• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 30th of April 2019

Good day and welcome to this week's EU4 Dev Diary. Last week we briefly covered Custom Nation desires. Let's go through some of the feedback on it here:

Some nations' national ideas have two ideas in one slot, what's your opinion on adding that to nation designer?

I'm a tad unsatisfied with NI sets with repeating bonuses, and it's generally something you see on older NIs. I'd rather do away with them, but for Custom Nations, we already give the player the ability to turn up ideas to a high degree at extra cost. I'm not convinced that we want to add repeating ideas, even at additional cost.

Please more colours for flags and country on the map! Also let CN import a mission three from a tag, at a cost in ponts.

Another idea: how about giving custom nations access to custom national mission trees? I guess letting you actually design a mission tree sounds like a work for a medium-sized expansion itself.

Expanding the CN feature to allow for custom or imported mission trees would likely balloon in work required quickly. I feel you on the colours issue though.

In-game options when devs?

I will keep asking this as part of my duty to get it through to devs that us players desperately want this so we can customize our playthroughs.

If you mean Game Options akin to CK2, then I'm going to have to disappoint you, as that is not in our plans.

It baffles me how France has such a high playrate. Dosen't it get boring starting so strong?

Also Ming, which literally defeats the purpose of playing.

Relatability is a hell of a drug.

English monarchy and steppe horde are broken with custom nations in random nations settings. The reason is in the government reform file the reform is set to appear if the country already has the reform when it should be set to appear if it has ever had the reform.

Interesting, thanks for the heads up, I'll look into these issues.

Please, for the love of all that is holy, add the converter religions into the nation designer. I am perfectly happy for them to ONLY be available to custom nations if you don't feel like they are fleshed out enough to add them as actual religions via the existing heretic rebels

We'll look into this, I think it'd be a cool touch.

Custom portraits for rulers would add immersion

I just want Ruler/General/Admiral/Explorer/Conquistador portraits and more personalities for these characters. Please. Pretty please.

EU4 is a nation focused game, rather than a character focused one, so we're not big on such things. Advisors, as instruments of state, are about the only people given faces. While you'll see rulers (and all sorts of other characters) in portraits in CK2 and Imperator, they are not going to make an appearance in EU4.

I'd really like to see the culture mapmode on the start screen to help make the custom nations.

Culture map-painting is the patrician level of expansion, so I agree.

More custom nation achievements please. I wouldn't hate the addition of some random world achievements either. Ideas guy is one of the best achievements out there because there are so many different paths you can choose for doing it.

Spot on. Ideas Guy is one of the most inspiring Achievements and more are desired.

Serbian Flavour pack? Missions related to the reconquest of lands held by Tsar Stefan Dusan and expansion in the balkans, Serbia was an important regional power in the area and theyre a bit underrepresented *crie

The focus of the Expansion is from Brest to Byzantium, which encapsulates Serbia. Their time in the flavour limelight is now.

Hey EU IV devs do you planing any changes in ruler/Royal Families/PU system in upcoming European expansion?

In a concise but disappointing response, we do not have this planned for the upcoming expansion/

So what do we have today? A bit of a smorgasbord as it happens. First of all, back in January we talked a bit about 4K support / scalable UI for EU4. It's currently not the prettiest of games when played on a 4K screen, and we've been investigating it lately.

Here is the EU4 experience on a 4K monitor at 100% UI scale:

100%.jpg

and up to 150%:

150%.jpg

and now for 175%:

175%.jpg

We have some kinks to iron out, but we're onto a winner here for making EU4 more timeless for the every growing % of players who have upgraded beyond the traditional batting grounds of 1080p

I want to talk about a couple other aspirations we have for the upcoming European expansion. In the giant end of year dev diary, there were a couple things that we said we wanted to address, namely:

• The HRE system, which is largely unchanged from EU3 needs to evolve
  • Make Catholicism and the Pope feel like a force to be reckoned with, rather than just another colour of Christianity and country
Let's take the HRE first. The Holy Roman Empire has not really been needing change, leading to it's relative state of persistence for so long. It functions well as an entity for keeping such a historically fractured region jumbled and offers an interesting challenge on expansion with varied approaches on dealing with it, so for all intents and purposes it has a job and it does it without huge complaint.

The caveat here however is that this has been a satisfactory situation for a while, but as we have enriched much of the world around it, the HRE has become less interesting in comparison. When we wrote up pillars for what we want to do in the upcoming expansion and update, we came up with the following:

Revitalize the play in the HRE that hasn’t changed much. Make the empire feel alive filled with bickering princes.

Does it feel this way right now? Not to the point that we are currently satisfied with. As a member state, becoming Emperor is a cool aspiration, but as Emperor, aside from some cool strengths you get, it doesn't feel like you have much in the way of interesting choices to make to run the Empire as you envision. Granted in such a decentralized mass, not all should be so keen to follow your law, but we want to open up the Holy Roman experience to allow for more meaningful and dynamic situations. The Emperor should have some sway in the Burgundian Situation. A powerful Pope should lead to meaningful conflict between Empire and Italy beyond the Shadow Kingdom event. The formation and consolidation of the powerful Prussian state should be a matter of concern for the Emperor and Princes. What if Switzerland wish to abandon the HRE?

These are the occurrences that we aspire to model as dynamically as we can within the HRE, and are dabbling with good ways to simulate this in the game.

Another evident issue with HRE play, one that can be seen by playing as Emperor or talking to anyone who has, is that the final reform feels like a trap. An army of HRE subjects to unleash on your foes and carve up the map as you see fit? Now that's an enjoyable reward for reigning in the Empire, however smashing that final reform, absorbing the entire empire and losing all the effects you've built up, considerably less so. While we don't have the exact details, we see this as something that should be split: where there is a clear path for reform in the HRE, either towards decentralized power or all land under one ruler, so that players don't feel the need to purposefully hold back on completing the HRE reform path.

Regarding Catholicism, both the religion and the head of the faith are in need of attention, and the attention is two-fold, both gameplay and flavour.

In terms of gameplay, Catholicism is widely considered a poor choice of religion. If you are not the Curia Controller, it is a very weak religion, and if you are the Curia Controller, then it's a strange state where you actually want there to be as few other Catholics as possible so that you can hoard this power for yourself. Add to this the fact that the Pope himself is, by and large, just treated as another country, and not the mighty head of a faith that he deserves to be (as I have been masterfully lectured by @Duplo )

When it comes to flavour, Catholicism has far been left in the lurch in terms of interesting content when compared to pretty much all other forms of Christianity.

Catholicism is one of the main focuses, fittingly for this European expansion and update. In a nutshell we want to empower Catholicism against the already tantalizing Protestantism, such that union between the Catholic faith adds to its strength, where the Pope and/or Curia Controller himself can take action in favour of the entire faith (or potentially lining their own filthy pockets) and take action in response to the growing threat posed by the reformation. Currently, Reform Desire does little outside of igniting the reformation, we would like to make the mechanic more engaging for Pope and Catholics alike, such that they are incentivized to combat or grant concessions against the rift.

These are our aspirations at least, with regards to HRE and Catholicism. How do you feel about them in the game currently and what would you most like to see?

Now, we've been talking about design, quality of life and content aspirations for a few months now, which has been very much our goal and quite fun from our end, but I think we all are keen to get to some content. This will be our last week of such aspiration dev diaries: from next week onwards, we'll start showing off map work, content work and features/fixes/QoL for our upcoming European Update and Expansion.

Let's tease as I so often like to do, with a cheeky preview screenshot for next week:

teaser.png

Last edited:
@DDRJake now’s the time; please fix the UI fonts. The Better UI mod cannot remain the bail out forever.

Catholicism is one of the main focuses, fittingly for this European expansion and update. In a nutshell we want to empower Catholicism against the already tantalizing Protestantism, such that union between the Catholic faith adds to its strength, where the Pope and/or Curia Controller himself can take action in favour of the entire faith (or potentially lining their own filthy pockets) and take action in response to the growing threat posed by the reformation. Currently, Reform Desire does little outside of igniting the reformation, we would like to make the mechanic more engaging for Pope and Catholics alike, such that they are incentivized to combat or grant concessions against the rift.

These are our aspirations at least, with regards to HRE and Catholicism. How do you feel about them in the game currently and what would you most like to see?

Great ideas, and there might be some interesting achievements. However you might like to consider decoupling connected mechanics such as the Age change-over from the Reformation (which always seems to fire way too early anyway). Otherwise you just incentivize players to intervene on the basis of their Age benefits in a most ahistorical way, with say Portugal at one extreme and Spain at the other, hell-bent on destroying Catholicism just because they want their tercios... (unless you're Pope of course in which you should be allowed to game the Reformation any way you wish...)

Could we remove the stability loss on death for monarchies or at least make it less stupid? Maybe make it so that if the ruler dies within a few years you still lose stab but if my king has been ruling successfully and well for 27 years and his heir has good stats and a strong claim why do I lose stability? He's old, and died of old age after ruling well and left behind a strong lineage. Losing a stab if the leader dies in battle does make some sense though. It's one of the main reasons I avoid playing a monarchy. It just gets tiresome.

The loss of stability on a monarch's death is a good representation of what happened. Folks were always trying to use the chance to use some claim to seize whatever power they could when there was noway to legitimately seize that power from the previous monarch (usually because the new monarch has yet to be in good standing with all the vassals). I'll use some experience playing CK2 to point out the first few years of a monarch's reign almost always involves stabilizing the realm. Larger countries should be more difficult to stabilize as a monarchy, but the game does not give players a large +stability cost modifier to larger nations.

Last edited:
I'd definitely love to see more OPMs in the HRE, The HRE could become more "historically accurate" like what you did with the Irish minors. An HRE with more tags really changes Europe with much larger coalitions/trade leagues and greatly empowering the emperor, especially one they have revoked the Privilegia.

Their time in the flavour limelight is now.
In the same spirit I suggest flavour revolving around the manyfold interactions between Sweden and Mecklenburg: From generally fleshing out the precarious situation of the Hanseatic League to the so called "Schwedenzeit" of Wismar, when Sweden conquered the city in 1632 during the Thirty Years War, and remained swedish territory - with some exceptions in form of succesful sieges by Danes and - until 1803. Having the close ties between Sweden and Mecklenburg represented in-game would be great.

@DDRJake I don’t think mag_zbc‘s question was about repeating national ideas (like Portugal’s repeating trade efficiency modifier, which really must be improved), but about multiple modifiers occupying one slot— such as, for example, Russia’s “Russian Artillery Yard” and “The Table of Ranks” ideas, which give -10% artillery cost/+10% artillery combat ability and +0.25% yearly army tradition/-10% advisor cost, respectively. I’d also like to see such options available to custom nations.

I’m glad to hear that Catholicism and the HRE are getting the mechanical rework they deserve. It’d be great for the pope to be able to issue papal bulls that effect all other Catholic nations and for there to be some event that occurs when the pope dies in which nations actually vie for control of the Curia, rather than the weird semi-random system we have now. For Catholicism, I’d suggest looking into MEIOU’s version, and MEIOU’s catholic events in particular.

For the HRE, as has been said before, I think it’d be very cool to further subdivide the Empire into Imperial Circles based on region, each with individual flavor and (please, pretty please) unique missions. That’d go a long ways towards making the HRE the vibrant, engaging place it deserves to be. Maybe, within each Circle, there could be universal military access— something like the daimyos in Japan. You’d still need to ask for access if warring outside your circle, but this would both make them feel more unique and fix the biggest issue of exclaves. Also, I really love the idea of a branching tree of possible imperial reforms, and hope that that idea is explored and developed much further.

<3

I was thinking that the Papal states could have similar reform mechanic that the HRE emperor has. Especially considering the fact that during Eu there were 2 Catholic councils and counter-reformation . At the end of the reform tree the Papal states would become permanent papal controller which would symbolize the end of investiture contest and the church would get absolute control over curia.

This. Yes, please. Forming the Kingdom of God on Earth is such a terrible disappointment.

Last edited:
Speaking of the HRE, I think it would be neat if there was an add to the empire" peace deal option available to the emperor and empire members to force the one accepting the deal to join the empire, of course the emperor should also have a say in this so that heathens or heretics do not get added willy nilly, maybe if he rejects the addition he gets an opinion penalty with who tried to add somebody else.

Awesome idea.

This is very sad to hear. Dynastic politics, aims, personal unions and inheritance played THE crucial role in the history of Europe up until the late 18th century. I understand that you want to distinguish the game from CK2, but early modern period was absolutely nothing like 19th or 20th centuries. Over half of the game's timeline falls before the peace of Westphalia, which is now viewed as the starting point for a modern conception of statehood, sovereignity and international relations.

Yet the dynastic matters in EU4 are completely sidelined and using very unclear mechanisms that do not even try to imitate reality. The guide to personal unions on this very forum shows how incomprehensible the system is for many players, even the experienced ones. We don't need to have the CK2 dynastic claim system and succession rules pasted over to EU4. We don't even need dynastic trees. But we need some better UI and visible rules for PUs and most of all, dynastic flavour. Succession wars were the most impactful and large-scale conflict in European history, so why is there so little focus on personal unions it in the game apart from the very few predetermined historical ones?

Making a large European expansion and ignoring that what made the whole panregion unique and distinct from the rest of the world is beyond my understanding, especially considering how dated the existing mechanics are. Please make sure to do think twice about this decision.

I’d love to see another League War-style event to trigger here— a scripted War of the Spanish Succession or War of the Austrian Succession (or both!) would go a long ways towards making the Age of Revolutions interesting to play in.

Let's address the elephant that saunters into Europe in the 1700s, gameplaywise: Revolutionary governments! Now is the time, comrades, to free the shackles of the oppressed revolutionary system as it is currently implemented! Never again shall we come close to an expansion that encompasses all of Europe, where revolutionary governments are currently constrained!

We demand better flags! We demand governments like Prussian Monarchies, Dutch Republics, and Tsardoms actually cower in fear of our influence! We demand unique government reforms for switching to revolutionary governments! Finally, we demand better mechanics than the current system for Revolutionary Republics!

Now that that's out of my system, please update revolutionary governments? Pretty please?

Yes! The Revolution must be able to take on half of Europe single-handedly, just as Napoleon did time and again. The current system is alright, but needs to be buffed significantly to be a real force to be reckoned with.

Arise!

I'm a tad unsatisfied with NI sets with repeating bonuses, and it's generally something you see on older NIs. I'd rather do away with them, but for Custom Nations, we already give the player the ability to turn up ideas to a high degree at extra cost. I'm not convinced that we want to add repeating ideas, even at additional cost

100% Agree.
I would also encourage you to give a look at those older NI's and rework some of them.

Especially those of the "Tier 1", interesting nations.

Also especially those who don't accurately portray said nation and/or have been powercreeped into uselessness.

And also, especially if there already has been a patch which was supposed to address them but didn't.

I would really appreciate it.

Hmm.... Regensburg. Let me take a wild guess: Bavaria is given its own tiny vassal swarm? Or split up completely?

The loss of stability on a monarch's death is a good representation of what happened. Folks were always trying to use the chance to use some claim to seize whatever power they could when there was noway to legitimately seize that power from the previous monarch (usually because the new monarch has yet to be in good standing with all the vassals). I'll use some experience playing CK2 to point out the first few years of a monarch's reign almost always involves stabilizing the realm. Larger countries should be more difficult to stabilize as a monarchy, but the game does not give players a large +stability cost modifier to larger nations.
if anything succession is too clean in EU4. look for example at the conflicts between Habsburgs on succession until they sorted out primogeniture succession, none of which is in game because you just die and an heir takes over, very nice and clean.

Regarding the overall of catholicism, are you going to make papal bulls actually a thing? Inter caetera, Dum Diversas, among others, were vital in justifying religious wars in the period but that is currently not reflected, unless you finish Religious Ideas and get Deus Vult.

if anything succession is too clean in EU4. look for example at the conflicts between Habsburgs on succession until they sorted out primogeniture succession, none of which is in game because you just die and an heir takes over, very nice and clean.

To add to this: Having low legitimacy should cause a huge amount of unrest.

I agree that PU in general need reowrk and I would add that successions wars need to be clarified and improved too. In my latest game as Netherland, Spain inherited Italia and only Branderburg batted an eye at the very obvious threath. And me since I had an alliance.
Big inheritance should trigger coalitions, or any concerned nation could join the other side. Just look Spanish succession war.

Maybe a Crisis system akin to Vicky 2? All Rivals of a nation get to decide if they oppose the union and if any of them do a Crisis starts.

Yes, that is truly disappointing.

It is especially so given your refusal to fix, or even acknowledge, the recent conversion changes are distasteful to many people who prefer to have AI nations, vassals, and Colonial Nations convert provinces as they used to. Many players simply do not like the odd, ahistorical religious situation that is now common in most play-throughs.

Before the AI converted everything in their territory. That was ahistorical as well. There’s no easy fix to religion, and a rollback to previous mechanics certainly ain’t it.