• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So that time of the week again and its time for me to make something up to write about. Today I decided to talk about regions and forts, two new concepts in Crusader Kings II.

First, regions isn't something that is going to affect you directly but it works somewhat like how it have done in the Europa Universalis Games. It's an area on the map that denotes a region with a name and it's mostly used to improve on our localization of things, such as hunting for tigers in India or hunting a deer in western Europe. So no longer will you find Tigers in the woods of Poland if you manage to move your capital of your Indian Empire out of the subcontinent. You can see these regions by opening up a province and click on the new region icon to get an outline of the region. It's also possible to search for regions in the old title finder.

ck2_11.jpg

Next is a gameplay feature you will actually interact a bit more actively in. It's called forts which is an additional type of holding you can build in provinces next to the normal ones and trade posts. Because of this we had to extend the province view with a window you can open and close which will show "extra holding slots" which will contain the trade post and fort slots. The fort can be built anywhere from your own territory even enemy provinces that you have under your control. Their biggest advantage is that they are fortifications that you can build up really fast and very cheaply. The main point of them being to let you build up a region as your march towards a big neighbor which will let you slow down their advance but at the same time let you set up forward positions in the enemy territory.

ck2_12.jpg

They do have some added bonuses though beyond that, for instance in Tribal land where you have the homeland attrition bonus, that bonus will be removed from the province as long as you have a fort there to supply your troops with. There is also a feature for the forts that is too related to the expansion so I can't delve into that any deeper.

And again here's some more random changelogs
- Fixed crash when a war is invalidated because of no defender
- Fixed the "hostile against everyone" bug
- Fixed bug where the AI would keep their units attached to characters they no longer participate in a war with.
- Added alert for having high prio minor titles available to grant.
- Fixed various provinces in India that had no rulers scripted for some start dates.
- Monks and other people living in celibacy will no longer try to arrange stealth marriages if ruled by a patrician.
- Defensive religions now properly also give defensive modifiers for Camel Cavalry and Elephants.

explain how? if they're empty where is the wealth coming from?
They aren't empty per se. The villages there just aren't big enough to count as a holding. It's a way to make a better province better even for a tribal ruler.

Reactions:
Damn, I expected forts to function as tribute collection markers, especially for inland republics. Would've been fitting for Novgorod to have forts in Northeastern Europe instead of owning tribal holdings.

Well, Groogy did say there was one more function that he can't tell us about because it's DLC related. So keep your fingers crossed.

Reactions:
Well, Groogy did say there was one more function that he can't tell us about because it's DLC related. So keep your fingers crossed.
True enough. I'm guessing they'll be some kind of milestone between tribal and feudal.

Any chance of giving us some way to control de jure drift (at least at duchy level) in the upcoming patch? For example being able to grant a "non de-jure" county to a vassal duke, or a "non de-jure" duchy to a vassal king - so that you can adjust the power balance between your vassals... Or (can I pray) remove the de jure drift of duchies completely? It's my #1 least loved feature in my #1 loved game!

Reactions:
Any chance of giving us some way to control de jure drift (at least at duchy level) in the upcoming patch? For example being able to grant a "non de-jure" county to a vassal duke, or a "non de-jure" duchy to a vassal king - so that you can adjust the power balance between your vassals... Or (can I pray) remove the de jure drift of duchies completely? It's my #1 least loved feature in my #1 loved game!
Do duchies de jure drift?

Reactions:
explain how? if they're empty where is the wealth coming from?
That's why they added small huts in the holding illustrations. They are not really empty.

The idea behind it is that the holdings in tribal provinces are filled with small, scattered tribes. That's why you cannot build in it. But they contribute to your wealth by paying tribute to you.

Once you go feudal or republican, this population regroups into the main castle or city holdings, that's why the holdings become empty and constructible.

Reactions:
Even the change log part was too short to hype for.
I think you're missing the part where they're running out of things to tell us about the free patch. NEXT WEEK WE GET DLC NEWS!... or everyone's favorite troll Groogy will post a whole devlog with Hedgehogs

Reactions:
I think you're missing the part where they're running out of things to tell us about the free patch. NEXT WEEK WE GET DLC NEWS!...

or not.

i'm convinced it'll be not. why not just tell us now. they've yet to announce any of the three dlcs for 2015 yet, and it's basically June.

unless "something something something myths and legends" counts as an announcement.

(it doesn't, in case anyone's wondering)

Reactions:
I think you're missing the part where they're running out of things to tell us about the free patch. NEXT WEEK WE GET DLC NEWS!... or everyone's favorite troll Groogy will post a whole devlog with Hedgehogs

I can do that no problem. Have a sneak picture of next dev diary.

219608_402267729822900_875473722_o.jpg

Reactions:

I think you are misinterpreting the situation. I think they have plenty of stuff to tell us about from the free patch. I just think that they are running out of stuff they can tell us before revealing the DLC.

Last edited:
Reactions:
In my opinion, this is the best thing we will release, and I loved Rajas Of India and The Old Gods a lot.

Reactions:
Do forts count against your demesne limit or can you just build as many as you like? Or is there some other limit similar to the trade post limit for republics? Also, how exactly does the fort slow down enemy occupation of your lands - does it act as the 'first' holding in a slot when sieging, or do you not get the full warscore for seiging a province if there is still a fort there or is it something else I've missed entirely? Also is the destruction thing a risk/reward deal where you can spend money on upgrades to get a more powerful fort in a useful border province or whatever, at the risk of losing it all, or is it simply that forts are meant to be a cheap and cheerful method of defense?

From a modding perspective, can regions overlap like in EU4? If, for example someone wanted to make a dedicated hunting mod, would they be able to define the ranges of various animals as wolf region, deer region, bear region and so on, that could overlap and be seperate from regions that might be used for other things, or would they instead have to just go for more approximate ranges based whatever regions happen to be in use? And is it possible to use regions in things other than events - would it be possible to make a mod tying the recruitement of elephant retinues, and building of elephant buildings to the India region (or elephant range if overlapping regions are possible?) and then have an 'acquire elephants' CB for anyone who wants to get into said region?

Reactions: