• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #103 - 1.6 Teaser

16_9.jpg

Hello everyone, happy new year and welcome back to another Victoria 3 development diary, the first of many for 2024. Today is just going to be a very short dev diary with a first look at free update 1.6, which as we mentioned in Dev Diary #102, will be a standalone update (meaning not accompanied by a paid DLC) that is next up on our release schedule.

1.6 is going to be a smaller update that focuses almost entirely on game polish (meaning bug fixes, performance work, UX and AI improvements) and not on adding features to the game, since after the massive slew of changes to the game that was 1.5 we now want to instead focus on smoothing out some of the rougher edges of the game. While we could of course just continue to release hotfixes for 1.5, focusing our efforts into a proper update instead is going to allow us to tackle some things (particularly on the performance and military pathfinding side) that would be too risky to include in a hotfix.

While all this means that you shouldn’t expect much to change on the post-release plans roadmap from 1.6 alone, you can expect some nice new QoL changes, such as the Pop Browser, a new interface inspired by Victoria 2’s Pop Interface, which gives you a comprehensive overview of your country’s population that allows you to more easily identify problems or opportunities, such as pinpointing where exactly those 1 million radicals that keep stirring up trouble are coming from.

The Pop Browser comes with an extensive list of filters to make the selection of Pops you want to look at as broad or narrow as suits your needs
DD103_01.png

The Pop Browser is one of a few other UX improvements coming in the update, but we will elaborate more on the other changes in our next dev diary (in two weeks) - going through the specifics of UI/UX changes in 1.6. See you then!

• 142Like
  • 96Love
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
Since 1.6 is going to focus on improving QoL, will there be adjustments to Diplomacy as well?
In particular, alliances breaking (without any notification) if you don't join every play of your ally and vice versa still feels a bit bad. There's often cases where I've not wanted to involve my ally in a faraway diplomatic play, but if I didn't call them into it, the alliance disappeared - in turn souring me on even pursuing alliances at all.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I hope we can fix the flag bug. for some reason when I play often countries changing flags, ruining the impression as well as feeding us false data like seeing a diplo play started and from the flags its a Russia vs Romania fight.... Wait thats the UK that for some reason has the Romanian flag..... we should not have this type of problems.

Reactions:
Can we get an option to filter by country in the pop browser? Seeing data from other countries helps to contextualise your data.
That wasn't possible when you asked, but now it is. I just implemented the functionality to be able to access another country's Census Data from the Domestic tab in their Country details panel. Thanks for the input!

• 17Like
  • 15Love
Reactions:
I hope we can fix the flag bug. for some reason when I play often countries changing flags, ruining the impression as well as feeding us false data like seeing a diplo play started and from the flags its a Russia vs Romania fight.... Wait thats the UK that for some reason has the Romanian flag..... we should not have this type of problems.
Do you get a flag bug with saving/loading games? I thought it must be related to a mod but it persisted when I ran pure vanilla too…

That wasn't possible when you asked, but now it is. I just implemented the functionality to be able to access another country's Census Data from the Domestic tab in their Country details panel. Thanks for the input!
Can't deny how cool it is that feedback was implemented just like that.

Reactions:
Thank you sm for listening and doing all ur hard work implementing suggestions from the community. We greatly feel appreciated and valued that our feedback can be so quickly listened to and implemented! :)

I would suggest the idea of adding a POP occupation called technician which is the middle ground between a machinist and an engineer. Less advanced industries would use more technicians while more advanced would use engineers. Technicians should have a slightly lower education requirement than what engineers currently have while engineers should have a slightly higher education. Engineers could probably replace capitalists in rudimentary businesses once ownership tends to become more "democratized".

This is already an option ingame when you're building something you can click on the worthless "jobseekers" metric and switch to peasants or unemployed. Which you can then filter the list of areas you can build the building by the amount of unemployed or peasants. So it's been around for awhile just they made the default option the worst option for early-mid-game.
Seriously who came up with a job seeker mechanics? What a useless data. Might as well cut it for performance.

Reactions:
Seriously who came up with a job seeker mechanics? What a useless data. Might as well cut it for performance.
That's not true. Job seeker is specifically made to improve performance.

Pops now have a Job Satisfaction parameter, visible in the UI and computed based on factors such as their wage compared to the normal wage, or the average wage for their profession, in the country and state; how many Qualifications they have for higher-paying jobs; whether they're unemployed; and so on. If their Job Satisfaction is high enough they won't bother looking for other jobs. This helps performance by letting us exclude these pops as prospective candidates when we evaluate employment or process migration, and also improves UX by giving us more precise numbers of pops that are "Job Seekers" in a particular state.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Other than the outstanding military bugs, I'm not sure it makes sense that you get penalized for having too many (or only) artillery and cavalry, or capital ships and support ships for the navy... When you (or the AI) can repeatedly attack with exclusively the type you're not supposed to have too many of.

I'm sure a naval invasion where you're bringing only 15 regiments of artillery ashore will go extremely well.

On top of that, as a defender, why do I often (enough that I don't really remember when it isn't this way) only end up defending with the exact same amount as they're attacking with? I have 100 regiments stationed, they're attacking with 15. Why do only 15 defend, and given how much more regiments I have in reserve, why do I lose so much progress if they happen to beat me? This is usually coupled with them only bringing copious amounts of artillery ashore.

I don't think I should be able to have all 100 regiments defend in a single battle, of course. But it's a silly way for a great power to have a massive advantage over a minor or unrecognized nation even if said nation is near on tech (for example, the main difference being behind on artillery, but using the same infantry) and has a reasonably large military. It's often the case that we're fielding the same infantry, but because they only attack with the advanced artillery, which has a significant attack advantage over said infantry's defense, there's really no chance for 15 Skirmish infantry to defend against 15 shrapnel artillery.

Maybe some of that is coupled with the bugs surrounding military leaders not conferring their bonuses to the units they're leading. Are they not also getting penalized for landings? I haven't paid close enough attention to naval invasions to really figure out how they work outright; it often doesn't matter when you're doing them offensively because you can just pick places they won't defend.

And I suppose another related issue; you can promote peasant levy conscripts to whatever you want (even squad infantry) as long as you recruit them as irregular infantry and otherwise have the target technology unlocked.

There's also, of course, the phantom unit issue, which hurts especially bad with the navy because the limits on naval bases are much more strict. That is, after you conquer something or have a revolt, units will disappear into the void until you go to war, where some of them (not always all) may manifest and rejoin. They don't count for prestige, but I haven't determined if they count against your income. You can work around it a bit by randomly building units of different types to determine what unit they are, and they'll sometimes appear back in the army, but then you have to immediately cancel the construction. Or sometimes you end up with negative units/negative constructions/units in training over the limit.

The last two points I have seems like a design oversight. When armies/naval squadrons were changed to their current state, it's been rendered extremely annoying to remove a particular building/unit from a particular army. If I want to remove everyone from State A from my army, I have to look through the list individual units and click the "X" to remove them.

Then for the Navy, I think it's silly that if I want to upgrade a ship, I can't just have an option to "destroy and rebuild". It is fine and understandable if ships get too different to upgrade. Then again, I think a frigate and a monitor are pretty different; you could perhaps strap iron plates to a ship of the line, but a monitor is very low draft. It's a stretch, but I feel like a monitor and a torpedo boat have a little more in common than the frigates and monitors. What really makes the current state feel weird, though, is if I'm fielding dreadnoughts in 1920 and doing battle against France's leftover frigates and ships of the line. Maybe if there's a path to upgrade them (even if it's more expensive -- e.g. includes the building cost of the base) that'll happen less. For a player, it just saves some clicking.

this is nice but you guys should focus more on mod compatibility, i'm sick and tired of every single update breaking my favorite mods and forcing everyone to wait for months until modders could figure out how to fix the mess you introduced into this spaghetti code you call a game.

Also please fix multiculturalism and assimilation, currently multiculturalism just creates an even more effective monocultural state than the ethnostate itself, i get how this would make sense from a government point of view since you are playing as the spirit of a nation, but it would be cool if we could have a way to get foreign pops but preserve their ethnicity, also the assimilation rates are frankly quite ridiculous.

On the note of historical accuracy don't get me started on how inaccurate the states and map are, i would highly suggest checking out the vicky 2 mods for that as the modders tend to do their homework better. Personally i recommend The Grand Combination for victoria 2 when it comes to map.

And while we're on that topic, please, for the love of god, make use of the split state mechanic, there is literally no sense in keeping it if you can't really utilize it, like make it possible to carve out the territory you want to keep and not have to just use debug mode to individually change every tile's owner if you want those sort of treaties. It would be also nice to keep your promise of having the tile carry data instead of the state itself, i can't remember which dev diary it was but i remember you saying that each tile was supposed to carry it's own data and the state itself is the coalescence of all the data of each tile.

Another feature i would like to see is to kind of rework how the cities/settlements are, i think in such a case Imperator Rome would be a good example where you can found your cities or at least choose where the cities are located as opposed to having pre-set city locations which don't always make much sense.

Also please slow the game down a little bit, perhaps add in the by-hour way of hoi4 timeflow because 100 years is just not really long, this is the first paradox game i have finished from start to finish and that's saying a lot.

Other than that, the game is great, i would really recommend it but probably once you fix the most glaring issues. If you don't mind me shamelessly plugging an idea, the game desperately it needs more industry diversification, like a social chain dlc with housing, police, hospitals, prison and entertainment, or a dlc about more base goods like furs, crockery and generally expanding the roster of trade goods, currently the goods list is way too broad in some places while way too specific in others and overall does not adequately reflect the different types of goods and industries during the victorian era. Dont be afraid to give out major features in dlc, if anything this gives me an incentive to buy the dlc and frankly i would prefer it that way instead of the current 15$ for a few 3d models.

Thanks for reading through, can't wait to see how this game grows throughout the years if i manage to live long enough to see it :)

Reactions:
That's not true. Job seeker is specifically made to improve performance.

Fine, then it can be made invisible because it is unhelpful for decision making. Unemployment is.

Do you get a flag bug with saving/loading games? I thought it must be related to a mod but it persisted when I ran pure vanilla too…
I think this bug happens from time to time when there is a revolution of the same type (like two communist revolutions at the same time) sometimes one country takes the flag of the other one. it happened both in ironman save and normal save without mods.

One UI update I really hope is included is a better way to grade local prices. I was always ambivalent on the merit of local pricing because the UI for Victoria III has been consistently weak and made it needlessly hard to execute your actual goals in game, and it has proven so in this in my experience as well. It provides you with the bare ability to grade a singular good in isolation, but not to easily assess what is in many cases the more useful question: should I build this thing here. A huge number of factories require assessing the prices of three or more goods, many of them province dependent - that is, if you want to judge where a fertilizer plant should be, you want to keep track of which provinces have iron and/or sulphur on top of what those prices are. A window to say something like I want to see the prices of these ticked goods all together would go a long way. Having the UI also flag when a province has no deposits of a tracked good as applicable would also be very valuable.

I would also still like to see buildings sorted in some more useful manner on the buildings screen (alphabetically, by name or by good, or better yet in some kind of customizable list - if I can choose to sort it by either of the former two or also just declare that my tooling workshops come first no matter what, that would be best), and I've been asking for the ability to set outliner defaults since release. I should not have to, on day one of every single game, have to do the exact same procedure of pinning my IGs and markets and etc to the outliner. That should be something I can set once as a game preference and be done with.

Reactions:
Hello everyone, happy new year and welcome back to another Victoria 3 development diary, the first of many for 2024. Today is just going to be a very short dev diary with a first look at free update 1.6, which as we mentioned in Dev Diary #102, will be a standalone update (meaning not accompanied by a paid DLC) that is next up on our release schedule.

1.6 is going to be a smaller update that focuses almost entirely on game polish (meaning bug fixes, performance work, UX and AI improvements) and not on adding features to the game, since after the massive slew of changes to the game that was 1.5 we now want to instead focus on smoothing out some of the rougher edges of the game. While we could of course just continue to release hotfixes for 1.5, focusing our efforts into a proper update instead is going to allow us to tackle some things (particularly on the performance and military pathfinding side) that would be too risky to include in a hotfix.

While all this means that you shouldn’t expect much to change on the post-release plans roadmap from 1.6 alone, you can expect some nice new QoL changes, such as the Pop Browser, a new interface inspired by Victoria 2’s Pop Interface, which gives you a comprehensive overview of your country’s population that allows you to more easily identify problems or opportunities, such as pinpointing where exactly those 1 million radicals that keep stirring up trouble are coming from.

The Pop Browser comes with an extensive list of filters to make the selection of Pops you want to look at as broad or narrow as suits your needs
View attachment 1074701

The Pop Browser is one of a few other UX improvements coming in the update, but we will elaborate more on the other changes in our next dev diary (in two weeks) - going through the specifics of UI/UX changes in 1.6. See you then!

One of my biggest problems with V3 has been the opacity of Pops and how tangential they feel. This is one of the features I missed most about V2–anyone who says spreadsheets detract from the game experience are crazy. complex society demands spreadsheets. I’m very excited for this patch.

Imagine internal and foreign Census Data being more / less detailed based on your (census) laws or available foreign information.

Reactions:
this is nice but you guys should focus more on mod compatibility, i'm sick and tired of every single update breaking my favorite mods and forcing everyone to wait for months until modders could figure out how to fix the mess you introduced into this spaghetti code you call a game.
Mod compatibility is hard when (a) the game is in flux because of shortcomings in its design-at-release and (b) the changes to the game include things like "engine-level implementation of things that modders are currently doing with elaborate chewing-gum-and-baling-wire multi-span suspension bridges of scripting, which are inevitably going to collapse and catch fire when the engine starts doing the same job but differently".

• 1Like
Reactions: