• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #126 - Sectors and Factions in 2.2

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today we're going to continue talking about the 2.2 'Le Guin' update, on the topic of Sectors and Factions. As said before, we're not yet ready to reveal anything about when Le Guin is coming out, only that it's a long time away and we have many more topics to cover before then. Also as said before, screenshots will contain placeholder art and interfaces and non-final numbers.

Sector Rework
Sectors have always been a bit of a controversial feature. Even if you disregard arguments about the general level of competence of the sector AI, the fact that sectors effectively force the player to cede control over all but a few of their planets has never gone down well with certain players. In truth, the decision to force players to give planets to sectors was very much a result of the old tile system - because of the sheer amount of micromanagement that was involved in managing a large number of planets, it was decided that automation was necessary, and also to make that automation mandatory (barring mods) to effectively force players to not make themselves miserable by micromanaging the tiles of a hundred different worlds. With the planetary rework in the Le Guin update, we no longer feel that this mandatory automation is needed any longer, and so we've decided to rework the sector system entirely.

Instead of being autonomous mini-economies, sectors are now administrative units in your empire, with their layout decided by galactic geography, with each sector corresponding to a cluster of stars in the galaxy. Sectors are automatically created when you colonize a planet in a previously uncolonized cluster, and your 'core sector' is simply the cluster in which your capital is located. All interfaces that are relevant to sectors and planets (such as the outliner) are now organized by collapsible sector entries, allowing for better overview and management of a large number of planets. As before, each sector can have a governor assigned to it, but sectors now automatically send all of their production to the empire stockpile instead of having their own fully realized economy. However, since we still want players to be able to offload some of the planetary management when controlling a large number of worlds, it is still possible to allocate resources to a Governor, who will use those resources to develop the planets under their control. This of course means that there is no longer any core sector limit, and anything that previously used to give a bonus to core sector planets has either been changed into a different bonus or removed altogether.

EDIT: Since there's a lot of questions about leader capacity, please read down a bit further in the thread where I address this issue. Thank you!

(Note: Image is highly WIP and has missing elements)
2018_09_20_2.png

Faction Happiness Rework
Factions are also changing in Le Guin, though not to nearly the same degree as sectors. Most of the core mechanics of factions will remain the same, but Faction Happiness is being changed into something we call Faction Approval, measuring how much a Faction approves of your empire's policies. Where previously Factions would only give influence when above a 60% happiness threshold, Factions now always give some influence, with the amount scaling linearly to their Approval, so a 10% Approval faction will give only 1/10th of the influence that a 100% Approval faction gives you (the amount they give also still scales to their share of power in your empire). Faction Approval is also no longer directly applied to Pop Happiness, but rather will affect the happiness of Pops belonging to that faction at different thresholds, with small boosts to happiness at higher levels of approval and increasingly severe penalties to happiness at low levels of approval (effectively swapping the influence threshold for various happiness thresholds).

This should mean that even small boosts to faction approval now directly translates into influence gain, and that factions almost always give *some* benefit, even if that benefit may be outweighed by the unhappiness and unrest they can cause. We're also hoping to have time to review the faction issues, tying them more directly to policies to make them easier to understand. For example, instead of demanding that all species have their rights manually set to Full Citizenship, the Xenophile faction might demand a certain empire-wide policy setting that forces the equal application of species rights across all species.
2018_09_20_1.png

That's all for today! Next week we're continuing to talk about the Le Guin update, on the topic of Trade Value and Trade Routes.

Last edited:
I roleplayed as the Amerin Interstellar Republic, AIR (akin to the USA). As such, I created new "states" every so often. After a certain point in the game, each state began to have it's own unique history and importance. From the smaller inner sectors to a large expansive (and sparsely populated) outer rim.

If the Dev team wants to allow for sectors to be automatic, fine, some players just want to min-max. But let me as the User have the final say over boundaries! I'm sure some other players like role-playing with the size and number of sectors, so let them. Wiz what is your opinion this?

