• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #2 - Capacities

ThumbnailTemplate_1920x1080.png

Hello and welcome back to another Victoria 3 dev diary! Today we will be talking about three of the four of the main ‘currencies’ of the game - namely Capacities (the last being Money, which we’ll of course come back to later).

We mentioned in the very first dev diary that there is no ‘mana’ in Victoria 3, and since this dev diary is about the game’s “currencies”, I want to be clear on what I mean by that. When we say there is “no mana” we mean that the resources in Victoria 3 arise and are spent in clearly defined ways that are parts of the simulation, not from an overly abstract concept or vague idea. There is, of course, some degree of abstraction involved (all games are abstractions after all), but we want all the game’s currencies to be strongly rooted in the mechanics and not feel arbitrary.

But enough about that and onto Capacities. What exactly are they?

Well, for starters, calling them currencies is actually not accurate. Capacities are not a pooled resource and are not accumulated or spent, but instead, have a constant generation and a constant usage (similar to for example Administrative Capacity in Stellaris), and you generally want to keep your usage from exceeding your generation. Each capacity represents one specific area of your nation’s ability to govern and is used solely for matters relating to that area.

As mentioned, Capacities are not accumulated, so excess generation is not pooled, but instead there is an effect for each Capacity which is positive if generation exceeds usage and quite negative if usage exceeds generation - a country that incorporates territories left and right without expanding its bureaucratic corps may quickly find itself mired in debt as tax collection collapses under the strain!

Bureaucracy represents a nation’s ability to govern, invest in and collect taxes from its incorporated territory. It is produced by the Government Administration building, where many of a nation’s Bureaucrats will be employed. All of a nation’s Incorporated States use a base amount of Bureaucracy which increases with the size of their population, and further increased by each Institution (such as Education or Police - more on those later!) that a country has invested in. Overall, the purpose of Bureaucracy is to ensure that there is a cost to ruling over, taxing and providing for your population - administrating China should not be cheap!

The Swedish Bureaucracy is currently a bit overworked and the country could certainly benefit from another Government Administration building or two.
bureaucracy.PNG

Authority represents the Head of State’s personal power and ability to enact change in the country through decree. It is generated from your Laws - generally, the more repressive and authoritarian the country, the more Authority it will generate - and is used by a variety of actions such as enacting decrees in specific states, interacting with Interest Groups and promoting or banning certain types of Goods. Overall, the purpose of Authority is to create an interesting trade-off between more and less authoritarian societies - by shifting the distribution of power away from the Pops into the hands of the ruler, your ability to rule by decree is increased, and vice versa.

The Swedish King has more Authority at his disposal than he is currently using, slightly speeding up the rate at which laws can be passed.
authority.PNG

Influence represents a country’s ability to conduct diplomacy and its reach on the global stage. It is generated primarily from your Rank (Great Powers have more Influence than Major Powers and so on) and is used to support ongoing diplomatic actions and pacts, such as Improving Relations, Alliances, Trade Deals, Subjects and so on. Overall, the purpose of Influence is to force players to make interesting choices about which foreign countries they want to build strong diplomatic relationships with.

Sweden has plenty of unused Influence and could certainly afford to support another diplomatic pact or two!
influence.png

That’s all for today! Join us again next week as I cover something yet another topic that’s fundamental to Victoria 3: Buildings. See you then!

• 526Like
  • 119Love
Reactions:
I think its an edict, like state sponsored road maintenance
Would make sense if it also cost money
Edit: Nevermind it was said this is basically the force the province/pops to build the roads action.
old message: Even then it would be dumb. Like sure this road might not be economically beneficial, but when it comes to the military it is usefull nonetheless is enough to convince most sane people to stop complaining. And indeed this should basically only cost money or maybe some burea as well.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I see the flood of people falsely calling this "mana" just because it's resource management, and failing to understand what actually made "mana" bad design, is already happening.

The capacity system looks very interesting. I just hope there is a positive incentive to liberalizing your society and pursuing lower authority and not just a negative incentive of avoiding rebellions. Having high authority capacity only some from a reactionary society making it the unambiguously good option would really hurt gameplay and give players less of an option to shape their society.

Reactions:
Capacities seem fine. I worry a little about "buildings": Placing capacity caps on just about every sort of job was one of the root causes of the micromanagement hell of late-game Stellaris. It was far more manageable and conceptually understandable in Victoria 2 when it was just limited to craftsmen and clerks. Ah, well, I guess we'll get the full details next week.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Except that your only worry in Victoria 2 was your 1% ratio of Bureaucrats present in every state, and not much else.
Yeah well, that was the emergent gameplay from the system. But I worry that a complete rework will lead to the same emergent gameplay as in Stellaris, which in my opinion isn't optimal at all (only thing you worry about in Stellaris is to remain under your cap, so basically the same but with tedious micro). I would rather have seen a reason to care about the 1% and being able to influence it more in terms of wage, laws, taxes and education etc.

Maybe if they added bonuses for being above the golden ratio or some such. Doesn't need to be super complicated to generate more meaningful gameplay in such a complex game world.

Reactions:
Honestly I don't like how the building part sound, the cost for a functional bureaucracy should come from personal cost, buildings being abstracted. Similarly, I don't know if there is truly a need for an authority capacity: If it represent the ability of the central government to change things, bureaucracy would be needed as well.
I'm pretty sure the buildings work like "factories" for administartion. No workers no administration. Very Steallarisy

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is influence affected by the nation you are using it on? For example, I think influencing a weak nation should cost less than a great power

I also think a communist country, for instance, should find it much harder to influence a conservative monarchy, and vice versa
Yes, costs vary based on factors like rank, threat, etc

• 70Like
  • 9Love
Reactions:
Please don't make a mistake like with Stellaris bureaucracy when it was easy to build up bureaucracy and just blob away, ignoring local issues.

• 7Like
Reactions:
It looks from the description and the picture that Bureaucratic Capacity is based on the Government Administration building and not the number of Bureaucrats working there. What if we have the building, but no Bureaucrat Pops?
The production from the building scales to the available workforce - an empty building doesn't provide any benefits.

• 137Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Firstly, it looks kinda like mana.
Secondly, I want to change my forum nickname. I signed up with that nickname when I was a little child and now, all of my games connected with that user. I dont wanna use that name. Please.

Edit: I managed to change it finally!

Last edited:
  • 30Haha
  • 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
So if you get more authority from being authoritarian, then what does a non-authoritarian society get in exchange?
Generally speaking, more rights and equality means happier, healthier and wealthier pops with all the benefits that brings.

• 90Like
  • 6Haha
  • 2Love
Reactions:
I must say this looks slightly worrying. I'm not against the capacities themselves, it seems a good idea. But the way they seem to generate/be spent feels way to arcade'y. +200 because a building exists, -200 because roads are being built. Oops.

I'd prefer to see:
- Number of bureaucrat pops influences the b. capacity.
- The number of Radical bureaucrat pops decrease b. capacity.
- The happiness of political groups and/or parties increase/decrease authority.
- Number of soldier/officer pops increase/decrease authority.
- Number of Radicals in soldier/officer pops decrease authority.
etc.

I want those "+200 from X building" to be "+122.2 from bureaucrat pops" instead.

EDIT:
Devs later confirmed that buildings require pops to work.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Bureaucracy probably won't have the same design elements as it does In stellaris because stellaris is about building a massive solar empire from a single world and victoria 3 is about industrialization, commodification, and revolution in the years 1836-1936

Deciding how this system will play based off the second dev diary is like being blindfolded and trying to guess what animal you're grasping based on its snout.

(Not to mention stellaris bureaucracy is a good mechanic for stellaris, fight me)

• 2Like
Reactions:
For those of you complaining of the 'mana', how the hell do you want to actually interact with the game at all? Until we can take a time machine and install the player at the head of a 19th century nation, I'm afraid we are going to need some abstractions to be able to actually interact with our nations.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I am a bit confused by Bureaucracy since in Victoria 2 it was based on how many bureaucrat pops you had to govern your states and how much funding you gave them. But here its based on a building you have in your capital city?
Based on a building that you can build in states that employes burocrat-pops. Howis this so hard to get I saw this question like 5 times already

• 4Like
Reactions:
From head there are similar things in Vicky 2 : Colonial power and diplomatic influence, both you can increase by building (ships) and technology
Colonial 'power' is an institution you invest into in Victoria 3 (and colonizing requires ports and fleets), but more on that later.

• 57Like
  • 2Love
Reactions: