• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 2nd of June 2016

Hello and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. This is probably the last one I’ll write for some months, as I’m taking some paternity leave. I’m leaving you in the capable hands of DDRJake though, who’ll give you weekly diaries in June, August and September.. As you all know, we’re a swedish company, so July is sacred and holy, and must be worshipped in the sun.

Speaking of Swedish, I guess it is time to talk about something related. Culture.

Culture in Europa Universalis, as most of you seem to grasp, have nothing with linguistic relations to do, but more of a semi-arbitrary limits of who gets along better with who, and who could rule others easier through history.

Which cultures were accepted in your nation in EU4 has not really been controllable though before, as you get gaining or losing, depending on the presence of a culture in your country.

In 1.18, which we aim to release in the autumn, we have completely removed the cultural acceptance percentage system, and instead give you control over which cultures are accepted or not in your empire.

First of all, there is now a limit on how many cultures a nation can accept.

There is a base of 2 accepted cultures, The Humanist Idea ‘Cultural Ties’ gives you 2 more slots, Enlighetened Despotism increases it with up to 3 at Empire level & Several Nations have ideas giving them an extra slot. There are also policies that can give you an extra slot each if you so desire and Diplomatic Technology gives you up to 5 more slots, currently from level 8, 14, 20, 26 & 31.

If you have too many cultures, you will lose the last one you accepted.

Any accepted or same culture group can be made into primary culture, if its at least 50% of your cored state development. This costs 100 diplomatic power and obviously this means that the cultural shift decision has been made obsolete and is now removed.

You can promote any culture in your nation that has at least 20 cored development in a state. It costs 100 diplomatic power.

You can also remove an accepted culture if you so wish, which costs 10 diplomatic power, and adds 5 unrest in all the provinces with that culture.

Here is a look of the new government window, which includes the culture lists.

fN0Ylyn.jpg

Stay tuned, next week Jake will all tell you about WHY it is better to be a great power than a minor.

Reactions:
Yes.

We live in a civilized country, where most people dont work in July.

Cute. If you'll excuse me, I'll be busy working through July, out of my own free will. And the money I make working will pay for your games.

Reactions:
Size... More people to do more work.

Besides... Sweden has a higher GDP per capita and higher average wealth per adult than the USA...

All of these besides Sweden also having higher life expectancy, having a more happy population, having more personal freedom, health care, less poverty, less crime per capita, less murder per capita... all those social benefits... and still menages a higher GDP than the USA. Gees... whats the USA is doing wrong I imagine.

Its useless to compare countries that are dissimilar geographically and demographically. A smaller country, both in terms of territory and population, as well as being less diverse, will face far different circumstances than one that is totally opposite it in those respects.

Reactions:
Having spent time in Sweden in November and April, I definitely don't begrudge them their July holiday. There were many places where the ground literally never saw sun and the snow never melted, and I wasn't even there in winter!

Its useless to compare countries that are dissimilar geographically and demographically. A smaller country, both in terms of territory and population, as well as being less diverse, will face far different circumstances than one that is totally opposite it in those respects.

Don't know about less diverse. 27% of the population in Sweden are of "foreign heritage", witch means at least one non-Swedish parent. But we don't keep track of etnicity though (Afro-swedes and so on), a lot of Finns in that number (myself included). They are by far the largest group of immigrants in sweden (in Stockholm county alone they make up for about 10% of the population, more Finns here then in most Finnish cities). Second biggest group I think is from Iraq.

As for the USA, the non-White population are 72%. Not that big of a difference.

Reactions:
First of all congrats for the baby :cool:

I had 2 concerns with the current version of the game. The first one was accepted cultures especially for Turkic cultures like Azeri which are basically Oghuz Turks was a "foreign" culture for Ottomans which were also Oghuz Turks. I believe that was really unfair and western biased point of view . It would be nice to , at least , have more control over cultures .

My second concern is education of heirs . There is an event if you have regency council but it is far from sufficient . I think there should be more events regarding education of heirs , like spending coins for his/her education or points .

For example , a heir born with 2/2/3 stats should be able develope to 4/4/3 if given good(expensive:D) education , and their maximum potential should be according to royal marriage ties . Alternative concepts can also be developed .

Congratulations on becoming a father! Enjoy you're time off! Also, nice DD.

@Johan , Enjoy some quality time with your family !

You give us so much of yourself, it's more than about time you think about yourself and your family, relatives and friends (those outside Paradox).

Regards

Nicolas I

PS I come from a family of 8 children. With the spouses, children and relatives, that makes big/good parties !

PRAISE THE SUN!!!! \[T]'/

I'd rather not praise the Sun, here in Phoenix this time of year we get rather too much of it! :D

(Saturday, it's going to get up to 118 degrees F / 48 degrees C)

I'd rather not praise the Sun, here in Phoenix this time of year we get rather too much of it! :D

You must be a darkwraith D:
Begone, foul puppet of Kaathe!

Don't know about less diverse. 27% of the population in Sweden are of "foreign heritage", witch means at least one non-Swedish parent. But we don't keep track of etnicity though (Afro-swedes and so on), a lot of Finns in that number (myself included). They are by far the largest group of immigrants in sweden (in Stockholm county alone they make up for about 10% of the population, more Finns here then in most Finnish cities). Second biggest group I think is from Iraq.

Actually, the non-Hispanic white population is 63.7% (Latino/non-Latino is considered separately from white/black/asian/native american/pacific islander/other in the census, although Hispanic is usually considered a minority group in most comparisons). Some areas can be considerably more diverse--my school district has its website in English, Spanish, Arabic, Farsi, Urdu, Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese, and you can get an Amharic speaker if you call, and Chicago famously has more Poles than any city in Poland save Warsaw.

Reactions:
Just to check, do the current culture groups remain?
Also, what does "promoting" a culture refer to??

And I'm going to have to be in Phoenix again this month. Lord have mercy I can barely deal with temperatures above 68 degrees, let alone above 100.

You'd think being born and being in Phoenix at least a month or two every year since then I would get used to the heat, but no. Too hot. North Dakota is too hot, too. Everything is too hot.

Congratulations on the new child!!

She is not that new, i just have lots of paid days neither of us had used..

I'll still work a day or two each week, but that time will be spent on design issues on eu4, and helping with podcat, king, wiz & doomdark with their games.

Reactions:
Sounds like the upcoming expansion is going to be filled with the kinda stuff I like going by the last two dev diaries.

Kinda surprised you went with this mechanic for culture though, I always half-expected it to become a time based "You've had culture x as a huge part of your country for z years, they're now an integral part" kinda system where it'd spread passively based on how much a culture made up of your country or the percentage of the cultures tiles you owned (If Finnish was 50% of your empire or you owned 80% of the Finnish culture provinces etc).

Cool to see it changed though, even if it's not gone in the direction I was hoping.

You're comparing two different statistics, first of all. Non-white Americans can easily trace the ancestry back centuries without having anyone born outside the US, which means comparing non-whites in American to Swedes with foreign heritage doesn't really add up. But even if it did, could you explain how 27% and 72% aren't that big of a difference?

Reactions: