• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Greetings, fellow crusaders!

In this Dev Diary we’ll give a brief insight in how the CK2 QA team works and functions.

The team consists of myself (Servancour), PeterSkager, rageair and Leo Larsson. I’ve been here the longest and have been at Paradox for close to two years now, and so far it’s been a blast! We’re a close-knit team and work very well together, each and every one specializing in different types of gameplay.

As a team, we work very closely with the developers and attend all sorts of meetings to ensure that we stay up to date with the game. When you work with QA you need to know almost everything about the game, from overarching design to the smaller details of specific features. It’s challenging but also very rewarding.

While our primary responsibility may be to test the game, it’s not the only one. Many believe that the life of a QA only consists of reporting bugs, but it’s actually much more than that. We’re responsible for ensuring the overall quality of the product, by providing constant feedback, voice concerns where needed, comment on design and suggest improvements in order to make the game both better and more accessible!

Something we do every now and then when there’s new features to test is to simply play the game in order to get a feel for how to play with them. We usually test a variety of different scenarios, with varying start dates and setups, where we play for anything between a few years to several centuries. Sometimes we play for just a few hours, other times we have the campaigns going over the course of a few days, all while we gather feedback and impressions to the developers. This type of testing allows us to get a more accurate representation on how the game actually plays to find issues you wouldn’t find in a few minutes of playtime. Sometimes we even start using the same scenario just to see how far we can deviate from each other as we use very different playstyles. We believe that having many eyes on the same problem yield the best results.

We’re extremely passionate about the game. Each and every one of us here at the CK2 QA team has played the game for anything between a few hundred to several thousand hours and most of it has been purely for our own enjoyment. I myself play the game regularly outside of work and in my latest campaign I started off as Charlemagne himself, culture switched to German and created the Holy Roman Empire! I’m almost done with it though, with just the last hundred years or so left before the end date. My current ruler is Kaiserin Amalia “The Hammer”, ruling over Europe with an iron fist!

This passion also motivates us to not only ensure that the game performs well from a professional standpoint, but also from the perspective of a player. This causes us to often go above and beyond our ordinary tasks! We at QA has, on occasion, contributed with content to the game. Often to ensure that each and every part of the game feels like a quality experience. For example; we’ve created events to enhance certain aspects of the game (see the Sky Burial and Master Wrestling event chains) and even created art in the form of the Nomadic CoA’s introduced in Horse Lords.

I hope you gained some useful insight in how we approach CK2 from the QA team, and that we work hard to give you, the fans, a product that you deserve. Since we at QA love quality of life improvements, I’ll wrap this up by showing you the following screenshot of a previous feature we are extending somewhat:

ck2_diary_screen.jpg

No offense, but I think it's BS that nomads have been thoroughly (or at all) tested for Horse Lords, when it's pretty clear from 1 hour of play that their retinues are overpoweringly broken, pillaging is tedious af and being able to accidentally settle when you just want to burn, because it's on the same button, is just bad.

I think quality over all has improved a lot, but things always come out way out of balance and stay that way for a long time. Seduction still isn't balanced (imho), and Hordes still melt everyone.

Reactions:
And if we could do something about the raiding A.I., that'd be swell, too.

Reactions:
No offense, but I think it's BS that nomads have been thoroughly (or at all) tested for Horse Lords, when it's pretty clear from 1 hour of play that their retinues are overpoweringly broken, pillaging is tedious af and being able to accidentally settle when you just want to burn, because it's on the same button, is just bad.

I think quality over all has improved a lot, but things always come out way out of balance and stay that way for a long time. Seduction still isn't balanced (imho), and Hordes still melt everyone.
Not to mention, that Mongols don't even achieve anything. Seriously, they used to be really strong, then got progressively weaker which each patches, and I expected them to finally fix this in a nomad-centered DLC, but nope. I guess making the Mongols a threat in 2015 is too hard.

How is it that you are allowed to keep your job after all the cheesy tactics are discovered by the players few hours after DLC release ?

Because fixing one bug usually causes another and the Devs release the product on the announced day, no matter how many bugs remain to be taken care of.

If you do not have enough material for "proper" DDs you may commit not to have them weekly. If this is all about the timing of the announcement well, I would have started this series two weeks before the announcement itself.

How these weekly DD's came to be: people constantly complained about EU4 having weekly DDs but CK2 lacking them. Aka, people wanted DDs even though the Devs really did not have anything to write home about.
I actually doubt that CK2 Devs want this that much. Not everyone is Wiz, after all.

Testing =/= Fixing. QA team reports the bugs and problems, the Devs then fix them as they go on. When the release date gets close, development is halted and continued after release.
As far as Seduction and Hordes go, that's not the issue with QA and PDS is well aware of it. The problem here is HOW to fix it and how to fix it without causing another issue.

Not to mention, that Mongols don't even achieve anything. Seriously, they used to be really strong, then got progressively weaker which each patches, and I expected them to finally fix this in a nomad-centered DLC, but nope. I guess making the Mongols a threat in 2015 is too hard.

The problem is in how to represent this. Until HL, EVERYTHING leaving to Mongol Invasion happened off-screen but now the game needs to be able to properly represent the whole course of events through game mechanics. And that is much harder to properly achieve than just throwing in a railroading event.
And it does not help that the main reason for Mongol Horses invading Europe and Middle East was Gengis Khan. Had such a skilled leader not been born and achieved those accomplishments, Mongols might never have had become a threat of such caliber. Such unique events are much harder to represent in the game.

Reactions:
Are you still doing the three DLC plan for 2015?
Sadly, no.
You can safely assume that we won't release two more expansions this year.
The dev diaries won't contain all that much about the expansion (or the patch released at the same time), until we're closer to announcing anything official.
If that bothers you, then feel free to consider these as non-dd:s and just random posts from the dev team. We won't take offense ;)

Are there topics that people would like us to have for these dd:s? If it's not related to the expansion/patch, we might consider putting it in.

Reactions:
How these weekly DD's came to be: people constantly complained about EU4 having weekly DDs but CK2 lacking them. Aka, people wanted DDs even though the Devs really did not have anything to write home about.
I actually doubt that CK2 Devs want this that much. Not everyone is Wiz, after all.

Thanks for explaining this. Before you did I was sure that CK2 was ending its development cycle and this was the beginning of a final clean-up build and the diaries were going to end with "thanks to all our fans over the years for the support."

Reactions:
People do not want the dev diaries themselves. They just want to see that progress is being made on their favorite game. The one thing that makes people angry is making them believe progress is being made and ready to be shown and then they see the devs talking about stuff no one really cares about. Already four dev diaries and not a single sentence with any meaning about the future of the game.

Reactions:
Anyone have a guess at what's new in the screenshot? I'm guessing an improved dynasty map mode

I think, too ...

And Paradox should not stop with the Map-Modes ...
1. Terrain ... OK, but useless !
1. Improvement: Strategic-Terrain-Map-Mode, in which you can see (visually) which Terrain is the Province (Plains, Farmlands, Steppe, Forest, Hills, Mountains, Desert or Jungle) FOR the Leadership-Traits of your Commanders !
2. Realm ... Still Improved, OK !
3. Diplomatic Relations ... OK !
4. Religions ... OK !
5. Cultures ... OK !
6. Economy ... OK !
7. The 3 De-Jure-Map-Modes could be One, like in 2. !
8. Revolt-Risk ... OK !
9. Dynasties ... Seems to be improved (Screen in this Dev-Diary) ... OK !
10. Opinions ... OK !
11. Direct Vassals ... Obsolet - Terminate !
12. Trade-Zone and Family-Trade-Zones could be One, like in 2. !
13. Government ... Like in 2. ?

EDIT: And Last, the selected Map-Mode should have a "Remember-Function" !

Reactions:
How is it that you are allowed to keep your job after all the cheesy tactics are discovered by the players few hours after DLC release ?

Because they make sure the game runs well enough without crashing to desktop so that players then get to tear it apart and find cheesy tactics.

Reactions:
Cool, looks like we can soon Ctrl-click while in the Dynasty mapmode to see not just the top liege dynasty. This was really missing, I'm glad they include it now.

Reactions:

Luckily people here understand things like math. If 10,000 people play for an undefined "few" hours, lets say 3, that is 30,000 hours of testing. For 4 QA working 8 hour days that would be ~2.5 years of testing. Which doesn't even consider that QA aren't testing the final version for the entire period, or that fixing one bug can reveal other bugs, unbalanced things, or exploits.

Reactions:
Reactions:
Sadly, no.

A little disappointed, but good to know what is going on.
Does this mean the expansion in question will be a big one?

Quite a few kingdom level CoA's there in Italy in that picture.... Tuscany for sure, and maybe Modena? Bologna? Not sure. Might that be some hint they're redoing the way inland republics work? Or maybe it's just the AI making custom Kindoms.

Quite a few kingdom level CoA's there in Italy in that picture.... Tuscany for sure, and maybe Modena? Bologna? Not sure. Might that be some hint they're redoing the way inland republics work? Or maybe it's just the AI making custom Kindoms.
they might have reduced the requirements for the ai to form kingdoms

Luckily people here understand things like math. If 10,000 people play for an undefined "few" hours, lets say 3, that is 30,000 hours of testing. For 4 QA working 8 hour days that would be ~2.5 years of testing. Which doesn't even consider that QA aren't testing the final version for the entire period, or that fixing one bug can reveal other bugs, unbalanced things, or exploits.
What is this... math... you speak of?

Reactions:
First, I would like to say I am truly appreciate these Dev Diaries...
More interaction between Devs and Fans is always a good thing for me, even if the result isn't always optimal...

On that point, I wish we could get a post-mortem Dev Diary...
Knowing what you wish to achieve, how it turns out, and what lesson you take, are things that interest me the most...

Now on the Dev Diaries, from screenshot in Dev Diaries 2-4, if I take your hint right, I could see the next patch going to be big, like really big, as it seems you are going to revise a lot of core aspect of the game (alliance or even perhaps diplomacy in general [Dev 2], warfare [Dev 3], maybe dynasty (cadet branches?) or simply a lot more map mode (allow you to know what your vassal's dynasty is?) or both [Dev 4])...
Hopefully you can reveal the next expansion and patch in near future (though as CK2 Dev Diary usually have less then 10, I'll make a wild guess we are going to know it in two weeks with expansion released early December :p )...

Reactions: