• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I like the idea of you doing a CK2 Old Gods AAR and then EU4 while you're waiting for a better converter.

Well, I don't have EU4 yet, so I don't think I'll be doing that. Thanks, sceluk for your effort, but I've decided to put off doing any more until after I get back from my vacation in the Byzantine Empire in early November.

Hi, this is the first AAR I've read start to finish. Reading the ck2 a little last and then over summer this year was great entertainment, like reading a historical fiction book, in the style of a real history book!

Looking forward to the next instalment, keep up the good work!

Well there's a converter out now, if it works well I'd love to see this continue into 1836!

Hey magritte, I dont know if you'll ever see this, but is there a possibility of uploading the CK2 save?
I got EU4 recently and I'm curious to try out the converter and play the converted save in EU4. Would lead to some interesting stuff for sure.

The CK2 file is here:

http://www.axifile.com/en/97D5DC5712

I make no guarantee that it won't blow up the converter, though, since the CK2 save is from an older version of the game (1.07, I think).

Update on the V2 status:

The game converts and is stable--I've actually played to 1936. However, something glitched with the system so that it thinks most countries have 0% literacy (and many pops have no ideology), and in most cases their literacy will not go up which basically prevents them for ever industrializing. It seems to be something related to the CK converter I used because I don't get that problem with a normal EU3 save. So I'm either going to have to wait for Idhrendur to figure out how to fix it or hand edit the Vic2 pops to give them literacy and ideology.

Did you have any interesting results in your game even with those bugs? I'm rather curious...

Interesting, sure, but the fact that so many European countries couldn't industrialize warped the Great Powers which warped the game completely, so I wouldn't expect a proper conversion to behave anything like it. The leading great power by the end of the game was China, and only three European nations--Norway, Etruria and Berry--were GP's at the end. Other GP's included Mali, Bihar, Japan, Peru, and an Etrurian spin-off dominion in North America.

Hurray for Etruria! A map of this crazy, illiterate, world, please?

I should like to see a map too, because this sounds fascinating. Maybe even an overview of what happened to the major players if it's not too much of a hassle. I take it China reunited? And Bihar evidently usurped Vijayanagar's role as main Indian power? Asia must look quite interesting... is Sibir still poking around there? Were there any interesting government changes or did they stay mostly the same?

For those who were wondering, this is what the CK2 save looks like after being run through the EU4 converter:

2013-12-05_00002_zpse9404548.jpg

I'm actually rather disappointed by it. A lot of the smaller nations were given to random larger powers, Poland was given massive chunks of land because of that (it ate around 6 other counties IIRC), there are two Bohemias that are almost the same colour, and of course the HRE is completely messed up because of that nation-eating by the larger powers.

In other words, hope that the current save will work in Vicky 2! :D

Ah cool to see that it works! (for the CK2 save). dat Byz.
magritte, you used the save that I converted or has the converter been updated and you converted it again?
TBh, I never checked whether the game actually plays till 1936 with my save, I just checked to see if it loads and played for a couple of years.

EDIT: I just realized the converter is for CK2, not DLC for EU4 (I thought I saw it listed when I bought EU4). Damn. I8Strudel, do you think you can upload the converted save? Thanks.

Last edited:
I used an updated version of the converter, though as said before there are still problems. It looks like the EU4 converter tends not to be as fond of vassals as Raziot's EU3 converter...but that's not enough to account for Poland. I wonder if in cases where there's more than one ruler in an EU3 province it automatically goes to the de Jure ruler or something.

The final V2 map looked like this:

I wasn't paying that close attention to what was going on but just at a quick scan of the final game, here are the fates of the major EU3 powers (V2 tags in brackets)

England (Great Britain) – failed to industrialize but was stable
Norway (Scandinavia) – ate Denmark & Sweden, became a leading industrial power, leading colonial power in the Pacific
Bohemia (Bohemia & Moravia) – industrialized secondary power
France – (France) almost wiped out
Berry (The Republic of)– dominates France, great power, large possessions in North America
Castille (Spain) – failed to industrialize but held onto its colonies
Navarra (Portugal) – similar to Castille
Etruria (Ireland) – powerful democracy, got most of southern Africa and western Canada, spun off major dominions in North America and northern South America
Frankfurt (Frankfurt am Main) – expanded a bit but failed to industrialize
Austria (Austria) – industrialized, fascist, got much of northern Africa, great power and rival to Etruria.
Hungary (Hungary)– stable but not industrializing
Byzantium (Byzantium) – consolidated and industrialized somewhat and became a secondary power
Funj – remained a backward sattelite of Byzantium
Mali (Liberia) – industrialized great power
Vijayanagar (Bastar) – Westernized and became a democracy but was pushed out of Peninsular India
Bihar (Sikkim) – dominates India leading secondary power
Malacca (Philippines) – civilized Bourgeois dictatorship
Ming (China) – recaptured most of China, westernized, dominant great power
Manchu (Manchuria) – secondary power, HMS government
Sibir (Serbia) – formed German Empire then went democratic, some minor German states in the west joined it
Leinster (The Democratic Union of) – lost most of its north American possessions but a scecondary power

For those who were wondering, this is what the CK2 save looks like after being run through the EU4 converter:

2013-12-05_00002_zpse9404548.jpg

I'm actually rather disappointed by it. A lot of the smaller nations were given to random larger powers, Poland was given massive chunks of land because of that (it ate around 6 other counties IIRC), there are two Bohemias that are almost the same colour, and of course the HRE is completely messed up because of that nation-eating by the larger powers.

In other words, hope that the current save will work in Vicky 2! :D

Vassals stay as vassals in the EU4 converter only if the crown authority is low or lowest in CK2 (IIRC), and as the AI tend to raise it asap ... as for nation gaining random independant minors, i guess it depends on culture and such.

*snip*

I8Strudel, do you think you can upload the converted save? Thanks.

It actually converts the save into a mod (to carry over the CK2 tags I imagine). Here's a link to the mod. When I tried to rename it and play it it wasn't being recognized by the EU4 launcher, so you can try changing the name if you want but I've left it as-is.

Vassals stay as vassals in the EU4 converter only if the crown authority is low or lowest in CK2 (IIRC), and as the AI tend to raise it asap ... as for nation gaining random independant minors, i guess it depends on culture and such.

The vassal part makes sense, but I'm confused about the land England & France acquired in the Alps. Surely that should have gone to German/Italian states instead?

@I8Strudel
France and England did have a fair amount of land in the Alps at the end of CK2. I don't think it was ever explained how they got it, but France gained a toehold in the north of Italy sometime between 1322 and 1334, as you can see on page 8 of the CK2 thread under "RISING MARATIME POWERS OF THE WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN: SARDINIA AND NAVARRA, 1301-1348."

~~~~~~~

@magritte2

Beautiful. I love the world that developed there.

In some parts it's a little hard to interpret the map because I don't know what the colors stand for. The Americas are especially confusing. (Is that magenta band across much of the US the same color as Galicia? I'd really like to know who owns where I live.)

So Norway, Denmark and Sweden got united? Did you see how that happened? War? Some kind of event? It seems a little odd considering how Denmark went republic while Norway was still a monarchy... or did that play a part in their union?

Who are all those colors around France? I assume the big greenish color is Berry. Is that also Berry with the big chunk of Spain, south of the darker green which I presume to be Navarra?

That grayish almost-lavender bluish maybe-almost-but-not-really-periwinkle-like color (okay, I'm not very good at describing colors) around Tunisia and Libya, is that Genoa?
I assume those little countries on the steppe near Scandinavia, Hungary and Byzantium are various former-HRE minors?
Etruria got converted as Ireland? Isn't that a tad, well, odd?
You say Sibir picked up some little German states in the west when it became the German Empire. Where? I don't see any signs of them.
Who's the dark plum color around where Mutapa used to be? Is that the same color in Brazil? Oh, is that Leinster?
Is Vijayanagar that weird green color around Pakistan and Sri Lanka and East Africa and a little patch around Laos and Thailand? Good for them.
Do I see Bihar's color around Kazakhstan and the north of Japan? Rather exciting. How'd that happen?
Did Byzantium retain any satellites other than Funj, or are the other countries in their area various independent succesor states?

I am so in love with this map. I bet you could have made a pretty nice AAR out of that game, even, though of course I look forward to your serious playthrough as well. (Kind of nice to see an evener playing field, though.)

In your conversion, who starts out as civilized? Do Mali and Byzantium make the cut? (It'd strike me as odd if Byzantium did and Mali didn't.) Or how about Vijayanagar? At the end of EU3, they're a pretty viable great power candidate (sixth place or so, by my estimation of the income and military stats) but they do lag behind an awful lot in technology, so maybe not. (My idea of greatest powers was Frankfurt, Hungary, England, Denmark, Norway, Vijayanagar, though if we take tech into account, I expect Etruria or Sibir would replace Vijayanagar. Which is a shame, because Vijayanagar is way more fun to type.)