• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's time for another cycle of developer diaries on Crusader Kings II and I thought I'd begin by talking about the new start date and giving you a broad overview of the upcoming expansion; The Old Gods. Yes, we're pushing back the earliest possible start date to 867 AD. This is a special bookmark that comes with the expansion (and you will not be able to start at dates between 867 and 1066 without modding.)

Europe is a very different place in 867... Many of the familiar countries have not yet come into being. There is no Hungary, no Poland, no Russian principalities and the British Isles and Scandinavia are full of petty kingdoms. The Carolingians still rule the Franks, but the great Empire of Charlemagne has been divided between four of his descendants. In the Byzantine Empire, a new dynasty has just risen - the House of Makedon - destined to restore some of its former glory. The Muslims are in the middle of a drawn-out crisis as the once enormous Abbasid Caliphate has fractured, with a succession of Caliphs being murdered by their own Turkish generals.

CKII_ToG_DD_01_Europe_867.png

Most importantly, however, the North and East are completely dominated by bustling tribes of unrepentant heathens who remain less than impressed with the White Christ. Why debase yourself before a dead man on a cross when you can loot the riches of his fat clergy instead? Just as the fury of the Northmen descends on the undefended shores of Europe, other, equally pagan threats are on the rise in the steppes of Tartaria. Like the Avars before them, the feared Magyar horse lords are pushing into Europe from beyond the Carpathians. Why is all this more important than the affairs of Christians and Muslims? Because with The Old Gods, all these heathens are finally playable! (But you probably knew that already. :D )

CKII_ToG_DD_01_Magyar_Invasion.png

Playing a pagan chieftain is at least as different as playing a Muslim. Not only that, there are significant differences between the various heathen religions. Some are aggressive in nature, like the Norse and Tengri beliefs, and some are more defensive, like the Finno-Ugric faith. For example, the warlike Norse will suffer a prestige loss for being at peace for too long, and will need to wage war or set sail to pillage and loot. The Finns don't have this problem, but on the other hand, their vassals will dislike having their troops raised (like Christians). Some faiths get defensive bonuses and larger garrisons in their homelands, some don't, etc. However, they can all potentially be reformed to withstand the allure of the new religions.

CKII_ToG_DD_01_The_Great_Heathen_Army.png

In the coming weeks, I will explain the different religions in detail. I will, of course, also talk about other new features, like traversible rivers, new cultures, Zoroastrians, Adventurers, and much more. Stay tuned, and here are some more screenshots to tease and titillate!

CKII_ToG_DD_01_Loot_and_Pillage.pngCKII_ToG_DD_01_Varangians.pngCKII_ToG_DD_01_The_Last_Zoroastrians.png

[video=youtube;V-edUnWQgyM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-edUnWQgyM[/video]

Web page: http://www.crusaderkings.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Crusaderkings
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Crusaderkings

Last edited by a moderator:
So from what I can see here, the Zoroastrians use Muslim-style shields with Christian coats of arms, but they use the Pagan interface skin? That's a really strange mix. Wouldn't they be better off using the Muslim interface? The Pagan skin feels very Northern European, with the wooden overlays and so forth.

So from what I can see here, the Zoroastrians use Muslim-style shields with Christian coats of arms, but they use the Pagan interface skin? That's a really strange mix. Wouldn't they be better off using the Muslim interface? The Pagan skin feels very Northern European, with the wooden overlays and so forth.
Probably place holders, I'd guess.

We can't see it yet, the screenshot was made while playing one of Norse warlords. But I agree that Muslim one will suit them more.

We can't see it yet, the screenshot was made while playing one of Norse warlords.
It was, and I actually didn't notice so I could be very wrong -- but if you look at the satrap's dynasty shield you'll see it's the same circular design with the same sort of edging as visible on King Halfdan I 'Whiteshirt' of Jorvik's dynasty shield. That suggests to me that they probably are indeed using the Pagan interface, at least at this point in time.

Playing Harald Fairhair seems like it'll be quite interesting under the new mechanics, but wonder if Gangerolf will be around as well. I know he was in his early twenties in the new startdate so he'll be an interesting character to play as given what he supposedly did.

I have my own plans. While the Vikings are all off raiding England, I'll unite the followers of Suomenusko and drive the damn Norse out of Scandinavia!
Heh, I have the same plan. Along with Rurik - Novgorod - Rus, Great Prussia, colonizing Germany be West Slavs, some Tengri stuff and driving Muslims out of Persia in the name of Ahura Mazda.
Oh, and dat navigable rivers. It mean, that we likely now can play as Novgorod republic, even if it mediterranean merchant republic. But it also make me sad, because it mean that we will not see special mechanic for Novgorod.
Also, can European pagans convert to Zoroastrianism?

Also, can European pagans convert to Zoroastrianism?
There's nothing stopping anyone from converting to any religion. There never has been.

Playing Harald Fairhair seems like it'll be quite interesting under the new mechanics, but wonder if Gangerolf will be around as well. I know he was in his early twenties in the new startdate so he'll be an interesting character to play as given what he supposedly did.

Why would they add a fairy tale character into the game? Gångerolf is most likely fiction.

Why would they add a fairy tale character into the game? Gångerolf is most likely fiction.
Would you prefer I used Hrólfr Rögnvaldsson as he was actually called instead? Wether or not he's responsible for the deeds some say he did I won't pretend to know as I'm by no means a historian. All I know is that danes, icelanders and norwegians don't seem to agree about it and the only sources I have about the man can be argued to be biased(the norwegian wikipedia) or lacking in information(the english wikipedia) as I couldn't see any proof for which claim is true. Either way his family is of particular interest due to their location.

Regardless of which version the devs feel is the most true, I'm not particularly fussed. It's going to be fun no matter what. :happy:

Would you prefer I used Hrólfr Rögnvaldsson as he was actually called instead? Wether or not he's responsible for the deeds some say he did I won't pretend to know as I'm by no means a historian. All I know is that danes, icelanders and norwegians don't seem to agree about it and the only sources I have about the man can be argued to be biased(the norwegian wikipedia) or lacking in information(the english wikipedia) as I couldn't see any proof for which claim is true. Either way his family is of particular interest due to their location.

Regardless of which version the devs feel is the most true, I'm not particularly fussed. It's going to be fun no matter what. :happy:

Rollo is danish in the game files so it seems paradox have already picked a side.

Looks like the county Småland in southern sweden is smaller than it was before. Is it just me or what?

I live in the northern part of modern småland and in CK2 previus vertions smålands northern part ended ut at the lake vättern in the middle of sweden. In this verision it looks like they have included northern Småland into Östergötland instead.

Comments?

Looks like the county Småland in southern sweden is smaller than it was before. Is it just me or what?

I live in the northern part of modern småland and in CK2 previus vertions smålands northern part ended ut at the lake vättern in the middle of sweden. In this verision it looks like they have included northern Småland into Östergötland instead.

Comments?

You're right. Näsborg would be removed from Småland then. If they removed some barony slots I guess this is a balance thing as the county of Småland is far too powerful giving it's historical non-existing importance at the time. Giving Östergötland more power is the right thing to do. Or they just didn't like it the way it looked. We don't know.