Talking Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations – Dev diary 2: Trade Improvements

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sounds great! I wonder if there will be certain CB's that will allow more trade power (like the current transfer trade power), I would like to see more trade wars between states like Oman, Venice etc.

You can get them, they won't make sense most of the time and will only fire in the late 1700s
most of the triggers are like this
Code:
trigger = {
		has_dlc = "American Dream"
		tag = USA
		[COLOR="#FF8C00"]is_year = 1781[/COLOR]
	}

The problem is you only get the tag USA AFTER you have won independence and formed the American Nation decision. So yeah the events make little to no sense. They should really change them to be more dynamic. As a greek colony of Byzantium, I don't know who this "George III of Britian" I'm angry about. Especially since this is paid for content.

The problem is you only get the tag USA AFTER you have won independence and formed the American Nation decision. So yeah the events make little to no sense. They should really change them to be more dynamic. As a greek colony of Byzantium, I don't know who this "George III of Britian" I'm angry about. Especially since this is paid for content.
It's sad that a DLC that made colonial independence better than just 'Suddenly cores are now here! Enjoy the rebels' missed the chance to make more (and proper) use of the "over 50 new, unique events, 10 themed event pictures, as well as several new unit models to the United States of America."

There's also the issue of not getting the idea set when you form the USA (Even though the events, unique government(s) and missions can fire)

Please add unique government to Commonwealth. Noble Republic does not fit. Commonwealth was elective monarchy where nobles choose the KING to his death. His sons did not have rights to the throne - nobles choose the KING again. Candidates to the throne could be kings and princes from other countries and then personal union has been created.

Last edited:
I see Kurland in the screenshot.

But, are the animals facing the right way?

One of the interesting little extra things that comes with this expansion is that when you play as Riga or Livonia, you can form courland, complete with new unique ideas. One of the many good ideas that float around on the forums that sometimes makes it into the game.

I do hope all units and building will become a lot costlier in the later centuries like a global inflation rate. Will make republics and trade companies which generate gold a lot stronger as a result. Make gold just as precious as Monarch Points.

Is it possible? active or inactive trade routes.

dear developers. I ask on behalf of the community if "inactive" trade routes are possible?
one great example were something like this can be Implemented:

let´s look at Genoa trade node, right now it trades to Bordeaux and Seville. instead of having the Bordeaux trade route from the beginning, it would be in 1444 start date, an "inactive" trade route, meaning that for all perpuses, Genoa is a an End node in the beginning.

however, when France is able to expand in to north Italy, Ideally take Savoy, and take Genoa itself, France can act a decision (or something of the kind) to "activated" the trade route to Bordeaux!

what would France need to do this? well, it can be part of peace resolutions OR you need to control the "center of trade" witch is Genoa. this OR you most have 20 or 30 % percent or more trade power to be possible to reactivate that route.
But what if say Austria beat back France,? took Genoa for then selfs but released savoy? then Austria should be able to close trade to France (as in: "disable the trade route").

this is of curse one example on were to implement this feature, many parts of the world could use something like this, were we can portray History without dynamic trade routes/nodes!

this could allow so many possibilities for moders to create "historical" trade scenarios and allow trade to be more dynamic with out dynamic trade nodes.
Not to mention this would be perfect for MP! this can make some areas very Important for some factions, it can perhaps even make the Italian wars more interesting :D

PS: can you add back provinces decisions? so many people are asking for that since day one!

but first I what to ask, is this possible?!

1- yes!

2- no

3 - maybe?

4 - not interested

5 - not now

any answer would be good, really, its so that we know if its possible

a "no comment" is preferred to no answer at all :)
thank you for your time

I honestly suggest the game adds a custom start option, with sliders to change AE, OE, rebel amount etc. I think it´s clear by now that people have way too different tastes. The game NEEDS extra customization.

I´d suggest settings like Permissive, Normal and "realistic/Hardcore".

BTW any changes to rebels in the DLC?

One thing I find confusing about the current trade system is the "downstream" power, where you get trade power from downstream nodes (I may be wrong, I'm confused by it after all). Wouldn't it make more sense to get power from "upstream" nodes, linked to how much money you are transfering from it? Like +3 trade power for every ducat you bring to the node from upstream. This would represent that those goods are travelling in your own ships, although they could still be diverted by privateers from other nations.

Such a system would make the Western Europe be more sensible, since colonizers would have some advantage over non-colonizers in pushing the trade toward their home nodes.

I totally agree with this!!

As far as I can tell the "trade power propagates downstream" function is what leads to loops and therefore prevents dynamic trade routes (merchant steering could be remedied by simply requiring a collection at the start of a chain).

Looking forward to all these features, although I would appreciate some clarification on this one:

In Wealth of Nations at the moment, certain trade nodes have been marked as inland, in these trade nodes your trade efficiency is really the biggest factor in deciding how much power you get. For example for having a merchant present you will now get 50 extra trade power per trade efficiency so great trading nations have it easier inland, but on the other hand low stability will decrease inland trading so having a stable nation will also be a different factor on inland trade.
What exactly is meant by "50 extra trade power per trade efficiency"? Trade Efficiency is a percentage figure. You can easily get at least +25% or so very early in the game. Surely this wouldn't translate into 25 times 50 = +1250 Trade Power!? That would make control of territory and CoT provinces completely irrelevant in inland nodes.

I'm sure my guess about what "50 extra trade power per trade efficiency" means must be wrong though. Either way, can I assume that these various new values will be moddable in defines, etc? :)