• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - Development Diary 7th of February 2023 - Russia

Privet! Welcome to this week’s Dev Diary, which is all about Russia. The last time Russia saw any big changes was with the release of “Third Rome” in 1.22 and the addition of their mission tree in 1.26. Ever since not a lot has happened there. 1.35 will change this as we are revisiting this region and updating it so it can keep up with Scandinavia, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and the Ottomans.

All numbers and art you see here are not final.

So let’s take a look at what we have for Russia!

The mission tree for Russia is split into two sections: the one you currently see is the Muscovite section, while the mission “Found the Tsardom” updates your tree with the actual Russian part. As Muscovy is the major player in this region, I have decided to focus first and foremost on their update, which is why we have this part here.

However, the Russia mission tree you get when forming Russia looks a bit different - depending on who you form Russia with.

Muscovite Russia.png

The mission tree when you form Russia as Muscovy.

Novgorod Russia.png

The mission tree when you form Russia as Novgorod.
Note: The mission tree is a bit outdated as your trade missions will focus on monopolizing the East and steer all the trade to Novgorod instead of competing with Western Europe.

When you form Russia as neither Muscovy nor Novgorod then you get a slightly altered Muscovite version of the tree with the top right mission being the following one:
Minor Reward.png

With that out of the way, let us dive into the main protagonist of the region, which is Muscovy.

The Pre-Russian missions are all conquest-related missions for Russia. Here you get claims on the historical borders of the Russian Empire, but also very ambitious ideas for regions Imperial Russia was interested in. Regions like Ruthenia, the Baltic region, and Poland, but also regions like Scandinavia and the northern parts of Persia are included.

An interesting mission would be the early “Rally the Army” mission, as this will define what kind of Russia you want to play:
flavor_rus.1.png

Note: the -15% Core-Creation Cost is added to offset the fact that Permanent Claims have -25% Core-Creation Cost compared to normal claims with their -10%. Due to the mass of permanent claims given away through mission trees, we are considering nerfing the Core-Creation Cost of permanent claims to -10% and removing this modifier from Russia.
But before we make a decision, we would like to hear the community out first.

As you can see, you have the option to abandon all Permanent Claims in exchange for temporary ones and a buff that allows you to fabricate new ones easier - a modifier that synergies really well with the “Claim State” diplomatic action of the Tsardom. Of course, you are not forced to do it and can still go with the permanent claims from the first option.

Another highlight would be the “Conquest of Finland” mission as it fires the following event:
flavor_rus.2.png

Owners of Lions of the North DLC are able to get an experimental reward from the mission “Slay the Lion of the North” if they decide to release Finland as a subject country:
finland_reward.png

Note: There is a tooltip bug. What you actually get are Caroleans, not Cawa if you decide against releasing Finland.

As for the other conquest-related missions, they are quite grounded. The “Third Rome” related missions have been integrated from the old mission tree into the new one. There is one highlight to be mentioned though with the mission “Protect the South Slavs”. You can complete it by… liberating the Slavs of the Balkans from the Ottomans. As a reward you will be able to form the Slavic culture group, unifying all Slavs into one cohesive culture group:
slavic.png

Other missions worth mentioning are “March into the Caucasus” and “Beyond the Caspian Sea” as both missions can be completed by having an Orthodox ally in the Caucasus fulfilling the requirements.
coop_mission.png

As you might have noticed, the missions which have “Dynamic Mission Rewards” now have an indicator in the form of a red cross or a green checkmark that shows which of the rewards you will get when you complete this mission. A common issue reported from 1.34 was the lack of readability of mission rewards and triggers, and while I prefer to avoid the “grocery lists”, sometimes they are a necessary evil.

Because of that, I have decided to work out this system which can be very useful when you have such switch-case mission rewards:
switch_case_reward.png

This mission is the worst offender of the “grocery lists” rewards in the Russian missions.

Finally, you have of course the classical “Colonize Siberia” missions, which then expand into colonizing North America. In order to make colonizing North America actually a worthwhile endeavor, the trade flow of North America has been adjusted:
trade_changes.png
The trade from Rio Grande and Hudson Bay now flows into California, which itself can flow into the Girin Trade Node.

And before you ask for it: No, there will not be dynamic trade in EU4. Period.

Now back to Muscovy. When you start as them you will be greeted with the following event:
flavor_rus.3.png
Historically, Muscovy was still a tributary state of the Hordes in 1444 and only stopped sending tribute to the Tatars in 1476. Instead of letting Muscovy start as a tributary state of the Great Horde, I have decided to portray their relationship in the form of this modifier instead as an actual tributary relationship has led to a lot fewer Russias in the game.

While you get the negative version of the modifier, the Sarai province gets a triggered modifier which benefits its horde owner:
tatar_yoke.png

While this modifier is active you have to pay an annual tribute to the owner of Sarai:
flavor_rus.4.png

The Great Horde will receive exactly this amount of Ducats if you decide to pay.
flavor_rus.5.png

However, if you decide to not pay the tribute then this event will fire for the Great Horde:
flavor_rus.6.png

deveastation.png

In order to end this relationship you must ensure that a non-horde country owns Sarai.
flavor_rus.7.png
Once the Tatar Yoke has been broken, it cannot be restored.

While the Tatar Yoke is one early struggle, Muscovy has to face another one in form of the Muscovite Civil War, which is caused by a dispute for the throne between Vasily II - your starting ruler - and Dmitry Shemiaka, the last of Yury’s three sons and cousin of Vasily.

As it is the final phase of the Muscovite Civil War, I decided to portray it through a very small flavor event chain instead of an outright disaster:
flavor_rus.8.png

flavor_rus.9.png

flavor_rus.10.png

This was for the Muscovy part of the content. Before we go into the matters of Russia, we take a look at the Novgorodian part first. As I mentioned earlier, if you form Russia as Novgorod your mission tree will be slightly altered as it does not make much sense for you to be asked to “Conquer Novgorod” while you originally started as Novgorod.

While Monarchical Russia puts a great emphasis on the idea of a “Third Rome”, Republican Russia aims for commercial dominance in Europe. As such your missions are less about conquering your way to the Balkans but instead focusing on monopolizing the trade of Eastern Europe for yourself. “Compete with the Channel” is the penultimate end to it with a neat +25 permanent Power Projection as a reward.

With that being said, let us continue with the missions of a unified Russia. While the top part is heavily focused on conquest, the lower part is about the internal affairs of Russia. Missions like “Enact the Sudebnik” and “Book of Royal Degrees” concern themselves with administrative reforms in Russia. “Handle the Boyars” and “Abolish the Mestnichestvo” are about your nobility and how you should get rid of your starting estate privilege.

Note: Right now, the privilege can be finished on day one, but this will be covered during the development.
mestnichestvo.png

flavor_rus.11.png

Another part of the internal affairs is related to Vodka (which was historically a big part of Russian society and the Tsar’s way to keep his people pacified) and the peasantry, represented by the missions “The Vodka Monopoly” and “The Fate of the Peasantry” - more to the peasants of Russia later.

Finally, a mission about the Patriarchate which upgrades your “Consecrate Metropolitan” ability.
paladin_buffs_confirmed.png

One of the more impactful missions regarding your special unit is “Recruit the Streltsy” as its reward is an event that can turn your Streltsy into a parallel version of the Janissaries:
flavor_rus.12.png

With every new ruler, your Streltsy will demand their payment once again.
flavor_rus.13.png

Note: should you lose your ability to recruit Streltsy in any way, shape or form then this event will no longer fire.

The final mission of the Tsardom missions of Russia is the “Great Imperial Ambitions” which can only be completed if you finish modernizing your country.

And, well, here I should address the elephant in the room. As you have seen, some rewards give something called “Modernization”. This is part of the new mechanic unique to Russia:
modernization.png

Note: The UI and the modifiers it gives are still very much in work in progress. As you might have noticed, there are a few issues with it like our +- Modernization gain.

Modernization is a measurement of how much your country has westernized. You gain modernization from having more than 50% Crown Land, from embracing institutions 10 years after they have been unlocked, from Innovativeness (for now, I want to move this to a new “Ahead of Time” static modifier), from Advisors which are NOT from your culture group scaling with their skill level, from your ruler’s administrative abilities and from positive relations with countries which either have researched more technologies than you OR a great power of the Western Technology group.

The “Grand Embassy” event chain (which triggers have been updated in order for it to fire more frequently) gives a huge boost to Modernization too.

However, you lose Modernization on a base level as well as from every estate privilege you give away. This is especially the case if you give the Nobles or the Cossacks privileges while the Burghers or the Clergy have a lot less negative impact on Modernization. Having obsolete buildings which are not up to your technology as well as having any kind of instability, corruption, inflation, and disaster reduces modernization.

This is especially noticeable during the Times of Trouble.

I keep myself a bit vague with the sources of Modernization and how the actual numbers will play out as this is still in development and some ideas might have to be replaced with others. The aim is to recreate the necessary feeling that your country has potential for greatness, yet is stuck with outdated traditions which hinder you to reach said greatness until you get rid of these troublemakers.

So, what do you get from handling modernization? You will be able to enact the following decision when you reach 90% Modernization, be one of the great powers and have humiliated one of your rivals.
form_russian_empire.png

flavor_rus.14.png

Of course, there is a Republican version of this mechanic and event too!
flavor_rus.15.png

Unlocking the new government reform also gives you access to the Imperial Russian missions and a cosmetic goodie:
flavor_rus.16.png

Note: ONLY your tech group gets changed to Western, NOT your units. They get updated with a later mission.

With the new government reform, you get a new mechanic which replaces the Modernization mechanic: the Russian Rule.

Note: right now they are just bars, I am currently thinking of ways of making them a bit more interactive, but I figured I should still mention them anyway.

These bars represent the different directions Russia went historically depending on what kind of ruler they had. Somebody like Catherine the Great would have a high rule while Peter III would be… not so beneficial for the state in comparison.

With every new ruler, these bars reset to 0, though they are still subject to further changes.

With that being said, let us continue with the mission tree once again. With the formation of the Russian Empire, you get access to the following missions:
russian_rule.png

Note: right now they are just bars, I am currently thinking of ways of making them a bit more interactive, but I figured I should still mention them anyway.

These bars represent the different directions Russia went historically depending on what kind of ruler they had. Somebody like Catherine the Great would have a high rule while Peter III would be… not so beneficial for the state in comparison.

With every new ruler, these bars reset to 0, though they are still subject to further changes.

With that being said, let us continue with the mission tree once again. With the formation of the Russian Empire, you get access to the following missions:
imperial_russian_missions.png

Highlights here are the missions "Westernize the Military", “The Governing Senate”, and “Pass the Issues”.
As the name implies, "Westernize the Military" will update your unit type to the Western Tech group, though you need to win 40 battles (starting counting after the mission "Handle the Streltsy", reach 80 Army Tradition and 90% Army Professionalism)

Completing “The Governing Senate” gives you access to two unique government reforms - though you can only pick one of the two:
governing_senate.png

Note: Modifiers are not final.

While the Governing Senate has the classic parliament, Enforced Autocracy changes the way you can interact with your estates.
estate_button.png

seize_and_sell.png

Note: Depending on feedback, this could become a default thing for all countries at a certain government tier. At least this suggestion reached me within the office, but I am curious what you think of it.
“Pass the Issues” has a reward that synergies with the reform you have chosen prior.
pass_the_issues.png

If you complete the mission “Great Power of the East” then you will be able to unlock the very final missions of Russia during the Age of Revolutions:
revolutionary_missions.png

The highlight is +5% Administrative Efficiency and Revolutionary Zeal / Max Absolutism from the final mission.​

That was it for the mission tree part, but I am not done quite yet.

Next to the mission tree, Russia has received a bunch of new flavor events too!
flavor_rus.18.png

flavor_rus.19.png

flavor_rus.20.png

flavor_rus.21.png

flavor_rus.22.png

Note: Yes, I am aware of the missing localization in the effect section. It has been fixed after the DD has been finished.

flavor_rus.23.png
And of course, a whole event chain related to the peasantry of Russia - and its unfortunate fate.

One of your early missions as Russia will require you to enact one of the two privileges to the Nobility: “Early Serfdom” and “Increased Peasant Freedom” which would be the alt historical path for the peasantry to take.

For the sake of the dev diary, I will showcase the Serfdom path.
serfdom.png

serfdom1.png

serfdom2.png

serfdom3.png

serfdom4.png
In order to get rid of this privilege for good you need to complete the mission “Abolish the Serfdom” in the Revolutionary part of the mission tree.

That was it for today. I thank you all for your attention! Next week we will focus on Western Europe with @PDX Big Boss as we take a closer look at the content for France!

eu4_dd_russia.png

Attachments

• Muscovite Russia.png
    Muscovite Russia.png
    1,2 MB · Views: 0
  • 102Like
  • 39Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Also small suggestion: Think about changing the "liberate ruthenia" title to conquer/invade/annex etc, as it claims a historical "right" / "need" to conquer this lands what also in the modern situation is quite meh... Love all the missions and ideas behind them.

Also great to see all the additions of historical cities and persons! As well as the poor peasents! Thats really great
"Liberate Ruthenia" is a deeply unfortunate name. "Conquer Rus" reflects reality more in regards to Muscovy versus Rus. Also, the Rus', or Rusians, were not "Russians".

Edit: A clarification is necessary. In Russian the word for the Rusian people (Rusyny) is literally "drevnerusskiy", or "ancient Russian", which is an intellectually dishonest term which seeks to contort historical fact into a narrative that makes it seem like Muscovy/Russia was liberating Rus, despite the fact that in order to understand the people of Kyiv, the Tsars and their chinovniki needed interpretors to understand the Rusian (Old Ukrainian and Belarusian) language. The Russians are not Rus, just as the Americans are not British. The only reason such a fact is controversial in Russia is because it challenges the historically dominant imperial narrative that spread from Russia during the 18th and 19th centuries regarding the history of Ukraine-Rus and Belarus.
Are you really trying to retroactively cancel the Russian Empire? Are you going to have this same fervor against the fact that China has a mission to conquer Taiwan, Ottomans to conquer Syria, and everything else that goes on in EU4 that happens in the world?

Get over yourselves.

Has PDS decided to employ Muscovite draft-dodgers as devs?
Classy.

• 31Like
  • 4Haha
Reactions:
Great content in all of these recent dev diaries. I'm especially excited for the Ottomans and Russia. One thing that worries me, however, is that areas that already have a decent amount of content for them already (like Japan and France) are getting more stuff while areas that have nothing haven't yet been, specifically the Middle East.

Persia is one of the most important players in the entire early modern period and they don't even have a mission tree, much less any special flavor. The whole region between Tunis and Ming is pretty barren, while there's so much that could be done with it. The Aq Qoyunlu conquering Iran and the rise of the Safavids and messianic Shi'ism; the collapse of the Timurid realm in the face of the Uzbek invasion (Uzbek doesn't even have unique national ideas!), resulting in Babur being driven to Afghanistan and invading India to form the Mughals; the Safavid wars against the Uzbeks, the Ottomans, and the Russians; the support the Safavids gave the Mughals to reconquer India from the Afghans; Nader Shah ("the Napoleon of Persia") curb-stomping to Ottomans and sacking Delhi, carrying off the Mughals' Peacock Throne. There could be branching religious missions, with a Shi'a path, a Sunni path, and a Zoroastrian path; the latter could even change the name of your country to "Iranshahr" or something.

The Mamluks start off as the second ranked great power yet they have no mission tree, little unique flavor, and their unique government type (which could be incredibly interesting and fun) is pretty lackluster. Egypt is one of the worst formables in the game and gives you nothing: why not have unique content for it based on the de facto independent government of Muhammad Ali in the early 19th century? or maybe even an option to return to the Coptic religion or even ancient Egyptian paganism?

India has a decent amount of content but to me feels somewhat static. It could have a LOT more stuff befitting its incredibly important role in world history. The Mughal mission tree is mostly just "conquer this, conquer that," and there's so much more interesting stuff that could be there---dealing with the conflicts between Central Asian, Iranian, and Indian nobles in the court; the integration of Rajputs into the military; the drawn out war with the Marathas in the south which led to the empire's dissolution---but instead you easily conquer India and complete your entire measly mission tree within the first hundred years and then just blob out. Nepal is supposed to be "the Prussia of Asia" but its military ideas are nowhere near Prussia's, it doesn't get the militarization mechanic, and it doesn't even have a mission tree. There is no simulation of the Islamization of east Bengal and the Indus borderlands, or the massive amounts of land clearance and settlement expansion that was going on in this period (Bengal should be able to turn its eastern jungle provinces into farmlands!). Europeans absolutely never have any involvement in India besides Portugal getting Goa in the event; I've never seen any European country colonize any part of India. Half the time Delhi or Bengal end up conquering all of Tibet instead of expanding into the rest of India, which makes no sense.

Hopefully I'm preaching to the choir and you're already planning to add content to these regions. Either way, looking forward to the next dev diary.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Nice job, this is the first time i don't see any insanely broken modifiers in a long time of checking DD.

But ironically this time, i am a little worry because of the opposite reason. The lack of quantity or/and quality modifiers for the Russia. Especially considering the neighbors Russia has, Poland, Sweden, Ottomans and Japan all of this countries characterize for having a lot of military quality. Also, i want to point the fact that after the changes to cannons (now they retreat and reinforce 2 by 2). Quality is so much important than Quantity, because the side with more quality you will force the other side cannons to retreat first and since they only reinforce slowly there is a snow ball effect, because you don’t have full cannons an the other side have. Also the way manpower is calculated (after the pass update local modifiers and global modifiers for manpower are additive instead of multiplicative). This is way russia has pass from probably the strongest military tag to one of the worst. Russia is the only mayor with no disipline by ideas (yes they have from religion but anyone can change religion). In japan in the previus DD you give him 15% recovery and 10% manpower of the true faith you could add come more manpower and limit from in the missions. or a 5% disiplene thats has always lacks from the ideas

Although this is concern is something almost exclusive for MP since if the neighbors are AI they won’t take advantage of all the powerful bonus they have. i and my friends wish some more love for this tag which is supposed to be one of the greatest powers of this era. So it can have some impanct in ower MP, right now is getting wipe by poland hussars in every battle.

Thacks for reading

• 4Like
Reactions:
Are you really trying to retroactively cancel the Russian Empire? Are you going to have this same fervor against the fact that China has a mission to conquer Taiwan, Ottomans to conquer Syria, and everything else that goes on in EU4 that happens in the world?

Get over yourselves.

Classy.
Nope, and your reaction is rather telling, as I was proposing that "liberate", which especially in Ukrainian and Belarusian history has a problematic connotation whenever Moscow comes into the picture (except for 1944, and even then that was a process of being juggled between Soviet and Nazi Totalitarianism). Moscow immediately set about repressing and attempting to assimilating Rusian (Ukrainian and Belarusian) culture to Russian culture as soon as they gained full control over Kyiv, and the history that many were taught until full and uninterrupted independence in 1991 was that Russia was the liberator of the "little brothers", despite during the time period of EUIV seemingly taking every opportunity to repress and brutalise Ukraine-Rus and Belarus.

Edit: If Paradox put as much love into the Rusian perspective during this period, which they haven't, I perhaps wouldn't be so vocal about this issue.

Edit II: For those giving the disagrees, it is rather painful to see that so many of you fine fellows seem to be going along with this fearmongering of "trying to retroactively cancel the Russian Empire". Your precious little Muscovite Empire is safe, it's left its mark in history and it is one that unfortunately for fourteen independent nations and many that are still part of the Muscovite state today cannot be erased. This is a hill I will die upon, because unfortunately in your game about politics and imperialism, politics and imperialism will come up, especially when it is about the victims of the imperialism of EUIV and today.

Last edited:
  • 15Like
Reactions:
Uniting the Slavs under 1 nation has been a dream/goal throughout history, attempted numerous times. Regionalized a few times. It makes sense to be able to do it as Russia in this. Love the change, but I would also like to say, Poland should be able to as well, being the other major Slavic power at the time. Maybe make it a decision that requires a Slavic culture being your primary culture and you owning all other Slavic culture tiles in the game? Or, at vast majority at least? That way any Slavic nation could do it.

• 19Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I don't really want to start the drama that is already happening in twitter, so ill just copy and widen my comment from Poland Dev diary from the june of last year.

My main concern is that the game after all of these years - i've been playing for almost 10, lacks content for Ruthenia and Belarus regions and here we are getting another Russia revamp. I mean I glad that fans of Russian region get it, so I'll just put my 5 cents about what i'd like to seeto be done about Ruthenia.

Cossacks.
There is no mention of their struggle for independence/autonomy in game. They just, idk, exist, and that's it. While in real life after the Union of Lublin, the Ruthenian population between the hammer and anvil. They were forcefully polonized in PLC and later russificated by Russia. Yet in-game we always have Ruthenian as an accepted culture and great religious tolerance in Poland/PLC. Not to mention there is no malus for converting orthodox provinces to Catholicism. As for Russia the same happens when they conquer Ruthenia. Sometimes AI also easily changes the culture of the region.
This created a soil for the uprisings like the biggest one - the Khmelnytskyi Uprising that led to the creation of the Hetmanate (Kingdom tier) (which can be a new tag in the Ruthenia region that will spawn as a vassal of the Muscovy/Ottomans/any other PLC rival in case that PLC will have this disaster triggered or as an independent state with one of these countries as an ally) that led to the decline of the PLC. Or smaller uprisings/events for autonomy that can lead to the creation of Zaporizhia (which should be named The Zaporozhian Sich) (County/Duchy tier) as a separate vassal/march that can be effective in repelling the aggression from the east and south, or be a bit of a pain in the a** if their liberty desire (or outcome of some events)will lead to their disloyal status. Sich as an entity (vassal of Lithuania) should be present if not from the start date, then it should spawn as a vassal in 1471 (but to be fair, we have a plenty of tags that didn't exist at 1444 but were added for flavour, or we can have the event for Lithuania that creates Sich as their march around 1470).
No Greek-Catholic church as an option for faith, with great prospect to re-establish Chalcedonian Christianity for example, for those players that think big. To be honest I thought that after Hussite, the Greek-Catholic denomination will come next.
No separate event/mission for The Treaty of Hadiach that should lead to the humanistic and tolerant and maybe tall way of playing the PLC. It sjould reform PLC into PLRC adding Ruthenia as the third legal entity of the union. I think Greek-Catholic PLRC would be an interesting alternative choice for players.

So these are my takes I wrote last year, and I'm sure there is more to be added, but I don't want to dive too deep, especially when on 7th page my comment won't even be seen by much of the people anyway.

I really hope that PDX will improve Ruthenia and Cossack experience.
Cheers.

• 9Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
I really don't like the development of so many unique mechanics for Russia which parallel existing mechanics in theme and function, like modernisation or Russian Rule. It doesn't make sense to have two parallel systems doing the same thing, and I think the base mechanics (tech group, institution spread, monarch skills) should be changed if they don't provide the necessary simulation detail, rather than providing overrides for the countries deemed important enough.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't really want to start the drama that is already happening in twitter, so ill just copy and widen my comment from Poland Dev diary from the june of last year.

My main concern is that the game after all of these years - i've been playing for almost 10, lacks content for Ruthenia and Belarus regions and here we are getting another Russia revamp. I mean I glad that fans of Russian region get it, so I'll just put my 5 cents about what i'd like to seeto be done about Ruthenia.

Cossacks.
There is no mention of their struggle for independence/autonomy in game. They just, idk, exist, and that's it. While in real life after the Union of Lublin, the Ruthenian population between the hammer and anvil. They were forcefully polonized in PLC and later russificated by Russia. Yet in-game we always have Ruthenian as an accepted culture and great religious tolerance in Poland/PLC. Not to mention there is no malus for converting orthodox provinces to Catholicism. As for Russia the same happens when they conquer Ruthenia. Sometimes AI also easily changes the culture of the region.
This created a soil for the uprisings like the biggest one - the Khmelnytskyi Uprising that led to the creation of the Hetmanate (Kingdom tier) (which can be a new tag in the Ruthenia region that will spawn as a vassal of the Muscovy/Ottomans/any other PLC rival in case that PLC will have this disaster triggered or as an independent state with one of these countries as an ally) that led to the decline of the PLC. Or smaller uprisings/events for autonomy that can lead to the creation of Zaporizhia (which should be named The Zaporozhian Sich) (County/Duchy tier) as a separate vassal/march that can be effective in repelling the aggression from the east and south, or be a bit of a pain in the a** if their liberty desire (or outcome of some events)will lead to their disloyal status. Sich as an entity (vassal of Lithuania) should be present if not from the start date, then it should spawn as a vassal in 1471 (but to be fair, we have a plenty of tags that didn't exist at 1444 but were added for flavour, or we can have the event for Lithuania that creates Sich as their march around 1470).
No Greek-Catholic church as an option for faith, with great prospect to re-establish Chalcedonian Christianity for example, for those players that think big. To be honest I thought that after Hussite, the Greek-Catholic denomination will come next.
No separate event/mission for The Treaty of Hadiach that should lead to the humanistic and tolerant and maybe tall way of playing the PLC. It sjould reform PLC into PLRC adding Ruthenia as the third legal entity of the union. I think Greek-Catholic PLRC would be an interesting alternative choice for players.

So these are my takes I wrote last year, and I'm sure there is more to be added, but I don't want to dive too deep, especially when on 7th page my comment won't even be seen by much of the people anyway.

I really hope that PDX will improve Ruthenia and Cossack experience.
Cheers.
Jesus Christ, this is so obvious that of course we won't get it. Instead we'll get memey "slavic brotherhoods."

• 7Like
Reactions:
I'm sorry, but serfdom gives at some point both 10% tech and ideas cost reductions and only minus is institutions spread? Isn't it Muscovy were for long time really decadent in terms of technologies in real life? Have you ever read some history?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Interesting development diary, I am not really sure how I feel about the modernization mechanic for Russia, feels like I will have to see it in action to have a better understanding of it. Feels cool to have flavor in missions for both Muscovy and Novgorod. I think the trade flow adjustments in North America sound really good, though they look a bit messy in the screenshot posted. Hoping to see content for France that includes dealing with the French colonial empire, on reacting to the Haitian Revolution and how the result of that influenced the eventual Louisiana Purchase.

Reactions:
Great content in perspective.

I don't understand the difference between "Western Tech Group" and "Western Units". I always thought that the tech group you are in only influence which infantry and cavalry units you get access to. What other thing the tech group modulate ?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Can you add a theocratic reforms for Russia? Like a Great Patriachate, would be cool if you wanna roleplay a Russia where the Church seized power.
I somewhat disagree on account of the Orthodox concept of Symphonia in which the Church and State are allied and support one another while remaining independent institutions. While the concept is interesting and might make for fun gameplay, I feel that it's not really historically or theologically plausible. Though granted, we did historically see the opposite when Tsar Peter seized control of the Church so if it were added, perhaps it'd be neat to have it as the result of a potential disaster caused by that event failing?

"Liberate Ruthenia" is a deeply unfortunate name. "Conquer Rus" reflects reality more in regards to Muscovy versus Rus. Also, the Rus', or Rusians, were not "Russians".

Edit: A clarification is necessary. In Russian the word for the Rusian people (Rusyny) is literally "drevnerusskiy", or "ancient Russian", which is an intellectually dishonest term which seeks to contort historical fact into a narrative that makes it seem like Muscovy/Russia was liberating Rus, despite the fact that in order to understand the people of Kyiv, the Tsars and their chinovniki needed interpretors to understand the Rusian (Old Ukrainian and Belarusian) language. The Russians are not Rus, just as the Americans are not British. The only reason such a fact is controversial in Russia is because it challenges the historically dominant imperial narrative that spread from Russia during the 18th and 19th centuries regarding the history of Ukraine-Rus and Belarus.
In fairness, I think that the content of various nations (including mission trees) is generally told from the historical perspective of the nations in question. "Liberate Ruthenia" as a mission name reflects the mentality of the Russian Empire at the time (regardless of historical atrocities) rather than the perspective of Paradox or modern scholars.

Anyways, onto the dev diary itself, I'm happy about the new content and hoping that Westernization won't require you to lose the Streltsy and Cossacks since they're a good chunk of the flavor and from a balance point, they help make the quality disparity between Russia and its neighbors a little less horrendous. If we do have to lose them, it'd be ideal if we could get some other bonus to quality so as to have a better chance against Commonwealth/Turkish/Scandinavian/Teutonic super-soldiers.

I would also like permanent claims to remain unnerfed. Partially because it gives them meaning and partially because I really like the choice Russia players are being given. Without the CCR modifier at the penalty of use it or lose it, the special option is much less appealing and thus loses the unique playstyle offered.

I am kinda curious as to whether more is going to be done with Siberia and how colonization of Alaska is going to work. While the trade redirection adds incentive, it still seems like it'd be fairly painful to colonize Alaska, particularly if it costs a much needed idea group to do so. Maybe a colonist at the end of the Siberia missions like some mission trees already have? Wouldn't even have to be a permanent one.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I am kinda curious as to whether more is going to be done with Siberia and how colonization of Alaska is going to work. While the trade redirection adds incentive, it still seems like it'd be fairly painful to colonize Alaska, particularly if it costs a much needed idea group to do so. Maybe a colonist at the end of the Siberia missions like some mission trees already have? Wouldn't even have to be a permanent one.
Not a bad idea. Or, to even keep it specific to Alaska, completing Siberian missions could give you colonies started in Alaska with 0 upkeep, as you see in some of Africa.

Reactions:
Not a bad idea. Or, to even keep it specific to Alaska, completing Siberian missions could give you colonies started in Alaska with 0 upkeep, as you see in some of Africa.
Funnily enough, IIRC, those missions use the Siberian Frontier mechanic on that territory. My only issues with that approach are that you run the risk of either A) getting Alaska for free or B) having difficulty adapting to natives or another colonial power moving into the area before you.

I like the (possibly temporary) colonist because it both has a bit of cost and upkeep for A and allows some flexibility for B

Reactions:
Great content, but please add an option to chose from different names than just Russia. Rus comes to mind, but I'm sure there's other candidates. Even just keep being called Novgorod (or Great Novogorod) while optaining the Russian mission branch.

For all these years since Third Rome, the region has been giving the impression that a state called Russia is the teleological outcome. Please stop it - at the start date, rather slim were the chances of what we now call Russia.

• 2Like
Reactions:
And before you ask for it: No, there will not be dynamic trade in EU4. Period.

In all seriousness I think the +1 possible and +1 free policies are nice, but in combination with Innovative ideas and the monarchy government reforms tier 8 and 9 youd be looking at 5 possible policies in every category, where 4 of them are free. That seems a bit absurd, maybe make those tier 8 and 9 reforms incompatible with this new Russian Empire Tier 1 thing

Also what is with the griping about having to pay for content? Did you guys never buy video games that came on CDs? You buy a game as it is at the time that it ships, where are you getting this idea that buying third rome as it was means you get free access to new features in the future? Nobody expected to get Brood War for free just cause they bought the base game.

Regarding the crownland event: thats a cool idea and you should definitely expand that to every country by default, although id suggest you make the tooltip for seizing from a specific estate reflect the ACTUAL amount of crownland you will gain (for example, when you mouseover sieze land in present state it always says you will gain 5 percent crownland even if thats not true: say you have increased levies enacted and the nobles are the only estate with any crownland at all, so you actually get zero)

1675795783151.png

Please do not do this, that will lead to exploits like someone repeatedly passing and immediately revoking Exclusive Trade Rights to cheese 100 mercantilism or Patronage of the Arts to cheese 100 prestige etc

Also since people are complaining about manpower, the dev diary seems a little hastily written? I think you should edit it to reflect that you are expanding upon or changing the modifiers that Russia already has access to and not creating new mechanics with which to stack more manpower mods. Russia already had Tsardom government form with manpower, it already had the manpower buff from the serfdom event, etc

Other people have posted this as well, but the Serfdom modifiers should be a trade off between tech/idea cost reduction vs the rest. The way you have it right now its a no brainer: more manpower AND cost reduction where the only drawback is slightly slower institution spread in a nation where most of Siberia is going to be a trade company anyway? Thats hardly an engaging choice. Making it a choice between cost reduction OR manpower and wartaxes or whatever is a more meaningful player choice than what youve proposed.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Oh please don't lower the Core Creation Cost modifier of permanent claims from -25% to -10%. That's the best part of a permanent claim as compared to a non permanent claim, and really helps save admin points, especially early game

Reactions: