• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Excellent performance by Maw, Culann, Caillean and Wombat after I got brutalised. Good you didn't just take my 'analysis' onwards as gospel as it was very rushed and only designed for trying to get something that lynch. And indeed you bettered it with some solid reads later on. And as point out I completely missed Grimlock was still in the game! - I had already thought he was dead and then I somehow deleted him when copy-pasting the player list, so I just assumed it had happened. Getting 2 reds in one lynch was a nice way to go out but a bit lucky - I did pin randy as a red, but marshall was purely guesswork, and it was fortunate we tied those two and missed E_L.

Things were very quiet outside the JL. Unfortunately this is what happens when all the active players are hunted, brutalised and scanned in the early game. I try to encourage a more random approach in the outset, but ultimately it seems hard for people to avoid. Maybe some new mechanics might need to be introduced to try and allay this.

Really good set-up overall and thanks for GM'ing @Jacksonian Missionary

Best as I can tell the wolves were mostly done in by being too quiet and ignoring claims to the JL with the sole exception of Grim whom we thought was a baddie anyways. E_L was tunneled on but he also didn't send a claim either, leaving him as an unknown.

Additionally, with Maw early in the JL we were able to coordinate his abilities.

My take from this mostly is that when the JL starts taking charge it's in the baddies best interest to talk to the JL and be active in the thread. Not saying anything more or less puts you on the suspect list.
Heck, I even told Marty I was a padre villager the day of my outing. I even warned them about it, too...

Although I do think the set-up favoured the village overall. I just realised that we wiped out the red pack in that tie. Imagine no cursed hits! With 2 packs the rule of thumb by Johho that is basic but largely infallible is 1/4 baddies if 1 pack, 1/3 if two packs. Personally I like to go a little bit less but I try to balance that by giving the village a bit less. For future reference for GMs I would say the presence of a seer priest GA padre and a few scanning traits necessitates about 9 baddies here. Or else/and load up more brutals.

A game of this size does not necessarily need both scanners and two protectors and if it has them, I think the wolves need a fair bit of ammo too. Of course the more central a role they have, the more RNG based the game is depending on if the Seer is killed early, and or hits an apprentice. Even if both sides play well, the difference between a Seer dead night 0 and one living for a week can decide a game almost single-handedly. This is a general point, not at all specific to this game, but I do think it is something we should try to keep in mind for future innovations.

*The other luck the wolves had was hitting the priest's apprentice immediately before a ring of cleared people could be confirmed, but then it was lucky the Priest scanned Aedan so soon to begin with.

*The other luck the wolves had was hitting the priest's apprentice immediately before a ring of cleared people could be confirmed, but then it was lucky the Priest scanned Aedan so soon to begin with.

I wouldn't say it was luck, reading Aedan is hard. Pretty much all of my early scans were on people I couldn't read very or at all, or people I haven't played with much like yourself. In the future I'll probably be a little bit more random about whom I scan, circumstances notwithstanding.

Good game and nick to play agan even though I was less active myself then I would like typ be. Thanks for hostning Jackson. Agree with Marty that a game this small probably shouldn’t have so many of the big goodie role present. Will check out the languster sedupplösnings suggestiv by man on WHO to get my posts more readable.

I blame myself, of course. The intrapack violence was only begun because I failed to hunt the startled seer who came to me at the right time. We had all the pieces for a villainous triumph, but I lacked the vision. My apologies to the team.

Yeah I figured that for you, if anything I was surprised you waited as long as you did to go for a switch to Panzer since you said you were also suspicious of him. It was everyone else who switched that was more striking.
the mob moves in mysterious ways, but one thing i have long known is you grant them even a whiff of permission, and they will seize upon it.
Well, it was fun playing WW again.
let’s just hope the next game doesn’t start as I have 6 busy workdays in a row.
Congrats to the JL for an excellent performance.
And to Euro, sorry about the hunt. I thought you were the seer/priest (whichever one aedan was the apprentice to)
I will never forgive, but I will forget.

see you space cowboy

poor @the_hdk

he reached out to me and said, hey i'm good, i scanned you

and i was like... okay... why did you wait so long to scan me

his response... i had one seer, one priestly, and so i double scanned you... now i'm reaching out...

and i was like... THAT'S A WOLF.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
also, and seriously... guys, we can't be lynching a new player on day 1.

poor form.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That was fun, although the lynch wasn't great for marketing.

2. Holy shit wolves please talk you guys just let the JL run everything with 0 fight and 0 plan

I mean, I tried to defend myself! I even tried to make people think that there weren't two cursed (also, that phrase wasn't a lie. You would have to be really unlucky to have two cursed, and you were).

Too little, too late.

I mean, I tried to defend myself! I even tried to make people think that there weren't two cursed (also, that phrase wasn't a lie. You would have to be really unlucky to have two cursed, and you were).

Too little, too late.
To be fair, the wolf inactivity started long before you were turned.

So disappointing that my pack could have had 3-4 wolves, 1 cultist, and the sorcerer after I was outed as a wolf, yet they didn't do anything with it...

Yeah, there was too much radio silence on our end (with me being part of the problem)

Thanks for hosting Jackson.

Okay, I guess, but why wait so long before outing it? Deadline is in a few hours, right?
Forgot to mention the following when I explained why outings shouldn't be early, and as I did that exact thing I didn't want to point it out later on, in case people started suspecting me for it:
An early outing allows the baddies to team up. Like, I immediately reached out to Deo upon his outing and we managed to establish contact. Had his mates not been AFK then I'd have been able to coordinate with them.
Due to that then it's also possible to do fake outings, but they're finicky and require at least some sort of JL to not horribly backfire.

Obviously once I knew I was apprentice, I thought cursed was unlikely as well, so figured I didn't have long to live.
You'd probably have died anyway, though not necessarily as Culann might have thoguht you were the seer's app and afaik alxeu never scanned you.
(I scanned you night 0 as well. Due to a mistake Jackson didn't notice it until you and Culann had been put in touch, so I only was told you were claimed. Whihc made me think the priest had started with an app. What happened was that I for some reason thoguht MC was in so put in an order to scan MC. Jackson asked about it after midnight, when I was asleep, so I didn't see until the following day. I then pointed out that I had a standing order, whihc he'd missed. I then got your scan, but by then the error had been made and it was too late to have you become sorc's app as you should have been by the rules as sorc scans before priest.)

Goodness gracious that's a lot of cursed. And how did yellow manage to get all of them?
Luck. And it wasn't that many cursed especially considering teh small amount of baddies.

This really highlights how fragile packs can be if they only have three starting members. An unlucky, early scan/lynch and they can be permanently sunk. 4 man packs are way more robust.
For teh amount of scanners then it was excessive, albeit more starting baddies and keep the amount of cursed and it coudl work.

wagon (distiller and vengeful sorcerer)
Giving a major scanner distiller honestly is pretty much a waste with the distiller rules you used, as you'd be giving up your scan then.

Also, personally then I think that the assassin rules where it's not revealed who shot is better than where it's revealed who shot, as the latter limits the use for baddies. Whereas if it's not revealed then assassin can be a powerful trait for baddies and can make up for e.g. giving the goodies extra protection.
And I think there were too few starting baddies compared to the amount of major goodies and scans.
Curses are far from certain to be hit. And this game had every single possible pickup hit (albeit aedan wasn't flipped due to the scan confusion) and yet it never got that close.

Also, the baddies shoudl have had more scans. Giving baddies scans can lead to interesting results, and also prevents the JL from just being able to trust somebody who had an cly scan.
I for instance remember being outed as a wolf by Lem at one point, Lem being a wolf from a rival pack.
So I don't think you necesssarily need to trim down on scanning powers. Just make sure baddies have some too, and more starting baddies.

Ark was reasoned to be a goodie due to plotter trait
And that really irked me a lot seeing the village argue that broken record again again. It's far from new, but it's never been true. Packs aren't meant to be symmetric and rarely are. And it should never be possible to argue that somebody is a baddie based on traits.
That's why villager SA exists. Also, plotter is almost worthless as a baddie. Alberman at least gives you straight up voting power, and more importantly, can't be turned off when activated. But plotter needs to be actively used, and hence if you use it for the advantage of the baddies you will get strung up for it. So you'll end up having to use it for teh good of the village if you reveal having it. So plotter is something you can give baddies almost willy nilly, as its use cases for a baddie are few and limited.

"So, my role PM says I'm a hunter, but I think that means a villager"

"What do you mean your role PM says? What are you now?"
That was somethign I worried about. Jackson had used RP names in my PM, so I worried he mgint have in the villager one too. And while you're not supposed to use role PMs as any kind of proof, then if you accidentalyl reveal yourself to not knowing the villager role PM...

Well, truth be told then he never shoudl ahve been the priest's apprentice as sorc scans before priest. So if anythign it was the priest being lucky to get aedan through mistake in the first place.

poor @the_hdk

he reached out to me and said, hey i'm good, i scanned you

and i was like... okay... why did you wait so long to scan me

his response... i had one seer, one priestly, and so i double scanned you... now i'm reaching out...

and i was like... THAT'S A WOLF.
yeah what was that all about....I just finished scanning you...so I literally reached out..AFTER I scanned you

yeah what was that all about....I just finished scanning you...so I literally reached out..AFTER I scanned you
i know... i didn't believe you, and lynched you.

i kinda feel bad about it, it sounded a bit too outlandish.

• 1Like
Reactions:

New WW game up!