• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #110 - It's not a bug.

The Bugs of Holy Fury!

Holy Fury development was a long and winding road, and along that road were, believe it or not a few bugs. Let me tell you about some of them.

Emperor Assassin
This one is a personal favorite of mine. Upon adding the kill list to track character kills we noticed that, the Chinese Emperor had the most kills. Upon further investigation we realised he was getting the credit for an event where a Chinese Noble is assassinated by China. So the Emperor was personally sneaking into their room at night and strangling them with a piece of silk.

lmns46qp46rIFYDlAm-9AYb62thSIa0tLK_z6uW944_L4Of8u2pTlwa_LeGaTf9ZmvJ9hdEOsa-hsDslFNYmeHz0BpISnmpxeN4SHEJEcTorgb91FPIvwwB_jHCGAU-hK0IZBlNK
BW8sttXf5Glm0ejOp-hchjRVYsaMzjXFWVI0F5wm5Fq2Qh5mR4_p4QJzvHb2-7Xj7viVYsAnxcHoTsstQESKzguEOjNOAs_1a1JauSnyKf-OCOa2vYljOIr4yWs0RrekFPFw_Sxx

Dramatic recreation

Escape Armour
When we added the new battle events, a wonderful new event was added where it is possible to throw down one of your artifacts to distract your opponent when you run away. Unfortunately/ fortunately this included the armour you were wearing. The mental image of you slipping out of your armour on the battlefield is wonderful. Infact this bug was so good we made it a feature.

ad6WQQM8ZPWQwOVAVT1iDNytperuO693qHi7OJJx2VrKJg3uXIRJf46apLEBa-lSuZQRT4v-vHa-ZtWNA_ozWzOK7ygINAXfTv3giwmtyP3xdEiKO_uUUIik_km0m2kU5Gl1T0Hh

Imprisoning everyone

Using some fun commands and curiosity one dev managed to imprison everyone in the world. Unfortunately unpausing the game would cause the whole thing to crash, who would have guessed eh?

zXg560h_X9UL41-q2IQYtJoiab2zj6TfwC6EjguEFuylRAf2-x5OG_lrzUuS60J7W0edpfF60AQT2A0ED-MpWtZQc_NLjxFUnClef-ZsP5rAkaiQ7k1LZp6ggsBbpslb87Jyo05u

Confused Pope
The Pope is annoyed if you go on the fourth crusade but even more annoyed if you don’t show up. I guess the pope despite his best attempts just can’t resist a crusade.

GOZ54cgtHqQN5-SOPJ8jPKHbxu2_QuYJZrbe7VnI8I3uDM2QgbsFJmyW8N0T-5xD6JYL8IJEDbrYBb6cRTALFPsjsnGsmk4kMG_9yVDf9zIa1zHZycMOX4MTlTKnU3rwzhSGe4pl

Hairless animals
Animals entering the barbershop would crash the game since they “lack hair”.

UI-scaling
Implementing UI scaling was as simple as flipping a switch, our coders didn’t have to do any work at all.
czgvthp7FeGSJhVjgrDcx_wPIvhghEIFpAcY4JCXAp1Sxnea4VU2DIsA2dRwgL1EaJW3bprWb8fZMfv2nqNPVzkNdXrl6d-xTdbiLhyEVp7IxjspR7NKoE8PNRYTemIUIz9rZWAe

Great Strength
When duels were getting their upgrade, it was implemented so different weapons would be used including bare hands. Due to some variables not being set up yet this led to people consistently severing limbs with their bare hands.

3kYOJTxv9Qd2sdti5JjQyyiOTWdgv--S-C7xZrrmV3UL9BRRcQ3-bZ8ZpOfyyJqVExH71HXjmtKEwDRY6r6Lz-aKqlzdSl1FL2IaMOjAJG3bRo5jdf6bjenlY8R5H85x5BBYLQEi

AI problems
The AI, just before winning a crusade decided to set their crusade beneficiary and who better to benefit from the crusade than their 80 year old syphilitic, non-dynastic aunt?

Thanks for reading!

Dan

These bugs uhh I mean features are hilarious, especially the armor one!

On a very related note there is a major bug I found while playing an Observe game. So... starting from a single county Shattered World, the AI reformed Germanic in the year 1035 (but I jumped in and chose Hierocratic Leadership and Equality for the AI, because why not?). The Germanics by this point in time had already controlled all of the British isles and huge portions of France and Iberia. However as I observed the game for another 115 years after the reformation and checked the religious map mode, I was surprised to see that hardly any religious change happened in the fractured Catholic world! So I got very curious and jumped around to different Germanic rulers across northern Europe, and what did I find? Absolutely none of the AI were using their seers to convert counties. Their seers were automatically set to hunt apostates with their options greyed out (I had to invite a holy man just to replace them).

This is a serious issue to say the least. It suggest to me that for some reason, the AI's top priority for using seers wasn't to immediately try to convert non-Germanic counties, which was extremely problematic at least in the Observe Game I was watching. Could it be an issue with the new over-hauled Reformation Mechanics? For reference, i did not change any of the game rules affecting religious conversion. I had the culture setting set to "combination", but I seriously doubt that was conflicting with the AI Seer priorities.

For Comparison I have pictures of the two dates, from the exact moment of reformation at 1035 to 1150:

Attachments

• Reformed Germanic 1035.png
    Reformed Germanic 1035.png
    6,2 MB · Views: 139
  • Reformed Germanic 1150.png
    Reformed Germanic 1150.png
    6,2 MB · Views: 128
Last edited:
I would like to suggest a feature for the random/shattered world features in HF. If randomizing rulers, those who follow islam and control the holy sites should be given the sayyid trait because i have found no random muslim ruler to possess the trait. So this also means no islamic caliph which makes me depressed. I can use the ruler designer but it disables achievments. So consider adding sayyid traits to muslim rulers in control of the holy sites in the next patch. Thanks for reading.

An observation from one of my games: defensive pacts will trigger in the excommunication war starting from the event chain to get crowned by the pope. The pope was in that defensive pact, leading to him fighting to defend the guy he wants me to depose in order to get crowned by him...

I think Charlemagne not being able to found the HRE is enough to require a hotfix asap.
Charlemagne was crowned Holy Roman Emperor, his realm being the 'new' Roman Empire (or as I like to call it, the Frankish or Carolingian Empire). This "Roman" name refers to being moreso Christian than Roman as by the caesaropapism of the Chrisitan Roman Emperors, they were the head of the Roman Church (so the two equaled each other by contemporary wording). The Pope crowned a man as Emperor underneath him as a statement of power against the Romans in Constantinople while they had a crisis going on. The Holy Roman Empire would be founded by Otto the Great and the legacy of the Roman Emperors controlling the Church would play an important role for the history of the early HRE.

Charlemagne was crowned Holy Roman Emperor, his realm being the 'new' Roman Empire (or as I like to call it, the Frankish or Carolingian Empire). This "Roman" name refers to being moreso Christian than Roman as by the caesaropapism of the Chrisitan Roman Emperors, they were the head of the Roman Church (so the two equaled each other by contemporary wording). The Pope crowned a man as Emperor underneath him as a statement of power against the Romans in Constantinople while they had a crisis going on. The Holy Roman Empire would be founded by Otto the Great and the legacy of the Roman Emperors controlling the Church would play an important role for the history of the early HRE.
Not the guy you're responding to, but the decision is disabled for everyone. You literally can't form the Holy Roman Empire from 769 in the current patch. The specifics in this case don't matter.

Is there some news about fixing nonhistorical CoAs of e_russia and k_ruthenia?
Is there a chance to see new (or old, even it is better) CoAs in the next patch?
And one more question, how it happened that current CoAs are based on modern Ukranian CoA which exist only from 1920s?

I would like to suggest a feature for the random/shattered world features in HF. If randomizing rulers, those who follow islam and control the holy sites should be given the sayyid trait because i have found no random muslim ruler to possess the trait. So this also means no islamic caliph which makes me depressed. I can use the ruler designer but it disables achievments. So consider adding sayyid traits to muslim rulers in control of the holy sites in the next patch. Thanks for reading.

I noticed that in my world too ! In my random world Sunni has been changed to the Creed of the Isotaloard, but with some sort of Cosmopolitan overlay (I don't really know all the doctrines yet). All I know is that my religion gives me an increased demesne limit, the opportunity to gain Sympathy for another religion and some sort of Coming of Age ceremony bonus. Oh, and because I am actually a re-skinned Sunni I start and am stuck with Agnatic Open yet fo0r some reason can make matrilinear marriages. Oh, and no decadence !

I don't know how common this sort of stuff its, but it seems that I got the perfect combo of religion/culture (basically Greek) and government (Iqta), but with extra bonuses.

Still, it would be good if SOMEONE in this world had Sayyid or Mirza . . .

On a very related note there is a major bug I found while playing an Observe game. So... starting from a single county Shattered World, the AI reformed Germanic in the year 1035 (but I jumped in and chose Hierocratic Leadership and Equality for the AI, because why not?). The Germanics by this point in time had already controlled all of the British isles and huge portions of France and Iberia. However as I observed the game for another 115 years after the reformation and checked the religious map mode, I was surprised to see that hardly any religious change happened in the fractured Catholic world! So I got very curious and jumped around to different Germanic rulers across northern Europe, and what did I find? Absolutely none of the AI were using their seers to convert counties. Their seers were automatically set to hunt apostates with their options greyed out (I had to invite a holy man just to replace them).
Unless you chose the nature Proselytizing, I believe this is working as intended. Peaceful and Cosmopolitan natures cause the AI to never want to convert provinces; Unyielding causes it to only convert provinces when zeal is high. Warmongering and Dogmatic only convert pagan provinces (and in the former's case, only when zeal is high). Only Proselytizing tries to convert everything always.
(Source: *\common\religion_features\00_features.txt)

Unless you chose the nature Proselytizing, I believe this is working as intended. Peaceful and Cosmopolitan natures cause the AI to never want to convert provinces; Unyielding causes it to only convert provinces when zeal is high. Warmongering and Dogmatic only convert pagan provinces (and in the former's case, only when zeal is high). Only Proselytizing tries to convert everything always.

It is a bit weird that Dogmatic doesn't bother to convert non-pagan provinces inside the realm regardless of zeal, though, and Warmongering doing it with high zeal wouldn't seem weird to me. Cosmopolitan obviously should be fine with heathens and heretics, and Peaceful being tolerant isn't particularly weird, though.

I'm not sure what you're talking about or why are you responding this to me. This decision, called Form the Holy Roman Empire, is broken and doesn't work.

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Decisions#Form_HRE_early

I'm not sure what you're talking about or why are you responding this to me. This decision, called Form the Holy Roman Empire, is broken and doesn't work.

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Decisions#Form_HRE_early
He's saying that "Holy Roman Emperor" was only a title given to Charlemagne and that the Empire as we know it wouldn't exist until Otto. Which is true, but it's kind of beside the point. No one can form the HRE at all currently.

Just playing as the d' Anjous around 1180. Crusade is called for Pommerania so I join hoping to get loads of cash and treasures for my trouble. A little earlier one of my daughters had turned out to be a bear - okay sure. Her bear son is about 18 at this point and seems like the best person to be my beneficiary so I nominate him. I narrowly get the most participation and now there is Bear Crusader King of Pommerania. It was the last outpost of paganism and so he has a pretty good chance to actually survive and build a long lasting bear kingdom up there.

I love this game.

While playing as the Duke of Hijaz in an ironman game, once the crusade for Jerusalem kicked off, I most certainly joined against it. However, when I attached my troops to the Fatamid's army, it never moved. Although initially the Fatamid forces vastly outnumbered the crusading armies, the Sultan never moved his armies from Alexandria or Farama. Does the AI need new tweaking to counter the crusades?

Can female religious leaders get proper titles? I reformed the Bon as a Tibetan emperor and got the title Dalai Lama, neat, but when my daughter inherited she was the 'Duchess'. :p

Here is the thing... It is terribly unrealistic for Reformed Germanic Rulers to consistently rule a vast area for 115 years at a range of different MA levels, and hardly have an effect on the fractured catholic populations, especially when those fractured catholic religions haze zero MA. To top it off, it seemed that none of the Reformed Germanic Rulers (everyone) were converting their counties, even at a relatively high Moral Authority!

The year 1150 map I posted shows that there is more Germanic in parts of the east, but that is only through a few mass conversions, not proselytizing. As we know, The base chance of conversion is already much lower for religions without Proselytizing. We also know that the chance of County Conversion already reduces a great deal as the MA becomes very low. With these facts in mind, the question is, why should players have to deal with the extra hurdle of their vassals not even attempting to convert anything at all? This hurdle doesn't add anything for roleplay, and is much more of a hassle to all religions without proselytizing than it is an extra layer of depth for the player experience or even for the sake of realism.

Last edited:
Here is the thing... It is terribly unrealistic for Reformed Germanic Rulers to consistently rule a vast area for 115 years at a range of different MA levels, and hardly have an effect on the fractured catholic populations, especially when those fractured catholic religions haze zero MA. To top it off, it seemed that none of the Reformed Germanic Rulers (everyone) were converting their counties, even at a relatively high Moral Authority!

The year 1150 map I posted shows that there is more Germanic in parts of the east, but that is only through a few mass conversions, not proselytizing. As we know, The base chance of conversion is already much lower for religions without Proselytizing. We also know that the chance of County Conversion already reduces a great deal as the MA becomes very low. With these facts in mind, the question is, why should players have to deal with the extra hurdle of their vassals not even attempting to convert anything at all? This hurdle doesn't add anything for roleplay, and is much more of a hassle to all religions without proselytizing than it is an extra layer of depth for the player experience or even for the sake of realism.
It is not achievement compatible, but I have adjusted other religious natures to desire conversion in my personal mod.