• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Seen him around, but didn't realise he was from north of the border.

EVERYTHING is north of the border to you, you're from New Zealand!

Cuz I don't wanna go.
Fair enough. I wouldn't want to play in a game without Paradoxians and which had more than 500 posts per day.

As we established in the last Big, I live north of Melbourne.
And contiguous parts of Chile and Argentina extend further south than New Zealand. But I think New Zealand would be the country with the most southerly northern extremity. At least contiguously - I think Uruguay is closest and it's 4 degrees of latitude higher.

Most New Zealanders do, actually.
Is that correct? Isn't it about 40% are north/level with Melbourne?

I'm as Canadian as the day is long.
Does that mean you're more Canadian in summer and less Canadian in winter? And if you're really far north where the day can last for months, does the top of your head flop about as you say "Sorreh" incessantly as you ride around on a moose collecting your free pharmaceuticals which you wash down with maple syrup as you play ice hockey dressed in flannel?

A boot. Two boots!

@Cliges: Probably. No one else is sticking up their own hand to have a vote off.

Is that correct? Isn't it about 40% are north/level with Melbourne?

The rule of thumb is that 75% of New Zealanders are north of Cook Strait, 67% north of Lake Taupo and 50% north of the Bombay Hills, with the distribution tilting further northward with time. I don't know how precise those figures are, but the Bombays are level with... Ararat in Australia, roughly.

The rule of thumb is that 75% of New Zealanders are north of Cook Strait, 67% north of Lake Taupo and 50% north of the Bombay Hills, with the distribution tilting further northward with time. I don't know how precise those figures are, but the Bombays are level with... Ararat in Australia, roughly.
The hinterland of Aukland must be rather densely populated - I was going by the fact that Aukland's ~32% and north of Melbourne and Hamilton's another few percent and level with Keilor. But looking at a map doesn't actually tell me the proportion north of a certain position.

Yeah, Auckland has spilled out into the area around it quite a bit, and the towns close by pick up quite a lot of people wanting to be near the city but not in it. Plus there's Whangarei and quite a few other towns in Northland.

Going off north of Melbourne, you can also throw in Tauranga as another 100k+ metro area. It's down to climate and fertility, we've been drifting northwards since the gold rushes dried out.