Why did we pick 1337 for the start year?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It spreads differently via academic activity and via internet.
If someone is spreading reliable information from good sources on the internet, at least they're not spreading disinformation, which is the most typical means of things being spread "on the internet".

We're pretty far afield from 1337 start date discussing how learning spreads. But, hey, at least we're not arguing Rome vs Byzantium in the wrong thread, right?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I assure you, I am happy to read studies. I didn't make an assertion about the study I linked precisely because I had not read it. But, it at least is on or adjacent to the correct topic and is a fine example of the type of source material that has a good chance of validity (I didn't check sample sizes and the like to be sure, but this is a solid source site).

If you don't have sources, just don't claim to have them. If you do, let us see them as well. This is how knowledge spreads.
why would you post a study you did not read?

No one in internet arguments reads studies; or, rather, they quickly learn not to since no one else reads them

Reactions:
why would you post a study you did not read?

No one in internet arguments reads studies; or, rather, they quickly learn not to since no one else reads them
I'm a former professor of economics and specifically said I was posting it as an example, because I'm used to having to provide examples of sources to people making arguments in prose?

I did skim it enough to see it was actually comparing ancient regional Y-haplotypes to modern Y-haplotypes (specifically in Cyprus here), which is one of the means of determining genetic drift over time. It wasn't a perfect match or I'd have tried reading the whole thing before posting.

I will read stuff if you post it. I don't guarantee I'll agree with it. But, I assure you I'll read it unless its in a language I can't read and which doesn't have reliable translation available (I am currently struggling with an 18th century text written in a regional form of Spanish that doesn't translate well on either Spanish or Portugeuse for example, but, this is what you do if you want to read all of the physiocrats I suppose).

I'm always happy to read unread information of substance which could show me things I didn't know and potentially alter my worldview on some things.

And note, I was the guy who did all the reading in grad school decades ago, even if lots of others didn't, or made reading-sharing circles (everyone reads 1 book and shares the info in a smaller group session). So, I will read stuff even when others don't.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I did skim it enough to see it was actually comparing ancient regional Y-haplotypes to modern Y-haplotypes (specifically in Cyprus here), which is one of the means of determining genetic drift over time. It wasn't a perfect match or I'd have tried reading the whole thing before posting.
I think that the controversial things mainly come from the genetic study the field itself. It involves some ascribed factors which, I think, most of us would dislike it.

Anyway, Johan is about to wake up. Let's focus on the game itself then.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'm a former professor of economics and specifically said I was posting it as an example, because I'm used to having to provide examples of sources to people making arguments in prose?

I will read stuff if you post it. I don't guarantee I'll agree with it. But, I assure you I'll read it unless its in a language I can't read and which doesn't have reliable translation available (I am currently struggling with an 18th century text written in a regional form of Spanish that doesn't translate well on either Spanish or Portugeuse for example, but, this is what you do if you want to read all of the physiocrats I suppose).

I'm always happy to read unread information of substance which could show me things I didn't know and potentially alter my worldview on some things.

And note, I was the guy who did all the reading in grad school decades ago, even if lots of others didn't, or made reading-sharing circles (everyone reads 1 book and shares the info in a smaller group session). So, I will read stuff even when others don't.
this is exactly why i refused to engate in an argument of throwing studies - you didnt rea your own, why should I expect youll read what I post?

and in the end I am not so upset if a stranger on the internet persists in ignorance

• 1Like
Reactions:
If you guys wanna be the last speaker in the debate (metaphorically irrefutable) then come beat me up because I won't argue back and hopefully get this over with. xD

I envy those who were your students, since you evidently never give up on even the most hopeless cases. I can imagine many a horse were dragged, kicking and screaming, to water.

• 5Haha
Reactions:
this is exactly why i refused to engate in an argument of throwing studies - you didnt rea your own, why should I expect youll read what I post?

and in the end I am not so upset if a stranger on the internet persists in ignorance
I'll persist in believing you have no information if you don't post a link supporting your assertion that early greeks and latins were "whiter" than modern greeks and latins. But, do as you like.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I envy those who were your students, since you evidently never give up on even the most hopeless cases. I can imagine many a horse were dragged, kicking and screaming, to water.
I left the academy in 2006 to enter economic analysis and wealth management fields. I would have stayed my whole life if being an economics professor paid what my core needs were (including saving for a disabled child's lifetime needs after my and my wife's eventual anticipated death -- we are American, so, you better save for this).

I do still get texts from students asking me things like "How did you know where the price of gas would make demand more elastic years in advance?" and the like. So, I mean, I still haven't given up on them since I respond still. I loved that job. When I've fully funded everything I need for all life needs I will likely go back to it. I didn't like the parents calling to grade grub (aka beg for their kid to get an A when they deserved perhaps a B+) though and I imagine that is worse now.

• 3Like
Reactions:
  • 6Haha
Reactions:
We all agree. That's why we're not upset at you. :)
Honestly, I think there could have any better way to phrase it. I think we need to have fun on this forum firstly for ourselves and secondly not to disturb others from having fun. I don't want to make myself look like some "'teaching others", but an explicitly positive and optimistic atmosphere for discussion does remain important.

Reactions:
its not a 'nazi talking point' its just basic genetic evidence - romans and greeks prior to roman empire were whiter looking, they mixed with near east slaves, muslim conquest also brought mixture. You basically respond to scientific evidence with 'thats a witch talking point' like it disproves me (and now im no a witch)

The image portrayed the greeks as very swarthy, even swarthier than modern greeks, when in fact they more closely resembled northern europeans than the near east image they seem to be based on.

I wouldn't even care if it wasn't obvious that this was intentionally done to try and undermine the liking of Spartans (make them appear more foreign and not western)

obv. 'white as snow' is an exaggeration -

why do you think that modern peoples in med look identical to 2500 years ago? there has been several mass movements.
and lets not pretend like I brought it up, the guy i responded to was trying to undermine the western origin of the Spartans by making them appear like Arabs, which they were not (common myth you seem to believe in)

NOT that it is bad to be an Arab (I am not a witch)
You are entirely wrong. Greeks didn't look like Northern Europeans in antiquity, and only nazis think they did. We know their percentage of Old European Farmer and Western/Eastern Hunter Gatherer ethnicites, we can rebuild what they looked like. They looked mostly like Italians or Sardinians do today. Stop with the politically motivated misinformation.

• 6Like
Reactions:
  • 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Well at least they've finally been banned. Thank you, Paradox.
Well, I’m usually against censorship, but it’s true this guy wasn’t contributing much to the conversation about EUfi…/PC start date.

Reactions:
Reminds me of that 4chan meme that I won't post featuring an American caricature saying "let me tell you who's white".

Anyway, most people that play England in EU4 just give up on the HYW immediately. I assume they'll do the same in Empereur: Paris. I wonder how the HYW not happening will affect Europe. Will France just blob out of control?

he didn't point out 'reality' he made inane insults to his superiors

"BU WHA ABOU DA POOR HEWOTS WAHHH! SWAEVERY BAD!"
"DIDNT U KNO THE SPARTANS DONT EXIST ANYMORE? IF THEY WERE SO GOOD WHY WASNT THERE A SPARTA 2?!?!"
Nah sparta is massively overrated there were four countries in EU4 that claimed to be Rome 2.0 (or 3.0 I guess) but none claim to be Sparta.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Well at least they've finally been banned. Thank you, Paradox.
What had happened? I did not see any administrator’s yellow other than that of our poor Lambert by SAS.