• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #110 - It's not a bug.

The Bugs of Holy Fury!

Holy Fury development was a long and winding road, and along that road were, believe it or not a few bugs. Let me tell you about some of them.

Emperor Assassin
This one is a personal favorite of mine. Upon adding the kill list to track character kills we noticed that, the Chinese Emperor had the most kills. Upon further investigation we realised he was getting the credit for an event where a Chinese Noble is assassinated by China. So the Emperor was personally sneaking into their room at night and strangling them with a piece of silk.

lmns46qp46rIFYDlAm-9AYb62thSIa0tLK_z6uW944_L4Of8u2pTlwa_LeGaTf9ZmvJ9hdEOsa-hsDslFNYmeHz0BpISnmpxeN4SHEJEcTorgb91FPIvwwB_jHCGAU-hK0IZBlNK
BW8sttXf5Glm0ejOp-hchjRVYsaMzjXFWVI0F5wm5Fq2Qh5mR4_p4QJzvHb2-7Xj7viVYsAnxcHoTsstQESKzguEOjNOAs_1a1JauSnyKf-OCOa2vYljOIr4yWs0RrekFPFw_Sxx

Dramatic recreation

Escape Armour
When we added the new battle events, a wonderful new event was added where it is possible to throw down one of your artifacts to distract your opponent when you run away. Unfortunately/ fortunately this included the armour you were wearing. The mental image of you slipping out of your armour on the battlefield is wonderful. Infact this bug was so good we made it a feature.

ad6WQQM8ZPWQwOVAVT1iDNytperuO693qHi7OJJx2VrKJg3uXIRJf46apLEBa-lSuZQRT4v-vHa-ZtWNA_ozWzOK7ygINAXfTv3giwmtyP3xdEiKO_uUUIik_km0m2kU5Gl1T0Hh

Imprisoning everyone

Using some fun commands and curiosity one dev managed to imprison everyone in the world. Unfortunately unpausing the game would cause the whole thing to crash, who would have guessed eh?

zXg560h_X9UL41-q2IQYtJoiab2zj6TfwC6EjguEFuylRAf2-x5OG_lrzUuS60J7W0edpfF60AQT2A0ED-MpWtZQc_NLjxFUnClef-ZsP5rAkaiQ7k1LZp6ggsBbpslb87Jyo05u

Confused Pope
The Pope is annoyed if you go on the fourth crusade but even more annoyed if you don’t show up. I guess the pope despite his best attempts just can’t resist a crusade.

GOZ54cgtHqQN5-SOPJ8jPKHbxu2_QuYJZrbe7VnI8I3uDM2QgbsFJmyW8N0T-5xD6JYL8IJEDbrYBb6cRTALFPsjsnGsmk4kMG_9yVDf9zIa1zHZycMOX4MTlTKnU3rwzhSGe4pl

Hairless animals
Animals entering the barbershop would crash the game since they “lack hair”.

UI-scaling
Implementing UI scaling was as simple as flipping a switch, our coders didn’t have to do any work at all.
czgvthp7FeGSJhVjgrDcx_wPIvhghEIFpAcY4JCXAp1Sxnea4VU2DIsA2dRwgL1EaJW3bprWb8fZMfv2nqNPVzkNdXrl6d-xTdbiLhyEVp7IxjspR7NKoE8PNRYTemIUIz9rZWAe

Great Strength
When duels were getting their upgrade, it was implemented so different weapons would be used including bare hands. Due to some variables not being set up yet this led to people consistently severing limbs with their bare hands.

3kYOJTxv9Qd2sdti5JjQyyiOTWdgv--S-C7xZrrmV3UL9BRRcQ3-bZ8ZpOfyyJqVExH71HXjmtKEwDRY6r6Lz-aKqlzdSl1FL2IaMOjAJG3bRo5jdf6bjenlY8R5H85x5BBYLQEi

AI problems
The AI, just before winning a crusade decided to set their crusade beneficiary and who better to benefit from the crusade than their 80 year old syphilitic, non-dynastic aunt?

Thanks for reading!

Dan

It is not achievement compatible, but I have adjusted other religious natures to desire conversion in my personal mod.

Thank You very much for making a mod - I hope it's just a temporary fix though, because I like to play Ironman. Frankly, I really hope the developers bring back proselytizing for all natures in a similar way it was before. Perhaps a compromise would be for characters with a high enough learning (or maybe Diplomacy?) could make their seers proselytize, regardless of religion MA. And by Odin, the minimum MA for all rulers to focus on conversion is way too high! But of course - the proselytizing nature should have major bonuses that the other Natures don't have. I was initially under the impression that the Proselytizing nature was supposed to be a major boost for conversion rate and increase the odds of mass-conversion, not be a monumentally gigantic nerf on the proselytizing capabilities of other nature reformations (or the default AI pagan reformations for that matter).

Last edited:
Here is the thing... It is terribly unrealistic for Reformed Germanic Rulers to consistently rule a vast area for 115 years at a range of different MA levels, and hardly have an effect on the fractured catholic populations, especially when those fractured catholic religions haze zero MA.
why is that unrealistic, some religions don't teach that people should spread their religions (such as Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism), while other religions say you should not proselytise at all (such as Sikhism)

why is that unrealistic, some religions don't teach that people should spread their religions (such as Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism), while other religions say you should not proselytise at all (such as Sikhism)

While that maybe true for those religions, It wasn't true of the Pagan religions across Europe. In this way, it makes the game less realistic, and in my opinion it also hurts the player experience. What is the point of having a war-mongering nature and waging holy wars, only for your vassals or kingdoms of your faith to just sit there and do nothing with their seers to spread the religion, even at a reasonably high MA? Back when Old Gods came out, a major bonus to reformation was to get a massive buff to county conversion. Now it has been nerfed to an extent that I believe is unreasonable and unrealistic.

Last edited:
With everything said, I'm very open to a realisitic compromise. For example, an AI ruler that is zealous, or an AI ruler with a high diplomacy or learning, could make their seer proselytize within their demense, regardless of religious Moral Authority.

It is not a matter of moral authority. Moral authority speeds up the process, but the ai has to choose to do so in the first place. Only proselytizing nature is good for this in vanilla, as it tells the ai to always convert.

started new game with 3.0 version and all expansions as Byzantine empire - I unable to change succession law - only available imperial elective succession law which was from the beginning. I already recreated Roman empire and change all laws to right positions (eg Revoke title to Religious - http://prntscr.com/lmiks0) . But I don't have any variants to change succession laws - http://prntscr.com/lmim0f - does in 3.0 empire only limited to imperial elective??????? Or it's a bug?

It is not a matter of moral authority. Moral authority speeds up the process, but the ai has to choose to do so in the first place. Only proselytizing nature is good for this in vanilla, as it tells the ai to always convert.

That I fully understand. One thing that you pointed out earlier is that there is a cut-off point for a religions MA which determines whether the AI chooses to proselytize or not. In my experience, the AI wasn't choosing to proselytize, even during a high MA. So I believe that the cut-off point was set way too high. I believe the solution is to lower the MA requirements, and to add exceptions to the rule based on individual ruler attributes (zealous, diplomacy, learning, etc).

Personally, I enjoy a world where the HRE cannot form, and where instead you end up with a Byzantine Emperor who is also Emperor of the Byzantine Revolt, especially when nearly all title and dynasty banners were black. Deleting gfx folder did improve the situation, but only to about 99% as some still remain black.

With everything said, I'm very open to a realisitic compromise. For example, an AI ruler that is zealous, or an AI ruler with a high diplomacy or learning, could make their seer proselytize within their demense, regardless of religious Moral Authority.
Perhaps having an event after a religious revolt is put down that has a chance of converting the county. This probably deserves a suggestion, but I am lazy.

Perhaps having an event after a religious revolt is put down that has a chance of converting the county. This probably deserves a suggestion, but I am lazy.

That's a pretty good idea! Of course whatever the option is, there needs to be a chance it could turn into a disaster and make them even more difficult to convert.

That's a pretty good idea! Of course whatever the option is, there needs to be a chance it could turn into a disaster and make them even more difficult to convert.
Well, I was thinking the victor (or the county holder, not quite sure) would get an event with 3 options:

1. spend some gold, (no less than 5, no more than 100, probably scaled with income) get a high chance to convert province, but no reduction in local revolt risk from winning the rebellion. Success probably depends on ruler learning and chaplain learning. Under some cases "success" results in a secret cult sticking around and switching back if an openly (old religion) ruler ever holds the county. So if one of those religious rebellions does succeed and takes a county or 3 off you, they might all revert to the old religion.
2. spend no gold, (small) chance to convert province. Reduces revolt risk as normal.
3. "Punish the Rebels!" Get some gold, depopulate the province, make the province harder to convert, massive revolt risk reduction for a long time.

Probably wouldn't have the event fire after every religious rebellion, but if it fired after half of them my Jewish tribals in the steppe games would have converted the whole steppe to Jewish as we crushed rebellions over the course of 50 years. Odds to fire should be higher for heretics of your religion.

I noticed that in my world too ! In my random world Sunni has been changed to the Creed of the Isotaloard, but with some sort of Cosmopolitan overlay (I don't really know all the doctrines yet). All I know is that my religion gives me an increased demesne limit, the opportunity to gain Sympathy for another religion and some sort of Coming of Age ceremony bonus. Oh, and because I am actually a re-skinned Sunni I start and am stuck with Agnatic Open yet fo0r some reason can make matrilinear marriages. Oh, and no decadence !

I don't know how common this sort of stuff its, but it seems that I got the perfect combo of religion/culture (basically Greek) and government (Iqta), but with extra bonuses.

Still, it would be good if SOMEONE in this world had Sayyid or Mirza . . .

Well the reason islam changed into the creed of (something i dont remember☺) is because i think when you were shattering or randomizing a world you set the religions to random or full random. If you set it to historical you will get the historical real religions like catholicism, islam. Anyways your religion combo sounds super OP. Damn you are lucky for that.

It seems that Crusider Kings 2 Steam customer reviews have gone up from the release a lot. Last 30 days 97% of people have give positive review in 1357 reviews. And all time review are 90% positive from 20 000 review.

Not many game companies on steam can say that 97% of people who post reviews post it positive. This game is really better than ever now.

Just a couple of bugs/problems i've noticed (i've mentioned some of these on the last dev diary as well):

1) Many of the new duchies do not have their capitals set properly. Mousing over the counties on the map in duchy mapmode doesn't show the "duchy capital" tooltip for any of them, and using the "go to capital" option from right clicking the title often takes you to a province in an entirely different duchy

2) The duelist bloodline required for the achievement is bugged and the achievement is too. You can't seem to be able to acquire the bloodline since the options that you pick during the duel event tree don't register properly, i.e. you don't always get ruthless duelist experience from taking the kill instead of injure option, and you don't always get the sneaky duelist experience from taking the intrigue option. 90% of the time you just get regular duelist experience instead making the bloodline basically impossible to get since you can only duel once (or twice?) a year or so (this cooldown should also be lowered to once a month probably). Got the achievement anyway though for some reason.

3) The "secretly convert to spouse's (or concubine's) religion" option upon right clicking their portrait is no longer available in many cases. Nomads can still do it but feudals seem to be missing the option most of the time, and even tribals sometimes depending on their religion, i've noticed.

4) The "secretly convert to religion x" from right clicking a province title COA in your demesne which is a holy site of religion x, no longer always works. For example, it should be possible to convert secretly to catholic via jerusalem or rome when i'm orthodox yet i can only convert to sunni, shia, miaphysite, ibadi and nestorian via jerusalem and via rome to catholic only after mending the schism (even though converting to heresies should not be allowed via this option).

5) When granting inheritable titles (castles or tribes) to landless characters who used to hold a bishopric and are shown as having theocratic government, their new title becomes a theocratic government as well, even though they were landless and they were granted a feudal or tribal government which should have made them adopt the government type they were granted.

Last edited:
Fix the bugged out Irish bishopric sheilds. They go all purple and nasty in my campaign. It's a real annoyance.