• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 30th of April 2019

Good day and welcome to this week's EU4 Dev Diary. Last week we briefly covered Custom Nation desires. Let's go through some of the feedback on it here:

Some nations' national ideas have two ideas in one slot, what's your opinion on adding that to nation designer?

I'm a tad unsatisfied with NI sets with repeating bonuses, and it's generally something you see on older NIs. I'd rather do away with them, but for Custom Nations, we already give the player the ability to turn up ideas to a high degree at extra cost. I'm not convinced that we want to add repeating ideas, even at additional cost.

Please more colours for flags and country on the map! Also let CN import a mission three from a tag, at a cost in ponts.

Another idea: how about giving custom nations access to custom national mission trees? I guess letting you actually design a mission tree sounds like a work for a medium-sized expansion itself.

Expanding the CN feature to allow for custom or imported mission trees would likely balloon in work required quickly. I feel you on the colours issue though.

In-game options when devs?

I will keep asking this as part of my duty to get it through to devs that us players desperately want this so we can customize our playthroughs.

If you mean Game Options akin to CK2, then I'm going to have to disappoint you, as that is not in our plans.

It baffles me how France has such a high playrate. Dosen't it get boring starting so strong?

Also Ming, which literally defeats the purpose of playing.

Relatability is a hell of a drug.

English monarchy and steppe horde are broken with custom nations in random nations settings. The reason is in the government reform file the reform is set to appear if the country already has the reform when it should be set to appear if it has ever had the reform.

Interesting, thanks for the heads up, I'll look into these issues.

Please, for the love of all that is holy, add the converter religions into the nation designer. I am perfectly happy for them to ONLY be available to custom nations if you don't feel like they are fleshed out enough to add them as actual religions via the existing heretic rebels

We'll look into this, I think it'd be a cool touch.

Custom portraits for rulers would add immersion

I just want Ruler/General/Admiral/Explorer/Conquistador portraits and more personalities for these characters. Please. Pretty please.

EU4 is a nation focused game, rather than a character focused one, so we're not big on such things. Advisors, as instruments of state, are about the only people given faces. While you'll see rulers (and all sorts of other characters) in portraits in CK2 and Imperator, they are not going to make an appearance in EU4.

I'd really like to see the culture mapmode on the start screen to help make the custom nations.

Culture map-painting is the patrician level of expansion, so I agree.

More custom nation achievements please. I wouldn't hate the addition of some random world achievements either. Ideas guy is one of the best achievements out there because there are so many different paths you can choose for doing it.

Spot on. Ideas Guy is one of the most inspiring Achievements and more are desired.

Serbian Flavour pack? Missions related to the reconquest of lands held by Tsar Stefan Dusan and expansion in the balkans, Serbia was an important regional power in the area and theyre a bit underrepresented *crie

The focus of the Expansion is from Brest to Byzantium, which encapsulates Serbia. Their time in the flavour limelight is now.

Hey EU IV devs do you planing any changes in ruler/Royal Families/PU system in upcoming European expansion?

In a concise but disappointing response, we do not have this planned for the upcoming expansion/

So what do we have today? A bit of a smorgasbord as it happens. First of all, back in January we talked a bit about 4K support / scalable UI for EU4. It's currently not the prettiest of games when played on a 4K screen, and we've been investigating it lately.

Here is the EU4 experience on a 4K monitor at 100% UI scale:

100%.jpg

and up to 150%:

150%.jpg

and now for 175%:

175%.jpg

We have some kinks to iron out, but we're onto a winner here for making EU4 more timeless for the every growing % of players who have upgraded beyond the traditional batting grounds of 1080p

I want to talk about a couple other aspirations we have for the upcoming European expansion. In the giant end of year dev diary, there were a couple things that we said we wanted to address, namely:

• The HRE system, which is largely unchanged from EU3 needs to evolve
  • Make Catholicism and the Pope feel like a force to be reckoned with, rather than just another colour of Christianity and country
Let's take the HRE first. The Holy Roman Empire has not really been needing change, leading to it's relative state of persistence for so long. It functions well as an entity for keeping such a historically fractured region jumbled and offers an interesting challenge on expansion with varied approaches on dealing with it, so for all intents and purposes it has a job and it does it without huge complaint.

The caveat here however is that this has been a satisfactory situation for a while, but as we have enriched much of the world around it, the HRE has become less interesting in comparison. When we wrote up pillars for what we want to do in the upcoming expansion and update, we came up with the following:

Revitalize the play in the HRE that hasn’t changed much. Make the empire feel alive filled with bickering princes.

Does it feel this way right now? Not to the point that we are currently satisfied with. As a member state, becoming Emperor is a cool aspiration, but as Emperor, aside from some cool strengths you get, it doesn't feel like you have much in the way of interesting choices to make to run the Empire as you envision. Granted in such a decentralized mass, not all should be so keen to follow your law, but we want to open up the Holy Roman experience to allow for more meaningful and dynamic situations. The Emperor should have some sway in the Burgundian Situation. A powerful Pope should lead to meaningful conflict between Empire and Italy beyond the Shadow Kingdom event. The formation and consolidation of the powerful Prussian state should be a matter of concern for the Emperor and Princes. What if Switzerland wish to abandon the HRE?

These are the occurrences that we aspire to model as dynamically as we can within the HRE, and are dabbling with good ways to simulate this in the game.

Another evident issue with HRE play, one that can be seen by playing as Emperor or talking to anyone who has, is that the final reform feels like a trap. An army of HRE subjects to unleash on your foes and carve up the map as you see fit? Now that's an enjoyable reward for reigning in the Empire, however smashing that final reform, absorbing the entire empire and losing all the effects you've built up, considerably less so. While we don't have the exact details, we see this as something that should be split: where there is a clear path for reform in the HRE, either towards decentralized power or all land under one ruler, so that players don't feel the need to purposefully hold back on completing the HRE reform path.

Regarding Catholicism, both the religion and the head of the faith are in need of attention, and the attention is two-fold, both gameplay and flavour.

In terms of gameplay, Catholicism is widely considered a poor choice of religion. If you are not the Curia Controller, it is a very weak religion, and if you are the Curia Controller, then it's a strange state where you actually want there to be as few other Catholics as possible so that you can hoard this power for yourself. Add to this the fact that the Pope himself is, by and large, just treated as another country, and not the mighty head of a faith that he deserves to be (as I have been masterfully lectured by @Duplo )

When it comes to flavour, Catholicism has far been left in the lurch in terms of interesting content when compared to pretty much all other forms of Christianity.

Catholicism is one of the main focuses, fittingly for this European expansion and update. In a nutshell we want to empower Catholicism against the already tantalizing Protestantism, such that union between the Catholic faith adds to its strength, where the Pope and/or Curia Controller himself can take action in favour of the entire faith (or potentially lining their own filthy pockets) and take action in response to the growing threat posed by the reformation. Currently, Reform Desire does little outside of igniting the reformation, we would like to make the mechanic more engaging for Pope and Catholics alike, such that they are incentivized to combat or grant concessions against the rift.

These are our aspirations at least, with regards to HRE and Catholicism. How do you feel about them in the game currently and what would you most like to see?

Now, we've been talking about design, quality of life and content aspirations for a few months now, which has been very much our goal and quite fun from our end, but I think we all are keen to get to some content. This will be our last week of such aspiration dev diaries: from next week onwards, we'll start showing off map work, content work and features/fixes/QoL for our upcoming European Update and Expansion.

Let's tease as I so often like to do, with a cheeky preview screenshot for next week:

teaser.png

Last edited:
These are our aspirations at least, with regards to HRE and Catholicism. How do you feel about them in the game currently and what would you most like to see?

I'm excited about the request for feedback so I'll participate, as someone with ~7000 hours who admittedly plays in Europe 2/3 of the time. While Catholicism / HRE definitely need a revamp it's important to identify the real problems first and your post concerns me in that regard. For starters:
"In terms of gameplay, Catholicism is widely considered a poor choice of religion. If you are not the Curia Controller, it is a very weak religion,"
This is not true. Every religion tier list ever made has it above average. It is the strongest religion diplomatically in the game, allowing you the greatest choice of 4-5 major allies (France, Spain, Austria, England, PLC). Sunni has 1-2, Orthodox has 1, Confucian has 1, and the rest have 0. It also has the Treaty of Tordesillas which was important, at least before the New World got nerfed into the ground, which should be undone.
True, some min/maxers talk about switching out of Catholic routinely but that is because you overbuffed Orthodox, not because Catholicism is weak. The primary reason it seems like a better idea to swap to Protestantism instead of Catholic right now is that the AI no longer converts, making the Protestant reformation seem like an unstoppable wave.

The weakness in Catholicism comes from the election mechanic. In vanilla it was too easy to game the election and lock down the papacy. Now there's the opposite problem, where you have virtually no control over the election (besides the first couple elections in the game) because the papacy power for increasing your election chance skyrockets quickly. Most people will make the initial 5 investment automatically after every new pope and then forget about it. Sometimes you might click for 10 power. That's about it, unless as you suggested you purge the world of other Catholics. Further, the primary reward for being the Pope are all those bonus modifiers, notably the AE, not the papal actions themselves, both of which are extremely weak and obsolete halfway through the game. Excommunication has a very limited set of targets, some of which will already get excommunicated if you're not the ruler, and they often tend to be republics which shed those excommunications quickly. And all excommunications mean to the player is a CB with reduced AE, not as like some diplomatic bomb you're dropping on your enemies. Crusades have never acted like crusades and instead are just a boon for you to grab if you were already going to war with a heathen.

The biggest problem with the HRE is that it is both overpowered and has a very stale basic strategy that everyone figures out after a couple tries. If you're a prince, any prince, you ally Austria (emperor) at all costs. It's trivial to me that unless you literally start as their rival, this is the basic game plan for everyone just to be able to expand normally. What's worse is the challenge in allying Austria is their limited number of diplomatic relations, not actually getting them to like you. If you don't start off with the ability to quickly RM you will probably get locked out of this, and then constantly have to check on Austria and see if you can find any window where they lose a relation.

The other issue is that being Emperor is the dominant strategy to the point of repetitive boredom. Any Catholic, or with interference any Christian monarch, has an incentive to ally/RM ~3 electors and wait for the Austrian king to die with low IA. It can be especially easy to snipe this in the middle of the Protestant reformation. Once you get it, it's pretty easy to hold onto, gives you major buffs immediately, lets you expand into the HRE, and has the amazing endgame finisher of vassal swarm. And while I say endgame finisher, a lot of people have gotten quite good at making this more of a midgame finisher.

It hurts a strategy game when there is such a dominant strategy like this present, and it was the very first handicap I had to place on myself to prevent every game taking a similar overpowered path to victory.

What needs love the most is the Reformed religion, which has weaker options than Protestant or Catholicism and is also shut out of the religious wars. Reformed & Anglican really should be grouped closer with Protestant. Theocracies also are a great area to target, as these are the most boring countries to play, and they should see the most love in an update focusing on the HRE and Catholicism. I've been short on specific ideas, but perhaps extending the excommunication CB to all Theocracies and not just neighbors would be a start and give these small nations unique expansion opportunities for the player.

scalable UI for EU4. [...] It's currently not the prettiest of games when played on a 4K screen, and we've been investigating it lately.

Oh yes! O was so happy to see a UI scaling tool in Imperator. But I would like to argue that this is not only for people using 4k screens. I for one have always had problems with the EU4 UI being too small to read. For years now, I have played the game in 1600x900 fullscreen in order to stretch the UI into a readable state

To add to this: Having low legitimacy should cause a huge amount of unrest.
and PUs which they've said they won't change should be much more fragile, at least early on. honestly the centralization of realms in Europe isn't at all represented in this game despite it being a major process of the time period, with central bureaucracy being created, nor is there really representation of more decentralized realms like Spain, they're all the same and you get none of the problems that sparked these processes, such as the fragility of a monarch's rule over the parts of his territories.

as the Habsburgs you don't see any difference between the Erbländer and Tyrol, or Hungary, or Bohemia, it's all just land, especially after you "annex" PU partners. it's a little absurd

Hello,
I am not often on the forums, but the news of 4k support is AMAZING.
My question to the developers is, must we wait until the end of year patch for 4k? Or can that be released as a small update to the game? I don't know if having the 4k support be "glued" to game-play changes makes complete sense, but nevertheless you guys understand the development of the game much better than I.
Thank you for your immense support EU4.

Eager for more news,
Kev

As a note, ever since 1.26 and the centre of trade change happened, trade, development and economy have changed significantly but the AI hasn’t adapted to make up for it. The AI will never upgrade a centre of trade, even when it’s wholly beneficial for them to do so such as having grabbed expansion ideas or sitting on 3k+ ducats, a key example being Portugal / England ignoring their extremely powerful province of Porto and Lisbon / London while having filled out exploration and expansion and Ottomans sitting on a level 1 CoT Constantinople which is... not only ahistorical, but also detrimental to the AI’s gameplay, and makes the AI painfully easy to dominate trade over (which some players may like, I suppose...). Rather than leaving it to events, such as Neva, I believe the AI should have a small update on its algorithm to determine when upgrading a centre of trade will yield them the most money / return based on current trade circumstances.

It really shouldn’t be that difficult, at least to have the AI prioritize getting their centre of trades to level 2 due to how cheap and affordable it is, and of course paradox has proven that they are capable of making competent AI, what with one of the recent AI updates changing AI build prioritization to focus on income. Of course, AI should, like humans do, prioritize upgrading farmland / Estuary CoTs in the node they collect from first and foremost.

I am very intrigued by this Christian update, and think that there can be a lot of different events, choices for Christianity. For EG.: Reforming Catholicism, Uniting Christianity against one enemy (meaningful crusade), and interactions as the pope with all the "heresies" . Also the HRE can hold a lot of potential in it, especially if you're aiming not to unite it, or evolve it

As someone who absolutely loves playing with, inside, and around the HRE, I'd gladly give my two cents on what I'd like to see in the Expansion.

For one, I'd love to see the reforms change. As you've already hinted yourself, they feel a bit stunted and the last reform especially is completely useless and a downgrade. I suggest splitting them between two paths, where one aims for decentralized reform with the end result being a vassal swarm, and the other being more centralized power for the Emperor and eventual Unification, both of these paths with corresponding bonuses.

Something else I'd like is to see the Imperial Diet (Reichstag) introduced, which could be used in plentiful of ways. Improving relations, smearing reputations of rivals, justification of wars (for lower AE) etc. The Diet was a big thing historically, so I hope that you can find a way to bring it into the game.

My last remark is rather special, but I've noticed that there's not much of a "middle ground" with being the Emperor in the HRE currently. What I mean is that, after 1500 and after the Reformation has started, you either commit your entire game to defeating the Reformation or don't worry at all and just let it run wild. Because as few as 5 heretic Princes will bring your Imperial Authority gain to a standstill, let alone into the negative, it's basically a lost cause in trying to still focus on the HRE as the Emperor afterwards.
On the other hand, if you do focus on the HRE all the way, you can kind of break the game by declaring no CB wars (with diplo ideas) and/or religious cleansing wars (religious ideas) to defeat OPM heretics in the Empire and force them to convert back to Catholicism, which completely removes the Center of Reformation in their Capital. This strategy, truly, feels like it's more of a glitch and exploit than skillful play, because you can pretty much destroy all of the Reformation in just 6 short wars (3 Centers of Reformation for both Reformed and Protestant). After that, nobody can really stop you. The League Wars will obviously never fire because barely anyone is Protestant, and by 1570 it's perfectly reasonable to have revoked the privilegia already. That's a bit more than 100 years from gamestart to inherit all of Germany (and more if you prevented the Shadow Kingdom).

It's broken and it needs fixing. Please make the HRE more fun to play with, and make being the Emperor a more enjoyable and interesting choice. I'm counting on you, Paradox.

While this diary may not be the place to suggest this, you remarked about touching up Europe from Brest to Byzantium. I would add that Byzantium needs a loving touch from the developers as well. The areas I specifically have in mind is a unique government reform , and a remake of the Byzantine national ideas. Byzantium had a unique government before the unique governments got obliterated initially. Byzantium had a unique form of government that did not correlate with traditional European monarchies. Crusader Kings II had that idea as well, and formed a very interesting, powerful and unstable government for Byzantium. The other thing is the updating of the Byzantine National Ideas, which by this patch are very old and out of date. It's Islamic counterpart, Granada and consequently Al-Andalus got their national ideas updating making use of the new modifiers you guys created. Both these changes in the upcoming expansion would make those of us who hold the Purple Phoenix DLC very happy.

In terms of religion, I think we really need an option to choose tolerance policy. It can work with similair button as politcy towards the natives, with three picks like "Equal rights", "Tolerated" and "Banned". It would be much better than the current tolerance decisions, where you can enact contradicting ones simultaneously. Choosing the policy would impact protestantism spread, relations with heretic nations, revolt risk etc.
It would be great if protestant nations had an option to support the propaganda struggle of their brothers in faith in catholic states with subisidies and spy network. The target country should then have some option to counter this (besides high spy def), maybe a CB and "stop supporting heretics" war demand?

Last edited:
Call me incompetent or something,
but in my opinion, preventing the shadow kingdom has become to tough
Most of the times you play Austria, you go for bohemia then hungary and then for venice and the pope,
by the time you are done with hungary its most likely about 1457
and trying to annex/vassalize
100 developement, while already having declared 2 pu wars (because i dont get hungary by event ever) the agressive expansion is just to high
I never made the shadow kingdom in time without getting a major coalition and getting into a shitload of debt
Also, for some reason you now need abruzzen, that means you have to declare war on:
best case: naples
normal: aragon
worst case: castille
i think removing abruzzen from the shadow kingdom should make it a lot more interesting path to go on

I think we really need an option to choose tolerance policy. It can work with similair button as politcy towards the natives, with three picks like "Equal rights", "Tolerated" and "Banned".
Eu3 has something like that, if I recall right. There was like a slider between tolerance and conversion, I think.

Most of the times you play Austria, you go for bohemia then hungary and then for venice and the pope,
by the time you are done with hungary its most likely about 1457

but if preventing shadow kingdom is supposed to be hard, why do you sidetrack and take some AE in places you don't need to? Also don't forget you can feed italian lands to your HRE princes, thus getting no AE at all.

i think removing abruzzen from the shadow kingdom should make it a lot more interesting path to go on

personally when I did it, I don't think I needed that war against aragon though. While definitely doable, maybe it's possible to alter that? Good luck in your attempts though!

Last edited:
Really great to hear some improvements are being made for larger monitors! I run 1440p on a 27" monitor and it's very hard on my aging eyes. The current UI scaling options wreck the font and also prevent the minimap from being clickable. The only workaround I have at this resolution is to use the stellaris font in EU4 and leave UI scaling off.

A friend has expressed interest in EU4 but he's on 4k so I advised against it for now.

@neondt Landshut (the town itself) is geographically straight beneath Regensburg; so it's still a bit off on EU4's teaser-map but within the realm of a quick fix.

Before the AI converted everything in their territory. That was ahistorical as well. There’s no easy fix to religion, and a rollback to previous mechanics certainly ain’t it.
Are you saying that the devs consciously changed conversion mechanics because they thought the AI was converting things at too rapid a pace, compared to history?!

Wow. On what basis are you saying that? I suppose one could make a case that there were versions in which the AI attempted to convert things a bit too aggressively, but as a "problem", it pales in comparison to the lack of AI conversions, currently. There is just no equivalency.

I certainly didn't see too rapid AI conversion as a big problem. I never saw any posts by other players indicating too rapid AI conversion was perceived as a problem. I never saw any posts by devs indicating too rapid AI conversion was perceived as a problem. I never saw any posts by devs indicating the changes were designed combat AI converting too rapidly. In fact there have never been any posts by the devs, at all, responding to this particular change - why it was done, whether the impact on the AI was intentional, whether it's an unintended consequence, whether it will be fixed, whether it is here to stay. What little the developers said about the change implied it was intended to slow down PLAYER conversions; unfortunately, it doesn't really do that.

Given their radio silence, it's surprising that you seem to have gleaned some insight into their motivations that I missed. I'm impressed.

And, as far as a fix, rolling back to the previous mechanics might not be perfect, but it's a damn sight better than the current situation.

Of course, they could continue to duck the whole issue, and many more, if they would make some of these changes optional, as CK2 somehow manages to do. So for example, if you prefer to play with a "more historical" or "less historical" religious progression, you could revert the conversion changes or keep the new ones, as it pleases you.

Can some love please be given to Italy? Since this is an HRE-focused patch and practically none of the Italian states have their own mission tree and only a couple even have their own national ideas, I'd really like to see some flavor and uniqueness brought to this region.

The formation and consolidation of the powerful Prussian state should be a matter of concern for the Emperor and Princes. What if Switzerland wish to abandon the HRE?

@DDRJake (or other devs) - I hope you read this but please don't make this railroaded event-chains exclusive to Prussia and Switzerland (this would essentially just be Shadow Kingdom reversed) but instead make it a dynamic system that could potentially affect any HRE member if certain conditions are met. If possible major internal power struggles or a myriad of nations leaving could even lead to the complete dissolution of the empire (though this would have to be major of course).