• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #103 - 1.6 Teaser

16_9.jpg

Hello everyone, happy new year and welcome back to another Victoria 3 development diary, the first of many for 2024. Today is just going to be a very short dev diary with a first look at free update 1.6, which as we mentioned in Dev Diary #102, will be a standalone update (meaning not accompanied by a paid DLC) that is next up on our release schedule.

1.6 is going to be a smaller update that focuses almost entirely on game polish (meaning bug fixes, performance work, UX and AI improvements) and not on adding features to the game, since after the massive slew of changes to the game that was 1.5 we now want to instead focus on smoothing out some of the rougher edges of the game. While we could of course just continue to release hotfixes for 1.5, focusing our efforts into a proper update instead is going to allow us to tackle some things (particularly on the performance and military pathfinding side) that would be too risky to include in a hotfix.

While all this means that you shouldn’t expect much to change on the post-release plans roadmap from 1.6 alone, you can expect some nice new QoL changes, such as the Pop Browser, a new interface inspired by Victoria 2’s Pop Interface, which gives you a comprehensive overview of your country’s population that allows you to more easily identify problems or opportunities, such as pinpointing where exactly those 1 million radicals that keep stirring up trouble are coming from.

The Pop Browser comes with an extensive list of filters to make the selection of Pops you want to look at as broad or narrow as suits your needs
DD103_01.png

The Pop Browser is one of a few other UX improvements coming in the update, but we will elaborate more on the other changes in our next dev diary (in two weeks) - going through the specifics of UI/UX changes in 1.6. See you then!

• 142Like
  • 96Love
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
They should also do some balancing. separate radios, telephones, silk, dyes, tanks and airplanes. Everything together causes deficits and shortages. even cattle ranches become totally unviable towards the end of the game. importing meat because it doesn't matter the production method, the most advanced or the basic, it is in deficit.

A UI improvement I’d like to see is an “avaliable jobs” counter, basically an inverse peasant number. That would really help with forward planning.

• 6Like
Reactions:
They should also do some balancing. separate radios, telephones, silk, dyes, tanks and airplanes. Everything together causes deficits and shortages. even cattle ranches become totally unviable towards the end of the game. importing meat because it doesn't matter the production method, the most advanced or the basic, it is in deficit.
Would be nice yes, but would make game much slower (more buildings), unless they changed PMs around so you can turn off base PM if you have refinement PM active.

Since 1.6 is going to focus on improving QoL, will there be adjustments to Diplomacy as well?
In particular, alliances breaking (without any notification) if you don't join every play of your ally and vice versa still feels a bit bad. There's often cases where I've not wanted to involve my ally in a faraway diplomatic play, but if I didn't call them into it, the alliance disappeared - in turn souring me on even pursuing alliances at all.
You made me think of this idea:
Alliances having a range of levels for what kind of plays you'll join for, and how committed you are.
Any war, only defensive wars, only colonial wars, only non-colonial wars, etc.
Committing to always back eachother, or will always lean your way X % closer to joining your side than otherwise (on top of other relation reasons), or maybe asymmetrical alliances? I promise to always help in any conflict, you promise to help in anything except offensive colonial wars. etc
But I'm sure others have already had this idea?

The graphical change between day and night is very great, but the game performance has become much heavier since the addition of this pack. The difference in frames between without and with the pack is significant. Do you have any additional, significant performance optimisations planned in this area?

I really, really, really beg you for:
  1. Local balance of produced goods in Construction Interaction, especially for Electricity and Transportation. Going into Market, finding the good, selecting local prices tab is quite annoying, especially when you are in a common market with other countries, then you just cannot sort by balance. You did it already with Government Administration building and Taxation Capacity balance, just follow it up with all local "resources" (goods, transportation, electricity, taxation, services). It may be problematic for buildings producing more than one thing, but I would not mind if Construction Interaction was full screen like Politics and Technology are, then you can fit as many columns as you want to.
  2. Following the first point... a tip how many buildings of given type you need to build to do not have a local deficit of given good would sooooooooooooooooo nice. E.g. that I need build exactly 13 power plants to have an non-negative balance of electricity in a state.
  3. Show column with current vacancies in Construction Interaction, so I will know that I am not overbuilding a state. The information that I have 1 million of job seekers in a state is useless if I don't know there is a 2 million vacancies there already.
  4. In Production Lens in the pop-up for a building you have information about increased employment by each profession, it would love to see a sum of all increased employment, e.g. that one level of railways will require 5250 new employees total (and I don't have to count it in my head each time). Also in Construction Interaction you could add a column with information of total new available employment added so I could see if I am not overbuilding in a state compered to peasants and unemployed (so if I will build 4 levels of railways that I am adding 21,000 new jobs).
  5. Give me that red and yellow icons (unable to hire and hiring) in Construction Interaction I so I could see that there is no point of building a new building. Especially important if I have infrastructure, transportation or electricity problems somewhere in a desert and the issue is not that I need build more there.
  6. If you do I Construction Interaction full screen, then column with total bonuses/penalties in to construction in a state, so I will know that I should not Ctrl click construction of a building in a state that has at the moment -90% construction efficiency.
  7. Damn, I was suppose to write about new Pop Browser, but it seems I definitely have an issue with Construction Interaction. About the Pop Browser, give me a hint that rebellion may happen earlier. When the Separatist Movement progress bar appears it is always too late and I don't know if I ever managed to stop it in time. While manually searching where to slap Violent Suppression and Emergency Relief*. Correct me if I am wrong, but for separatist movement to happen they given ethnicity needs to have 50% turmoil and at least 25% population of given state, or something right that. Just inform me that a ethnicity with has more than 40% turmoil if they have more than 25% of inhabitants of any state.

* I usually have problems with low populated states in deserts, I can't really build there anything because of low population and livestock ranches are too unproductive too provide a living wage - I hate you Darfur, you rebelled so many times, each time cancelling the 21 year incorporation process, that maybe you deserve to starve to death... I was really punished for to high literacy in my Egypt to Arabia campaign. Basically high literacy in the deserts was monumental mistake and every province in desert with more than 25% of population other than my primary cultures was extreme pain.

• 6Like
Reactions:
The current late game performance issues are unbelievable, unprecedented, and absolutely horrendous. but Your efforts are great! It's incredibly encouraging to know that Dev is aware of the performance issues and is working to improve them.

I sincerely appreciate the hard work of the devs and hope to see a revolutionary improvement with the upcoming 1.6.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The return of the Excel sheets!

but in all seriousness, this is a good addition. In a game that focuses on this kind of thing cannot be without the sheets.

I know this would be really annoying in practice but a fun idea would be lock some of the pop browser features behind certain administrative technologies.

There is a lot of disagreements on this but IMHO it’s a good idea.

Early game it’s not too annoying, because it’s not that important. Late-game it would be rather crucial as expected.

This would mean that you can’t just min-max everything from the beginning, with your all-seeing eye and cheese everything out of the game. It’s also historically realistic as administrative capabilities were a massive factor in industrialization.

I think a system similar to Dwarf Fortress would be perfect, you get approximates, but you will have a hard time perfecting your economy and society early on.

It would also help with the pacing of the game.

Similarly, the espionage intel system in Stellaris was probably the most unexpected and best upgrades post-megacorp. It completely changed how I approached potentially hostile empires for the better.

The current late game performance issues are unbelievable, unprecedented, and absolutely horrendous. but Your efforts are great! It's incredibly encouraging to know that Dev is aware of the performance issues and is working to improve them.

I sincerely appreciate the hard work of the devs and hope to see a revolutionary improvement with the upcoming 1.6.
Check performance thread, maybe its time to move your pc to trash and get a new one

Last edited:
Reactions:
In my last two games I have encountered several really annoying problems.

1. When Canada was formed, it had not yet finished colonizing its part, and this means that the United Kingdom never gave up its part to the United States.

2. ghost fleets, with one or all of the defeated admirals, who can remain in the node at least with their presence blocking the invasion.

3. Following the previous point, the chain of command works acceptable for defense but is an absolute disaster for attack if it is not done with the maximum number of troops available and a single marshal. same flexibility in attack, please.

4. Block financing from great power to great power. give some tool to the AI so that it does not acquire a debt of 100 million pounds as a United Kingdom, for financing a billionaire pan-Europe.

6. somehow balance power plants, deficient railways and urban centers with deficient production. The price of services and transportation plummets too much. Furthermore, if there is a construction queue for an investment fund and a small electricity deficit, they can form a stack of 40 power plants.

Last edited:
Reactions:
The recruit units leave on the right side of the professional units. I don't remember what it was like before but they changed it. There was also a bug that I have not checked to see if it persists, which mainly affects the United States, and that is that you mobilize recruits when you have already assigned them to the front, they may go to any army group. Always mobilize them before giving them any orders.

Hello everyone, happy new year and welcome back to another Victoria 3 development diary, the first of many for 2024. Today is just going to be a very short dev diary with a first look at free update 1.6, which as we mentioned in Dev Diary #102, will be a standalone update (meaning not accompanied by a paid DLC) that is next up on our release schedule.

1.6 is going to be a smaller update that focuses almost entirely on game polish (meaning bug fixes, performance work, UX and AI improvements) and not on adding features to the game, since after the massive slew of changes to the game that was 1.5 we now want to instead focus on smoothing out some of the rougher edges of the game. While we could of course just continue to release hotfixes for 1.5, focusing our efforts into a proper update instead is going to allow us to tackle some things (particularly on the performance and military pathfinding side) that would be too risky to include in a hotfix.

While all this means that you shouldn’t expect much to change on the post-release plans roadmap from 1.6 alone, you can expect some nice new QoL changes, such as the Pop Browser, a new interface inspired by Victoria 2’s Pop Interface, which gives you a comprehensive overview of your country’s population that allows you to more easily identify problems or opportunities, such as pinpointing where exactly those 1 million radicals that keep stirring up trouble are coming from.

The Pop Browser comes with an extensive list of filters to make the selection of Pops you want to look at as broad or narrow as suits your needs
View attachment 1074701

The Pop Browser is one of a few other UX improvements coming in the update, but we will elaborate more on the other changes in our next dev diary (in two weeks) - going through the specifics of UI/UX changes in 1.6. See you then!
Well, I hope that you consider front line accessibility - or the lack of it in many cases - as a bug that's worth fixing. I mean, Jesus! Having a common border with a revolting puppet but not being able to access the front line because it's radomly somewhere else ...?

I think that in the future, diplomatic plays that give allies in wars your states in exchange for their assistance should have the states be given in the aftermath of the war. Also there should be a button when doing sways that has the other country's spoils of war conditional, meaning that they will only get it if they win the war. If Austria promises Eastern Galicia to Russia for help fighting Prussia, Russia can just do the minimum needed to white peace and leave Austria fending for itself. Not to mention that Russia will also get Eastern Galicia at the beginning of the war as opposed to at the end of it.

@Wizzington

Reactions: