Talking Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations – Dev diary 2: Trade Improvements

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Besuchov

Studio Manager, PDS
Paradox Staff
64 Badges
Mar 6, 2001
  • Sengoku
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Impire
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Diplomacy
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
Talking Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations – Dev diary 2: Trade Improvements

Time for the next Dev diary where I tell you a little bit about the features that will appear in the upcoming Wealth of Nations expansion for EU4. In this dev diary I will dive straight into some of the trade improvements we are doing and a especially on the thinking behind them. Bear in mind that we are still working on and tweaking these features so some of them might change between now and release.

Enhanced Merchant Republics
Merchants republics are among the theoretically really strong nations in the game. They have a extra merchant (giving them not only the merchant but a higher naval force limit), that have extra trade efficiency and on top of that a bonus to trade steering. Add to that the, frankly, a little bit OP ability to elect rulers. Yet you rarely see nations like Venice or the Hansa grow to conquer the world. One reason for this is their geographical weakness, especially the Hansa lacks strategic depth. Then add that to what I mentioned earlier, the trade republics are kind of dangerous. This, first order of business for Denmark - take out the Hansa and for Austria - take out Venice. So we started thinking, what kind of extra thing can we add to an expansion that adds an extra layer to the Merchant Republics.

In Wealth of Nations, trading with a merchant republic is no longer a zero sum game. When a merchant republic trades in a region this will add value to the goods that are produced in the region (technically we are increasing the amount of goods produced) in proportion to how big a share the Merchant Republic is taking of trade in a region. This means that as the likes of Venice and The Hansa are spreading their tentacles and send their merchants to take over the trade lanes the nations they are trading with becomes richer and until the point where the other want to become traders or Venice is threatening to become a land power, its a win win situation.

Main Trade Port
In the game trading is currently centered on your capital. Thats where you direct your trade and where you collect your money. In the base game you have some options, you can collect in other places anyway but take a trade power penalty or you can simply move your capital. In Wealth of Nations we are adding a new concept, the Main Trade Port that is the new place where you collect trade with your merchants. This trade port is easily visible in the trade mapmode and can be relocated using diplomatic power. Now as France for example you have a choice, do you go for a Mediterranean strategy or an atlantic strategy, and you don't have to relocate from Paris to do it.

Inland Trading
One aspect that we felt we wanted to add to is to make the option of inland trade nodes more attractive. On sea you can send trade ships in addition to conquering provinces and making trade deals. On land however, there are no ships. We figured that we wanted to change the dynamics of how trade works inland. We figured that if we wanted to do that one way would be to make the quality of your trading be much more influential inland. After all, trading on the oceans is all about controlling the sealanes and having lots of ships and ports while inland you are much more dependant on having access to local traders, making good deals and all that stuff that makes for a good trader. In Wealth of Nations at the moment, certain trade nodes have been marked as inland, in these trade nodes your trade efficiency is really the biggest factor in deciding how much power you get. For example for having a merchant present you will now get 50 extra trade power per trade efficiency so great trading nations have it easier inland, but on the other hand low stability will decrease inland trading so having a stable nation will also be a different factor on inland trade.

Changing role of traders
Finally a small ergonomic little thing that is making it into this expansion as a free feature. At the moment in EU4 if you have a merchant collecting trade and you want change the role of the trader you have to recall him and then send him out again. After you download the 1.6 patch you can now just change the trader from collecting to steering and he will just change what he is doing, no travel time involved. Thats just one example of all the little improvements and additions we are adding for free with the patch accompanying the expansion.

eu4_33.jpg

Third! :D Nice improvements I must say. Merchant republic sound even more fun. However, you say that they get extra trade efficiency and steering, but now they only get +10% global trade power (on top of the merchant ofc). Have you buffed them or something?

Last edited:
1. I appear to have missed the first dev diary... could anyone provide a link?
2. How much trade power per trade efficiency do you get without a merchant? Do you need to own land in an inland node to transfer in it or collect from it?
3. Is there a limit on distance from capital on Main Trade Ports? Otherwise it seems to me like everyone would be competing to get a province in Antwerpen/Venice/Sevilla to establish their MTP. Can it be an overseas province and still be made into a MTP?

Hey don't change things too drastically! 50 more trade power for each point of trade efficiency sounds crazy, even if it requires a merchant, and is only for inland trade nodes, in normal games there is usually a bunch of nations, all with merchants, so I fear it may get a bit chaotic.

I've noticed that when you turn Burgundy into Netherlands it remains a Kingdom instead of a Rep, precisely the Dutch Rep, which has some unique "skills". Will you change this?

1. I appear to have missed the first dev diary... could anyone provide a link?
2. How much trade power per trade efficiency do you get without a merchant? Do you need to own land in an inland node to transfer in it or collect from it?
3. Is there a limit on distance from capital on Main Trade Ports? Otherwise it seems to me like everyone would be competing to get a province in Antwerpen/Venice/Sevilla to establish their MTP. Can it be an overseas province and still be made into a MTP?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...%96-Developer-diary-1&p=17097985#post17097985

There's an event that turns you into a Dutch republic.

Where? is this event in 1.5? or will it be in the next patch? i didn't play burgundy in 1.5… thanks

I'm sorry but it never happened to me. what's the event name?

I hope this helps.

Code:
#Constitutionalism and the General Estates
country_event = {
	id = flavor_hol.3502
	title = "flavor_hol.EVTNAME3502"
	desc = "flavor_hol.EVTDESC3502"
	picture = ELECTION_REPUBLICAN_eventPicture

fire_only_once = yes

trigger = {
		OR = {
			AND = {