• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Development Diary #1: Welcome to the Chinese Room

This is Studio Design Director Alex Skidmore from The Chinese Room; excited to finally be able to say this out loud. I'm writing today to introduce you to our studio, its history and, in the future, the people behind making Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2.

The Chinese Room is the award-winning studio focused on telling grounded, believable and rich stories - these are the traditions behind our ground-breaking games in our portfolio, like Dear Esther and the internationally acclaimed Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. Over 100 talented game developers were all drawn here by a passion for the kind of storytelling we do. We also have a strong history of supporting diversity in our development team and our games.

In early 2020, we moved to our studio in sunny Brighton and built our award-winning mobile game Little Orpheus… a warmup for the ambitious titles ahead. Later the same year, the company moved to two narrative-focused projects, Still Wakes the Deep and V:tM - Bloodlines 2. Still Wakes the Deep builds on The Chinese Room’s heritage, and Bloodlines 2 is about looking to the future for our games, taking a big leap forward into the action role-playing genre while bringing our narrative expertise to bear.

Check out this introduction video for a behind-the-scenes look at The Chinese Room and the people making Bloodlines 2.

Making Bloodlines 2
A look at TCR's portfolio shows believability is the basis for any of our game worlds, allowing greater immersion. Vampire: The Masquerade’s origins as a TTRPG and broad transmedia portfolio gave us this foundation of believability from the get-go. We love how it lets you express your monster in a world full of supernatural secrets. That just fits our style of storytelling. Bloodlines 2 asks us to believe that blood-sucking monsters could inhabit our world, that you are one of them and how would you deal with that world while navigating the darkness within. Bloodlines 2 is designed with a balance of roleplaying game and adventure story. A compelling and rich plot you’d expect from an adventure game, but with RPG agency allowing you to act out your vampire fantasy.

The city of Seattle will open up lots of opportunities.
image1.jpg

Throughout development, we’ve been regulars in Stockholm at World of Darkness HQ to discuss and align the opportunities for stories, characters, gameplay and crossovers that this IP gives us as creators and fans. We’re thrilled to bring World of Darkness off the page and character sheets and into an Action-RPG video game.

Check out the announcement trailer here.
Feel Like a Vampire
While making decisions about Bloodlines 2, one constant reference is our first game pillar: “Feel like a Vampire”. Everything you do in this game should make you feel like a predator of the night.

In video games, we often get to be a mighty hero fighting against the darkness. Vampires, especially as playable characters, are underrepresented. We’re building the game around the experience of doing things only a Kindred can. With non-combat gameplay, we found early on we were doing the RPG tropes: find a keycard to open a door, turn on a generator to restore power to a lift. We put in a rule that the non-combat gameplay should be about something only a vampire could do; keep it aspirational.

When we were exploring combat, it started off playing like Dishonored (which we love), but that didn’t feel right for a vampire: players were very cautious and afraid of the enemies they encountered. To us, a Kindred should stalk its prey and strike fearlessly like a predator. We want to build an action experience where players feel confident, almost trolling the enemies with their disciplines. Testers use the phrase “playing with your food,” which we love and illustrates how we think a Vampire: The Masquerade ARPG should feel has come up in playthroughs.

The look of a powerful vampire.
image3.png

Most action games offer a power fantasy; I like to call ours a confidence fantasy. When you have a supernatural edge and immortality to back you up, there should be a sense of “I know what is going on and, I can control this situation.” We want to give you the tools to do that in combat, conversations, or travelling across the city. When they come together, you should be immersed in the feeling of being a Vampire.

We have two more game pillars. “Visceral, Immersive Combat” and “Exploring the World of Darkness”. We’ll explore these in-depth later down the line.

We look forward to telling you more. Until then, good night!
Alex Skidmore, Studio Design Director

What’s next?
We’re all working hard to make this game amazing because we love Vampire: The Masquerade and the chance to tell impactful stories. We know you’ve been waiting a while, so we’re dedicated to honesty and keeping you informed. Together with Paradox, we will give you as much info about the game as we can without spoilers and always tell you when the next update will happen and what it will be about.

Our next Dev Diary will be about the “Narrative Themes and Atmosphere.” You will learn more about our Neo-Noir thriller story and how the World of Darkness threatens to spill over into the mortal world… In just two weeks!

• 34Like
  • 10Love
Reactions:
Combat is not what most people care about in VTMB or it's sequel. The fact that this is what keeps getting discussed is not going to gin up much interest. Without the original writers I don't see how the demented characters, Malkavian insanity and so on from the first game will be reproduced. I'm expecting a pretty milk toast story.

Reactions:
Fantastic news to see this game rolling again! Thank you.
How will the game reflect the changing WoD lore/setting since the initial development?

I'll echo above as well, WoD isn't about combat, it's about the characters, lore, weirdness and above all (not in a bad way) aesthetic/vibes. If the game nails that it knocks out of the park, bloodlines 1 isn't memorable for it's combat but it's dedication to the VtM world, it's aesthetic, style, characters and wacky darkness

Reactions:
Combat is not what most people care about in VTMB or it's sequel. The fact that this is what keeps getting discussed is not going to gin up much interest. Without the original writers I don't see how the demented characters, Malkavian insanity and so on from the first game will be reproduced. I'm expecting a pretty milk toast story.
While I agree with you about what makes WoD into WoD I think you're overestimating the need for the original writers for a sequal. George Lucas for example made Star Wars Episodes IV-VI but many years later he also made the Episodes I-III. Same guy, same setting but not the same level of work. That the original writers would be able to make stuff at the same level in 2023/2024 like they did 20 years earlier is not by any means a given.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Our next Dev Diary will be about the “Narrative Themes and Atmosphere.” You will learn more about our Neo-Noir thriller story and how the World of Darkness threatens to spill over into the mortal world… In just two weeks!
Looking forward for this ...
Lets hope we get some explanation why Chineese Room decided to make us Elder, rather than New Vampire. o_O

Reactions:
VtM doesn't have original writers? bloodlines did but it was cribbing from the splat books and old novels and oceans of EU texts it'd be weird to be treating it as an origin point for VtM tone, characters and style?

...Because Bloodlines was famously based around keycards and generators quests and all it needed was more "visceral, immersive combat". :rolleyes: Congrats! You really NAILED the vibe!

What's next? An upgrade tree to unlock combat abilities? Crafting? Stamina bar? Levels?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Recently we saw an example of a studio biting off more than they could chew with Daedalic making the infamous gollum game after only working and graphic adventure games.
As a studio that's pretty much worked only on atmospheric walking sims, how can you assure us that you are capable of the step up to making an action-RPG with immersive sim elements?
like they will even comment on this lol...

I am glad we're getting DDs for this game and I look forward to following them.

I do hope, though, that future DDs are more specific about the actual content of the game and feel somewhat less like a press release.

Personally, I'm unsure about the game pillars. "Feel like a Vampire" sounds like a power fantasy, and while power fantasies can be super fun, I'm nervous that we might wind up missing the existential horror that's so integral to WoD. Will the player be encouraged to do things that should cost humanity points, for the sake of the facilitating a power fantasy? How is the Beast handled?

"Visceral, Immersive Combat"? Eh, sure, I guess. I'll be relieved if the combat isn't actively terrible, but it's hardly the focus for this sort of game.

"Exploring the World of Darkness" makes me feel like I'm going to be forced to listen to an explanation of what 'kindred' are, and how the clans differ, for what will feel like the millionth time. If handled well though, I can imagine some really engaging exploration of the deeper lore for those of us who care to find it. I'd love to hear more from the devs on what they plan to do with this pillar for already existing fans.

"We’re thrilled to bring World of Darkness off the page and character sheets and into an Action-RPG video game" worries me. How can a game possibly be an RPG without a character sheet? Even Skyrim has a character sheet. How on rails will this experience be? What exactly makes it an RPG? (And no, the mere existence of a playable character doesn't make a game an RPG.)

"Neo-Noir thriller story" sounds good, and I look forward to learning more. I also much prefer the vibe of the second screenshot (brooding woman) to the first (nondescript street with snow). I've been left a bit cold by all the 'snow in Seattle' screenshots, so I hope to see more atmosphere and character to future promotional materials.

I hope the game does well and I wish the team the best. I won't be ordering until I've seen enough to convince me that the game is centred around - and delivers - rock-solid storytelling. Realistically, given Paradox's recent track record, I won't be satisfied of this until I've read post-release reviews.

Last edited:
Reactions:
While I agree with you about what makes WoD into WoD I think you're overestimating the need for the original writers for a sequal. George Lucas for example made Star Wars Episodes IV-VI but many years later he also made the Episodes I-III. Same guy, same setting but not the same level of work. That the original writers would be able to make stuff at the same level in 2023/2024 like they did 20 years earlier is not by any means a given.
It is possible we'll be surprised, but when all I hear about is combat and the awesome combat powahs I am not particularly left with much hope. The fact that this forum is almost dead (hardly anyone seems to care and posting is non-existent) shows I'm not the only one who isn't expecting much.

Certain "defenders" are responding "Hey man it's only the beginning yadda yadda"... I don't care. If the game is a year off then we are far enough into development that they can talk about the RPG mechanics and how this game is in line with the original. None of that requires spoiling the story.

It is true you don't need to be the original writing team to make a good sequel, but you do need a writing team with the same skill level and dark bent as the original to maintain consistency of quality/tone. I have not seen any demonstration of that yet. Whatever may have gone wrong with HSL, Brian Mitsoda was clearly writing a game in the same tone as the original.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It is possible we'll be surprised, but when all I hear about is combat and the awesome combat powahs I am not particularly left with much hope. The fact that this forum is almost dead (hardly anyone seems to care and posting is non-existent) shows I'm not the only one who isn't expecting much.

Certain "defenders" are responding "Hey man it's only the beginning yadda yadda"... I don't care. If the game is a year off then we are far enough into development that they can talk about the RPG mechanics and how this game is in line with the original. None of that requires spoiling the story.

It is true you don't need to be the original writing team to make a good sequel, but you do need a writing team with the same skill level and dark bent as the original to maintain consistency of quality/tone. I have not seen any demonstration of that yet. Whatever may have gone wrong with HSL, Brian Mitsoda was clearly writing a game in the same tone as the original.
Your complaint might be true, but there is literally no information for tone/story yet. Next DD we get that stuff.

Will I get the game? Not sure yet. Do I want to continue to see DD to find out? Yes! Does part of that include get DD on how combat will work? Also yes. In Bloodline, the combat is so bad that the patch lets you just skip to whole sewer run. How much better if you could also enjoy those parts fully?

• 1Like
Reactions:
The fact that this forum is almost dead (hardly anyone seems to care and posting is non-existent) shows I'm not the only one who isn't expecting much.
I believe that most former Forum users moved towards Discord ...
This forum was after all completely locked for few years now, so ... people just moved on, either to different projects, or just to different platforms.

I admit too I dont really care about combat gameplay in RPG games in general. Sure its great when combat is good. But unless it is truly terrible I dont mind. Most of the times I play on the lowest difficulty or at least the difficulty level in which I am not killed every 10 seconds while playing casually. To me the writings, the atmosphere and how much role playing is possible is what truly matter in RPG games.

I admit I am a bit confused about what happened around this game. Even combat does not seem to have changed that much compared what had done the previous studio even as it was the primary concerned raised by reviewers. I mean it will still be about a mix of melee fighting and vampire magic in first person right ? I dont understand the obsure communication around it.

I am a bit sad the thin blood idea was skipped. I am not familiar with the IP so it sounded like a good introduction. I liked too the idea of living through the horror of becoming a vampire. It sounded different from the usual power creep in RPGs. On the other hand I suppose the "elder" thing can work as a good excuse to immediately get strong combat capabilities rights from the start. So we skip the usual early game when all we can do are basic attacks.

Starting out as a 300yo elder, rather than a fledgling? An interesting decision that no doubt will have an impact on just about every aspect of the game.

The original concept sounded like playing something like Mark of the Ninja or The Ship. This reminds me more of my brigand characters on Mount & Blade, terrorizing a particular faction (Rhodoks in 1, Vlandia in 2, and the Oda clan in Sengoku) and carefully evading larger armies (but destroying them if they have been weakened).