• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 2nd of June 2016

Hello and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. This is probably the last one I’ll write for some months, as I’m taking some paternity leave. I’m leaving you in the capable hands of DDRJake though, who’ll give you weekly diaries in June, August and September.. As you all know, we’re a swedish company, so July is sacred and holy, and must be worshipped in the sun.

Speaking of Swedish, I guess it is time to talk about something related. Culture.

Culture in Europa Universalis, as most of you seem to grasp, have nothing with linguistic relations to do, but more of a semi-arbitrary limits of who gets along better with who, and who could rule others easier through history.

Which cultures were accepted in your nation in EU4 has not really been controllable though before, as you get gaining or losing, depending on the presence of a culture in your country.

In 1.18, which we aim to release in the autumn, we have completely removed the cultural acceptance percentage system, and instead give you control over which cultures are accepted or not in your empire.

First of all, there is now a limit on how many cultures a nation can accept.

There is a base of 2 accepted cultures, The Humanist Idea ‘Cultural Ties’ gives you 2 more slots, Enlighetened Despotism increases it with up to 3 at Empire level & Several Nations have ideas giving them an extra slot. There are also policies that can give you an extra slot each if you so desire and Diplomatic Technology gives you up to 5 more slots, currently from level 8, 14, 20, 26 & 31.

If you have too many cultures, you will lose the last one you accepted.

Any accepted or same culture group can be made into primary culture, if its at least 50% of your cored state development. This costs 100 diplomatic power and obviously this means that the cultural shift decision has been made obsolete and is now removed.

You can promote any culture in your nation that has at least 20 cored development in a state. It costs 100 diplomatic power.

You can also remove an accepted culture if you so wish, which costs 10 diplomatic power, and adds 5 unrest in all the provinces with that culture.

Here is a look of the new government window, which includes the culture lists.

fN0Ylyn.jpg

Stay tuned, next week Jake will all tell you about WHY it is better to be a great power than a minor.

Reactions:
1) The causes of suicide rates are a complex issue, and putting them down to weather as a significant factor is dubious considering the top 5 are: Guyana, S. Korea, Sri Lanka, Lithuania, Suriname
2) The USA have 12.1 suicides per 100k inhabitants. Sweden has 11.1, Norway 9.1, Denmark 8.8

SOURCE: Suicide Rates Data by Country, WHO 2012
Not that I think weather has much of an effect on suicide rates, but South Korea gets colder than some parts of Canada during the winter. I know because I currently live in landlocked Alberta and have lived in Korea before.

Reactions:
This, compared to institutions (at the moment), is so much more impressive. One thing though, even though it is quite "random" and not under control to accept cultures now, it happens naturally. You accept cultures you conquer first easier, and cultures you conquer later on much harder. It is a more "organic" process.

It would be nice if the new accepted cultures thing will make it so that it is harder to accept a new culture the more accepted cultures you have, and easier if you already accepted the culture of a same union of the one you wish to accept, and have higher penalties/costs for removing an accepted culture. This might be what you said in the post, but it is quite confusing for me to under stand fully :oops:... For example I don't understand what you mean by adding cultures to primary cultures, isn't there only one primary culture? So for example you play Albania, and conquered Greek land and added it to your primary culture because it is over 50% of your development. Then you conquered Anatolia, and added Turkish to your primary culture because over 50% development. Does that mean you now have 3 primary cultures? Is Empire cultural union seen the same as primary cultures? Is there a difference between accepted cultures and primary cultures? Do same cultural group cultures still give less penalties or are they all treated the same as non-accepted, just easier to become accepted?

Reactions:
Ok thanks but I was seriously hopeing for there to be a way to encourage or discourage the instituions from spreading and I was using that as an example.and I had not thought of the fact they said Italian region. as an example if I'm playing bohemia and I want to weaken Poland some way of slowing down the renaissance to me would be an interesting ability to have.

Size... More people to do more work.

Besides... Sweden has a higher GDP per capita and higher average wealth per adult than the USA...

All of these besides Sweden also having higher life expectancy, having a more happy population, having more personal freedom, health care, less poverty, less crime per capita, less murder per capita... all those social benefits... and still menages a higher GDP than the USA. Gees... whats the USA is doing wrong I imagine.

Let's limit ourselves to facts, not fiction, first off, the USA has a higher GDP per capita than sweden, about 55000$, where Sweden's lies somewhere between 45000 and 48000$. (Sources: International Monetary Fund, the World Bank and the CIA world factbook) The countries that are above the US are either very small, tax heavens for rich people or have their soil filled with oil (or a combination of those).
When looking at the Human Development Index, the USA beats Sweden again with 0,915 compared to 0,907. Both Countries are certainly first world, and your claims about the poverty, health care, personal freedom are true, but at the cost of about 10000$ per person of the GDP (which is ironically roughly comparable to the worldwide GDP per capita.)

Reactions:
Let's limit ourselves to facts, not fiction, first off, the USA has a higher GDP per capita than sweden, about 55000$, where Sweden's lies somewhere between 45000 and 48000$. (Sources: International Monetary Fund, the World Bank and the CIA world factbook) The countries that are above the US are either very small, tax heavens for rich people or have their soil filled with oil (or a combination of those).
When looking at the Human Development Index, the USA beats Sweden again with 0,915 compared to 0,907. Both Countries are certainly first world, and your claims about the poverty, health care, personal freedom are true, but at the cost of about 10000$ per person of the GDP (which is ironically roughly comparable to the worldwide GDP per capita.)

You're using GDP PPP... I was using pure GDP, and in that Sweden is higher... Sources: The World Bank, The United Nations.

But none the less... my comment was a response to a guy saying that the lack of work regulations is better for the economy... It might be at short term... but clearly Sweden is doing better than the USA en every aspect... even if it's GDP PPP is lower, or HDI a little lower as well.

Reactions:
I haven`t seen any post regarding cultural unions ?
Given how the new system is shown it stands to reason that cultural unions are out.

We have a problem with the Germanic group ! There are 12 cultures in the group, it will be hard to have the all as accepted while the French have only 7 cultures in their group.
It would be beyond silly not to have group cultures as accepted !
Some cultures from the Germanic group must go - Pomeranian and Flemish are obvious candidates.
There is also the issue of the gargantuan Levantine group with 7 cultures.

I propose we get a pool of points that rises rather than slots. Cultures that belong to the same group should cost two times less than cultures that don`t belong to the same group.

You're comparing two different statistics, first of all. Non-white Americans can easily trace the ancestry back centuries without having anyone born outside the US, which means comparing non-whites in American to Swedes with foreign heritage doesn't really add up. But even if it did, could you explain how 27% and 72% aren't that big of a difference?

It's not 27% and 72%

It's 27% and 28% (100% minus 72%). As in, in the USA 72% of the population does belong to the majority population it the most aspects (political, etnical, economicly), in Sweden the same number is 73%.

But I do agree that it's not straight off comparable. Point was that Sweden are hardly the homogenous society it was in the 60s anymore, and havn't been for decades. The USA isn't the only melting pot in the World.

Edit: Oh, I saw now that a typo had sneaked it's way in to my original post. It should say that 72% of the pop in the USA are white. Not not-white.

Reactions:
I haven`t seen any post regarding cultural unions ?
Given how the new system is shown it stands to reason that cultural unions are out.

We have a problem with the Germanic group ! There are 12 cultures in the group, it will be hard to have the all as accepted while the French have only 7 cultures in their group.
It would be beyond silly not to have group cultures as accepted !
Some cultures from the Germanic group must go - Pomeranian and Flemish are obvious candidates.
There is also the issue of the gargantuan Levantine group with 7 cultures.

I propose we get a pool of points that rises rather than slots. Cultures that belong to the same group should cost two times less than cultures that don`t belong to the same group.
I would advise you to at least read the dev posts ["Show only Dev responses" at the top right].
Empire level CUs have not been removed in 1.18.

Language and Culture should be separated, I would love to have, say a Latin speaking Europe that still maintains elements of its cultural identity. This option would solve a huge amount of problems with Cultural Groups at the moment.

Reactions:
Hm, is this set in stone? I think accepting cultures should take time and should be permanent unless territory changes hands, much like coring.

So, an example mechanic would be if you control say 70% of the total development among all provinces belonging to a certain culture, you can spend x diplomatic power and 5 years later they become accepted.

I think the cap should apply to culture groups rather than cultures.

Reactions:
Great improvements ahead but what the hell is "Francien"? It would be a language at best but most linguists do not even consider it as such.
I would say that it is "Frankish" in French, as that is what France is: "Land of the Franks", which by extension is what a Frenchie is.

This has nothing to do with this actually but are you guys planning to do something with the fact that when you play as some nation lets say Morocco and you want convert to Andalusia you get the old units, you know, the ones that any other arabic nation has. Are you going to change that in a close future like you did with Bukhara and Uzbek?

Reactions: