Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If you have room for a politician and administrator I'd like to join the character queue. I'm willing to cool my heels back on Earth until an administrative position opens up.

If you have room for a politician and administrator I'd like to join the character queue. I'm willing to cool my heels back on Earth until an administrative position opens up.

Am I the only one who finds this a bit.... scary?

I'm having trouble assigning missiles to my new fighters. Is there a trick to it? I have both produced and I'm assuming you do it from the ordinance panel on the individual ship.
Edit: Also, how do you repair fighters? Do you have to assign them to a ship or have their own maintenance sections?

Last edited:
Sounds like you have an incomplete installation, you sure you completed all the required steps:

- Run the setup
- Unzip the 4.70 patch
- Unzip the 5.42 patch

Oh, there's the step I missed. I ran setup, unzipped the 5.40 patch, then the 5.42. Fitting the 4.91 patch in between Setup and the 5.40 patch fixed it, since that's where all the image directories were hidden. Thanks. ^_^

So the planet is just an ice ball with masses of very low grade ore. No big deal, but it might be useful if there's some high grade ore elsewhere in the system.

Oh, and there are alien ruins

:cool:

Okay, I'm stuck.

Been trying to set the game for myself for a few hours now. Roughly following the beginning of this AAR with of course differences due to the variations in the original universe.

I got all the techs I need, designed 3 classes of ships, geosurvey and gravsurvey (went for smaller sizes by sacrificing some speed - I had to fit them in under 5000 tons because of my shipyard limitations). Retooled a shipyard for each type of design.

I can't figure out how to buy ships at the beginning. There is no button that will let me do that (like there was for buying research). I do have SM activated. Help?

LOL I found it. It's in the Spacemaster menu "fast OB creation" :)

BTW here's my sub-5000t design for survey ships

Geosurvey class Geosurvey Ship 4,900 tons 482 Crew 877.8 BP TCS 98 TH 140 EM 0
2857 km/s JR 3-50 Armour 1-25 Shields 0-0 Sensors 6/1/0/2 Damage Control Rating 5 PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 38% IFR: 0.5% Maint Capacity 560 MSP Max Repair 306 MSP Est Time: 2.59 Years

J5250(3-50) Military Jump Drive Max Ship Size 5250 tons Distance 50k km Squadron Size 3
Nuclear Pulse Engine E8 (7) Power 40 Fuel Use 80% Signature 20 Armour 0 Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 200,000 Litres Range 91.8 billion km (372 days at full power)

Thermal Sensor TH1-6 (1) Sensitivity 6 Detect Sig Strength 1000: 6m km
Geological Survey Sensors (2) 2 Survey Points Per Hour

Basically I cut off one pulse engine, and since the crew went just under 500 I was able to cut a small crew quarters module as well.

Last edited:
In the distant future, this might be a part of the awacs design for instance.

Sounds good. By the time we are building AWACS, we might have some pretty cool Techs.

Got it, but now I have run into another problem, after successfully launching my ships all my Gravitational survey vessels are frozen and show (SP needed (insert number here)) by their name.

It takes time to survey objects or jump points... the larger the body, the longer it takes. Venus takes much longer to survey than the Moon does.

Might I inquire what traits allowed me to so gloriously succeed on Mars? Also, what am I doing right now? Scanning asteroids?

No really remarkable traits. Survey Bonus +26%, Operations Bonus +15%, Fleet Initiative 188, Wealthy, Disorganized.

I think you got lucky. Both of the medals awarded so far were mostly won by luck... but that's perfectly valid. Luck is a very valuable trait in a Naval officer, and ought to be encouraged. Any Military officer will assure you that it's better to be lucky than good. That's one reason why I wanted Coinneach to be part of this away team mission... aside from the fact that he was the one who discovered the planet in the first place; he's also been lucky so far, and we could use some of that luck on this mission.

After the Mars survey, you examined several asteroids, finding minerals on a few but nothing Earth-shaking, then did some prospecting in the Moons of Jupiter (finding minerals on Io), then headed out into the outer solar system. I'm hoping that you will find some major reserves of Sorium in the atmosphere of one of the outer Gas Giants... we have two Scoop Diver tankers waiting for a Gas Giant target to start mining.

I'm having trouble assigning missiles to my new fighters. Is there a trick to it? I have both produced and I'm assuming you do it from the ordinance panel on the individual ship.

I doubt that you have fitted Magazines to your Fighter (they're pretty bulky and heavy), so your Fighter will only be able to carry the chambered rounds... the missiles that are actually inside the launcher tubes. No reloads without Magazines. They need to return to base to reload. They get loaded on the "Ship => Ordinance" window. First, of course, you need to have completed the relevant research and designed some Missiles of the correct size. Pretty sure that's at the very bottom edge of the Research window.

Have you miniaturized your launchers? I did (for Fighters only).

Edit: Also, how do you repair fighters? Do you have to assign them to a ship or have their own maintenance sections?

Fighters can only repair when inside a Hangar bay... on a Carrier or in a Fighter Base PDC.

Jules Verenti has been appointed as Director of Naval Intelligence at Fleet Ops HQ. Fleet Initiative 184, Intel +30%, modest, tolerant, embraces change.

Hrabar has been appointed as Director of Communications at Fleet Ops HQ. Crew Training 50, Fleet Initiative 190, FTR Ops +10%, Espionage +15%, Communications +20%, impatient, uncaring, stubborn, many social interests.

Syber has been appointed as Research Scientist. Logistics and Ground Combat research +25%, Admin 4, intolerant, observant, result oriented, Currently working on : Orbital Habitat Module to enable Space Station design.

Konstantin Mikhailovsky has been appointed as Squadron Commander for our #2 Squadron of Fighters (Felix Sylvestris is CO of Squadron #1) each Squadron will eventually number 11 Fighters. Crew Training 25, Fleet Initiative 137, FTR Ops +20%, ambitious, decisive, intolerant, stubborn.

Elise Mueller has been appointed as Research Scientist, Sensors and Fire Control research +15%, Survey +10%, Admin 2, Currently working on : upgrading fire control target tracking speed +2000 km/sec (commanding 10 labs out of our 40 total), research project due to complete in five months.

XVDravarVX : Once our Xenology Team reaches the alien ruins on Procyon VII, they will discover that the original alien name for the planet was Dravar XV.

Richard Nixon has been appointed as an Admin 4 Administrator. In view of his Xenology rating of +10%, he will be appointed as Planetary Governor of the Procyon VII (aka Dravar XV) alien ruin excavation site.

Jolt has joined the game as a Colonel in the Ground Forces. Xenology +15%, Ground Combat +10%, focussed, self-confident. No current assignment.

Last edited:
Awesome. Well, hopefully I can find those minerals for you when ya need em.

Sounds good. By the time we are building AWACS, we might have some pretty cool Techs.

Richard Nixon has been appointed as an Admin 4 Administrator. In view of his Xenology rating of +10%, he will be appointed as Planetary Governor of the Procyon VII (aka Dravar XV) alien ruin excavation site.

Thank you for entrusting such a vital task to me! Might I enquire what other skills and traits I have?

To the personnel under my command at the Procyon VII Excavation Site:

I am stern but fair. I'll have no nonsense going on at the Excavation Site. We will complete the monumental task before us and our very names will be pages in history!

Situation Report April 2, 2025.

G_019_Situation.jpg

Our Battle Task Force continues training manoevers. A private consortium has formed a shipping line, the Pratt Shipping Company, and has built or purchased a Mule class Freighter and started trading with our colony on Mars. This will provide extra tax revenue to the system treasury and will improve morale on the colony... but it gives the Navy another responsibility: trade protection.

Commander Velko reports that the atmosphere of Saturn holds over a million tons of low-grade Solium (20%). This is both good news (the tonnage) and bad (the low concentration). Hopefully our scouts can find better Solium concentrations on Uranus and Neptune... my scientific advisors tell me that the Solium concentration should get higher towards the outer edges of the Solar system.

Our colony on Mars continues to expand rapidly, and has already reached 300,000 people, with roughly 40,000 of them working in local service industries and another 50,000 working on supply and life support tasks. This leaves 210,000 colonists available as a work-force, so we have started shipping some Earth factories out to Mars on loan. They will use these loaned Factories to produce more Factories of their own... and when they can finally return our loaned industrial plant a few years from now, they will have "boot-strapped" up to an industrial colony. In the first three months, our Mule Freighters under Lieutenant Commander Stuckenschmidt have managed to ship 75 robot mines out to Mars, and followed them with a magnetic catapult mass driver, which will soon start hurtling the refined ores back to Earth.

The first mass driver shipment is due to arrive at Earth within a week. Thank God. Our need is great... our on-hand stockpile of Neutronium has dropped to only 1251 tons, which will be exhausted within months leaving us with a production shortfall (supply minus demand) of about -2700 tons per year. We need that Neutronium desperately.

Admin 4, Xeno +10%, Mining +10%, punctual, unreliable.

Ha ha! Thanks you for the info. So I always complete the job on time even though the quality of the work is pretty bad.

Don't worry! For this historic missions I will attempt to overcome my shortcomings!

In the first three months, our Mule Freighters under Lieutenant Commander Stuckenschmidt have managed to ship 75 robot mines out to Mars, and followed them with a magnetic catapult mass driver,

"Be in it for the long haul."

(Motto of the Logistics Department)