• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 6th of November 2018

It's Tuesday, and that means it's time for another EU4 dev diary. This week and next I’m going to be showing off some of the new mission trees, events, and national ideas coming in the 1.28 ‘Spain’ update and the accompanying Immersion Pack.

NB: Most mission icons are currently using placeholder art

Let’s start with the star of the show, Spain itself:

spanish missions.png

The Spanish mission tree is available to nations beside Aragon that form Spain, while Castile immediately has access to a reduced version of the tree prior to forming Spain.

For the most part these missions follow Spain’s historical expansion overseas; from the Pillars of Hercules to California and the Philippines, the Spanish Empire was one of the largest the world has ever seen. Driven by the quest for gold and silver, Conquistadors such as Cortez and Pizarro will join your service to lead the conquests of Mexico and Peru. You’ll also be encouraged to spread the word of God in the New World by establishing Holy Orders in your colonies.

Spain will also have opportunities to expand in Europe. If the Iberian Wedding or Burgundian Succession don’t work out for you, permanent claims on Naples and Wallonia will help you seize your rightful inheritance through conquest. With a foothold in the Netherlands, Spain can then pursue powerful Personal Unions with both England (depending on their religious choices) and Austria, with the ultimate goal of establishing a Universal Monarchy.

We’ve also split up the National Idea sets for Castile and Spain, as we did for England and Great Britain in Rule Britannia:

Spanish national ideas:
Code:
SPA_ideas = {
    start = {
        land_morale = 0.15
        global_colonial_growth = 25
    }

bonus = {
        discipline = 0.05
    }

trigger = {
        tag = SPA
    }
    free = yes        #will be added at load.

devout_catholisism = {
        papal_influence = 2
    }
    inter_caetera = {
        idea_claim_colonies = yes
        colonists = 1
    }
    gold_fleet = {
        global_tariffs = 0.15
        global_prov_trade_power_modifier = 0.1
    }
    spanish_armada = {
        heavy_ship_cost = -0.1
        leader_naval_manuever = 1
    }
    spa_casa_de_contracion = {
        envoy_travel_time = -0.33
    }
    spa_cortes = {
        free_adm_policy = 1
    }
    siglo_de_oro = {
        prestige = 1
    }
}

spa_casa_de_contracion:0 "Casa de Contratación"
 spa_casa_de_contracion_desc:0 "We must extend the reach of the House of Trade of the Indies. Our colonial agents must have a presence in every part of the world to ensure the smooth functioning of our empire."
 spa_cortes:0 "Rein in the Cortes"
 spa_cortes_desc:0 "Each constitutent Kingdom in the Spanish realm has its own corte, an assembly of the most powerful elements of society in the region. There is often tension between the Crown and the Cortes over such issues as taxation and regional autonomy. We must rein in these institutions so that they primarily serve the Crown rather than their own interests."

Castilian National ideas:
Code:
CAS_ideas = {
    start = {
        land_morale = 0.15
        missionaries = 1
    }
    bonus = {
        artillery_fire = 1
    }
    trigger = {
        tag = CAS
    }
    free = yes        #will be added at load.
    the_reconquista = {
        army_tradition_decay = -0.01
    }
    spanish_inquisition = {
        global_missionary_strength = 0.02
    }
    cabildos = {
        production_efficiency = 0.1
    }
    inter_caetera = {
        idea_claim_colonies = yes
        colonists = 1
    }
    infantas = {
        diplomatic_reputation = 1
        heir_chance = 0.33
    }
    salamanca_scholars = {
        global_institution_spread = 0.1
    }
    nueva_planta = {
        yearly_absolutism = 0.1
    }
}

cabildos:0 "Cabildos"
 cabildos_desc:0 "Representing the interests of the cities, the 'Caboldio' councils have a wide variety of functions and duties. They are responsible for both advocating the interests of the city to the Crown and for many aspects of local governance. We must continue to establish Cabildos in newly-founded or newly-conquered cities, particularly in the New World where the need for Castilian institutions is felt most severely."
 infantas:0 "Infantas"
 infantas_desc:0 "The Princes and Princesses of the Crown are among our most valuable assets. They can be sent as royal envoys, married off to secure alliances, or appointed as regents when the need arises. It is important that we ensure that our monarch's loins continue to bear fruit."
 salamanca_scholars:0 "School of Salamanca"
 salamanca_scholars_desc:0 "Based in the University of Salamanca, the School's interests lie in fields as diverse as theology, economics, and political philosophy. As one of the leading schools of thought in the Catholic world, its entrenched presence in Castile ensures that our nation is always at the forefront of intellectual affairs."
 nueva_planta:0 "Nueva Planta"
 nueva_planta_desc:0 "It is time to assert true royal authority in the realm; under a single set of laws and a common language, a renewed and centralized Castile will directly appoint officials and enshrine the absolute rule of the monarch."

aragon missions.png

Aragon has an entirely different focus, with a distinct Mare Nostrum theme. An Aragonese player will be encouraged to dominate the Mediterranean both militarily and economically. This mission tree will take Aragon into southern France, Italy, the Maghreb, Egypt, Anatolia, and Greece.

Aragon also has access to several purely economic missions. By establishing trade dominance in the Genoa node and developing the city, Valencia will gain access to the rare Silk trade good as well as a sizable bonus to production of this luxury resource. Completing Aragon’s economic missions will reward the player with the versatile ‘Golden Century’ modifier, giving a 1% reduction to all monarch power costs for 100 years.

portugal missions.png

Portugal’s mission tree is larger than any other in the game besides Great Britain with Rule Britannia. Like the Spanish mission tree, it is largely concerned with the recreation of Portugal’s historical overseas empire, particularly in Brazil and Asia. Missions have been added for the conquests of Malacca, Oman, Ceylon, and other ports in the East. When Portugal has discovered the Far East they will have the opportunity to negotiate for the purchase of two historically important ports: Macau and Nagasaki. In Brazil the Portuguese player can lead the Bandeirantes in the search for gold in Minas Gerais and acquire an increased chance to discover Gold as a trade good in all of their new colonies.

brz.jpg

The times were not always kind to Portugal. In 1807, in the midst of the Napoleonic Wars, the situation became so dire that the Portuguese court abandoned Lisbon, fled to Brazil, and made Rio the new seat of government. This will be represented in the game as a decision available to Portugal should they find themselves in dire straits. Your tag will change to Brazil, and Portugal will be released as a junior partner controlling your remaining European provinces. Note that by doing this you will lose access to Portuguese missions.

Not shown but will be in the final version: taking the decision will also change your primary culture to Brazilian.

Navarra missions.jpg

Finally we have Navarra. Navarra’s mission tree will be entirely free for anyone playing on the 1.28 ‘Spain’ patch. As you might expect, this mission tree takes the player down a very different path than history intended. Navarra must reclaim its unjustly stolen coastline, and from there pursue an invasion of France that can culminate in a Personal Union. With access to the sea, the New World beckons. In homage to the time-honoured strategy of migrating to the Americas to escape the cutthroat politics of Europe, Navarra will have the opportunity to move their capital to Terranova if they so choose.

Some of you may have noticed that Navarra’s starting monarch is also Aragon’s designated heir in 1444. A new event chain will bring Navarra under a Personal Union with Aragon if Navarra remains independent upon the death of King Afonso. If Navarra is being controlled by a player, they can of course choose to accept this union. But a truly ambitious player can instead reject the union and instantly gain a Restoration CB on Aragon.

nav_event.jpg

That’s all for today! Next week I’ll be back with more mission trees and national ideas with a focus on North Africa.

Last edited:
Well, you once proposed giving Portugal missions to take Galicia and other regions of Spain (and the Lusitanian empire missions might be something similar). Why should that be a mission and not the "Normal system" of claims?

Because I never agreed with it being a PU. I always supported having to put in the work to fulfill the projects. Even in regards to Galicia I obviously meant to force Portugal to have to work to take it

You guys on the other seem to think that even in a situation where Spain might have -100 prestige, lost half its territory and been driven into bankrupcy, it should still have a free PU grant on a country it never inherited peacefully.

The Portugal Spain union wasn't like the Castille Aragon union. :|

Reactions:
Because I never agreed with it being a PU. I always supported having to put in the work to fulfill the projects. Even in regards to Galicia I obviously meant to force Portugal to have to work to take it

You guys on the other seem to think that even in a situation where Spain might have -100 prestige, lost half its territory and been driven into bankrupcy, it should still have a free PU grant on a country it never inherited peacefully.

The Portugal Spain union wasn't like the Castille Aragon union. :|

It's a casus belli (as in real life by the way). It isn't the Iberian Wedding or any other free PU, it is not peaceful. You have to fight for it and deal with all its consequences: liberty desire, coalitions...

It should also have some pre requirements: royal marriage, stability...

It's a casus belli (as in real life by the way). It isn't the Iberian Wedding or any other free PU, it is not peaceful. You have to fight for it and deal with all its consequences: liberty desire, coalitions...

It should also have some pre requirements: royal marriage, stability...

Getting a free casus belli isn't fighting for it, as Personal Unions go. Putting in the work required by the classical system is.

And BTW, none of this still had anything to do with Portugal's colonisation.

Reactions:
Getting a free casus belli isn't fighting for it, as Personal Unions go. Putting in the work required by the classical system is.

And BTW, none of this still had anything to do with Portugal's colonisation.

Yeah it has nothing to do with colonization, it's another topic.
Edit, if you read the last sentence, ignore it. I was a bit clueless

Yeah it has nothing to do with colonization, it's another topic. However, if there should no mission for this, then there should be no missions at all, isn't? What are they for then?

They're for rewarding you for putting in the work towards projects, not for steering the AI into what you want while you're playing other nations.

The game already gives PU CBs for nations that had to work a lot harder to get onto the throne of a nation (Lithuania -> Muscovy, Spain -> England, England -> France). Obviously, the CB should require prerequisites and not be at the top of a mission tree, but it makes no less sense than a rump Ottomans having claims over the levant or a rump Hungary's claims over the balkans.

It also makes a lot more sense than just giving Spain / Castille claims over Portugal, which is the alternative.

I agree that a PU mission between Portugal and Spain would be too much railroad. However, already exist an event to create a PU between them, its called "The Portuguese Crown" and Spain must have a RM with Portugal, opinion above +150 and between 1550 and 1650. This would be enought for me, the problem here is the MTTH of 2000 months where Portugal must be in regency... this is impossibile!

I also agree that the colonization system must be review. Also, the discovery age bonus is weird... to fulfill any of the objectives and obtain 800 splendor takes some time, and then the age changes. Portuguese colonization really started after 1530, by this time the reform already happened and the age changed to the reformation

More paid mission trees
Why do i feel like my fears on EU4 reaching HOI$ DLC levels are getting justified. For flavor this has been one of the more criticized aspects of the Immersion packs as some coming down to "adding 3 government buttons" or fixing what's broken by an expansion (Third Rome and Mandate of Heaven). I just hope I'm wrong but I'm noticing slow a decrease in content in favor of mission trees.

Trying to keep a respectful tone rather then coming over a raging ranting idiot
Here's to hoping I'm dead wrong, cheers lads

But it was fairly peaceful.
Phillip II had support from nobles, clergy and cortes and only had to fight a weak army that was defeated in 40 days.

No it wasn't. The fighting prolonged to the point it spread to the Azorean Islands and even called on English aid. And resistence and support for alternative claims continued for years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Portuguese_Succession

The cause for Prior do Crato continued till at least 1583.

Reactions:
I agree that a PU mission between Portugal and Spain would be too much railroad. However, already exist an event to create a PU between them, its called "The Portuguese Crown" and Spain must have a RM with Portugal, opinion above +150 and between 1550 and 1650. This would be enought for me, the problem here is the MTTH of 2000 months where Portugal must be in regency... this is impossibile!

I also agree that the colonization system must be review. Also, the discovery age bonus is weird... to fulfill any of the objectives and obtain 800 splendor takes some time, and then the age changes. Portuguese colonization really started after 1530, by this time the reform already happened and the age changed to the reformation
I disagree when something important happening in your game comes don to luck then that's bad game design. And they already get claims a PU CB is much more flavourful than boring permanent claims.

But it was fairly peaceful.
Phillip II had support from nobles, clergy and cortes and only had to fight a weak army that was defeated in 40 days.
Well there's always a chance of getting a PU the normal way.

No it wasn't. The fighting prolonged to the point it spread to the Azorean Islands and even called on English aid. And resistence and support for alternative claims continued for years.

Wrong. The ember of the support to D. Antonio lasted till 1589. An english army (10.000).disembarked to join armed portuguese supporters of D. Antonio that year and with his defeat ended eventually his claim.

Note: Wiki is, sometimes, not a very reliable source. (Not to mention battles with different casualties and losses depending of which country/language you read)

Reactions:
Wrong. The ember of the support to D. Antonio lasted till 1589. An english army (10.000).disembarked to join armed portuguese supporters of D. Antonio that year and with his defeat ended eventually his claim.

Note: Wiki is, sometimes, not a very reliable source. (Not to mention battles with different casualties and losses depending of which country/language you read)
But that's not Wikipedia's fault, the problem is many sources contradict each other.
The articles I've seen from my field (Physics) tend to be very accurate and the sources used are very good (Nasa articles, Paper from important science magazines...). I know History when it comes to sources is more complicated than Physics, but I still think Wikipedia ir more reliable than most other sources you can consult. If you knew the amount of falsities I've found in School textbooks and even in encyclopedias. At least in Wikipedia you can change it if you provide a reliable source.

I don't understand why are we discussing this. PU casus belli makes much more sense than permanent claims in Portugal.

Spain always wanted the throne of Portugal, not annexing the half of Portugal to Castile or anything like that. The Iberian Union was a Personal Union, not an annexation.

I think the mission should give a PU casus belli and then an event could happen 50 years later just before Spain can integrate the PU. This event could be an independence war (with English help), a disaster, rebel stacks... something powerful.

Reactions:

Phillip was crowded already in 1581, again with full support from nobles, Cortes and clergy.
At that point Antonio was just an exiled rebel, whose legend said "He will return one day", and that legend lasted for centuries.
Is not the war that lasted beyond 1580 but rather the rebel support,

Last edited:
Reactions:
I don't understand why are we discussing this. PU casus belli makes much more sense than permanent claims in Portugal.

Spain always wanted the throne of Portugal, not annexing the half of Portugal to Castile or anything like that. The Iberian Union was a Personal Union, not an annexation.

I think the mission should give a PU casus belli and then an event could happen 50 years later just before Spain can integrate the PU. This event could be an independence war (with English help), a disaster, rebel stacks... something powerful.

We are discussing it cause Dungeon for some reason thinks it will reduce Portugal's colonisation speed. If anything it sped it up cause it removed Tordesilhas' restrictions in Brazil.

And I think you should have to get the PU through the normal way, and not through a free grant casus belli or anything. I dont think its a preposterous idea and its way more faithful to what happened.

And obviously when I say I would prefer PCs it's in a situation where none of you guys listen to me and I'm forced to accept either one or the other : |

Besides PU grants by the game are super OP gifts. They *should* be discussed, not used as excuse to justify each other like its been done so far in this discussion.

And Portugal never build up voluntarily towards that result. To claim in any way its something that happened in such a happy-go-lucky manner sounds really condescending, as if the Portuguese didn't care about independence.... especially from Spain.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Phillip was crowded already in 1581, again with full support from nobles, Cortes and clergy.
At that point Antonio was just an exiled rebel, whose legend said "He will return one day", and that legend lasted for centuries.
Is not the war that lasted beyond 1580 but rather the rebel support,

Thats Sebastianism :| it wasn't about Prior do Crato

Reactions: