• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 - Dev Diary #0 - The Vision

titus_gamevision.png

Greetings friends!

It’s my pleasure to finally be able to talk about what I’ve been working on ever since Stellaris came out (and before) - Crusader Kings III, of course! CK3 draws on the wisdom gained over CK2’s seven long years of expansions and patches - all the things we simply could not do in that game - and represents the natural evolution of Crusader Kings. Yes, CK3 is an evolution, not a revolution; it’s better across the board and does not alter the core CK experience. That said, we did not carry over everything from every expansion and update to CK2. Rather than trying to do full justice to the less appreciated systems, we decided to go deep rather than wide.

The main design goals with Crusader Kings III were:
  • Character Focus: Crusader Kings is clearly and unequivocally about individual characters, unlike our other games. This makes CK most suited for memorable emergent stories, and we wanted to bring characters into all important gameplay mechanics (where possible.)
  • Player Freedom and Progression: We want to cater to all player fantasies we can reasonably accommodate, allowing players to shape their ruler, heirs, dynasty and even religion to their liking - though there should of course be appropriate challenges to overcome.
  • Player Stories: All events and scripted content should feel relevant, impactful and immersive in relation to the underlying simulation. That way, players will perceive and remember stories - their own stories, not the developers’ stories.
  • Approachability: Crusader Kings III should be user friendly without compromising its general level of complexity and historical flavor. It’s nice if it’s easier to get into, but more than that, it should be clear what everything in the game is, what you might want to be doing, and how to go about it.
Now, you might say: “Cool, but I took the time to master CK2, bought all the expansions, and now it provides me an enormous breadth of options. Why should I buy CK3?”

That’s a fair question! As I mentioned earlier, we decided not to carry over all features from CK2, so if you play CK2 primarily for, say, the nomads or the merchant republics (the only faction types that were playable in CK2 but not in CK3), you might be disappointed. There are likely other features and content that will be missed by some players, but, in return, we believe that everyone will find the core gameplay far more fun and rewarding! To be clear, CK3 is a vastly bigger game than CK2 was on release.

I know this dev diary was short on details, but don’t despair - they will be revealed over the coming months!

• 13Like
  • 5Love
Reactions:
It's a pity that they're removing supernatural elemets. In my opinion they were the coolest thing about CK2
I agree but lets face it. Supernatural things will come back to CK III at some point via DLC.
It is popular and makes fun so yes, we are going to see it again.

On another note.
With the new 3D Characters now a thing, are we going to see the content of our treasury on our characters, like crown, or armor or such?

I agree but lets face it. Supernatural things will come back to CK III at some point via DLC.
It is popular and makes fun so yes, we are going to see it again.

On another note.
With the new 3D Characters now a thing, are we going to see the content of our treasury on our characters, like crown, or armor or such?
There's no inventory system at launch, but i hope we'll see one in the future. In fact, it would be baffling if they didn't add one considering the new 3D graphics.
At launch we'll see different clothing sets based on major culture group (western, Muslim, African, tribal and Asian if i remember correctly) and rank. And, judging from screenshots, crowns are there too at launch, though we don't know their variety.

There's no inventory system at launch, but i hope we'll see one in the future. In fact, it would be baffling if they didn't add one considering the new 3D graphics.
At launch we'll see different clothing sets based on major culture group (western, Muslim, African, tribal and Asian if i remember correctly) and rank. And, judging from screenshots, crowns are there too at launch, though we don't know their variety.
Sounds fine to me. There have to be opportunity for selling DLC :)

I just want to see governments expanded alongside eastern europe. The game map being larger kind of scares me into thinking that eastern europe is going to be even more neglected. I might be wrong, but I'll admit I:R made me a bit cynical.

Why people are so 'obsessed' with playing barons?

If you play as a baron three thing can happen, you lose the barony, you stay a baron for a long time or you became a count.

first is bad, second is boring, third is the game as usual.

After all a baron is essentially a vassal-less count with a single holding. what is so interesting about it? I'd understand wanting to play a bishop, or a landless mercenary, that would be different. But a baron is just less of the same.

I understand your point.
So, let me explain my point of view.
I'm just hoping that the new engine coming with ck3 enables new ingame mechanics and possibilities.
Like stellaris "play tall" I could imagine that you could play a baron and have just another plenty things to do;
- build a forestry (+ upgrades)
- build a quarry (+ upgrades)
- hire stonemasons
- find good peasantry for feeding your barony and such
- upgrade your castle
- hire castellan
- try to keep or improve good relations to other barons/mayors/abbots

So...all the small things ;)

I understand your point.
I'm just hoping that the new engine coming with ck3 enables new ingame mechanics and possibilities.
Like stellaris "play tall" I could imagine that you could play a baron and have just another plenty things to do;
- hire stonemasons
- upgrade your castle
- hire castellan

I like the idea of adding this much depth to a barony, but it would never have been a feature of the base game on release. Too many new elements to add to the game while they're trying to prep for release.

I understand your point.
- hire stonemasons
- upgrade your castle
- hire castellan

But this is a different game, is it. This is good for a mod, not a base feudal game.

But this is a different game, is it. This is good for a mod, not a base feudal game.
I'd even like it as a DLC to be honest, but it's probably unlikely.

We're close to Dev Diary #1 at this point. Can't wait to see what aspect of the game they'll start "disclosing" to us...

I understand your point.
- hire stonemasons
- upgrade your castle
- hire castellan

you could do all these things as a count, you know?

I mean, if would be cool if they add all those things but why the need to add another level to the gerarchy?

If you add barons, then why not add freeholders/yeomans?

As I have said 'Baron' is just less of the same. 'count' is the right point of balance, where things start getting interesting..

I understand your point.
- hire stonemasons
- upgrade your castle
- hire castellan

I'm not sure being a baron would be nearly as fun as some people think it would be. As a count you are rather limited in resources and trying to expand or get to Duke level. As a baron itd be even harder due to the fact you wouldn't be making much money and your manpower would be extremely low in comparison to your neighbours (i dont see the AI letting a baron expand under it) so if your liege decided it wanted your titles youd be pretty much screwed from the getgo.

I think being a baron would only be interesting from the challenge aspect rather than anything else. Itd just be a game of waiting and waiting to build up and by the time you've built up your resources your liege or target could have done the same.

Apologies if this was answered before. Is there any final plans for closing out CK2? I'm sure there is no more DLC coming out, which is fine, but will there be any final patches or optimizations that will take place? Would love to see just one or two more pass overs to clean it up and put it to bed so large scale mods can work with it without any further changes.

Apologies if this was answered before. Is there any final plans for closing out CK2? I'm sure there is no more DLC coming out, which is fine, but will there be any final patches or optimizations that will take place? Would love to see just one or two more pass overs to clean it up and put it to bed so large scale mods can work with it without any further changes.

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing during pdxcon that they will still release patches for ck2 to fix up remaining issues. So it seems it will just be bug fixes from now on.

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing during pdxcon that they will still release patches for ck2 to fix up remaining issues. So it seems it will just be bug fixes from now on.

Thanks for the response. That sounds pretty solid to me to at least get hotfixes; not looking for more content in game.

as long as we arent ripped off with dlc that does the exact same thing ck2 did. I want deeper gameplay and easier modding options so the community can expand on new frameworks the devs create