• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Europa Universalis IV - Development Diary 7th of February 2023 - Russia

Privet! Welcome to this week’s Dev Diary, which is all about Russia. The last time Russia saw any big changes was with the release of “Third Rome” in 1.22 and the addition of their mission tree in 1.26. Ever since not a lot has happened there. 1.35 will change this as we are revisiting this region and updating it so it can keep up with Scandinavia, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and the Ottomans.

All numbers and art you see here are not final.

So let’s take a look at what we have for Russia!

The mission tree for Russia is split into two sections: the one you currently see is the Muscovite section, while the mission “Found the Tsardom” updates your tree with the actual Russian part. As Muscovy is the major player in this region, I have decided to focus first and foremost on their update, which is why we have this part here.

However, the Russia mission tree you get when forming Russia looks a bit different - depending on who you form Russia with.

Muscovite Russia.png

The mission tree when you form Russia as Muscovy.

Novgorod Russia.png

The mission tree when you form Russia as Novgorod.
Note: The mission tree is a bit outdated as your trade missions will focus on monopolizing the East and steer all the trade to Novgorod instead of competing with Western Europe.

When you form Russia as neither Muscovy nor Novgorod then you get a slightly altered Muscovite version of the tree with the top right mission being the following one:
Minor Reward.png

With that out of the way, let us dive into the main protagonist of the region, which is Muscovy.

The Pre-Russian missions are all conquest-related missions for Russia. Here you get claims on the historical borders of the Russian Empire, but also very ambitious ideas for regions Imperial Russia was interested in. Regions like Ruthenia, the Baltic region, and Poland, but also regions like Scandinavia and the northern parts of Persia are included.

An interesting mission would be the early “Rally the Army” mission, as this will define what kind of Russia you want to play:
flavor_rus.1.png

Note: the -15% Core-Creation Cost is added to offset the fact that Permanent Claims have -25% Core-Creation Cost compared to normal claims with their -10%. Due to the mass of permanent claims given away through mission trees, we are considering nerfing the Core-Creation Cost of permanent claims to -10% and removing this modifier from Russia.
But before we make a decision, we would like to hear the community out first.

As you can see, you have the option to abandon all Permanent Claims in exchange for temporary ones and a buff that allows you to fabricate new ones easier - a modifier that synergies really well with the “Claim State” diplomatic action of the Tsardom. Of course, you are not forced to do it and can still go with the permanent claims from the first option.

Another highlight would be the “Conquest of Finland” mission as it fires the following event:
flavor_rus.2.png

Owners of Lions of the North DLC are able to get an experimental reward from the mission “Slay the Lion of the North” if they decide to release Finland as a subject country:
finland_reward.png

Note: There is a tooltip bug. What you actually get are Caroleans, not Cawa if you decide against releasing Finland.

As for the other conquest-related missions, they are quite grounded. The “Third Rome” related missions have been integrated from the old mission tree into the new one. There is one highlight to be mentioned though with the mission “Protect the South Slavs”. You can complete it by… liberating the Slavs of the Balkans from the Ottomans. As a reward you will be able to form the Slavic culture group, unifying all Slavs into one cohesive culture group:
slavic.png

Other missions worth mentioning are “March into the Caucasus” and “Beyond the Caspian Sea” as both missions can be completed by having an Orthodox ally in the Caucasus fulfilling the requirements.
coop_mission.png

As you might have noticed, the missions which have “Dynamic Mission Rewards” now have an indicator in the form of a red cross or a green checkmark that shows which of the rewards you will get when you complete this mission. A common issue reported from 1.34 was the lack of readability of mission rewards and triggers, and while I prefer to avoid the “grocery lists”, sometimes they are a necessary evil.

Because of that, I have decided to work out this system which can be very useful when you have such switch-case mission rewards:
switch_case_reward.png

This mission is the worst offender of the “grocery lists” rewards in the Russian missions.

Finally, you have of course the classical “Colonize Siberia” missions, which then expand into colonizing North America. In order to make colonizing North America actually a worthwhile endeavor, the trade flow of North America has been adjusted:
trade_changes.png
The trade from Rio Grande and Hudson Bay now flows into California, which itself can flow into the Girin Trade Node.

And before you ask for it: No, there will not be dynamic trade in EU4. Period.

Now back to Muscovy. When you start as them you will be greeted with the following event:
flavor_rus.3.png
Historically, Muscovy was still a tributary state of the Hordes in 1444 and only stopped sending tribute to the Tatars in 1476. Instead of letting Muscovy start as a tributary state of the Great Horde, I have decided to portray their relationship in the form of this modifier instead as an actual tributary relationship has led to a lot fewer Russias in the game.

While you get the negative version of the modifier, the Sarai province gets a triggered modifier which benefits its horde owner:
tatar_yoke.png

While this modifier is active you have to pay an annual tribute to the owner of Sarai:
flavor_rus.4.png

The Great Horde will receive exactly this amount of Ducats if you decide to pay.
flavor_rus.5.png

However, if you decide to not pay the tribute then this event will fire for the Great Horde:
flavor_rus.6.png

deveastation.png

In order to end this relationship you must ensure that a non-horde country owns Sarai.
flavor_rus.7.png
Once the Tatar Yoke has been broken, it cannot be restored.

While the Tatar Yoke is one early struggle, Muscovy has to face another one in form of the Muscovite Civil War, which is caused by a dispute for the throne between Vasily II - your starting ruler - and Dmitry Shemiaka, the last of Yury’s three sons and cousin of Vasily.

As it is the final phase of the Muscovite Civil War, I decided to portray it through a very small flavor event chain instead of an outright disaster:
flavor_rus.8.png

flavor_rus.9.png

flavor_rus.10.png

This was for the Muscovy part of the content. Before we go into the matters of Russia, we take a look at the Novgorodian part first. As I mentioned earlier, if you form Russia as Novgorod your mission tree will be slightly altered as it does not make much sense for you to be asked to “Conquer Novgorod” while you originally started as Novgorod.

While Monarchical Russia puts a great emphasis on the idea of a “Third Rome”, Republican Russia aims for commercial dominance in Europe. As such your missions are less about conquering your way to the Balkans but instead focusing on monopolizing the trade of Eastern Europe for yourself. “Compete with the Channel” is the penultimate end to it with a neat +25 permanent Power Projection as a reward.

With that being said, let us continue with the missions of a unified Russia. While the top part is heavily focused on conquest, the lower part is about the internal affairs of Russia. Missions like “Enact the Sudebnik” and “Book of Royal Degrees” concern themselves with administrative reforms in Russia. “Handle the Boyars” and “Abolish the Mestnichestvo” are about your nobility and how you should get rid of your starting estate privilege.

Note: Right now, the privilege can be finished on day one, but this will be covered during the development.
mestnichestvo.png

flavor_rus.11.png

Another part of the internal affairs is related to Vodka (which was historically a big part of Russian society and the Tsar’s way to keep his people pacified) and the peasantry, represented by the missions “The Vodka Monopoly” and “The Fate of the Peasantry” - more to the peasants of Russia later.

Finally, a mission about the Patriarchate which upgrades your “Consecrate Metropolitan” ability.
paladin_buffs_confirmed.png

One of the more impactful missions regarding your special unit is “Recruit the Streltsy” as its reward is an event that can turn your Streltsy into a parallel version of the Janissaries:
flavor_rus.12.png

With every new ruler, your Streltsy will demand their payment once again.
flavor_rus.13.png

Note: should you lose your ability to recruit Streltsy in any way, shape or form then this event will no longer fire.

The final mission of the Tsardom missions of Russia is the “Great Imperial Ambitions” which can only be completed if you finish modernizing your country.

And, well, here I should address the elephant in the room. As you have seen, some rewards give something called “Modernization”. This is part of the new mechanic unique to Russia:
modernization.png

Note: The UI and the modifiers it gives are still very much in work in progress. As you might have noticed, there are a few issues with it like our +- Modernization gain.

Modernization is a measurement of how much your country has westernized. You gain modernization from having more than 50% Crown Land, from embracing institutions 10 years after they have been unlocked, from Innovativeness (for now, I want to move this to a new “Ahead of Time” static modifier), from Advisors which are NOT from your culture group scaling with their skill level, from your ruler’s administrative abilities and from positive relations with countries which either have researched more technologies than you OR a great power of the Western Technology group.

The “Grand Embassy” event chain (which triggers have been updated in order for it to fire more frequently) gives a huge boost to Modernization too.

However, you lose Modernization on a base level as well as from every estate privilege you give away. This is especially the case if you give the Nobles or the Cossacks privileges while the Burghers or the Clergy have a lot less negative impact on Modernization. Having obsolete buildings which are not up to your technology as well as having any kind of instability, corruption, inflation, and disaster reduces modernization.

This is especially noticeable during the Times of Trouble.

I keep myself a bit vague with the sources of Modernization and how the actual numbers will play out as this is still in development and some ideas might have to be replaced with others. The aim is to recreate the necessary feeling that your country has potential for greatness, yet is stuck with outdated traditions which hinder you to reach said greatness until you get rid of these troublemakers.

So, what do you get from handling modernization? You will be able to enact the following decision when you reach 90% Modernization, be one of the great powers and have humiliated one of your rivals.
form_russian_empire.png

flavor_rus.14.png

Of course, there is a Republican version of this mechanic and event too!
flavor_rus.15.png

Unlocking the new government reform also gives you access to the Imperial Russian missions and a cosmetic goodie:
flavor_rus.16.png

Note: ONLY your tech group gets changed to Western, NOT your units. They get updated with a later mission.

With the new government reform, you get a new mechanic which replaces the Modernization mechanic: the Russian Rule.

Note: right now they are just bars, I am currently thinking of ways of making them a bit more interactive, but I figured I should still mention them anyway.

These bars represent the different directions Russia went historically depending on what kind of ruler they had. Somebody like Catherine the Great would have a high rule while Peter III would be… not so beneficial for the state in comparison.

With every new ruler, these bars reset to 0, though they are still subject to further changes.

With that being said, let us continue with the mission tree once again. With the formation of the Russian Empire, you get access to the following missions:
russian_rule.png

Note: right now they are just bars, I am currently thinking of ways of making them a bit more interactive, but I figured I should still mention them anyway.

These bars represent the different directions Russia went historically depending on what kind of ruler they had. Somebody like Catherine the Great would have a high rule while Peter III would be… not so beneficial for the state in comparison.

With every new ruler, these bars reset to 0, though they are still subject to further changes.

With that being said, let us continue with the mission tree once again. With the formation of the Russian Empire, you get access to the following missions:
imperial_russian_missions.png

Highlights here are the missions "Westernize the Military", “The Governing Senate”, and “Pass the Issues”.
As the name implies, "Westernize the Military" will update your unit type to the Western Tech group, though you need to win 40 battles (starting counting after the mission "Handle the Streltsy", reach 80 Army Tradition and 90% Army Professionalism)

Completing “The Governing Senate” gives you access to two unique government reforms - though you can only pick one of the two:
governing_senate.png

Note: Modifiers are not final.

While the Governing Senate has the classic parliament, Enforced Autocracy changes the way you can interact with your estates.
estate_button.png

seize_and_sell.png

Note: Depending on feedback, this could become a default thing for all countries at a certain government tier. At least this suggestion reached me within the office, but I am curious what you think of it.
“Pass the Issues” has a reward that synergies with the reform you have chosen prior.
pass_the_issues.png

If you complete the mission “Great Power of the East” then you will be able to unlock the very final missions of Russia during the Age of Revolutions:
revolutionary_missions.png

The highlight is +5% Administrative Efficiency and Revolutionary Zeal / Max Absolutism from the final mission.​

That was it for the mission tree part, but I am not done quite yet.

Next to the mission tree, Russia has received a bunch of new flavor events too!
flavor_rus.18.png

flavor_rus.19.png

flavor_rus.20.png

flavor_rus.21.png

flavor_rus.22.png

Note: Yes, I am aware of the missing localization in the effect section. It has been fixed after the DD has been finished.

flavor_rus.23.png
And of course, a whole event chain related to the peasantry of Russia - and its unfortunate fate.

One of your early missions as Russia will require you to enact one of the two privileges to the Nobility: “Early Serfdom” and “Increased Peasant Freedom” which would be the alt historical path for the peasantry to take.

For the sake of the dev diary, I will showcase the Serfdom path.
serfdom.png

serfdom1.png

serfdom2.png

serfdom3.png

serfdom4.png
In order to get rid of this privilege for good you need to complete the mission “Abolish the Serfdom” in the Revolutionary part of the mission tree.

That was it for today. I thank you all for your attention! Next week we will focus on Western Europe with @PDX Big Boss as we take a closer look at the content for France!

eu4_dd_russia.png

Attachments

• Muscovite Russia.png
    Muscovite Russia.png
    1,2 MB · Views: 0
  • 102Like
  • 39Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Also please implement a real system for countries to westernize. Every country in theory if they have access to Europe and institutions and have good tech, should be able to westernize. BRING BACK WESTERNIZATION!!!

• 2Haha
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
What does it mean to change your technology group but not your units? What does tech groups affect these days exactly besides your units?
I think the main impacts are that you get tech cost reductions if a country in your tech group(or a neighbor) has already researched a tech and that you discover provinces based on what your tech group(or religion) has known about for some time.
And there are a few things specific to eastern tech:
  • Liberum Veto decision which can only be used once anyway
  • +5% influence for the nobility. Losing this is probably an advantage
And western tech can trigger the event Jousting Tournament, some of the Discovery of the Far East events and some other events, but they are mostly triggered in other countries, so they are not so helpful

Edit: as pointed out by @santali , the liberum veto decision can be multiple times

Last edited:
Reactions:
Modernization looks very redundant with the current Institution mechanic, and I'm not sure what the point of Russian Rule is. If you are/do X, you get more of a certain modifier. Why? And how is this exclusive to Russian emperors?

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
The new possibility to "unite all slavic people" makes me think : Will there be, on restauring the roman empire, a unification of all latin cultures?

Nice change for Slovak culture.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Please add arrows to trade map in main menu(because it important to know direction of trade when you make a random new world).
And please think about reduce/remove -20% dev cost modifier for very hard ai because in the late game every second province has around 30-40 dev and its not fun when you can take only 4-5 provinces from war. And what about change gaining new idea group from 14/18/22/26/29 to 13/16/19/22/25 because in late game idea group is not important but this change can make early/mid game more dinamically. sorry for my english if i maked a mistakes

• 5Like
Reactions:
Privet! Welcome to this week’s Dev Diary, which is all about Russia. The last time Russia saw any big changes was with the release of “Third Rome” in 1.22 and the addition of their mission tree in 1.26. Ever since not a lot has happened there. 1.35 will change this as we are revisiting this region and updating it so it can keep up with Scandinavia, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and the Ottomans.

All numbers and art you see here are not final.

So let’s take a look at what we have for Russia!

The mission tree for Russia is split into two sections: the one you currently see is the Muscovite section, while the mission “Found the Tsardom” updates your tree with the actual Russian part. As Muscovy is the major player in this region, I have decided to focus first and foremost on their update, which is why we have this part here.

However, the Russia mission tree you get when forming Russia looks a bit different - depending on who you form Russia with.

View attachment 945205
The mission tree when you form Russia as Muscovy.

View attachment 945206
The mission tree when you form Russia as Novgorod.
Note: The mission tree is a bit outdated as your trade missions will focus on monopolizing the East and steer all the trade to Novgorod instead of competing with Western Europe.

When you form Russia as neither Muscovy nor Novgorod then you get a slightly altered Muscovite version of the tree with the top right mission being the following one:

With that out of the way, let us dive into the main protagonist of the region, which is Muscovy.

The Pre-Russian missions are all conquest-related missions for Russia. Here you get claims on the historical borders of the Russian Empire, but also very ambitious ideas for regions Imperial Russia was interested in. Regions like Ruthenia, the Baltic region, and Poland, but also regions like Scandinavia and the northern parts of Persia are included.

An interesting mission would be the early “Rally the Army” mission, as this will define what kind of Russia you want to play:
View attachment 945208
Note: the -15% Core-Creation Cost is added to offset the fact that Permanent Claims have -25% Core-Creation Cost compared to normal claims with their -10%. Due to the mass of permanent claims given away through mission trees, we are considering nerfing the Core-Creation Cost of permanent claims to -10% and removing this modifier from Russia.

As you can see, you have the option to abandon all Permanent Claims in exchange for temporary ones and a buff that allows you to fabricate new ones easier - a modifier that synergies really well with the “Claim State” diplomatic action of the Tsardom. Of course, you are not forced to do it and can still go with the permanent claims from the first option.

Another highlight would be the “Conquest of Finland” mission as it fires the following event:

Owners of Lions of the North DLC are able to get an experimental reward from the mission “Slay the Lion of the North” if they decide to release Finland as a subject country:
View attachment 945210
Note: There is a tooltip bug. What you actually get are Caroleans, not Cawa if you decide against releasing Finland.

As for the other conquest-related missions, they are quite grounded. The “Third Rome” related missions have been integrated from the old mission tree into the new one. There is one highlight to be mentioned though with the mission “Protect the South Slavs”. You can complete it by… liberating the Slavs of the Balkans from the Ottomans. As a reward you will be able to form the Slavic culture group, unifying all Slavs into one cohesive culture group:

Other missions worth mentioning are “March into the Caucasus” and “Beyond the Caspian Sea” as both missions can be completed by having an Orthodox ally in the Caucasus fulfilling the requirements.

As you might have noticed, the missions which have “Dynamic Mission Rewards” now have an indicator in the form of a red cross or a green checkmark that shows which of the rewards you will get when you complete this mission. A common issue reported from 1.34 was the lack of readability of mission rewards and triggers, and while I prefer to avoid the “grocery lists”, sometimes they are a necessary evil.

Because of that, I have decided to work out this system which can be very useful when you have such switch-case mission rewards:
View attachment 945213
This mission is the worst offender of the “grocery lists” rewards in the Russian missions.

Finally, you have of course the classical “Colonize Siberia” missions, which then expand into colonizing North America. In order to make colonizing North America actually a worthwhile endeavor, the trade flow of North America has been adjusted:
The trade from Rio Grande and Hudson Bay now flows into California, which itself can flow into the Girin Trade Node.

And before you ask for it: No, there will not be dynamic trade in EU4. Period.

Now back to Muscovy. When you start as them you will be greeted with the following event:
Historically, Muscovy was still a tributary state of the Hordes in 1444 and only stopped sending tribute to the Tatars in 1476. Instead of letting Muscovy start as a tributary state of the Great Horde, I have decided to portray their relationship in the form of this modifier instead as an actual tributary relationship has led to a lot fewer Russias in the game.

While you get the negative version of the modifier, the Sarai province gets a triggered modifier which benefits its horde owner:
View attachment 945216

While this modifier is active you have to pay an annual tribute to the owner of Sarai:
View attachment 945217

The Great Horde will receive exactly this amount of Ducats if you decide to pay.
View attachment 945218

However, if you decide to not pay the tribute then this event will fire for the Great Horde:
View attachment 945219
View attachment 945220

In order to end this relationship you must ensure that a non-horde country owns Sarai.
View attachment 945221
Once the Tatar Yoke has been broken, it cannot be restored.

While the Tatar Yoke is one early struggle, Muscovy has to face another one in form of the Muscovite Civil War, which is caused by a dispute for the throne between Vasily II - your starting ruler - and Dmitry Shemiaka, the last of Yury’s three sons and cousin of Vasily.

As it is the final phase of the Muscovite Civil War, I decided to portray it through a very small flavor event chain instead of an outright disaster:

This was for the Muscovy part of the content. Before we go into the matters of Russia, we take a look at the Novgorodian part first. As I mentioned earlier, if you form Russia as Novgorod your mission tree will be slightly altered as it does not make much sense for you to be asked to “Conquer Novgorod” while you originally started as Novgorod.

While Monarchical Russia puts a great emphasis on the idea of a “Third Rome”, Republican Russia aims for commercial dominance in Europe. As such your missions are less about conquering your way to the Balkans but instead focusing on monopolizing the trade of Eastern Europe for yourself. “Compete with the Channel” is the penultimate end to it with a neat +25 permanent Power Projection as a reward.

With that being said, let us continue with the missions of a unified Russia. While the top part is heavily focused on conquest, the lower part is about the internal affairs of Russia. Missions like “Enact the Sudebnik” and “Book of Royal Degrees” concern themselves with administrative reforms in Russia. “Handle the Boyars” and “Abolish the Mestnichestvo” are about your nobility and how you should get rid of your starting estate privilege.

Note: Right now, the privilege can be finished on day one, but this will be covered during the development.
View attachment 945225
View attachment 945226

Another part of the internal affairs is related to Vodka (which was historically a big part of Russian society and the Tsar’s way to keep his people pacified) and the peasantry, represented by the missions “The Vodka Monopoly” and “The Fate of the Peasantry” - more to the peasants of Russia later.

Finally, a mission about the Patriarchate which upgrades your “Consecrate Metropolitan” ability.
View attachment 945227

One of the more impactful missions regarding your special unit is “Recruit the Streltsy” as its reward is an event that can turn your Streltsy into a parallel version of the Janissaries:
View attachment 945228

With every new ruler, your Streltsy will demand their payment once again.
View attachment 945229
Note: should you lose your ability to recruit Streltsy in any way, shape or form then this event will no longer fire.

The final mission of the Tsardom missions of Russia is the “Great Imperial Ambitions” which can only be completed if you finish modernizing your country.

And, well, here I should address the elephant in the room. As you have seen, some rewards give something called “Modernization”. This is part of the new mechanic unique to Russia:
View attachment 945230
Note: The UI and the modifiers it gives are still very much in work in progress. As you might have noticed, there are a few issues with it like our +- Modernization gain.

Modernization is a measurement of how much your country has westernized. You gain modernization from having more than 50% Crown Land, from embracing institutions 10 years after they have been unlocked, from Innovativeness (for now, I want to move this to a new “Ahead of Time” static modifier), from Advisors which are NOT from your culture group scaling with their skill level, from your ruler’s administrative abilities and from positive relations with countries which either have researched more technologies than you OR a great power of the Western Technology group.

The “Grand Embassy” event chain (which triggers have been updated in order for it to fire more frequently) gives a huge boost to Modernization too.

However, you lose Modernization on a base level as well as from every estate privilege you give away. This is especially the case if you give the Nobles or the Cossacks privileges while the Burghers or the Clergy have a lot less negative impact on Modernization. Having obsolete buildings which are not up to your technology as well as having any kind of instability, corruption, inflation, and disaster reduces modernization.

This is especially noticeable during the Times of Trouble.

I keep myself a bit vague with the sources of Modernization and how the actual numbers will play out as this is still in development and some ideas might have to be replaced with others. The aim is to recreate the necessary feeling that your country has potential for greatness, yet is stuck with outdated traditions which hinder you to reach said greatness until you get rid of these troublemakers.

So, what do you get from handling modernization? You will be able to enact the following decision when you reach 90% Modernization, be one of the great powers and have humiliated one of your rivals.
View attachment 945231
View attachment 945232

Of course, there is a Republican version of this mechanic and event too!
View attachment 945233

Unlocking the new government reform also gives you access to the Imperial Russian missions and a cosmetic goodie:
View attachment 945234
Note: ONLY your tech group gets changed to Western, NOT your units. They get updated with a later mission.

With the new government reform, you get a new mechanic which replaces the Modernization mechanic: the Russian Rule.

View attachment 945237

Highlights here are the missions "Westernize the Military", “The Governing Senate”, and “Pass the Issues”.
As the name implies, "Westernize the Military" will update your unit type to the Western Tech group, though you need to win 40 battles (starting counting after the mission "Handle the Streltsy", reach 80 Army Tradition and 90% Army Professionalism)

Completing “The Governing Senate” gives you access to two unique government reforms - though you can only pick one of the two:
View attachment 945239
Note: Modifiers are not final.

While the Governing Senate has the classic parliament, Enforced Autocracy changes the way you can interact with your estates.
View attachment 945240
View attachment 945241
Note: Depending on feedback, this could become a default thing for all countries at a certain government tier. At least this suggestion reached me within the office, but I am curious what you think of it.
“Pass the Issues” has a reward that synergies with the reform you have chosen prior.
View attachment 945242

If you complete the mission “Great Power of the East” then you will be able to unlock the very final missions of Russia during the Age of Revolutions:
View attachment 945243
The highlight is +5% Administrative Efficiency and Revolutionary Zeal / Max Absolutism from the final mission.​

That was it for the mission tree part, but I am not done quite yet.

Next to the mission tree, Russia has received a bunch of new flavor events too!
View attachment 945244
View attachment 945245
View attachment 945246
View attachment 945247
View attachment 945248
Note: Yes, I am aware of the missing localization in the effect section. It has been fixed after the DD has been finished.

View attachment 945249
And of course, a whole event chain related to the peasantry of Russia - and its unfortunate fate.

One of your early missions as Russia will require you to enact one of the two privileges to the Nobility: “Early Serfdom” and “Increased Peasant Freedom” which would be the alt historical path for the peasantry to take.

For the sake of the dev diary, I will showcase the Serfdom path.
In order to get rid of this privilege for good you need to complete the mission “Abolish the Serfdom” in the Revolutionary part of the mission tree.

That was it for today. I thank you all for your attention! Next week we will focus on Western Europe with @PDX Big Boss as we take a closer look at the content for France!

If there are only 1 or 2 more updates before you move to EUV, please do a quality check/pass on New World tags/reforming mechanic. Inca/Inti is busted right now because there are a bunch of events/missions which add government reform progress even though they don't have government reforms until they've "westernised", and I believe these rewards are meant to be authority, the points used for Inti to reform toward not being primitive

Edit: would it also be possible to not lock Novgorod's Veche Republic at duchy rank after you went to all the effort of allowing them to also form Russia and get Tsardom buttons? Maybe just generally bump their tree up so it's comparable with all the other hyperjuiced nations around them? I can see they've been somewhat expanded and have Empire now

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:

Russia already has similar abilities - it has a core creation cost reduction in its traditions and it can fabricate claims on areas. There's no need to essentially duplicate both of those abilities for either Muscovy or Russia. If Muscovy wants them, it can form Russia. Russia already has them.

Have you considered giving Muscovy a liberty desire increase instead? It could be a mission reward after Muscovy expands by a certain amount.

Tributary relationships are basically useless for overlords once tributaries get high liberty desire and stop paying tribute, so this strikes me as either an issue of Muscovy not having enough liberty desire, or of the AI in general not realizing when tributaries are strong enough to ignore or even rebel against their overlords. You could still create a triggered event cancelling the tributary status if the owner of Sarai isn't a horde or isn't independent.

View attachment 945218
I like that you're not spawning money from nowhere.

View attachment 945221
Could you base it on the owner of Sarai's strength relative to Muscovy's? If Sarai is controlled by a horde that doesn't have at least x% of Muscovy's land force limit, then the relationship might break.

Modernization is a measurement of how much your country has westernized.
Rather than having both a special implementation of a tech group - Western tech without Western units - and a special implementation of a mechanic - Westernization as a progress bar for Russia, but Westernization via mission rewards for Ethiopia, the Ottomans, and Japan - just implement the Russian Westernization mechanic globally.

I understand you're using EU4 as a sandbox for EU5 content, but there's not much difference between giving a major power a special mechanic and giving the mechanic to every country. If it's broken it will imbalance the game either way; if it's balanced it will be a fun, consistent way for all countries to reform themselves along Western lines in the late game.

You gain modernization from having more than 50% Crown Land, from embracing institutions 10 years after they have been unlocked, from Innovativeness (for now, I want to move this to a new “Ahead of Time” static modifier), from Advisors which are NOT from your culture group scaling with their skill level, from your ruler’s administrative abilities and from positive relations with countries which either have researched more technologies than you OR a great power of the Western Technology group.

Most of these either don't make much sense or are redundant.
  • <50% crown land represents centralization (max absolutism and local autonomy reduction), not Westernization
    • Many centralizing rulers (Ivan the Terrible, for instance) were only interested in accumulating power, not in imitating the West
    • High crown land does imply the weakness of other, potentially anti-Westernizing power centers (like the nobility), but this is already represented by negative modernization progress from estate privileges
  • An "ahead of time" static modifier isn't as good as it sounds
    • Most countries will be ahead of time in tech
    • Making the modifier dynamic based on the number of years ahead of time a country would help, but the modifier would still almost always be positive
  • Western advisors might help a country Westernize (Russia hired a lot of Germans as officers and officials), but advisors outside your culture group have nothing to do with Westernization
    • Russia could hire Altaic advisors and (somehow) use them to Westernize if this were implemented
  • (Very high) positive relations with a technologically advanced country works well enough for people who don't have Rule Britannia, but for those who do Knowledge Sharing already represents this dynamic
  • Obsolete buildings don't make a lot of sense
    • Russia was an extremely underdeveloped country pretty much until the early 20th century
      • It Westernized despite this because Westernization was always concentrated in cities, first as cultural centers for the nobility and subsequently as centers of highly concentrated industrialization
    • Needing to upgrade buildings across 100+ provinces is the opposite of Russia's historical poverty and undervelopment
    • It would have the weird effect of making an advance in technology suddenly tank your modernization progress because you'd have to upgrade lots of buildings all at once

Like I said above, you should make Westernization via modernization a global mechanic. I'd do the following:
  • Make it a late game mechanic
    • Western units don't become decisively better than Eastern units until Tech 23 for cavalry and Tech 28 for infantry
    • Tech 23 stops being ahead of time in 1700
  • Unlock it after embracement of the Enlightenment and Industrialization institutions
    • Require embracement of the Enlightenment, rapidly increase modernization if Industrialization is embraced as well
    • It would get the historical timing right (non-Western nations didn't start falling behind the West until the 18th century and were most interested in emulating Western science and industry once they did fall behind)
    • It would get the game incentives right (there's no point in eventually switching to Western units until they're actually better)
  • Make institution spread slower to facilitate this
    • Fast institution spread and global near-parity in tech levels have been problems in EU4 for a long time
    • Disparities in tech levels could make an "ahead of time" static modifier a more meaningful measure of how advanced a country is
  • Innovativeness would be a good measure of how advanced a country is if it wasn't so easy to accumulate it
    • Reduce (or even eliminate) innovativenss gain from being the first to take a tech or idea
    • Make a greater proportion of innovativeness come from being ahead of time in tech

View attachment 945234
This would be pointless except that it isn't entirely cosmetic. It will interfere with the start conditions for the Siamese Revolution disaster:

Code:
can_start = {
        any_known_country = {
            OR = {
                alliance_with = ROOT
                has_opinion = {
                    who = ROOT
                    value = 100
                }
            }
            technology_group = western # this is primarily to exclude Russia

View attachment 945237

This is like decadence in that it's mostly redundant with existing mechanics, and like both modernization and decadence in that it shouldn't be unique to one country.

Decadence is just an extra set of penalties for nations that haven't managed their finances, stability or governing capacity well. Decadence would be better if it represented a tradeoff for doing things that big, powerful countries want to do (like having high absolutism).

Russian Rule mostly duplicates absolutism. You almost always want to increase absolutism and get good rulers, and both are thematically linked to the historical concept of absolutist rule - centralizing power in the hands of a competent monarch. Both lower core creation cost, and you increase one by using harsh treatment while the other makes harsh treatment cheaper.

Russian Rule could instead be developed into a representation of who wields centralized power: the monarch, the advisors, a parliament, the states general, factions, estates like the Janissaries or Eunuchs? I'd rather see monarchs with short reigns penalized with stablity and harsh treatment cost increases and improve relations reductions, which would slowly decrease as a monarch's reign went on. New monarchs wouldn't be much better than regents and would have to handle estate relations and diplomacy more conservatively. (See the Stuart dynasty for examples of what happened when new or weak monarchs tried to seize absolute power too aggressively.)

A stability cost reduction would be better than a development cost reduction.

Targeted seizure/sale of land might be balanced if you impose extremely harsh loyalty penalties with whichever estate is targeted with land seizure; increase the strength of estate rebels generally; and disallow targeted seizure of land from estates with privileges that exempt them from land seizure.

Otherwise it's a relatively painless way to circumvent the existing estate mechanics - you could quickly reduce the power of a single estate at the cost of a few weak stacks of rebels - and a too-easy way to empower a favorite estate without regard for the other estates' influence levels. There's not much point to simulating estate influence levels if the main currency of estates (crownland) is decoupled from them.

This ability would also be more balanced if you increased the size of spawned rebels from low estate loyalty.

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions:
Really interesting dev diary - I play muscovy a lot so I was a bit nervous that it would be over-buffed to balance the PLC/Sweden/Ottos but that doesn't seem to be the case. Modernisation seems to be a really good challenge to face as a player ... but the ultimate goal of 'westernising' your units seems a bit I dunno patronising?. Russia did do a lot of western-facing modernisation in the period, but the historical determinisim of 'trying to be western' is a part of why that mechanic was removed. If you're playing a Russia as the no. 1 world power with full innovativeness and ahead in tech of your western peers - the mechanic doesn't really make sense (same problem westernisation had).

The idea of modernisation itself isn't bad though - it's just that in the period all countries had to modernise, historically, western europe pulled it off faster in practice. So you could have it available to all countries - and have the goal as being a modernised military rather than a western military (you just make the standard western pips more in line with the rest of the world and the 'modern' pips to match the current western ones). Then you just give europe some reasons to modernise faster to match history in the default playthrough.

On the tributary setup - I guess I'm curious if you could give some more info on why a regular tributary fails - is that maybe related to the problem of subject countries avoiding declaring independence wars? I'm wondering if there's an underlying issue that's being covered by a special mechanic? Also wondering how the other russian minors are affected - does everyone get the decision independently or is it only Muscovy that's a tributary? or maybe does Muscovy act as the Golden Horde's tax collector from them?

On the russian rule bars - I think these could be fleshed out a bit more - first up if they reset to zero on monarch death then they are just a bonus for high MP long-lived monarchs which is something everyone wants already anyway. I get the idea that for russia 'the good rulers should be extra good and the bad rulers be extra bad' but I think in practice it will just make you want to disinherit bad monarchs faster. Maybe have only half progress be lost and when a new ruler takes over you can have an event which offers them the choice to 'break with tradition' - in which case much of the progress is lost, but they gain faster or 'stick to tradition' in which case much progress is kept, but new gains are now much slower. This introduces a little bit more player agency in the mix.

Others have mentioned how it seems that this DLC will invalidate the third rome and mandate of heaven DLCs etc. - e.g. I guess there won't be much motivation for people to buy them after it's released - how are you planning to integrate all possible combinations of DLC ownership (it kind of seems like a nightmare to organise with so many intertwining features)?

Really love the new historical events too - as dumb as it is, I learn a lot of history from these, it's a bit part of why I like the game so much :)

edit: posted before seeing PtY's post above - their section on 'westernisation' is great - defo would be nice to have something more along those lines.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I really like the modernization concept and payoff, but I do feel like its appealing to the ironic anachronism that traditional warfare is objectively inferior to modern arms, such as for instance the Samurai from the previous DD by portraying it like a objective, rather than something like a karmic/sunni mysticism/ or even a stability bar in stages for how much uptake your nation has of it.

It would be nice to see modernization help and hinder special units and national focus than move them up to 'better' tech groups, better organized streltzy/carolean variants antagonising or even replacing cawa/banner/samurai/hussar infantry.

Edit: on second revision and reading some other posts claiming this is westernization/asking for westernization back, wasn't it originally removed for discriminating that western was the be-all end all multiplayer lategame tech tree group, when other nations like Aksum get it via MT "ahistorically" with no westernization struggle via Origins.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Modernization looks very redundant with the current Institution mechanic, and I'm not sure what the point of Russian Rule is. If you are/do X, you get more of a certain modifier. Why? And how is this exclusive to Russian emperors?
Correct.

Simply making a review chart of how great your past ruler is until their fame dwindles, is just a super-abstraction of Totemism for ruler accomplishments. (not saying its terrible, but you could port this up to SPQR or any emperor rank with maybe just a loc change)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I feel like just as the polish and lithuanians have an estate privelege modifier that makes the AI not convert those provinces, the russians should get something like that aswell. Historically Russia did not convert many of the tatars and the turks in it's borders, nor many of the caucasians so I feel it's justified that they should get an estate privelege too that lets you have something like guaranteed dhimmi authoroty or the catholic-orthodox one for poland, but for muslim provinces instead. Even today, around 15% of Russia's population is muslim and that's after 500 years of assimilation, so I feel like it'd be historically justified. Good work though!
While I agree for the most part when it comes to more densely populated areas like Kazan or Bashkortostan, there should be some implementations of the spread of the Cossacks and Russian culture into the Pontic steppe since these regions were very sparsely populated and are, quite obviously, not Tatar or Muslim anymore. that 15% is really only specific Republics and Oblasts. These lands generally seem to get converted in regards to religion, but never become Russian in my games, which just is poor mechanical sense. Perhaps some specific event chains with a completed mission click that can either grant autonomy, or a more aggressive stance on areas like Volga Bulgaria and Dagestan.

• 1Like
Reactions: