• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Greetings, fellow crusaders!

In this Dev Diary we’ll give a brief insight in how the CK2 QA team works and functions.

The team consists of myself (Servancour), PeterSkager, rageair and Leo Larsson. I’ve been here the longest and have been at Paradox for close to two years now, and so far it’s been a blast! We’re a close-knit team and work very well together, each and every one specializing in different types of gameplay.

As a team, we work very closely with the developers and attend all sorts of meetings to ensure that we stay up to date with the game. When you work with QA you need to know almost everything about the game, from overarching design to the smaller details of specific features. It’s challenging but also very rewarding.

While our primary responsibility may be to test the game, it’s not the only one. Many believe that the life of a QA only consists of reporting bugs, but it’s actually much more than that. We’re responsible for ensuring the overall quality of the product, by providing constant feedback, voice concerns where needed, comment on design and suggest improvements in order to make the game both better and more accessible!

Something we do every now and then when there’s new features to test is to simply play the game in order to get a feel for how to play with them. We usually test a variety of different scenarios, with varying start dates and setups, where we play for anything between a few years to several centuries. Sometimes we play for just a few hours, other times we have the campaigns going over the course of a few days, all while we gather feedback and impressions to the developers. This type of testing allows us to get a more accurate representation on how the game actually plays to find issues you wouldn’t find in a few minutes of playtime. Sometimes we even start using the same scenario just to see how far we can deviate from each other as we use very different playstyles. We believe that having many eyes on the same problem yield the best results.

We’re extremely passionate about the game. Each and every one of us here at the CK2 QA team has played the game for anything between a few hundred to several thousand hours and most of it has been purely for our own enjoyment. I myself play the game regularly outside of work and in my latest campaign I started off as Charlemagne himself, culture switched to German and created the Holy Roman Empire! I’m almost done with it though, with just the last hundred years or so left before the end date. My current ruler is Kaiserin Amalia “The Hammer”, ruling over Europe with an iron fist!

This passion also motivates us to not only ensure that the game performs well from a professional standpoint, but also from the perspective of a player. This causes us to often go above and beyond our ordinary tasks! We at QA has, on occasion, contributed with content to the game. Often to ensure that each and every part of the game feels like a quality experience. For example; we’ve created events to enhance certain aspects of the game (see the Sky Burial and Master Wrestling event chains) and even created art in the form of the Nomadic CoA’s introduced in Horse Lords.

I hope you gained some useful insight in how we approach CK2 from the QA team, and that we work hard to give you, the fans, a product that you deserve. Since we at QA love quality of life improvements, I’ll wrap this up by showing you the following screenshot of a previous feature we are extending somewhat:

ck2_diary_screen.jpg

Thanks for the DD!

And the sub-dynasties map mode is awesome. You must have read my mind, I was actually wishing for exactly this feature when playing the other night. Cool, really cool, now we can see the dynasty distribution in the realm.

Reactions:
Cheers for the DD Servancour, and thanks for your and your teams' good work :). I play a bunch of games, and PDS' strategy titles are amongst the best when it comes to quality on release these days (a far cry from life playing PDS games from HoI3 and earlier). Great to have some insight into how you do things, keep up the good work :).

Reactions:
Anyone else notice what appears to be Kingdom-level Tuscany and Verona for what clearly wouldn't be Kingdom-size otherwise? Maybe CK2+ style Grand Duchies?

Between the enhanced dynastic the view, the tweaks to alliances (we know they're doing something with alliances, but we don't know what), and the fact that this expansion is something Groogy (or was it Doomdark?) has wanted to do for a long time, I wonder if this xpac could be cadet branches?

Hmm, a realm's sub-dynasties are now visible for people of that realm? Neat, I guess.
TBH, that's a feature I've been wanting for a long time. It's nice that they finally did it.

'Dev diary' eh? I do appreciate giving us an insight about Paradox teams work, and this was a good diary and I thank you for that. Still, I'll keep waiting for a real one without any complaint. :)

Wait, are you guys changing the colour of ERE again? :eek:

@Servancour: Do you do any automated testing? If so, I'd be curious to hear about that.

How much of CK2 testing is done with automated unit/integration tests and how much is left to human QA testers?

At the moment, we don't do a lot of automated testing. But this is definitely something we are looking to do much more in the future in order help us out with some of the more basic testing procedures.

Hi @Servancour , thanks for the DD. I had a question for you: do you also participate in the initial discussions/planning about DLC's, or are you just on the end-side of this process?

We don't participate as much in making actual ideas for DLC's. Once we have an idea and some basic design in place, we start commenting on it and provide feedback and get more involved as the project progresses.

How can you start as Charlemagne and go through the entire timeline without getting bored? Serious question, I don't understand.

Who says I haven't? :p
Seriously though, I could have conquered the world two times over most likely, but instead I pace myself when I play longer campaigns. I set these small goals for myself to do every now and then. Just to break up the regular gameplay of expanding and do something different.

Wait, are you guys changing the colour of ERE again? :eek:

No, don't worry. I took the screenshot while I played on Linux. Some colors look slightly different because of OpenGL versus DirectX.

As for the screenshot. Don't read too much into the different kingdoms. I took the screenshot from our office MP campaign.

Also, if you haven't already, I can recommend reading Wiz's post-dev diary from Common Sense, in which he speaks about the bug fixing process.

Reactions:
This seems like a good place for

Flanders and Aquitaine for France!

Reactions:
That must explain why Capet dynasty is doing ok, I mean, they still control Flanders and they have not lost Aquitaine yet.
They have already lost Gent...

RIP Gent

Saddest place on Europe

Always War

Nice dev diary, @Servancour. It's nice to get these looks behind the Paradox curtain, even if some people seem to forget that the first several diaries after a major expansion never have major gameplay features, even for EU IV. :) I'm curious, how often do you guys run into major crash-to-desktop bugs that we never get to see?

Also as a Linux gamer it's wonderful to hear about you playing it for testing! Paradox support for Linux with EU IV and CK II is consistently good despite the fact that we must make up at best a few percent of your customers, and I certainly appreciate it. :)

I just have a simple question

Have you guys give any thought to adding the Dueling System to vanilla or something like it??

Also Sword traits

( And yes I do know you dont have to tell me )

Last edited:
Well, to be really honest QA gets the worst from the community by right. After all, their work is to not allow bugs and glitches meet community.

Not really.
QA can only inform the dev-team and producers about problems, they have no mandate to cancel or post-pone a game.
If someone is to blame it's either me or the producer (or anyone above us in the chain of command).

Reactions:
Dynasty distribution in the realm is very important when you have large empires and you want to stop blobbing by certain families.

Reactions:
Not really.
QA can only inform the dev-team and producers about problems, they have no mandate to cancel or post-pone a game.
If someone is to blame it's either me or the producer (or anyone above us in the chain of command).

Producers need love too!

Last edited:
Who says I haven't? :p
Seriously though, I could have conquered the world two times over most likely, but instead I pace myself when I play longer campaigns. I set these small goals for myself to do every now and then. Just to break up the regular gameplay of expanding and do something different..

Wouldn't it be more enjoyable if factions received a boost instead? Perhaps we could then play longer campaigns without the need of pacing ourselves that much, which is in my opinion the very reason campaigns tend to get boring so quickly.

Reactions: