• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes. Whatever I actually use will be carefully written to be true, informative and useless.

That in itself will also tell them something about you :D

I'd say make banal. Everyone would assume that no one would say anything banal, so they'll think it's really cryptic and that they're just not getting it because it's too deep for them to derive its true essence. This will make them ill at ease and more like clay you can mold, being as they'd be psyched out and all. Mystify and obfuscate by means of simplicity and clarity.

Or something.

I will from now on take that to be Vainglory's real name.
Would that be pronounced like "Clive" or with the short i like in "Shiv"?

I say the theme should be Shakespeare. He wrote CLIV sonnets.
I was thinking Clive of India themed. Actually theme is challenging - my experience of themes is that usually they're either rich, but not enough people know them, for example I used Warhammer 40,000 and virtually no one knew what it was, and I've seen similarly failed themes, or else no one is interest in RPing it, like CLIII's "snowbound town", or Ciryandor's "videogame tournament". Your Alexander the Great one is probably a good theme, as probably was the Spanish Armada, because nearly everyone knows a least a little bit about it. Shakespeare might work, but then, I only really know Macbeth, The Tempest, and Romeo and Juliet...

Would that be pronounced like "Clive" or with the short i like in "Shiv"?

I was thinking Clive of India themed. Actually theme is challenging - my experience of themes is that usually they're either rich, but not enough people know them, for example I used Warhammer 40,000 and virtually no one knew what it was, and I've seen similarly failed themes, or else no one is interest in RPing it, like CLIII's "snowbound town", or Ciryandor's "videogame tournament". Your Alexander the Great one is probably a good theme, as probably was the Spanish Armada, because nearly everyone knows a least a little bit about it. Shakespeare might work, but then, I only really know Macbeth, The Tempest, and Romeo and Juliet...

I had to Google Clive of India, so I'd say Shakespeare would be a better theme.

Thanks :) That at least is in keeping with how I see myself. Or how I want to be seen.

For those interested, the bio I submitted:

I'm a methodical player who looks to create key moments where players must make meaningful decisions. I'm strongest in smaller games or known setups.

The intention is to tell them everything about my play style so they're not surprised into rash action by what manipulations I use; and to tell them nothing about my play style so they haven't got a leg to stand on.

Tip: read up on the previous two games. Ive read the second and most of the players went to the others forums to read up on the adverseries during the game. So once you know who is playing might be worth giving their home forums a visit to check up on their playstyle if you have the time.

Yeah, I've been looking through the one that turns up when you do the google search Cliges posted. I'm not sure they'll get much useful out of reading through my games here, when this forum runs things quite differently. I'm a vocal poster here, but in some of their games they might post in two days what we post in a whole game. I'll be playing very differently there than I would here.

So I take it you will GM next big game, then? Or did EUR007 volunteer here indirectly with this one instead of pressing Vainglory into service?

Do we have a GM for WW CLIV?
We do now.

edit: about the theme, how savvy and interested are ww-players in politics and current affairs these days? That direction could yield potentially interesting themes.

Some will know a lot, some newer players maybe less or nothing at all. (I'll be Putin)

To be honest, had Vainglory not promised to do the next game, I would have made one with Ukrainian situation as theme. Alas, it may be that the events and excitement in Ukraine will die down before next game is up. And besides, I would have needed a bit more time to prepare for it in any case, not to mention possible other GM wannabes way ahead of me.

edit: not reserving or promising anything here, just musing aloud.

Wouldn't current events as a theme have the potential to become somewhat heated?

I went with the French Revolution. It seemed to have enough room for intrigue and well known enough that anyone can follow it and enjoy. I seriously considered Cliges' suggestion of Shakespeare but I don't think I could do it justice.

Plus if we're doing iambic pentameter again, I want to be in on it. Despite my total inability to count feet :laugh:

I considered doing one about say, political primaries, or a parliament, since political parties can map nicely to wolf packs and the village... but I figured most people would shout "BORING!" so I let it slide. The Ukrainian situation would probably be interesting for similar reasons - don't know if it would get heated since AFAIK none of the WW players are particularly partisan about their country. I know in the OT forum here you'd be asking for a bloodbath.

Nautilu and glio might me the only active Russian/Russian-related players we have now. I don't foresee any issues.

@Skobie: I was pressing Cliv into service, but would enjoy playing in any game right about now.

@Cliv: Cliv like shiv.