• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Development Diary #2: Narrative Atmosphere and Themes

Hello! I’m Sarah Longthorne, Senior Narrative Designer and Writer. Today, we’re discussing the narrative in Bloodlines 2 from a sky-high perspective. What are the conflicts and challenges in Seattle’s Court and, how will they affect you?

Samson In Chains​

The story of Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2 is, at its cold, unbeating heart, about control: the amount and kind of control you have over others, the control they exert over you in turn, and the control you lose—and slowly regain—over yourself… and your fate.

You wake trapped in Seattle, the full extent of your power artificially suppressed—diminished to a mere pawn, to be used and exploited. After all, what are others if not our most disposable assets?

And what better asset than a leashed and muzzled Elder?

Our main NPC characters like Lou, Ryong, and Tolly all have their own agenda that your involvement could greatly advance.

It might not be in your best interest to bite every hand that seeks to bring you to heel, but to pick and choose, to play along—to bide your time. Or not. That much, darling, is down to you.

Neo-Noir​

Neo-Noir blurs the lines of morality and explores themes like revenge, paranoia, alienation. All of which perfectly encapsulate a Kindred’s existence, especially when you consider that neo-noir stories are often driven by nihilistic, morally gray antiheroes. Hello, Kindred!

image (8).png

We love Tolly. There is nothing sinister about this man.

We focus on character, who knows what and who has the power in any given situation, and how the player can use that to their advantage. No one in Bloodlines 2 knows everything about everything, as much as they might pretend. So, how the player navigates these alliances and goes about learning new information makes the player feel like they are investigating a complex web of lies. We try to ensure that the player feels in control of the information that they know, who they share those secrets with, and why.

What happens to an Elder?​

One of our early design decisions was to make the player character into an Elder Kindred. This was interesting to us because it means that we can play with how this established vampire knows things about being a Kindred already and how we can create gaps to let the player learn this type of information firsthand. Balancing the opportunity and the history it entails with the desire to allow players to still roleplay and make the character their own. It was extremely challenging but fun!

Newscreenshot_dd2_2.png

Kindred do not relate to each other the way that we do, especially extremely old Kindred, like our protagonist. They don’t have ‘friends’, for instance – everything is about power and possession, which are the antithesis of any genuine connection. It’s a challenge to try and disconnect from how we might view a thing and step into that mindset in order to properly represent it. You have to lean first on making that character interesting to learn about and spend time with – you cannot expect players to initially identify with them, or maybe even like them. It takes finesse to balance that, to zoom out and find the broader, more universal entry points that might encourage players to feel like they can identify with that character.

image-67.png

Humanity is something distant, so what does that make humans to you? Centuries of existence can be tough on a person who can only feed on others. Are they just something to be consumed, or is it possible to have trust and kinship? Is everyone just a chess piece or a trophy?

All these questions and more are what we’re asking about your character and the NPCs that star in Bloodlines 2.

We’ll see you back in two weeks for our next Dev Diary when we’ll explore the Neo-Noir art style.

• 20Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
Wasn't sure about it at first but being a muzzled elder brought out from cold storage does seem like an interesting setup.
lecter.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Is that me being regrettably thick or does this Dev Diary say just about ... nothing whatsoever?

I mean it's a dev diary about the narrative, so they can't really tell us much without spoilers.

But the interesting bits to me were that people have control over you at the start and that your task is to navigate vampire politics to break free.

And that they will try to avoid the standard rpg dialog system, where your character suddenly blurts out a secret without you intending to do so.

• 8Like
Reactions:
But the interesting bits to me were that people have control over you at the start and that your task is to navigate vampire politics to break free.
I suppose given that you are an elder and there were worries about the power fantasy this makes some sense but on the other hand, it's very, very basic. Yes, typically, you start your heroe's journey with other people influencing you and as you gain power this changes, that tends to be how game stories works, yes indeed (I do hope it's something akin to Geneforge 5, in which you wake up and immediately learn that somebody has put a bomb into your body, and if you don't keep doing what they like you'll explode all over the place). But, again, really light on any details ;) No real examples, nothing about, I don't know, perhaps some stylistic examples, or quest structures, or main story vs side questing, or (narrative) character building ... who knows. Most of it is generally "it's a World of Darkness vampire game, did you know that?" Yes we did. And a bit of repeat of previous interview stuff.

And that they will try to avoid the standard rpg dialog system, where your character suddenly blurts out a secret without you intending to do so.
Indeed, perhaps the most interesting bit, I'd say, but again, doesn't give any sense of the scope of this, or the way of implementation, or ... anything much really, except that it's one "RPG issue" they are sorta aware of (e: I remember Toady (of Dwarf Fortress fame) once given some hours long talk about lying in games and the complications of such ... I mean, you can talk with substance about these sort of things ^^).

I don't know, maybe I'm "spoiled" by the other PDX dev diaries which tend to be very much "okay, this is what we want to do, these are the things we'll implement to make them happen" - and I tend to be critical of those too, because they emphasize all the (supposedly) good stuff they are doing without going into the challenges or possible problems, usually. But at least what they say is something specific that allows a player to go "aha, that sounds good, if it does actually work like that" or "oh ... no ... that's going in the wrong direction ..." ^^

• 1Like
Reactions:
But, again, really light on any details ;) No real examples, nothing about, I don't know, perhaps some stylistic examples, or quest structures, or main story vs side questing, or (narrative) character building ... who knows.
It's almost like this is only DD #2 and many are still to come where they can provide all that detail after laying out all the foundational elements they're going for. Would be crazy if that was true, though.

Reactions:
I think it's a great idea, tho I do worry it'll form a barrier to connecting /RPing as the character for players who are aren't WoD nerds? If you pull it off it'll be amazing!
I think it could be cool to learn the world, not through learning about it as new, but learning how it's changed in the centuries since putting a unique lens on it

Will there be Nagaraja, Maeghar, Hectata, Ministry and etc characters in game, or only from the big main bloodlines?

Is that me being regrettably thick or does this Dev Diary say just about ... nothing whatsoever?
I have the same feeling.

---

Also, im a bit confused with the game tone ...

On one hand, we were told (repeately now) that we will play as a "Elder Vampire" ... what does it mean to be "Elder Vampire"?
To me ... it means you have experience, probably some domain to call your own, allies (Or at least not direct enemies, what is the word? Asets?), influence (political, economical, social, all of them, doesnt really matter) and powerfull disciplines ... that is what makes an "Elder Vampire" i would dare to say ...
And yet ...
As it seems we would have litteraly none of it ... so what exactly makes us "Elder" ... or even better how should we even feel like an "Elder"? :D

I presume our character will become stronger overtime, during the game ...
But again, thats exactly what happened to our character in VtM:Bloodlines ... and i never felt like i play an "Elder" ... i know the sense of time was basicaly absent in that game, but it allways felt like my characters are (few) week(s) old top. :D

So ... sory, but yeah, kinda dissapoinging DD ...

I was hoping to learn two things here:
1) How developers plan to make us feel like an Elder (or at least what does that word even mean to them, since our definition are clearly different).
2) Why they decided to scrap the Thin-Blood idea.

Instead i learned that it seems like Seattle Elders somehow resisted Beckoning. o_O
And that there is some "artificial means to strip Elders of all that makes them Elder ... maybe except their age". o_O

So in conclusion ... and yes, im fully aware that is too soon for final judgement, concider what im going to say now to be "ongoing feeling" i have about this project ... i feel like this game will either cause lots of problems in established lore ... or ignore it completely. :-/

Ergo (yes, i said it just so i dont repeat "so" for X-th time :D ) instead of "yay Bloodlines" ... my mind is still set on "m-hm ... something is going on there, and i dont like the vibe it sends".
Am i alone in this?

• 1Love
Reactions:
...so what exactly makes us "Elder"

Age, the duration of one's vampiric existence as well as past experience.

It's also a convenient way to explain how you "level up" so fast. A vamp's power is very age and generation based which is why Bloodlines 1 tried to point out how uncommonly powerful that game's protagonist was because it made no sense for a fledgeling to be killing princes and their bodyguards several days after turning and some theorized that Cain was empowering them.

I'm imaging Elder means, you've been asleep since the middle ages or something? That'd combine with the 'feel like a vampire' descriptions from the last DD, the whole, old vampire in a new world thing that many vampire stories do. Slightly worried it'll mean like, an antediluvian or something lore bending but I feel if that was the case they'd have said it.
VtM is full of vamps who torpor for a century or two and wake up to go, what do you mean my slaves have moved to america, what's an america? and have to navigate a world they don't understand where all their friends have forgotten them, but their enemies remember.. That'd be 'feeling like a vampire'

"Elder Vampire" ... what does it mean to be "Elder Vampire"?

From WoD wiki says about 300 years of life.

The fledgling power in original VtM:B never made sense. Just accepted as good video game practice even if lore breaking.

As for what could cause it, the people with more lore knowledge put forward basically three ideas that made sense to me, due to resisting beckoning would reduce power (sounded least likely due to not trapped powers), thaumaturgy (magic is always an answer), or tech from second inquisition. Could be something else entirely.

I would not expect to be told what is keeping powers trapped as would spoil the story very likely. Would hope part of the game is manipulating a faction(s) into learn what is keeping out down. Than working to remove and take revenge for it.

Overall the DD leaves me feeling hopeful on the basics of were the game started the narrative structure from. Really looking forward into how actual game mechanics will work, as what personally for me when be a deciding factor on when/if I by the game.

Thats not excactly what i meaned by that question.

I mean ... we were supposed to be Thin-Blood, who would become full Vampire (ergo gain power) ...
Instead ... we are power stripped Elder, who will regain his power back ...

My question is: What the hells is the difference? :D

I mean ... we were supposed to be Thin-Blood, who would become full Vampire (ergo gain power) ...

I believe the difference is people are fed up with amnesia sic. In RPGs

Gaining power again is somewhat an amnesia route.

Reactions:

The difference is unless the game time would be hundreds of years long, you would never be able to develop those powers, where an elder could have them and need to remove the blockers. If it wasn't based in the WoD wouldn't matter much, but to stick to the lore it does.

Though the question I have now. Is will the protagonist have memory loss or will just have to learn the modern age?

The difference is unless the game time would be hundreds of years long, you would never be able to develop those powers,
It seems like we have read different lore. :)

As far as i know ... diablerie is lore friendly way to get exactly that. o_O

will the protagonist have memory loss or will just have to learn the modern age?
Good question ...

I would like to add up my own, that i hinted previously ... how about WoD stuff? I mean, our Elder should know what clans, disciplines, traditions, domains, and other stuff are ...
But new players wouldnt ... i wonder how that will be dealt with.

Reactions:
As far as i know ... diablerie is lore friendly way to get exactly that.
From my understanding it would lower you one generation most the time. Sometimes more, but only in extreme differences. Would still have to somehow pull that off multiple times than. Could work, but just different story.

I really don't care either way. They went elder route. Maybe if the game is successful enough, we can get a thin-blood game.

Hopefully get some guidance in later DD. Really want like a mechanics DD that focus on systems humility, masquerade violations, skill unlock/increases, etc. Likely not getting that information until way closer to launch. Don't Cyperpunk2077 and say mechanics before that don't make release.

Thats fair ...
Me ... im infinite sceptic right now.

Call me ungratefull, maybe i am ... but im quite honestly unable to wonder how many things they are talking about as "their work" ... was actually done by HSL. :-/
And yes, im aware that i will never know.

Fun fact tho: Im not really sure wich outcome i would preffer ... since i dont want the game to differ too much from what original writers (especialy one of them, duh) intended ... on the other hand tho, i dont want new studio to take all credit for someone else work. :-/

So far, we have this very vague plot mechanic ... wich sounds to me like exactly the same with two swapped words.

And 3 characters ... not sure about the business lady in black ... but the rest two we allready knew ...

So ...
So far im not really convinced that Chineese Room deserves all the praise ... i hope i will be prooven wrong rather sooner than later. :)

• 1Like
Reactions: