Am I the only one that's a little thrown off by this?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I responded to you because you are annoying most people here, and because I thought you should be informed that you look like an idiot so I was explaining why.

Well thanks but no thanks,i dont need/want your Explantion nor do i need/want your insults .
I also think your the last person i want to be informed from.

Do yourself a favor and dont get so angry,its bad for the health,Mr i speak for everybody.

And since iam getting infraction points from left to right, i will stop posting in here now.(rejoice)

Last edited:
You are free to discuss your opinions on business models chosen by us, and have your questions answered. But do so in a civilized way!

What? Johan said HoI 3 is the reason why they are being more focused in their games instead of having insane feature bloat.

Here's what I was refering to:
If you don't want day#1 dlc, you can go back to the time before we did it.. And enjoy games in the high quality of HoI3 1.0.

Using the logic of "It's either Day 1 DLCs, or HoI3-style releases"

I did not say there would always be a day 1 DLC, but that there would always be something left out of the game. Ergo there will always be something that could be a day 1 DLC. The other part of my post is that the actual release day of the DLC is irrelevant because it's a different team working on it, so this fixation on day 1 is silly. Is your stance that Paradox can include anything and everything they would like to in the base game and A)release on schedule B)release on budget?

It very well may be that Portugal should have seen more development time in the base game as you say, but that would take development time away from something else: development under a schedule and a budget is a zero-sum process. So ultimately, including the Portugal content would have left something else for a hypothetical DLC, day 1 or day 500. That's my point.

Your point appears to be that Paradox is purposely choosing shorter development cycles and smaller budgets in order to make more money and their success as a company proves that they are, to some degree, ripping us off by doing so. They could have done this day 1 DLC and a lot more and still sold the game at $50 and made a tidy profit. Having been around here as long as you have, I can only say I don't agree, but you are entitled to your opinion. But guess what, even if they done exactly that, something would still have gotten left out and still could have been made as a day 1 DLC.

Obviously that there's always something that theoretically could be Day 1 DLC, that's a statement of fact in regards to the limited manpower of gaming studios. And no, Paradox is going for longer and longer development cycles. And my point is quite simply put: You're paying for the game on release, but you're not getting the whole content developed on release. Their success so far has been based on competence and hard-work, not on ripping off customers, thus far.

Explain how it is "not very honest" to charge for DLC.

Read the post where I wrote that. The "not very honest" part is a conclusion to the arguments I had forwarded during the post.

Not quite. More accurately it points out why:
- DLC must be paid for - thus it will be given out for free.
- Some amount of DLC will usually be available on day 1

Presumably you are arguing that either:
1 - DLC available on day 1 is given to you for free - in which case you need to reread post #591 more carefully.
2 - or DLC available on day 1 should be artificially delayed by a few months.

Option 2 would actually be quite good PR, as it would stop those who lack the subtlety to differentiate between PI's business practices and EA's business practice from whining. On the downside it would also stop gamers getting there hands on available content as quickly (though said gamers may not care as they would be busy playing their new copy of EUIV).

Personally, I'd be entirely happy with option 2, as I want to see Paradox thrive, and day 1 DLC will cause anger amongst a sizable minority of their target market... even if that anger is illogical.

Option 2 is not honest as well, but does indeed get rid of the bad publicity Day 1 DLC gets. It remains a question to the marketing/financial department of Paradox to realize if the bad publicity and potential lost revenue from non-purchased games as a consequence of the generated bad publicity is greater than the foreseen sales of the Day 1 DLC.

But I'm actually referring to Option 1. It has to do with financial elasticity of the company and if the company has available manpower that it must innevitably pay (As the DLC team is under contract), and if there is a decision by the company to allocate to the developing game, and the company should absorb the costs of the action, so long as the end product still brings profit. Besides, there's also the side that with greater manpower working on the base game, it will translate into a more polished and developed game, and in turn generate more main game sales, which in turn mitigates or overrides the absorption cost that the company had to take when it chose to allocate further manpower/labour hours into the development of the game. So long as all available manpower is actually developing the man game rather than monetizable DLCs, developed in parallel with the game, then there's never any potential Day 1 DLC, only potential DLCs that start being developed post-release.

And you saw the huge free patches, graphical improvements and expansions given for free because they should have been in the base game anyway?

Actually, besides the patches (Unless you're suggesting gaming companies shouldn't have patching policies), I never saw graphical improvements (Unless they fall under the optimization criteria) or expansions being given for free. Likewise, I don't think they should have been in the main game (Besides HoI 2: Armageddon, but that's a different story).

Yes, it gives us more money.. So we can spend more time on the games.. and have a proper QA team, and more coders and scripters.

Following that route, you could have modulized EU4 into a EU3 clone, just with shiny new graphics and new base mechanics and new AI and game balance, and spent the rest of the EU4 development time just developing all new innovations as DLCs. That would have probably given you even more money to spend even more time . But fortunately you're more honest than that.

Opposite business model got us an understaffed team working lots of overtime and releasing games early to get money, and postrelease bugfixing being done on weekends in my sparetime.

I'm sure that an understaffed team needs to work lots of overtime in any business branch, regardless of the business model. And don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to DLCs in general, and from what I've seenl, your CK2 major DLCs look and are said to be exceptionally good and add a great deal to the original games. Regardless, your company and team expanded greatly since those days, without the help of Day 1 DLCs.

With this new business model, people can go home after working their office hours, and we don't get deaththreats because of buggy games.

I don't think Day 1 DLCs are the difference between working like a slave being flooded with complaints or living like a King, and getting unanimous acclaim.

But nevertheless, Day 1 DLCs is just a minor spot in a great company. Thank you for making the games you do.
ht_bow.gif

Actually, besides the patches (Unless you're suggesting gaming companies shouldn't have patching policies), I never saw graphical improvements (Unless they fall under the optimization criteria) or expansions being given for free. Likewise, I don't think they should have been in the main game (Besides HoI 2: Armageddon, but that's a different story).

That's exactly what I meant. In the "good old days", support was minimal and restricted to the last version of the game, patches rarely added anything of real importance and you did not pay for graphic improvement because there weren't graphics improvements at all. You wanted something, you paid. You didn't want it, too bad - the company and the community as a whole had moved on. The "old model", the one that brought the company here, was measures worse than this. If a day-1 DLC helps propelling the same huge quantity of support CK2 is getting, then I'll buy the "read text in game" and "see the map" DLCs. :D

Option 2 is not honest as well, but does indeed get rid of the bad publicity Day 1 DLC gets. It remains a question to the marketing/financial department of Paradox to realize if the bad publicity and potential lost revenue from non-purchased games as a consequence of the generated bad publicity is greater than the foreseen sales of the Day 1 DLC.

There you go with the "not honest" bull crap again. Its completely honest. They are telling you the DLC is not free, you get it as part of the preorder. You dont like that, but its not dishonest.

Oh and by the way, judging by the success of CK2, this model is a financial success. Dont think there is much "Potential for lost revenue" TBH. In fact if you pop over to the CK2 forums, people are actively asking for more DLC.......that's right, to pay for!

I've read the thread and it's ..... I don't think there are words to describe it :D

However I read some posts that said that the benefits of the society were growing etc.... Could someone gime his sources because I'd really like to see that ;)

Reply to op:

It's supply and demand. Not emotion. Basic economics tells you the idea is to price point where people will buy your game to support the costs of doing business and the return on investment that makes being in business worth it vs. say, investing your money in real estate or the stock market.

I'm sure that the peeps at Paradox also layer that decision with a concept of what's fair and what they believe their product is worth - primarily because they've clearly demonstrated they care very much for their fan base (evidence of community feedback incorporated into patches, direct involvement and reply in the forums from developers and executives...not just moderators, etc.) But the ultimate definition of what something is worth is made by the buyer. If you think it's worth it, you buy it. If you don't, you don't.

Feelings about being cheated after the fact are just spoiled grapes... and aren't all that rational. Think of it like this:

"I'm gonna grumble and walk away feeling bad about buying this game at that price, even though I wanted the game bad enough that I decided to pay that price."

Buy it if you want it. Simple as that. And then enjoy the hell out of it. I'm sure it's going to provide hours and hours of enjoyment. Hell... if you enjoy it for 10 hours that's like $4.44 per hour for entertainment. Cheap at any standard that.

The "old model", the one that brought the company here, was measures worse than this. If a day-1 DLC helps propelling the same huge quantity of support CK2 is getting, then I'll buy the "read text in game" and "see the map" DLCs. :D

You are right. What really matters to me is that Paradox games are getting better and better. Their recent titles have become more polished, fully supported and constantly receiving wonderful amount of new content. And the final price seems quite fair to me. You only need to see people playing EU4 beta to realize how careful and dedicated devs have been towards their most famous strategy game series. Among other subtle details, even tutorials have been of concern lately. The sort of DLC policy Paradox uses (old or new) comes second in my opinion, though I have to admit I feel particularly happy about their current patches/DLC model. No complaints on my part at all. If EU4 happens to be as great as it seems to be, I will happily buy all DLCs - and ask for more.

Fuck no. I never want to go back there. With this new business model, people can go home after working their office hours, and we don't get deaththreats because of buggy games.

Having been here since EUI, I find the new system a vast improvement as well.

More polished games, extra content comes out faster.

With this new business model, you're not getting my money. Was the Crusader Kings 2 method of business really so horrible for you? Where you had cheap portrait and music DLCs for those who wanted them and really good expansion-type DLCs for real content? Crusader Kings 2 is one of my favorite games with an excellent business model. I guess the game that earned you so much popularity recently didn't make enough money for you to justify not shafting your customers.

With this new business model, you're not getting my money. Was the Crusader Kings 2 method of business really so horrible for you? Where you had cheap portrait and music DLCs for those who wanted them and really good expansion-type DLCs for real content? Crusader Kings 2 is one of my favorite games with an excellent business model. I guess the game that earned you so much popularity recently didn't make enough money for you to justify not shafting your customers.

Um, CKII is the new business model. HOI3 et al was the old model.

Think of it like this..... the deluxe edition of the game is only $44.99, cheaper than many other games out there that will give you only a fraction of the hours of enjoyment the typical Paradox game. Simply act like the standard edition doesn't exist and buy the deluxe edition, getting everything!

What we don't want to appear is a shit ton of events dlcs, I still buy everything, but I like to play with people who play the same base game as me.

What we don't want to appear is a shit ton of events dlcs, I still buy everything, but I like to play with people who play the same base game as me.
Actually, I do want those.

Status
Not open for further replies.