• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi everyone, and welcome to another Europa Universalis IV development diary. Today we’ll take a look at five new features which will be in the new Rights of Man expansion.

First of all.. Disinherit!
eu4_41.png

Now when you have these no good heirs, like a certain prince of Castille, you now have an option to deal with them. At any time, if your prestige is positive, you can chose to disinherit your current heir, for a mere cost of 50 prestige. Now we like to think of it as the heir becoming a happy farmer somewhere, but the people in the iron-mask industry need employment after all. The drawback of disinheriting, besides losing 50 prestige, is the fact that you will be without an heir after it..

The second feature is the Prussian Monarchy, a rather cool special government.
eu4_40.png

Whenever you form Prussia, you will change into a Prussian Monarchy, a government that was describes as an army with a state, not as a state with an army. So what does the Prussian Monarchy give you. Well, first of all, all Prussian Rulers will have a minimum of 3 in MIL. This alone gives you more military monarch power to spend on policies, ideas & technology on average. The government form in itself reduces unrest by 2 and war exhaustion by 0.02 each month, with autonomy reduction based on the rank.

The coolest part of this government form is the fact that it is a militarised society. This has a rating of 0-100%, where army tradition and legitimacy increases it, while each province you own decrease it. You can also at any time spend 50 military power to gain 10 militarization.

At 100 % militarized society, you gain +10% discipline, 33% cheaper army maintenance and 33% quicker manpower recovery.

Prussia with Rights of Man will be a taller state, that can punch far above its weight, and require a bit of a different playing strategie.

Our third feature is Strengthen Government.
eu4_42.png

This is basically an ability to have greater control of your government. For a mere 100 military power, you can at any time boost your legitimacy, devotion, horde unity or republican tradition. Republican Tradition is increased by 3%, while all the other is increased by 10.

The fourth feature of today is Abandon Personal Union.
eu4_44.png

This is a new diplomatic action, which is available for the senior in a personal union. Sometimes a union is not worth keeping, as the risks of a dangerous war may be too high, or you know they will win an independence war anyway. The overlord will lose some prestige, and depending on the subjects liberty desire, they will not even dislike you for giving them freedom.

And the fifth and final feature is Debase Currency.
eu4_43.png

This is a possibility to quickly get some money, without any interest to pay back, or other immediate drawbacks.. Except … for some minor corruption..

Basically, you get a free loan amount of money for just 2 corruption.

----------------

And as a free feature, as a apart of the 1.18-Prussia patch, we’re adding over 20 new DHE just for Prussia & Brandenburg, putting them on par with other tier 1 nations..

Next week, Jake will talk about the changes to Revolutionary Republics.

just to put it in perspective, if i understand correctly, you get 179g and have to pay ~28.8*24=691g (full income, per month, to reduce 1% per year), assuming no other corruption reducing factors. advantage over loans being if you're ahead in tech and positive stability (??).

don't know what to say about that.
Not (monthly income)*24

Instead, 0.05*(effective development)*24

Reactions:
By the way, weren't we supposed to learn about the new Revolutionary Republic factions?

the ability to boost Legitimacy would suddenly make weak heirs much less annoying in that if they got strong enough stats, they're effectively 'merely' costs a load of Monarch points instead of costing several years of being highly cautious of revolts (which would probably cost more monarch points to suppress)

Reactions:
Yes, but there are plenty of ways to decrease Corruption without paying money, being ahead of tech, espionage ideas, events.

Also, how much discipline can Prussia have right now? Around 147.5? Without events of course.
100% Base
105% Advisor
110% Absolute Monarchy
120% Ambitions + Protestant perk (7.5+2.5)
130% Offensive + Full Quality
135% Weapon Quality Standard policy
145% Prussian Monarchy maxed

I don't remember events, but there are some with +5% and +10% discipline. Imagine 155% Prussian army with Innovative, Economic, Quality, Offensive, Defensive.
Can't get Absolute monarchy bonus and Prussian monarchy bonus. And the ambition will be nerfed to 5%.

Reactions:
Now when you have these no good heirs, like a certain prince of Castille, you now have an option to deal with them. At any time, if your prestige is positive, you can chose to disinherit your current heir, for a mere cost of 50 prestige. Now we like to think of it as the heir becoming a happy farmer somewhere, but the people in the iron-mask industry need employment after all. The drawback of disinheriting, besides losing 50 prestige, is the fact that you will be without an heir after it.

If this doesn't get re-balanced, I don't think I'll have have a 2/2/2 or worse monarch ever again. There was already a thread about this, how it seems remarkably easy and cheesy. At the very least, you should also lose the large majority of legitimacy.

This RNG reroll feature doesn't seem consistent for the studio that removed the "kill for cash" filicide option from CK2.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Agree with all the other posters, that it seems super weird that you gain corruption and not inflation for debasing, especially since it means it's a combo with Espionnage and not Economic ideas...

Reactions:
I have to say that debasing currency not generating inflation is a strange logic, when we actually have inflation as a concept in the game.

Inflation is the direct, immediate and mechanical impact of debasing currency. One can argue that it also generates some corruption, but that is more indirect and not so obvious.

I suspect (and this is total speculation on my part) that a rework of the loan system may be in the pipeline). @DDRJake isn't a fan of them.

I kinda like the idea of tying the ability to take loans to the Renaissance institution. I would bring back a slider for tax (possibly with limitations on how frequently you can change it and/or can magnitude of those changes. Low taxes would give unrest reduction and vice versa. Then with loans I would reduce or remove the impact on inflation but would increase th interest rate instead, with the ra determined when by how indebted you already are. I would change bankruptcy so that you suffer big prestige loss and loans become way more expensive (this effect to dissipate over time) and mercs become way more expensive to hire). Remove effect on army morale.

And as suggested above. Debase ought to be the mechanic by which inflation is increased.

Reactions:
Good additions, especially the unique Prussian monarchy, but I'm still unsure about the -50 prestige hit and then hoping you even get an heir, I just feel that disinheriting your 1/2/1 heir and then ending up with a 0/0/0 or a regency will only encourage save scumming, I wish it was deeper. While I'm fine with imbeciles like Enrique and Henry meekly retiring to a farm, monastery or cell I think a stronger heir should have the possibility to rally support and fight for their right to return and inherit the throne, I would probably welcome their return if their replacement is worse.

A minor thing, different icons for disinheriting and abdicating would be nice. I also hope more will be done with the new Government tab in the future and we might get more unique monarchies and features, it has the space now.

Reactions:
I thought the thread about the Prussian government was a joke thread with badly photoshopped pictures... Seriously, I find the idea of giving single tags unique governments, when in reality they fit a far broader group of tags, simply ridiculous. Not only that, Prussia doesn't deserve its own government at all! What Prussia was exceptional for was introduction of innovative military reforms before anyone else, but it wasn't that long before the rest caught up.

Reactions: