• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am rooting for Byzantium, it has survived everything the world could throw at it and even though it is faltering at the moment it would not be the first time its come back like a phoenix stronger than before. Second favorite is Navarra who is a respectable middle weight with promise especially if it can get a strong ally.

Well done! I've enjoyed this very much!

I've lurked on this forum for a long time now, but I only today have decided to try to become a somewhat active part of it. So today I come out of the shadows and reveal that I've been following this since CKII. It's probably my favorite AAR(s?) I've ever read for these games. I hope to continue reading, and if I end up staying committed to my plan to become active on these forums, you may hear more from me in the future.

@Galren, there is still a Dai Viet, although it's an OPM.
Dang ... so much for the country of my heritage. They're completely screwed going into Vicky 2(unless they get REALLY lucky). Wait, so the upper part of Vietnam counts as one province? Dang ... Is the map going to be the same as EU3 or Vicky 2?

Last edited:
I love how Magritte has been bringing out so many lurkers to post. Including myself - my last post on this forum came two years ago or so.. Anyways Great AAR and for me it's an excellent finish/final goodbye to EU3.

I am rooting for Byzantium, it has survived everything the world could throw at it and even though it is faltering at the moment it would not be the first time its come back like a phoenix stronger than before. Second favorite is Navarra who is a respectable middle weight with promise especially if it can get a strong ally.

I too would love to see a Byzantine resurgence, however the paradox AI doesn't know how to recover from a large decline. Especially if it involves falling behind in tech.
:-(

I'm also surprised that so few people here give much credence to Hungary's potential. It has a strong economy, a bloody huge army, quite a lot of factories and despite being eastern it's tech levels are decent compared to the other great powers. It is also allied to the only nation thats a threat. To me it's the strongest contender for #2 place in Vic2 since Denmarks star fell.

The V2 part won't start until the converter is updated for HOD, unless it turns out to be fairly simple to edit an AHD save to make it HOD-compatible. So I have no real timeline at this point.

Really? Maybe I should try it then.
As much as I want to see the V2 part of the AAR, I'd advise against it. Personally I tried converting 3 different EU3 saves to V2 and playing them in HOD with 3 different outcomes. The first one would work just fine, but then it would crash in 1875 or 1876, the second one would always crash right after the beginning and finally the third one would crash after a couple of years of playing.

Of course, the choice is up to you, but if you decide to convert the game now and then play, let's say, 5 years without crashing, don't think that you'll be able to finish the game for sure. It still may crash at any point in time in the future.

It may all be a moot point if I can't get HOD to install correctly. Aargh! I'm getting this "a newer version of Visual C++" has been detected error on install and the program crashes saying it's missing the lua.dll . I've tried reinstalling V2 from scratch, tried reinstalling it from scratch with the antivirus turned off.

Are you using steam? It installed fine for me. Maybe there is a legal place you can d/l that specific lua file to put where it belongs? Also, are you manually deleting the files when you uninstall?

Sorry to hear you are having some tech problems wkth the install magritte2. Had a look in the v2 tech support forum, these topics may help you resolve the issue;

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-solutions&p=11980285&viewfull=1#post11980285

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...utable-has-been-detected&highlight=Visual+C++

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...rsion-is-TOO-NEW-for-AHD&highlight=Visual+C++

Hope this helps, or that you have managed to sort the problem another way. If you're still having difficulty then I'd recommend starting a topic in the tech support.

First post here.
Registered just to say how awesome this AAR is.

For that HoD problem, deleting the map cache folder and starting without steam for the first time worked for me. (like said in one of the links above).

Hope you get it working and hope the converter's updated soon.

p.s: i'm also rooting for Byzantium, i actually took control of it from your original save and they're in good shape, but i guess a human is still better than AI. even a newbie like me.