Would there be any interest in this?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

What would you do?

• Yes, I'd like to join, and code my own game.

Votes: 188 27,7%
  • Sounds good, I look forward to this.

Votes: 456 67,2%
  • No opinion

Votes: 22 3,2%
  • I don't like it.

Votes: 13 1,9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Martial-law said:
I would request them to remove the online activation/installation system and the reason is that I don't like to remain dependent on anyone after I buy something I should be able to burn it to my CDs as I wish it that way. I like keeping my precious CDs safely and wish to think that I own them so I dont like to be dependent on anyone for the installation and activation. I know many people also think like me. :)

I'm not sure I'm allowed to say this, but as i don't consider storing the setup file on a cd as a violation of anything, I'll do it anyway.

It's fairly easy to get the raw setup files, so you don't need the installer.
you can simply copy the files from the gamersgate directory after you've started the install but before you proceed with it.

Martial-law said:
One thing I would suggest them is that since the games would be available from Gamersgate I would request them to remove the online activation/installation system and the reason is that I don't like to remain dependent on anyone after I buy something I should be able to burn it to my CDs as I wish it that way. I like keeping my precious CDs safely and wish to think that I own them so I dont like to be dependent on anyone for the installation and activation. I know many people also think like me. :)

There is nothing preventing you from copying the entire game folder once it is installed to a CD to preserve your purchase..... This is true of all of Paradox's games since day one.

The downloading system in place currently with Gamersgate is to prevent pirating.... and i think it is perfectly legitimate of Gamersgate to have this protection.

Corey

Most wonderful idea!!

I would most definitely like to look the 'fine print' if HOI2_1.3a is made available.

Many sincere thanks!
:D

Thomas Paine said:
The idea is great.
Personally, I am just a text file modder lacking the proper programming skills to make use of this offer.

Well in a more 'collective effort' no one person need know everything.
:cool:

Johan said:
We're thinking about an releasing the sourcecode of a few older games to people with programming knowledge, and an interest in the games. You would get the opportunity to make your own expansion/boosterpack of our games, which you could then sell through gamersgate and earn money on your work. We would provide a forum for those involved, where you can communicate and get support.

We see this as an excellent opportunity to increase the life of the products and for our fans who improve the games to earn some extra money. Of course you would have to sign NDA's and a contract for it.

What is NDA and how do I sign it ?

Terminator said:
What is NDA and how do I sign it ?
Non-disclousure act. Basicly, you agree that you are not to tell tell anybody about anything you´ve learned about the source save those who have also signed a NDA and the dev team offcourse.

You sign it using a pen :)

White Daimon said:
Non-disclousure act. Basicly, you agree that you are not to tell tell anybody about anything you´ve learned about the source save those who have also signed a NDA and the dev team offcourse.

You sign it using a pen :)

Which means I in person will have to come to Stockholm for signing papers, is that correct ?

Or can Paradox FedEx it to me and I will send it back with my signature ?

Terminator said:
Or can Paradox FedEx it to me and I will send it back with my signature ?
I´ve never signed a paradox NDA, but its my understanding that it won´t involve airplane trips and signing papers while Johan personly watches it.

I think you just sign it and fax or mail it back to them (I don't recall if they require it to be notarized).

NDA actually directly means Non Disclosure Agreement. Standard for anyone doing any authorized development work in any IT field, and any technology development company for that matter.

I wonder how things a progressing with this.

In a couple of weeks i'll finish school for good, and i need something to do.
When they first posted this I had hope this could be part of that something.
But it's seems i'll have to wait a little longer.

hopefully they will soon come up with a workable solution for all of us, and the community can start working on their projects.

Dietmar1982 said:
I wonder how things a progressing with this.

In a couple of weeks i'll finish school for good, and i need something to do.
When they first posted this I had hope this could be part of that something.
But it's seems i'll have to wait a little longer.

hopefully they will soon come up with a workable solution for all of us, and the community can start working on their projects.
I agree; I was thinking the same thing. I suppose the prospects for permanent employment of this sort are not great, but I guess it doesn't hurt to dream. :)

MichaelM said:
I agree; I was thinking the same thing. I suppose the prospects for permanent employment of this sort are not great, but I guess it doesn't hurt to dream. :)

even as a prospect for a part time source of income it isn't exactly bad either.

OHgamer said:
even as a prospect for a part time source of income it isn't exactly bad either.
Yes, but part of the question is the time involved. If I have a full-time job, that sort of limits how much work I can do on this project. And less work means that "my" version would probably not be as good as someone else's, which means that no one would want mine....

OHgamer said:
As long as one is not paid in dollars. :D

Jayavarman said:
As long as one is not paid in dollars. :D

I'm sure that will all be detailed in the NDA Paradox develops with each outsourcing team that contracts to work with Paradox, since it will have to take into account where those teams themselves live.

This is all very nice indeed! Pretty good new things for the games (I specially look forward to Vicky improvements). I hope there will be an option to switch between the different improvements too, so people who buy multiple improvements don't need to do multiple installations. By the way, will Paradox look through the content before it is released to make sure of the quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.