• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #126 - Sectors and Factions in 2.2

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today we're going to continue talking about the 2.2 'Le Guin' update, on the topic of Sectors and Factions. As said before, we're not yet ready to reveal anything about when Le Guin is coming out, only that it's a long time away and we have many more topics to cover before then. Also as said before, screenshots will contain placeholder art and interfaces and non-final numbers.

Sector Rework
Sectors have always been a bit of a controversial feature. Even if you disregard arguments about the general level of competence of the sector AI, the fact that sectors effectively force the player to cede control over all but a few of their planets has never gone down well with certain players. In truth, the decision to force players to give planets to sectors was very much a result of the old tile system - because of the sheer amount of micromanagement that was involved in managing a large number of planets, it was decided that automation was necessary, and also to make that automation mandatory (barring mods) to effectively force players to not make themselves miserable by micromanaging the tiles of a hundred different worlds. With the planetary rework in the Le Guin update, we no longer feel that this mandatory automation is needed any longer, and so we've decided to rework the sector system entirely.

Instead of being autonomous mini-economies, sectors are now administrative units in your empire, with their layout decided by galactic geography, with each sector corresponding to a cluster of stars in the galaxy. Sectors are automatically created when you colonize a planet in a previously uncolonized cluster, and your 'core sector' is simply the cluster in which your capital is located. All interfaces that are relevant to sectors and planets (such as the outliner) are now organized by collapsible sector entries, allowing for better overview and management of a large number of planets. As before, each sector can have a governor assigned to it, but sectors now automatically send all of their production to the empire stockpile instead of having their own fully realized economy. However, since we still want players to be able to offload some of the planetary management when controlling a large number of worlds, it is still possible to allocate resources to a Governor, who will use those resources to develop the planets under their control. This of course means that there is no longer any core sector limit, and anything that previously used to give a bonus to core sector planets has either been changed into a different bonus or removed altogether.

EDIT: Since there's a lot of questions about leader capacity, please read down a bit further in the thread where I address this issue. Thank you!

(Note: Image is highly WIP and has missing elements)
2018_09_20_2.png

Faction Happiness Rework
Factions are also changing in Le Guin, though not to nearly the same degree as sectors. Most of the core mechanics of factions will remain the same, but Faction Happiness is being changed into something we call Faction Approval, measuring how much a Faction approves of your empire's policies. Where previously Factions would only give influence when above a 60% happiness threshold, Factions now always give some influence, with the amount scaling linearly to their Approval, so a 10% Approval faction will give only 1/10th of the influence that a 100% Approval faction gives you (the amount they give also still scales to their share of power in your empire). Faction Approval is also no longer directly applied to Pop Happiness, but rather will affect the happiness of Pops belonging to that faction at different thresholds, with small boosts to happiness at higher levels of approval and increasingly severe penalties to happiness at low levels of approval (effectively swapping the influence threshold for various happiness thresholds).

This should mean that even small boosts to faction approval now directly translates into influence gain, and that factions almost always give *some* benefit, even if that benefit may be outweighed by the unhappiness and unrest they can cause. We're also hoping to have time to review the faction issues, tying them more directly to policies to make them easier to understand. For example, instead of demanding that all species have their rights manually set to Full Citizenship, the Xenophile faction might demand a certain empire-wide policy setting that forces the equal application of species rights across all species.
2018_09_20_1.png

That's all for today! Next week we're continuing to talk about the Le Guin update, on the topic of Trade Value and Trade Routes.

Last edited:
Heya

Any chance of getting an "Auto-Build" function for player built Construction Ships, akin to Science Ship "Auto-Explore", that does what the existing Sector Built Construction Ships do currently?
IIRC Wiz has talked about wanting to maybe change it so that the starbase is in charge of constructing mining/research platforms.

You send a lump sum of energy or minerals which is converted into 'sector budget', from which the governor can build, with special scripted costs. We haven't figured out yet how we're going to solve special costs like rare resources. It's also possible that governors might get a small budget each month based on economic strength of sector even if you don't send them resources.

Why not have sector autonomy/budget linked to policies. For instance like slavery you might select a policy which mandates 95% of resources go to the Empire and minimal decision making however it is offset by feelings of oppression for those outside the core sector... Or like utopian ideals where everything is shared equally however something else suffers... Plenty for you guys to play with I look forward to seeing it

With the planetary/sector rework are there going to be "sector capital worlds" similar to the empire capital worlds, which serve as the center of government for a sector and allow for the construction of sector unique buildings which provide buffs to the entire sector. This could also allow for governors or members of other leader grounds to become physical entities on the planets, such as sector capitals having governor job positions, chief scientists existing within a research lab or ministry on the home world, ability to recruit/assign more scientists/generals/admirals/governors to different worlds for different buffs or to investigate special projects, or the existence of cabinet positions within the government similar to advisors from HOI4.
Yes a sector will still have a capital world, cannot answer how much impact that will be O;)
This also creates more risk if a planet is invaded and you can't evacuate leaders in time, leaders could be killed in fighting (collateral damage dependent), be captured and imprisoned/executed by the invaders, or turn their coat and join the invaders, giving them a free ruler and potentially mitigating unrest on the conquered world due to continuity of leadership (ethos dependent, an authoritarian ruler might permit a Quisling type to rule a conquered world but an egalitarian empire might try an authoritarian ruler for the crimes they've committed).
Right now we had to drop that logic, it is only fleet/ship leaders that can be killed by "user neglection"... yes i know, we are are working on it, it was so many bugs in the old relocation system that it was not worth it.

I don't like the system that a leader should cost maintenance of resources to be able to produce resources. Maybe they should be payed with attention, which is influence. The degree of payment should be change able: a leader, that is not payed well will produce less in his sector and maybe get ideas of his own independent empire, depending on his personality.
Nah, do not not think that any leaders in a unmodded game will have both a production and a upkeep, you can ofc do it but just as you say it sounds weird... and sure we (or any modder) could add modifiers to replicate the thing you say, but then you have numbers depending on numbers and the game gets very hard to play.

If you're interested in doing another post... What is the difference between a Frontier and Core sector as currently built? Do they get certain bonuses or function in different ways? Or is it purely cosmetic?

(I agree with the other poster, would be very exciting to see that used to build out regional personality and politics in future updates or DLC.)
In current build nothing, core is scripted to need the capital planet to exist and frontier is not, nothing more O;)

Nah, do not not think that any leaders in a unmodded game will have both a production and a upkeep, you can ofc do it but just as you say it sounds weird... and sure we (or any modder) could add modifiers to replicate the thing you say, but then you have numbers depending on numbers and the game gets very hard to play.
So what, governor production bonus is gone?
Leader cap is gone, leaders cost maintenance instead, with costs scaling to empire size.

Thank you for your informative walls of text Guuran.
There were a couple of points I'd like to comment:

Nah i have that in my TODO atm.
In regards to the outliner, could we get a "favorites" virtual sector (visual only)?
Because usually there's only a handful of planets that needs my full attention, and it'd be nice to have a list of those planets at a glance so I can see when they get funky icons on them.
Or perhaps better, a virtual sector that shows you the planets that are actively trying to tell you something.
Either way, my goal here is to have a place where I can at a glance check whether there's something I should pay attention to.

Yes a sector will still have a capital world, cannot answer how much impact that will be O;)
Awesome! Hopefully that will open up opportunities for your content creators in the future, and modders in the nearer future, to do all kinds of fun stuff with that :)

In the debate on geographical vs painted sectors:
While I'll quite possibly will miss the ability to paint my own sectors, I feel that geographical sectors will make it easier for paradox and modders to create fungoodstuff for them.
That said, I had a habit of trying to have them conform to geography, so I might be biased :D

Also, I'm kinda hoping that leader cost will not always be 100% connected to empire size.

Sector leaders - Calculate the empire size of the sector and use that as a multiplier for leader cost. And a tiny extra cost for total empire size. Just so we can simulate that the "bureaucracy needs to expand to fill the needs of the bureaucracy."

Admirals - Size of fleet currently managed, or max fleet size as the previous one can be avoided pretty much. Perhaps also an extra tiny modifier by empire size and/or total naval cap/size.

Scientists should probably be scaled on empire size for sure.

Generals I dunno, maybe total army size divided by # of generals multiplied with some relevant number?

Spies/Diplomats if you ever add them, the cost could be calculated from the size of the empire/sector they are working with, even if it's your own :D

And yes, the price should not reflect the leader as a person, but the leader and their staff.

Last edited:
So what, governor production bonus is gone?
Sorry i misunderstood, no thats a modifier that the governor will give the planets in its sector and as far as i know we will keep these since that i more or less a key feature of the governors O;)
What i thought you meant was that the leader it self actually generates resources just as it costs in upkeep, and yes this is possible with the new economics system.

In regards to the outliner, could we get a "favorites" virtual sector (visual only)?
Because usually there's only a handful of planets that needs my full attention, and it'd be nice to have a list of those planets at a glance so I can see when they get funky icons on them.
Or perhaps better, a virtual sector that shows you the planets that are actively trying to tell you something.
Either way, my goal here is to have a place where I can at a glance check whether there's something I should pay attention to.
I love the idea! tbh i will make it so O;) Just a "favorite" toggle in the planet view.

Also, I'm kinda hoping that leader cost will not always be 100% connected to empire size.

Sector leaders - Calculate the empire size of the sector and use that as a multiplier for leader cost. And a tiny extra cost for total empire size. Just so we can simulate that the "bureaucracy needs to expand to fill the needs of the bureaucracy."
hmmm this should be fairly easy to implement if it is not possible right now thru different triggered modifiers tbh,
for example: a governor could easily get a upkeep modifier from its sector depending on size or type.

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today we're going to continue talking about the 2.2 'Le Guin' update, on the topic of Sectors and Factions. As said before, we're not yet ready to reveal anything about when Le Guin is coming out, only that it's a long time away and we have many more topics to cover before then. Also as said before, screenshots will contain placeholder art and interfaces and non-final numbers.

Sector Rework
Sectors have always been a bit of a controversial feature. Even if you disregard arguments about the general level of competence of the sector AI, the fact that sectors effectively force the player to cede control over all but a few of their planets has never gone down well with certain players. In truth, the decision to force players to give planets to sectors was very much a result of the old tile system - because of the sheer amount of micromanagement that was involved in managing a large number of planets, it was decided that automation was necessary, and also to make that automation mandatory (barring mods) to effectively force players to not make themselves miserable by micromanaging the tiles of a hundred different worlds. With the planetary rework in the Le Guin update, we no longer feel that this mandatory automation is needed any longer, and so we've decided to rework the sector system entirely.

Instead of being autonomous mini-economies, sectors are now administrative units in your empire, with their layout decided by galactic geography, with each sector corresponding to a cluster of stars in the galaxy. Sectors are automatically created when you colonize a planet in a previously uncolonized cluster, and your 'core sector' is simply the cluster in which your capital is located. All interfaces that are relevant to sectors and planets (such as the outliner) are now organized by collapsible sector entries, allowing for better overview and management of a large number of planets. As before, each sector can have a governor assigned to it, but sectors now automatically send all of their production to the empire stockpile instead of having their own fully realized economy. However, since we still want players to be able to offload some of the planetary management when controlling a large number of worlds, it is still possible to allocate resources to a Governor, who will use those resources to develop the planets under their control. This of course means that there is no longer any core sector limit, and anything that previously used to give a bonus to core sector planets has either been changed into a different bonus or removed altogether.

EDIT: Since there's a lot of questions about leader capacity, please read down a bit further in the thread where I address this issue. Thank you!

(Note: Image is highly WIP and has missing elements)
View attachment 405542
Faction Happiness Rework
Factions are also changing in Le Guin, though not to nearly the same degree as sectors. Most of the core mechanics of factions will remain the same, but Faction Happiness is being changed into something we call Faction Approval, measuring how much a Faction approves of your empire's policies. Where previously Factions would only give influence when above a 60% happiness threshold, Factions now always give some influence, with the amount scaling linearly to their Approval, so a 10% Approval faction will give only 1/10th of the influence that a 100% Approval faction gives you (the amount they give also still scales to their share of power in your empire). Faction Approval is also no longer directly applied to Pop Happiness, but rather will affect the happiness of Pops belonging to that faction at different thresholds, with small boosts to happiness at higher levels of approval and increasingly severe penalties to happiness at low levels of approval (effectively swapping the influence threshold for various happiness thresholds).

This should mean that even small boosts to faction approval now directly translates into influence gain, and that factions almost always give *some* benefit, even if that benefit may be outweighed by the unhappiness and unrest they can cause. We're also hoping to have time to review the faction issues, tying them more directly to policies to make them easier to understand. For example, instead of demanding that all species have their rights manually set to Full Citizenship, the Xenophile faction might demand a certain empire-wide policy setting that forces the equal application of species rights across all species.
View attachment 405540

That's all for today! Next week we're continuing to talk about the Le Guin update, on the topic of Trade Value and Trade Routes.

Again... I like it. It seems very mature... but only partially implemented.
The same concept out to apply to interstellar relations when it comes to inter empire influence. The more they like you, the more influence you have with that empire for claims and to push terms in treaties. A simple extension of the race profile and the interstellar relations concept.

@Guraan
Hi. Will we have an option to add/remove planets from sector's geographical space via modding?
For the initial release i do not know, but it is in my backlog so it will be at least be added in the future to have static scriptable sectors and add/remove systems

Wow even more exciting changes. Can't wait to see how the new sectors play out.

With regard to factions, authoritarian empires, from time to time, need to purge some people. Typically, it's purging off of race. It would be nice if we could purge based on faction. Perhaps adding an influence cost, or risking a revolt, would be a way to ensure that consequences exist for having too much of an iron fist. But having flexibility to shape your empire the way you deem appropriate would be great.

I abandoned the game after playing for a short time because I hated the Sector system with a passion (and to a lesser extent the Tile System). I understood that sectors were meant to alleviate the micromanagement burden but I always thought that could be handled with automation.

I will definitely be checking out the game again with 2.2 and sincerely hope the new design is more up my alley.

I abandoned the game after playing for a short time because I hated the Sector system with a passion (and to a lesser extent the Tile System). I understood that sectors were meant to alleviate the micromanagement burden but I always thought that could be handled with automation.
Uhh... what do you think sectors are, if not automation?

Uhh... what do you think sectors are, if not automation?

You're right of course. I meant automation of tile construction on a planet by planet basis instead of the the more full automaton of sectors. I hated having to give up control so completely like that and especially how the AI handled it. I did find a MOD that did something like that but by then I had kind of moved on. Maybe I gave up too soon. I don't want to turn this into a sectors debate though :)

sectors are now administrative units in your empire, with their layout decided by galactic geography, with each sector corresponding to a cluster of stars in the galaxy
In the recent dev-clash, there was mentioned, that this has changed, but I haven't really understood how ? ...
+
A small wish in regards to the faction-UI ...
UI-Factions.png
("Managements" refers to the (ongoing) support (- 2.0 influence) or the (ongoing) suppression ( - 1.0 influence) of a / multiple faction(s)) ...

Last edited: