• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 - Dev Diary #123 - Iron Century

Hello!

As you probably know by now we released our 3.1.1 patch yesterday. Hopefully those of you who have managed to try it are enjoying it, and those of you who haven’t will jump in this weekend. Let us know what you think about the court and tech changes, and as always if you run into any issues, please report them in the bug forum!

Now onto something new, there have been a few hints here and there about what we have been working on. However now we can officially announce that we will be releasing a new historical bookmark called: The Iron Century. The bookmark will start on the 7th of August 936, a previously unplayable date and our first in the 10th century.

CK2_IronCentury_1920x1080.jpg

In Europe Otto marches on the path to an Empire, Rival Caliphs battle for control of the Muslim world and the last remnants of the vikings stir to the north. Hundreds of other characters have their own stories to tell. A thousand possibilities await in the Iron Century.

Next week we will do something special and have a new dev diary about the 936 bookmark every day from Monday to Friday to cover the setting of the medieval world in the 10th century. Also I want to make it clear that ‘The Iron Century’ update will be completely free.

A correction from last weeks dev diary is that the correct weekday of our Crusader Kings stream is Wednesdays 16:00 CEST and not the previously mentioned Thursdays.

Thanks for reading everyone!

CK2 Team

• 2Love
Reactions:
Why would Karl form the Holy Roman Empire? He was crowned Emperor of the Romans by the pope, but that did not actually mean anything, it was just a publicity stunt to piss of thhe Byzantines and "reward" Charles for being so pious and good to the Papacy. The first actual Holy Roman Emperor, who created the Holy Roman Empire was Otto I in 962.

Let me put it like this.
Karl can't take out the Saxons or Lombards for shit. Once in a while he'll get the Lombards, but it mostly if not totally stops at the united francias (which then immediately break apart because succession is really shite in CK2 and is one of if not the biggest factor to why things like border gore get so damned bad.)

I can't decide whether I am more happy for a new bookmark in the 10th century or the fact that the new bookmark doesn't push any earlier.

It greatly suits to the feudal mechanics, it gives us enough and good Pagan rulers and it already has good and strong Christians in Europe. Furthemore the situation in Islamic world in this period is extremely interesting throughout the entire 10th century. So one big YAY for this bookmark :)

I really hope this means that some sort of overhaul of mechanics in islamic societies is still possible.

We nee new Bookmarks for sure - in EARLIER periods to give us longer games.....
Be honest. How many of your games did you play fully from the start to the end of the game?
Vast majority of players' runs don't go beyong 300 years. That means... with Charlemagne bookmark most of games played don't even get to the period of propper feudalism, which is the main topic of this game. Since the beggining the game's graphical and religious setup is based on world after 1054 and it doesn't seem to even include a pre-Schism mechanics.

No we don't. I never finished anything close to a 700 year game.
Extending the feudal mechanics to even earlier times is also historically questionable in many locations
Yes.
It's not questionable in many locations. It is questionable in many locations in 10th century. Already in the Charlemagne bookmark feudal mechanics don't even fit to the cradle of feudalism.

Bah.... skips and keeps waiting for Asia expansion!
Thankfully never gonna happen. The existence of Jade Dragon DLC simply excludes such possibility.

Any earlier and the Byzantines Control Rome Great Schism won’t make much sense then.
People have been wanting a Great Schism mechanic since The Old Gods went back to 867 anyway. CK2+ already simulates it and that mod has had a decent few of its features get adopted into the base game over time. Who knows.

Was this the last Dev Diary or is something more to come?

This was the last one. When they wrote "We will resume dev diaries after summer" they obviously meant "We will never resume dev diaries. This game is done forever, and further development is cancelled." ;)

This was the last one. When they wrote "We will resume dev diaries after summer" they obviously meant "We will never resume dev diaries. This game is done forever, and further development is cancelled." ;)
Every dev team says that before July though. Referring to them having July off. I think it's at least fair to not think they literally meant dev diaries would come back after the Fall Equinox.

Every dev team says that before July though. Referring to them having July off. I think it's at least fair to not think they literally meant dev diaries would come back after the Fall Equinox.

Well, they did said "summer," not "July." :)