Why did we pick 1337 for the start year?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It is clear to see how the EU IV mod Meiou & Taxes has influenced the choices for EU V and I'm glad Gigau is with Paradox!
I'm with Paradox, heart and soul... for soon 19 years (well a little more as there was some months between my randomly stumbling on EUII in a supermarket and my joiing the forum)... :p

But, as Lord Lambert said, i'm not a Paradox employee.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Thanks for the update! Some questions:

Are you going to model sub-national and interpersonal politics? If not, how do you intend to represent the dynamics that drove conflicts during the late medieval period? EU4 already struggled to represent non-state actors and non-unitary states -- see France flipping multiple times between unitary state and vassal swarm over the past decade.

Brett Devereaux wrote a long series of posts on EU4. Do you plan to incorporate any of his suggestions into EU5, particularly on institutions and why Europe invested in cannon while India and China did not?https://acoup.blog/2021/05/28/collections-teaching-paradox-europa-universalis-iv-part-iv-why-europe/

How will you avoid making every country super-generic, and destroying replayability, as happened in Imperator, CK3, and Vic 3?

All of the titles released by PDX since Stellaris require multi-year reworks following release. Stellaris and Imperator today both are basically unrecognizable from their release versions. Vic3 seems to be on the same path of getting major reworks to its core systems, albeit at a much slower pace. Do you see this need for major system reworks post-release as a problem?
STOP
STOP
STOP

THAT NERD'S IDEAS DONT NEED TO BE IN THE GAME

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Yes exactly. And the world being in a complete ahistorical mess by the time you get there. Can't wait...
IF THE GAME LOOKS TOTALLY MESS ONLY 100 YEARS IN I think they will have failed

It seems like they are trying to make the game evolve more realistically with the control system. We will see if conquest is similarly limited, how succession works and whatnot; if it goes well, then it should be recognizable 100 years in

• 1Like
Reactions:
STOP
STOP
STOP

I think something similar to that is hard to be avoided, speaking of the transition from feudalism to modern states & from feudal levies to standing armies.

But such things are too abstract and Johan may not be able to give a specific answer, or he might plan to release this in some proper time by TInto Talks...

Anyway, these two transitions are the most exciting parts among all to me.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think something similar to that is hard to be avoided, speaking of the transition from feudalism to modern states & from feudal levies to standing armies.

But such things are too abstract and Johan may not be able to give a specific answer, or he might plan to release this in some proper time by TInto Talks...

Anyway, these two transitions are the most exciting parts among all to me.
Yes of course the transition will be modelled

But Brett Devereaux, the balding middle age midwit, did not come up with it, so people need to stop citing him. they think he's special just because he's a 'historian' who talked about eu4

Reactions:
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
STOP
STOP
STOP

I love it when someone uses nerd as an insult in a map game forum about a game that doesn't even have a name out yet. Get with the program bro this is where 30-something IT guys and history BA's yell at each other about Byzantium

• 18Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I love it when someone uses nerd as an insult in a map game forum about a game that doesn't even have a name out yet. Get with the program bro this is where 30-something IT guys and history BA's yell at each other about Byzantium
I guess some people care more about the historical aspects and others care more about the power fantasy ‍¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions:
There are good nerds and there are bad nerds

Brett is of the latter type, because he doesn't know his place. His place is the accumulate facts and be entertaining, but too often he veers off into nonsense and his own personal opinions.

And of course his opinions are invariably of the type that a person bullied in high school would have (Spartans were evil and not even good warriors, warriors are bad, Europe is evil and everything good that ever happened to Europe was just because of luck/geography, etc).

Johan is a good nerd, he uses his nerd powers to make good games. Plus he is lovable and funny.

Brett uses his nerd powers (which are in any case of an inferior sort- otherwise he'd do something productive with his life) for critique in a smug manner

• 4Haha
Reactions:
There are good nerds and there are bad nerds

Brett is of the latter type, because he doesn't know his place. His place is the accumulate facts and be entertaining, but too often he veers off into nonsense and his own personal opinions.

And of course his opinions are invariably of the type that a person bullied in high school would have (Spartans were evil and not even good warriors, warriors are bad, Europe is evil and everything good that ever happened to Europe was just because of luck/geography, etc).

Johan is a good nerd, he uses his nerd powers to make good games. Plus he is lovable and funny.

Brett uses his nerd powers (which are in any case of an inferior sort- otherwise he'd do something productive with his life) for critique in a smug manner
1713641372245.png

• 3Haha
Reactions:
  • 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
idk I feel the personal attacks towards a well respected historian who happens to be friends with several PDX community members and also probably devs too is not the wisest idea.

Real suggestion; delete your silly comments.
This is really rich cpming from Lambert of all people, who beefs with random people on the forum

Brett Devereaux is cited by many on the forum, but if his ideas are implemented it will make the game worse

"Well respected historian" means nothing. They give history degrees to pretty much anybody; your average school teacher is more accomplished and intelligent

Reactions:
This is really rich cpming from Lambert of all people, who beefs with random people on the forum
Oh for sure I do, but I don't think I've ever said this about any of the people I have had disagreements with
balding middle age midwit

I think you're just mad cause you like Sparta and think they're cool and don't like that someone pointed out reality.

• 3Like
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
Oh for sure I do, but I don't think I've ever said this about any of the people I have had disagreements with

I think you're just mad cause you like Sparta and think they're cool and don't like that someone pointed out reality.
he didn't point out 'reality' he made inane insults to his superiors

"BU WHA ABOU DA POOR HEWOTS WAHHH! SWAEVERY BAD!"
"DIDNT U KNO THE SPARTANS DONT EXIST ANYMORE? IF THEY WERE SO GOOD WHY WASNT THERE A SPARTA 2?!?!"

Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
As I recall, Imperator was initially very close to the "gamey" perspective that Johan thought made EUIV successful, especially with the focus on expansion and the 4 types of monarch points. It became better and attracted a loyal fanbase when a lot of things became less instant and mechanics like founding cities and managing religion and culture.

So, to me, Johan took the advices of people who want a game with more simulation, and went away from the boardgame feeling. And that's exactly what I want.

• 5Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions: