• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #110 - It's not a bug.

The Bugs of Holy Fury!

Holy Fury development was a long and winding road, and along that road were, believe it or not a few bugs. Let me tell you about some of them.

Emperor Assassin
This one is a personal favorite of mine. Upon adding the kill list to track character kills we noticed that, the Chinese Emperor had the most kills. Upon further investigation we realised he was getting the credit for an event where a Chinese Noble is assassinated by China. So the Emperor was personally sneaking into their room at night and strangling them with a piece of silk.

lmns46qp46rIFYDlAm-9AYb62thSIa0tLK_z6uW944_L4Of8u2pTlwa_LeGaTf9ZmvJ9hdEOsa-hsDslFNYmeHz0BpISnmpxeN4SHEJEcTorgb91FPIvwwB_jHCGAU-hK0IZBlNK
BW8sttXf5Glm0ejOp-hchjRVYsaMzjXFWVI0F5wm5Fq2Qh5mR4_p4QJzvHb2-7Xj7viVYsAnxcHoTsstQESKzguEOjNOAs_1a1JauSnyKf-OCOa2vYljOIr4yWs0RrekFPFw_Sxx

Dramatic recreation

Escape Armour
When we added the new battle events, a wonderful new event was added where it is possible to throw down one of your artifacts to distract your opponent when you run away. Unfortunately/ fortunately this included the armour you were wearing. The mental image of you slipping out of your armour on the battlefield is wonderful. Infact this bug was so good we made it a feature.

ad6WQQM8ZPWQwOVAVT1iDNytperuO693qHi7OJJx2VrKJg3uXIRJf46apLEBa-lSuZQRT4v-vHa-ZtWNA_ozWzOK7ygINAXfTv3giwmtyP3xdEiKO_uUUIik_km0m2kU5Gl1T0Hh

Imprisoning everyone

Using some fun commands and curiosity one dev managed to imprison everyone in the world. Unfortunately unpausing the game would cause the whole thing to crash, who would have guessed eh?

zXg560h_X9UL41-q2IQYtJoiab2zj6TfwC6EjguEFuylRAf2-x5OG_lrzUuS60J7W0edpfF60AQT2A0ED-MpWtZQc_NLjxFUnClef-ZsP5rAkaiQ7k1LZp6ggsBbpslb87Jyo05u

Confused Pope
The Pope is annoyed if you go on the fourth crusade but even more annoyed if you don’t show up. I guess the pope despite his best attempts just can’t resist a crusade.

GOZ54cgtHqQN5-SOPJ8jPKHbxu2_QuYJZrbe7VnI8I3uDM2QgbsFJmyW8N0T-5xD6JYL8IJEDbrYBb6cRTALFPsjsnGsmk4kMG_9yVDf9zIa1zHZycMOX4MTlTKnU3rwzhSGe4pl

Hairless animals
Animals entering the barbershop would crash the game since they “lack hair”.

UI-scaling
Implementing UI scaling was as simple as flipping a switch, our coders didn’t have to do any work at all.
czgvthp7FeGSJhVjgrDcx_wPIvhghEIFpAcY4JCXAp1Sxnea4VU2DIsA2dRwgL1EaJW3bprWb8fZMfv2nqNPVzkNdXrl6d-xTdbiLhyEVp7IxjspR7NKoE8PNRYTemIUIz9rZWAe

Great Strength
When duels were getting their upgrade, it was implemented so different weapons would be used including bare hands. Due to some variables not being set up yet this led to people consistently severing limbs with their bare hands.

3kYOJTxv9Qd2sdti5JjQyyiOTWdgv--S-C7xZrrmV3UL9BRRcQ3-bZ8ZpOfyyJqVExH71HXjmtKEwDRY6r6Lz-aKqlzdSl1FL2IaMOjAJG3bRo5jdf6bjenlY8R5H85x5BBYLQEi

AI problems
The AI, just before winning a crusade decided to set their crusade beneficiary and who better to benefit from the crusade than their 80 year old syphilitic, non-dynastic aunt?

Thanks for reading!

Dan

Im asking here because I don’t want to start a new thread about this, but did something change un the 769 create HRE decision? Did they chamge a something in the requirements or is it a bug?

What is up with Copts having Greek portraits? Does anyone in Paradox genuinely believe that Christian Egyptians look like Greeks rather than their Muslim compatriots? This is what I was worried about when they announced that they would separate Muslim Egyptians and Christian Egyptians into two ethnicities. This is basically whitewashing. Coptic Christians are NOT Greeks/Europeans and they certainly don't belong in the Byzantine group. The Byzantine Empire was an occupying force in Egypt that terrorized local Christians throughout most of their rule. The Era of Martyrs began during Byzantine rule, not after the Muslim conquest. If anything they should be in the East African group with their fellow coreligionists (Nubians and Ethiopians) with whom they share a linguistic and cultural heritage as well.

What is up with Copts having Greek portraits? Does anyone in Paradox genuinely believe that Christian Egyptians look like Greeks rather than their Muslim compatriots? This is what I was worried about when they announced that they would separate Muslim Egyptians and Christian Egyptians into two ethnicities. This is basically whitewashing. Coptic Christians are NOT Greeks/Europeans and they certainly don't belong in the Byzantine group. The Byzantine Empire was an occupying force in Egypt that terrorized local Christians throughout most of their rule. The Era of Martyrs began during Byzantine rule, not after the Muslim conquest. If anything they should be in the East African group with their fellow coreligionists (Nubians and Ethiopians) with whom they share a linguistic and cultural heritage as well.

They are probably in the Byzantien group because Egypt was under Roman-Byzantine rule for 600 years give or take and Coptic was heavily influenced by the Greeks and Romans during the 900 year (again give or take) Graeco-Roman period.

regardless of the pros and cons of Paradox having two separate Egyptian cultures, one Christianized one Islamised, and if they should use the same portraits etc please don't get all dramatic over it. That's just going to be as ugly as the stupid Ancient Egyptian race debates that rear their ugly head way to often.

and mercenary captains have access to grace store no matter where they are even britain or venice

That's because they're landless. I think that if they've got a barony at least they shouldn't have grace at all. Anyway, considering that mercenaries wander around the world, narratively it's not a nonsense that they can interact with China (maybe a mercenary wouldn't contact that powerful character, but considering that to earn grace you need a lot of gold or good objects, a mercenary who can get and gift that would be famous). In fact, the kotow action makes more sense to a landless wandering character than to a mighty and respected emperor.

Landless and landed character rules are really bad designed (I love you still, Paradox ;D). Hope that with the new engine you can solve that in a hypothetical CK III.

Last edited:

You make a lot of historical shortcuts there. The era of the martyrs designates the period of the Roman emperors BEFORE the conversion of Constantine. Byzantine Egypt was not at all a place of tyranny or whatever,but it was the religious divisions between Monophysites (Coptic) and Nicene (Orthodox and Catholic) that caused the Egyptians to be divided face to the muslim conquest and that some cities opened their doors. If we look at the Coptic revolts under the Abbasids, it is clear that the status of mawali was during a long time a form of Arab segregation of neo-converts to Islam and Christian and Jewish dhimmis. So, there is nothing wrong with representing the Copts as a population of culture and ethnicity separate from that of the Arab rulers and nothing wrong representing them in the byzantine culture group because that is what they were.

I feel like there should be a rare event chain about Chinese Emperor travelling West and going on a mad killing spree. The player could choose to track them down and either help them (becoming friends as a result) or stop them.

That would certainly be put under the "absurd events" options in the start screen :D

Im asking here because I don’t want to start a new thread about this, but did something change un the 769 create HRE decision? Did they chamge a something in the requirements or is it a bug?
It is a bug in the code and should be fixed in the patch, whenever that happens.

Another interesting thing i noticed when i was trying to force the HRE creation (due to the 769 no decision bug), if you're EMPRAH then you can actually usurp the Papacy. Definitely not supposed to be that way.

They are probably in the Byzantien group because Egypt was under Roman-Byzantine rule for 600 years give or take and Coptic was heavily influenced by the Greeks and Romans during the 900 year (again give or take) Graeco-Roman period.

regardless of the pros and cons of Paradox having two separate Egyptian cultures, one Christianized one Islamised, and if they should use the same portraits etc please don't get all dramatic over it. That's just going to be as ugly as the stupid Ancient Egyptian race debates that rear their ugly head way to often.
I think having the copts in the byzantine group is fine, however they should use Arab portraits. Oh and we have a good idea what Egyptians looked like during roman Egypt. They looked more less the same as today.

It is a bug in the code and should be fixed in the patch, whenever that happens.

Another interesting thing i noticed when i was trying to force the HRE creation (due to the 769 no decision bug), if you're EMPRAH then you can actually usurp the Papacy. Definitely not supposed to be that way.
That's not the papacy that's k_romagna. It's working as it's suppose too.

I think PDX should have created a whole new culture group, but instead it looks like they Copt out.

(I'll let myself out . . .) :p

I think having the copts in the byzantine group is fine, however they should use Arab portraits. Oh and we have a good idea what Egyptians looked like during roman Egypt. They looked more less the same as today.

I know, I've just seen to many idiotic debates where a white nationalist or supremacist claims the Ancient Egyptians were Aryan etc or some Afrocentrist or what not saying they were pitch black etc.

Some of the ones that struck me as funnier than others:

Members of Holy Orders are constantly inheriting kingdoms. They properly leave it and become king like if you push their claim, but stay celibate and whatnot, which gets a little weird sometimes, really messes with the sequence of things... looks like the HO gov't type doesn't disinherit at all right now. The celibate Byzantine Emperors seem to have a much longer life expectancy than the other ones...

If you're already Fat, spending extra on a feast may have the icon and tooltip saying you'll lose Fat if you do it! (You do not.) Considering it never warned the times it did give the trait makes it extra wonky.

When vassals are fighting, right-clicking them often shows "Peace with Knights of Calatrava" or "Surrender to Knights Templar" instead of whoever they're actually fighting.

If you go uncrowned for too long, vassal bishops may start gossiping, and you can correct them with either Diplomacy or Learning, except the Diplomacy option is lecturing them about Church doctrine and the Learning one lectures them about their place as a vassal

The monastic orders can ask you to Go on a Pilgrimage when you don't have the Theology focus, and it adds the option to the Decisions menu... but if you pick visiting a saint's tomb, it doesn't count. You get the Pilgrim trait and all, and that's your one Pilgrimage, but the missions stays eternally unclearable, you have to dismiss it. This goes on the "funny" list for me because the mission DOES say to "visit one of the holy cities", not aunt Emma's grave down the street just because she's a saint...

The "Emulate a Legend" thing will say one thing in the tooltip for the button, but show the icon for a different trait entirely. I was given the option to emulate an ancestor's trait, the icon was for Paranoid... I got Craven, which I only noticed was the tooltip on the button as I pressed it. Similarly, if you befriend someone at a feast, it will say that you and Roger (or whoever) become friends, while showing the indicator icon for an entirely different person

I don't know if it's a bug, but there sure are a lot of Wicked Priests becoming Cardinals these days, I never remember that happening so much...

and I'll just let these two speak for themselves

20181127001131_1.jpg
20181126213506_1.jpg

I noted that when i adjust the name of a title and restart my game, that it resets it back to what it was. Title in question was d_deira which i renamed York
That's not the papacy that's k_romagna. It's working as it's suppose too.
Just checked it again, from the 769 start. It was the k_papal_state not k_romagna. Thanks for the attempted insight though. I have no idea why/how it was giving me the option to usurp the papacy.

I noted that when i adjust the name of a title and restart my game, that it resets it back to what it was. Title in question was d_deira which i renamed York

Just checked it again, from the 769 start. It was the k_papal_state not k_romagna. Thanks for the attempted insight though. I have no idea why/how it was giving me the option to usurp the papacy.
k_papal_state becomes k_romagna if the pope loses all his holding in italy or the player upsurps it.