• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 23rd of April 2019

Good day all. Today's a fairly brief Dev Diary, even by recent standards, as two of the five previous workdays were swallowed whole by Sweden's love for public holidays. To that end, I hope a good Easter day was had by all.

Last week I went over some Quality of Life suggestions that came up internally, and today I want to touch on one in particular detail. Again, these are not iron-clad promises of things to come. They are certainly improvements that we desire to make for the game, but or not that translates to being in our upcoming European Expansion and its accompanying update is for reality to dictate.

I mentioned at the end-of-year dev diary before that improving Custom Nation options was something we would like to achieve in said European release. Now a question that may come to mind is why this would be on the radar for our European expansion. Well Custom Nations remain one of the most popular choice for players. It has spent plenty of time as the number one choice in the past, although in the past months it has been playing second fiddle to France, see our handy nations chart:

Played Nations.jpg

No huge surprises here, except perhaps that England have fallen from grace, as they used to consistently be near the very top. These are most fun to observe when a release is done for a certain area, such as Rule Britannia, where England spiked like crazy.

What we see is that custom nations (D00 here) continue to stand the test of time, despite being added to the game with El Dorado back in February 2015. We have updated the designer with features as they have appeared, such as Consorts and ruler personalities, and updated the custom National Ideas as new modifiers have been added, but we feel there is still more that we can do.

In particular, myself and @Groogy have been looking at what we can do to boost the functionality of the custom nations feature, and something we both find lacking is that, while we have hundreds of sweet-looking unit models, there is no way to specify which ones your custom nation uses, leading to a fairly generic visual experience in battles. We may be dipping a bit into the HoI4 inspiration well with their way of previewing units for this.

unit previewer.jpg

In addition to a way to customize your unit models for your nation, I'd say we're due another pass of the available National Ideas for said custom nations. To the custom nation players out there, what would you really like to be able to tweak in your customized experience?

For those champing at the bit to see us move forward with development of the upcoming expansion, know that we are wrapping up this long period of tech debt. We have a couple more aspirations dev diaries to come, before we're likely going to return to our more regular dev diaries of showing off ongoing development.

Yes, but I am willing to bet that a lot of those games don't last very long. In fact, whenever I launch the game to test a mod I'm working on, my nation of choice for testing is Ming (because it's an ideas mod and Ming's -10% idea cost NI minimizes the necessary number of clicks), but none of those launches are actual games and none of them go for more than a few years.
I suspect they are pretty popular to play legitimately. Playing an OP nation is fun for a lot of people. I certainly enjoy it from time to time. Castile and France are the obvious choices for a fairly easy game plus a colonial empire (England would be up there except for the whole Hundred Years’ War which isn’t very easy to fight for a lot of players).

Ming I just hate playing with the Mandate. It is so bloody annoying.

What about modifiers that show the presence of a minority culture? Same for religion.

It would help make cultural and religious conversion more realistic. Something that is more long term and gradual.

It would be cool if the flag designer got a facelift. The current one and its random generation make dynamic nations unplayable, and the custom nation flags just end up looking choppy and their icons are off center in their smaller forms.

having different custom religions would be nice. there is Norse but no Saami religion, despite Lapland not being Christianized until well into the EU4 timeline (same for the Finnish hinterland to be honest).

Religious groups like the Cathars, Laestadians, as well as the Saami and Finnish native religions might be fun for custom nations. Cathars and Laestadians might be more feasible as not much is known of Finnic native religions that is not a modern neo-Pagan reconstruction.

Something I've wondered about, but haven't seen, is:- Can we please use the Custom Country Designer to modify countries - by starting from what they are now, and going from there, rather than just going from scratch? I know you can save some things, but (for example) I'd like to take an HRE OPM and modify it, while keeping the ruling family, culture, ideas etc intact and perhaps just amplify them a little. Too much to ask at this point?

I'd suggest
1. An option to toggle coring range when creating custom nations, I think it can can feel unnecessarily limiting, especially considering the base coring range is so low.
2. A way to create diplomatic relations, especially various subjects, I'd be cool to create very decentralized states this way.
3. This less important, but I'd be nice to be able to toggle being Emperor of the HRE, Emperor of China or Papal controller i the beginning of the game.

One Change i would like to see for Custom Nations would be to be able to just modify an existing Nation instead of making a new one, for example editing Venice to have Ragusa from the Start. I would be a Custom Nation for Achievements etc (so i couldnt get Venice Achievements) but i would have Venices Ideas, Events, etc. In my Example Ragusa would be counted as "Recently Conquered" from the moment the game starts (Having Separatism, a Ragusan Core etc.)

Sometimes when designing a costum nation, I wish I could set claims on a couple of provinces. I like starting as an OPM and finding my place in the world, but since costum nations only have generic missions, the claims would help emulating my countries rise back to power.

Edit: Costum religion, mission tree, government reforms and units would be damn cool as well!
Yes please!

Another idea: how about giving custom nations access to custom national mission trees? I guess letting you actually design a mission tree sounds like a work for a medium-sized expansion itself.
Would also be a good idea to then give us an easy way to Upload this Custom Nation with this Custom Mission tree to the Steam Workshop to share it with friends etc.

Wow! This has the potential to be great!

I was trying to make an alternate history (AH) map of Europe last night using the custom nation builder and here are my thoughts:

1. The player should have the option to have the point limit for custom nations or not. Limited point custom nations could be ironman compatible, unlimited point custom nations should not be ironman compatible. If I want to make an AH version of Europe with an Ottoman-like nation in Iberia and the south of France, then that should be a possibility and not limited by an arbitrary points system.

2. You should be able to save these custom nations or self-created AH scenarios in a separate folder. I think it was Civ 3 that had a 'World Builder' included where you could build your own worlds and save them to use or edit at a later date. EDIT: I mean before you start playing, so you don't have to create all your custom nations in one sitting.

3. You should be able to stack up to three modifiers in a single idea and allow players to write a description. For example, my surviving Iceni tribe should have an idea that has the modifiers; allow female generals, +1 leader shock, -10% recruitment time. I should then be able to write a little spiel about the legacy of Boudica assembling an army and hitting the Romans 1,000 years prior.

4. You should be able to write descriptions for your custom nations. I want to write a lengthy AH about how Carthage wasn't completely crushed by Rome and how some Carthaginians fled to the Canary Islands and later Brazil and that's why my custom nation in Brazil is how it is.

5. An option to upload an image as a flag, alongside the usual method would be nice.

6. It would be good to have the option of starting with a blank world map (or random map) so that you can 'paint' it with as many custom nations as you want. One aspect of making custom nations that I find annoying is that should you decide you want to play as a nation in the British Isles, for example, and you give this custom nation most of the English provinces... England still exists as its mainland possessions. You then either leave them or have to 'cover' them with a second custom nation because you can't give those provinces to France.

7. More cultures/religions/governments that weren't around in 1444. Again, you should be able to create an AH scenario where the Romans held out in Britain and so your custom nation can have Roman culture. Or maybe Christianity didn't spread into Scandinavia and they still worship Odin.

7.1. Perhaps customisable religion - type a name, pick a symbol from a set of symbols, pick two modifiers.
7.2. Perhaps customisable culture - type a name, pick which culture group the custom culture is part of, pick which real game culture determines ruler names

I think I'm really looking forward to this aspect of the update, because creating AHs is one of my favourite things to do. This make it possible without all that pesky game-play getting in the way. ;)
This!
Yes please!

What about modifiers that show the presence of a minority culture? Same for religion.

It would help make cultural and religious conversion more realistic. Something that is more long term and gradual.

I've said it once, I'll say it a thousand times: modifiers is a downright abysmal way to go about implementing that. It works swell when you have one minority, but it rapidly decreases in effectiveness when you start having two or three or four minorities in one province, or even when you have no majority - merely a plurality. All of these are situations that are likely to take place once you start accounting for minorities at all, especially at places where both cultures and religions intersect at once. Thrace, Alsace-Lorraine, Lithuania, Pakistan, all are going to be hotbeds of having many minorities. And it's going to very quickly get extremely complicated to keep track of.

The reason why I will always argue for pops is that they scale so much better in that situation. Even without getting into any other benefits they offer (such as, it being easier to track where minorities are immigrating from and to). Yes, you have to do all the work of figuring out how the formula should be balanced for tax income and manpower and yada yada yada upfront, but once you figure it out you never have extra work to do. You just have that formula and leave it alone. It doesn't matter whether you're the same culture or different, the same religion or different, whether there is one minority or twelve. You have one formula that accounts for every possible thing that each pop could have tracked, and you just apply it as many times as need be. No need for a separate modifier for every single minority combination in the province. It's easy and intuitive for the player to follow to give them one thing to keep track of and know that no matter the situation, the exact same thing will apply no matter what.

Anywho, not to go off on a rant about things that the dev diary aren't about, and that have been discussed at length elsewhere anyway, but people's lack of concern about just reusing mechanics where they don't apply well just doesn't sit well with me. Any craftsman will tell you to use the right tool for the right job.

Good day all. Today's a fairly brief Dev Diary, even by recent standards, as two of the five previous workdays were swallowed whole by Sweden's love for public holidays. To that end, I hope a good Easter day was had by all.

Last week I went over some Quality of Life suggestions that came up internally, and today I want to touch on one in particular detail. Again, these are not iron-clad promises of things to come. They are certainly improvements that we desire to make for the game, but or not that translates to being in our upcoming European Expansion and its accompanying update is for reality to dictate.

I mentioned at the end-of-year dev diary before that improving Custom Nation options was something we would like to achieve in said European release. Now a question that may come to mind is why this would be on the radar for our European expansion. Well Custom Nations remain one of the most popular choice for players. It has spent plenty of time as the number one choice in the past, although in the past months it has been playing second fiddle to France, see our handy nations chart:

View attachment 473429
No huge surprises here, except perhaps that England have fallen from grace, as they used to consistently be near the very top. These are most fun to observe when a release is done for a certain area, such as Rule Britannia, where England spiked like crazy.

What we see is that custom nations (D00 here) continue to stand the test of time, despite being added to the game with El Dorado back in February 2015. We have updated the designer with features as they have appeared, such as Consorts and ruler personalities, and updated the custom National Ideas as new modifiers have been added, but we feel there is still more that we can do.

In particular, myself and @Groogy have been looking at what we can do to boost the functionality of the custom nations feature, and something we both find lacking is that, while we have hundreds of sweet-looking unit models, there is no way to specify which ones your custom nation uses, leading to a fairly generic visual experience in battles. We may be dipping a bit into the HoI4 inspiration well with their way of previewing units for this.

View attachment 473430

In addition to a way to customize your unit models for your nation, I'd say we're due another pass of the available National Ideas for said custom nations. To the custom nation players out there, what would you really like to be able to tweak in your customized experience?

For those champing at the bit to see us move forward with development of the upcoming expansion, know that we are wrapping up this long period of tech debt. We have a couple more aspirations dev diaries to come, before we're likely going to return to our more regular dev diaries of showing off ongoing development.
If you're looking at custom nations again, PLEASE give people the option to allow custom nations to form new tags.