Why did we pick 1337 for the start year?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Somebody probably reported some of his posts, you can do that. Or a moderator just passed the thread and took action without posting a reply, it's not like they have to tell us if someone gets banned.
That’s so efficient! I have clicked that button before when suffering some racial discrimination in the neighboring sub-forum and then… I do not know if anything had happened or not.

Last edited:
Yeah, at one point you get tired of reading the same-old repeated drivel from those types and just resort to reporting until they go away.

I got enough of that when I was on the HIP Discord server all those years ago.

What had happened? I did not see any administrator’s yellow other than that of our poor Lambert by SAS.
Strangely, I don't think the comment was edited at all.. everything I wrote is still there verbatim...

I like the idea of the starting date and what I've seen how the mechanics will be.

How ever I'm wondering what timespan Project Caesar will cover. Will it be the time till let's say the 11th of November 1444 or something like the first of January 1836?

I like the idea of the starting date and what I've seen how the mechanics will be.

How ever I'm wondering what timespan Project Caesar will cover. Will it be the time till let's say the 11th of November 1444 or something like the first of January 1836?
Johan said that it's about 500 yrs so probably 1835/1836

• 2Like
Reactions:
Mysterious Game beginning in 1337 instead of 1444 means so many interesting scenarios and alt history divergence points that we couldn't see in EU4, I a m a big fan of this refreshing date even if it may be difficult for the game's later pacing. Beyond what was said in the OP, 1337 also offers:

- Yuan Mongol dynasty ruling over China, entangled in wars with other Mongol empires, Vietnam, Korea, Japan and most importantly itself; so many ways it can go
- Japan being threatened by Mongols and in a completely different political era (shogunate not yet established)
- In SEA Khmer and Majapahit aren't yet in the phase of rapid decline (also Sukhothai instead of Ayutthaia)
- The entire Hindu India being threatened by the enormous Delhi Sultanate, which is also ironically its shield against Mongol invasions
- Mamluks being fully operational
- Very different situation in Iran and Central Asia (and imminent Tamerlane)
- Golden Horde changing the entire Eastern European dynamics
- Anatolia full of small Turkic states
- Ottoman travel from zero to hero (?)
- Thriving Balkans with numerous countries (including playable Bulgaria) which are not masochistic to play yet
- Numerous Rus principalities struggling against Golden Horde
- Pagan expansionist Lithuania which can go in many unpredictable directions
- Extremely different starting situation of Poland (struggling against many similarly strong threats on all sides)
- Playable Ukraine
- Very different political setup of HRE
- Hussite Wars
- Mighty Hanseatic League

So many interesting and new scenarios!

Reactions:
Mysterious Game beginning in 1337 instead of 1444 means so many interesting scenarios and alt history divergence points that we couldn't see in EU4, I a m a big fan of this refreshing date even if it may be difficult for the game's later pacing. Beyond what was said in the OP, 1337 also offers:

- Yuan Mongol dynasty ruling over China, entangled in wars with other Mongol empires, Vietnam, Korea, Japan and most importantly itself; so many ways it can go
- Japan being threatened by Mongols and in a completely different political era (shogunate not yet established)
- In SEA Khmer and Majapahit aren't yet in the phase of rapid decline (also Sukhothai instead of Ayutthaia)
- The entire Hindu India being threatened by the enormous Delhi Sultanate, which is also ironically its shield against Mongol invasions
- Mamluks being fully operational
- Very different situation in Iran and Central Asia (and imminent Tamerlane)
- Golden Horde changing the entire Eastern European dynamics
- Anatolia full of small Turkic states
- Ottoman travel from zero to hero (?)
- Thriving Balkans with numerous countries (including playable Bulgaria) which are not masochistic to play yet
- Numerous Rus principalities struggling against Golden Horde
- Pagan expansionist Lithuania which can go in many unpredictable directions
- Extremely different starting situation of Poland (struggling against many similarly strong threats on all sides)
- Playable Ukraine
- Very different political setup of HRE
- Hussite Wars
- Mighty Hanseatic League

So many interesting and new scenarios!
I think it's an open question at the moment if there actually will be interesting alt history content. There's no indication from the tinto talks as yet that making any of these big historical changes happen will actually have any consequences.

Chances are, if you win the hussite wars as a hussite, the game will keep trundling along as though you didn't and the protestant reformation will happen in exactly the same way around the 1500s. A different rus principality coming out on top will just form Russia like Muscovy would. The yuan dynasty holding on to the 1800s will get the same effect as if they were replaced by Ming and qing.

To use an extended analogy, if history is represented as a 52 card deck, then project ceaser looks to be shuffling that deck into it's 80 quintillion "unique" forms, but as anyone can tell you, once you've seen each individual card once every deck looks real damn similar. The tinto team should look to adding new cards to the deck, not just learning to shuffle better.

Last edited:
Reactions: