Would there be any interest in this?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
We're thinking about an releasing the sourcecode of a few older games to people with programming knowledge, and an interest in the games. You would get the opportunity to make your own expansion/boosterpack of our games, which you could then sell through gamersgate and earn money on your work. We would provide a forum for those involved, where you can communicate and get support.

We see this as an excellent opportunity to increase the life of the products and for our fans who improve the games to earn some extra money. Of course you would have to sign NDA's and a contract for it.

Last edited:
hildoceras said:
what kind of restrictions will apply ? Will the code be free in the sense of a GNU license, will there be royalties to Paradox or whoever, etc. ?

the limits are not precised

We would sell everything through gamersgate and own the copyright. All code developed would be accessible for those in the program.

We had the following assets.

* A game-engine that strategygames can be built in, with several version for various game-types.
* A distribution system where amount of sales is irrelevant for being distributed at all, that scales nicely.
* A large community of people that wants to make their own dreams come true.

Reactions:
cool-toxic said:
However one little question.

Johan when selling the game at Gamersgate are we allowed to put some of your original files in the game? Or else we would need to make alot of files like graphic. ;)

It can use anything from that game, and everything you have made yourselves.

Hive said:
How about mixing the games?

Could I, for example, use CK sprites for EU2? Or the Victoria map for HoI?

I have to get back on you on that, but I don't see any major problems with it.

bwyb00 said:
What form would this package take? Somes kind of a ready to build Visual Studio project or a bunch of files with "How to build" instructions?

should be an vc6 project with the sourcefiles.

Whoa! :eek:

Now to determine what to vote :)
...I think I'll go with the safe vote (I need more time in a day, can someone release the source code for THAT please? :) ) and say "I look forward to this".

fuzzbug said:
I had thought of suggesting this but I assumed I would just be laughed at!!!

For some reason I thought modern games were programmed in a more advanced (eg GUI focused) OOL than C++ but everyone seems to think Paradox still use C++. Oh well, although it is some years since I programmed in C++, I guess I will get back into it soon enough.

not really.. pretty much all gamedevelopment is still done in c++ AND assembler around the world.

I'd be very interesting in working on an AI mod for EU2. That'd be a non-profit project obviously since I've noted AI isn't main selling point of games these days. :p

cool-toxic said:
Inferis was allowed to look at bits of the source code for EU2.. Still took alot of time to crack the files and then make programs. And Inferis is very skilled. :) So it will make the task easier, but will still take alot of time I guess.. :(

IMO the CK map is so ugly you better totally replace it instead. :D

It's probably better to release code freely to community, with a license clause saying that if the goal is to produce a commerical derivative product it has to be sold and distributed through Paradox. Obviously it should also be Paradox' right whether to accept or reject the product based on its quality/market potential. However, if the intent is to produce free additions to existing games then it should incur no fees to the licensee.

leggbros said:
First, this is a very innovative approach, letting modders officially have access to the source code is something I've personally never heard of (but it probably has happened).

It's not very innovative nor is it particulary uncommon. Plenty of (especially FPS) games have parts of their source-code released (for free with a restricting license agreement) to allow deeper modding than is otherwise possible. Any good mods created boost popularity of these games; some mods have gone on to be commericialized (an example would be Counter-Strike, which used to be one of the world's most popular games).

Remember, at the very least, small source-code fix mods for EU2 would still require the original game. People would get an incentive to buy it. Still I would't get overly excited about selling EU2 or derivatives to non-core Paradox fans, for the same reason Paradox switched to 3D for EU3.

So at the end of the day, there are two reasons: 1) Boost popularity of and completely leave patching to modders for older titles, 2) If a mod turns out to be *very* good Paradox may decide to sell it (because their license agreement says they can).

White Daimon said:
Reminds me. Its been 2 weeks since the announcement, some additional info would be nice paradox :)

Well, this was just a "is it any interest?". Now we are working on actually getting a contract-template written up, and that will take time, as we need to consult lawyers.

Basically, what we (our lawyers) have been working on is a contract that gives you LICENSE rights to code and use, AND a publishing deal (on gg) for the game at the same time.

I'd expect it to be a few more weeks, and then we'd be able to present the plan.

martmol said:
so, if i understand well, there will be a sellect group of modders alowed to use the source code? and then sell it through gamers gate? well if thats true that stinks:p. cause i'm quite intrested in programming, but dont want to devote myself in a team and work day and night on mod..

you can sign a contract for this for yourself if you want to. can be as many groups or individuals as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.