Would there be any interest in this?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

What would you do?

• Yes, I'd like to join, and code my own game.

Votes: 188 27,7%
  • Sounds good, I look forward to this.

Votes: 456 67,2%
  • No opinion

Votes: 22 3,2%
  • I don't like it.

Votes: 13 1,9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
heretic013 said:
are your lithuanian?
or from other baltic states?

I don't even know. I am what I want to be for the day (or week).

I mod too. AoE was almost done! Than I got a new computer :eek:o

cool-toxic said:
To prevent the thread from going OT. I just want to say that Paradox Interactive always has had and still got great close relations and contact with the players. Just think of our lead programmer, Johan. He writes with us as if we were another guy on the programming team.

Very much true. Paradox games are great, but I'm still in awe over EU3, with my new comp and 8600 graphics card... :eek:o

Victoria is still fun for me, so was my last game of EU2 (right before I got my new comp... :eek:o )

Boy am I tired! Must be that cold air blowing in :D

Dominik said:
@Wenceslaus II - I don't know what Russian women have common with us, Poles?
QUOTE]

Russian women and Poles have 2 things in common :

1) they drink vodka

2) Both are hairy

For real women, look western europe, or South East Asia.

Totally OT? Not necessary, because better to say that rather than point out Johann is certainly a personn who have great communication skills (he proved it since 2002). Alas, as he is also lead programmer, he certainly does not have time to answer every time a spoiled kid is asking him when this or that will be released.

In real life legal stuffs take time.

ericb said:
Russian women and Poles have 2 things in common :

1) they drink vodka

2) Both are hairy

For real women, look western europe, or South East Asia.

ericB, shall I report to the moderators that you are dangerously close to breaking General Rule number 5 and 6 for stating such untrue and unfair stereotypes?

lol @ SE asia.

lol @ hairy. hairy = I wish. That would apply to every part of their bodies, where hair could be applied. Most have like, no hair, except on their heads, based on my naked eye and eyeing naked observations. :p mm.

My wife is polish, so I will NOT comment any further :p . But she does NOT drink Vodka at all. Her father did event not drink Champagne at our wedding.....

ooops, already commented..... :D

Please keep the chit-chat at a minimum, go to the OT forum for it. Keep this up, the thread gets closed and one won't be able to post any legitimate questions and proposals.

Hive said:
Johan already stated that lawyers are looking into it. If nothing new has happened since then, what's there to post about?

My post supporting your position in reply to a previous post.

I'm sure Johan is a very busy person with many responsibilities. He probably works 12 hours per day. His team is currently working on the last HOI II Armageddon patch and I would prefer he do constructive things creating great games for us instead of spending time responding to all fans questions. If he took the time to respond to all of our questions there would be no time for work or sleep! :eek:

Last edited:
Dominik said:
ericB, shall I report to the moderators that you are dangerously close to breaking General Rule number 5 and 6 for stating such untrue and unfair stereotypes?

I went during the summer 1977 to play Rugby in the south of Poland (it was a tour), and I witnessed males and females drinking vodka. I do witnessed the same 1983 when I wassent for professionnal reasons in Moscow (4 month ) there.

I can also swear ladies from both countries have a lot of hairs, in places where usually ladies does not have (at least in France or in South East Asia).

First hand witness, sorry mate.

Anyway, to make you feel better, French ladies use to drink 'Marc' (white alcohool made from grappe), or In Toulouse even the grand'ma love pub's brawl, Asian ladies have no hairs, but are skinny. Even if you want to tease me, I do have feet like a bozo.

It's not about stereotypes, it's all about humor and teasing.

Alas, three times alas, I am affraid to notice you seems (I can be wrong) acting LIKE a spoil kid (I am not saying you are one, but I do say your postings here make you look like one).

Mai Pen Rai as they use to say in Thailand.

Adm. Spruance said:
My post supporting your position in reply to a previous post.

I'm sure Johan is a very busy person with many responsibilities. He probably works 12 hours per day. His team is currently working on the last HOI II Armageddon patch and I would prefer he do constructive things creating great games for us instead of spending time responding to all fans questions. If he took the time to respond to all of our questions there would be no time for work or sleep! :eek:

I second that, Johann job is to not only to code but also manage a coders ' team. Being is the very same position I can swear he certainly not work 12h a day, but more certainly nearly 80 hours a week.

I think it's not necessary for Johan to post here, it could be a duty of someone like Susana or Flori... they are responsible for the contact with community too.

Wow, talk about commitment.

This is one of the greatest things I have ever seen a gaming company do :)

I can't program myself but would love to help out with events etc. to anyone who starts modding.

Also, I am sorry if this has been answered or if it is not possible with C++ (as I said, I know very little of programming), but I read quickly through the entire thread so may have missed it - will this mean that people could for example port the games to native Linux? That would be great.

HOI2 for Linux - then I could finally get rid of Windows :)

ElQuapo it is possible but AFAIK it would require at least a rewrite of the rendering part of the engine to stop using DirectX and switch to OpenGL plus the IO (input-output) part, and maybe some memory management routines too.

edit: forgot about the networking code, propably because I rarely play MP :) This part would need some work too.

The difficulty of these tasks depends on how well those parts are separated from the rest of the game code (if well, there's just a number of methods/functions to reimplement, if not - the entire game code must be inspected to find all calls to such functions).

Last edited:
Simon B said:
Since EU : Rome coming out pretty soon, will EUIII be considered an old game? :D So we can at last have an historical EUIII :eek:
I would say that's highly improbable. But a month ago I would have said the entire concept was improbable, so who knows? :)

I think it would be great if we would get access to all 2D games, that would be fine. I think release of EU3 source code is impossible at this stage.

I fully support this idea! It creates endless potentials to create games as per the community's wishes. I would love to see a Victoria based on the Clio map and representing the Cold War period and I would love to participate with my suggessions and advises in this project providing as much information as I can. I think a Cold War version should have airplanes, tanks and nukes too. Also there should be a system to avoid a nuclear war, making it too difficult. I have some great ideas for the game without a nuclear war. Also may be in future we could see some combination of the best features of HOIs and Victoria thus producing truly great game! Since sometime I had been very dissappointed in Paradox not releasing some game like Victoria but with this decision Paradox/Johan have given me a new hope and it has revived the Paradox of the past in my mind with a great future to look forward to!!! One thing I would suggest them is that since the games would be available from Gamersgate I would request them to remove the online activation/installation system and the reason is that I don't like to remain dependent on anyone after I buy something I should be able to burn it to my CDs as I wish it that way. I like keeping my precious CDs safely and wish to think that I own them so I dont like to be dependent on anyone for the installation and activation. I know many people also think like me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.