That depends on how big these sectors are. If they are small, you would still end up doing the exact same thing the game would do just because your "anti-border gore senses" would tell you to put an entire cluster into the sector.

This would only make sense if there was a really notable gap in distance between stellar clusters, however, which in turn would look weird on the galaxy map. The galaxy is not split into scores of bubbles with dozens of stars neatly and visibly clustered.

In-game, the impression may arise due to hyperlanes and how they essentially creating segregated regions. This alone has no effect on how much time or effort it takes to transport resources, materiel or personnel to and from it, though. It just means the system connected to the chokepoint would become a strategically important logistics hub.

Unless they become that with a new update. The clusters are already created and important to the Galaxy Generation, and I sure as hell doubt that PDS is done with "Space Geography" with Apocalypse.

Which just supports his point as the larger regions are such because of regions that aren't as habitable, aka because of the geography.

being able to set your own sectors is cool, but mechanically its been a plague on the game.

a big reason the original sector/planet rebellions mechanic was excised in the first place was that it was too easy for players to deal with the situation simply by editing sectors, and there was no easy fix to this problem.

And as pointed out earlier, right now you get some really stupid looking sectors when someone doesnt want to let the sector have resources.

Sectors will only build if you allow them to.

Will you be able to tailor what they might and might not build? And might there be a possibility for an event to fire when a governor wants to build something?

It would be a possibility again now, though there are no concrete plans for it in this version. Properly autonomous sector governors until Feudal Realm etc is also something that's possible with the new system.

It wouldn't be 'from nowhere', more like local taxes. Your empire stockpile does not represent all economic activity in your empire, as next dev diary should make clear.

For example, one idea I have for the Feudal Realm civic (but I'm not promising there will be time for) is to have governors be way more autonomous, but have a fairly large income of their own.

And it turns out Wiz answered this more or less here xD should have kept reading the dev posts first.

This makes me want to actually do a Feudal Empire run once the chance comes up

Kind of like 40k's Cadia, a very small intrusion into the Eye of Terror "sector" and heavily defended due to who owns the rest of the "sector."
It's the opposite, actually. Cadia itself belongs to the Cadian sector, which includes several other star systems. It just so happens that the Cadia system itself is the chokepoint.

Actually more than 50% of the borders there are defined by the geography (namely the coastline).
That's like saying 50% of an outer rim empire's borders are defined by the galaxy ending there.

I think it is obvious that I'm referring to the massive discrepancies between the sizes of those administrative units, as well as how some of its borders are drawn.

Which just supports his point as the larger regions are such because of regions that aren't as habitable, aka because of the geography.
Geography doesn't run in straight lines.

I can find more exceptions if you really want me to, though.

Last edited:
See Wiz, as you and your team are surely aware, the only reason we keep asking for the release date is because all these amazing new features make the current version completely unplayable in comparison :D
So we understand that good work takes time and with the rational parts of our brains we want you to take that time, so that you can make all these features as polished as possible.
But the emotional part of my brain feels like a child waiting for Christmas hahaha.

I love the new sector mechanics! I hated relegating management of my worlds to the AI, no matter how good or bad it was at doing so, because I'm the player and I want to make the decisions in my empire. So this change makes just as much difference as the new planet mechanics, namely ALL the difference.
While I will miss deciding the borders of sectors, I kind of like that they will be portioned automatically, since in the current version, and the current leader cap my sectors tended to blow up into huuuuuge entities sometimes that had dozens and dozens of worlds in them, dwarfing my little core sector with its, like 7 planets, making me kinda feel like the Japanese Emperor during the Senguko Period (minus the warfare)
However I still hope that we will be able to name the sectors ourselves. I like to give my sectors weird or unusual names. For instance in my last name, I had a sector that had some very mineral rich systems in it and was in the Galactic West of my capital, so I named it the "Golden West Sector", or a sector that was formed from planets I conquered witht he help of an L-Gate, and which had borders that were completely disconnected from the main empire because of that became the "Outremer Sector"
I just like naming stuff and would miss doing that.

Last edited:
Leader cap is gone, leaders cost maintenance instead, with costs scaling to empire size.

I don't think I like the scaling leader costs, for two reasons. Firstly, I don't understand why the costs should scale for non-governors - why are my scientists demanding a raise every time I claim a new system? Secondly, larger empires are going to have more leaders than smaller empires, so having these leaders cost more as well seems like penalizing the empire twice for the same thing.

Leader cap is gone, leaders cost maintenance instead, with costs scaling to empire size.

Just want to confirm. They will cost and be maintained with energy still correct? I ask because a friend of mine and I have a running joke of leaders costing influence maintenance and I swear to god if that gets into the main game I will never hear the end of it, haha.

Something this comment made me think about- is there a possibility that how Sectors work now and the Feudal Realm Civic thing are going to get tired together somehow?
He already answered that

But that civic is hardly all that can be done in the long run. You could have sectors with political ambitions that strive to be autonomous and eventually independent. That leads to internal conflict and possibly civil war. There are other systems that can be linked to. Maybe sector governors if character are changed to have a bit more personality and their own ambitions. Or crime and stability. Distance from the home planet. Empire ethics (more likely with egalitarianism, less likely with authoritarianism maybe). Species traits (conformist vs deviant) and pop ethics. Then there is the question if this should be considered an inevitable trend or only happen with bad governance.

For example, one idea I have for the Feudal Realm civic (but I'm not promising there will be time for) is to have governors be way more autonomous, but have a fairly large income of their own.

Sounds good can't wait to see something like this.
What I like to see in a Feudal Realm would be that each Governor had an heir. So that the Governors would be like the noble houses of your empire.

Will we still be able to name sectors? And will the annoying forced use of the word "sector" at the end of each name in the sector menu finally be removed? If I name a sector "The Old Marches," for instance, it's obnoxious to see "The Old Marches Sector " in the sector menu. Thanks.

Last edited:
@Wiz : never seen a replay about multiple species growing simultaneously but only the first to grow pop visible in planet view. Will it be considered in this update?

I'm pretty sure that's not how it's going to happen.

Pops will grow one at a time and the species of the next growing pop will be rolled for with a bunch of weights. If you start with 3 of one species and 2 of another, and assuming no fast/slow breeding traits are involved, the pops will develop to a roughly 3:2 ratio, but one pop at a time.

As someone who's always campaigned for deeper sector mechanics and seen the potential that sectors have, this is great news.

Can one now check faciton approval via a trigger?

So far, I like the sound of these changes. I will have to see what it means in game.

I'm pretty sure that's not how it's going to happen.

Pops will grow one at a time and the species of the next growing pop will be rolled for with a bunch of weights. If you start with 3 of one species and 2 of another, and assuming no fast/slow breeding traits are involved, the pops will develop to a roughly 3:2 ratio, but one pop at a time.

I know the intention though there was a post proposing the multiple breeding process (with numbers being visible when mouse over the picture of the next one). It would make sense as when you go for habitability/planet it would make more sense that some pops will be more likely to migrate from harsh environment to more pleasant one hence driving the migration/growth of one particular species on some planets rather on others. On the other hand for Gaia Worlds it would make more sense to see multiple breeds due to how perfect this world is. Same for Habitats and Ring Worlds.

So the whole "core worlds" sector is gone and we won't be able to directly manage colonies?

All interfaces that are relevant to sectors and planets (such as the outliner) are now organized by collapsible sector entries, allowing for better overview and management of a large number of planets. As before, each sector can have a governor assigned to it, but sectors now automatically send all of their production to the empire stockpile instead of having their own fully realized economy.

By the sounds of it, all colonies are managed directly by the player. Sectors were necessary to cut down on micro. Now that tiles are gone, micro is sufficiently reduced to make this no longer necessary. Sectors seem more about organising planets in the UI than serving much gameplay purpose.