• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sign on to the petition that Sprites be banned from all paradox games entirely with the next patches for said games.

No sprites now!

Well for one thing the boxes actually relay more information. Also removal of the sprites file entirely speeds up the game. As for sprites I was thinking of creating a bunch based on Warcraft III unit types. For example air could be Wyverns like this:

wyvern.jpg

Infantry could look like this:

orc3oe.png

That would be kind of fun, I think.

If it was multi-tiered you could have have different kinds of dragons for tactical bombers, green dragons for Doiners, Red ones for Hienkels and the black ones for Ju 88's... why not?

Last edited:
Lord Finnish said:
Game loading time would double for pre-2005 computers.

Thats why I only want the possibility of multi level sprites. So every HOI player can choose it for his own...

Cueball said:
Well for one thing the boxes actually relay more information.

Thats not right! With conters you get less informations, but conuter players does't know that...

He-Man said:
But we should hope and just ask
I support this,however,if someone is going to return the option,we will have to pay for it,as the HoI2 Patch Project is limited to only fixing the bugs,and Paradox probably wont make another patch for Armageddon as their attention has shifted completely to EU3 and Rome.
@Cueball:I am making a fantasy themed mod for DD,so could you make those sprites?

I dunno... the graphic capability of this game is rapidly falling behind the times. Even sprites, are basicly a thing of the past. Where it does excel is in quality of game play, and that is its main selling attribute that keeps it going. EU2 is similar, it is defintely a handsome game that does well with what it has, but for me, rather than have akward looking sprites cluttering up the map, much better just to go with the NATO standard counters that are simple, easy to read, and also traditional for a war game.

Cueball said:
I dunno... the graphic capability of this game is rapidly falling behind the times. Even sprites, are basicly a thing of the past. Where it does excel is in quality of game play, and that is its main selling attribute that keeps it going. EU2 is similar, it is defintely a handsome game that does well with what it has, but for me, rather than have akward looking sprites cluttering up the map, much better just to go with the NATO standard counters that are simple, easy to read, and also traditional for a war game.

You might be right, but this thread does not want to discuss the sense of sprite or its using. And this thread does not want to discuss what is better, the using of counters or sprites.
An half year ago I have startet several poll about this question in several international forums and the result was that the most (59%) of the hoi players use sprites.
And this thread is instad of these 59 percent...

He-Man said:
To all these HOI sprite players:

All the hoi players who do also have played with hoi 1 know that we lost the sprite diversity since the update to HOI II.

In HOi II we do not have multiple leveling sprites (tank level 1, tank level 2, etc.).
And since the update to Doomsday we also lost plane sprites. (strategic and marine bomer and the air transporter)

So we do not want paradox to build all theses sprite. But we want the possibility, to do that for our own. There are a lot of sprites modders in several hoi communities, who are still waiting to produce some llevels for ech sprites and since we do have the civ converted sprites it is no prlblem any more...

But what do I want from this community? What is the sense of this thread?

I want and I need your support to make our wish come true!
We want backe all sprites form HOI 1. The hole multiple level possibilitiy!

- each unit should have a sprite of his own!
- each unit level should have a sprite of his own!

Yours He-Man

He-Man, you should check this out. Doesn't address your concerns on different sprites for leveling up, but I pick and choose the GFX and Sprites I want from the different GFX Mods...and now I have an entirely new game that barely resembles DD. Of course you can always install one of the various Game Mods too.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307710

That link is very interesting. Thx a lot.

But if we might have multi level sprite we may have different tanks on the map at the same time. Isn't that a fantastic idea?

He-Man said:
That link is very interesting. Thx a lot.

But if we might have multi level sprite we may have different tanks on the map at the same time. Isn't that a fantastic idea?

I must agree....would look great to have different sprites for 1936/39/41 infantry. But all the same, take a look at bebro's sprites within the link I gave you..they're nation-specific. The armor looks awesome. I personally use his armour and aircraft sprites, but use DMP ships only from their sprite packs (I hate DMP infantry though, looks too cartoonish, so I've kept the vanilla infantry.)

I've also changed the interface using DMP. Shoot, I've made so many GFX changes I'm surprised the game still works. Anyway, I spent about a week just experimenting with the GFX until I found a combination I like. Have, it's just like playing in a sandbox :rofl:

The Great Duck said:
I support this,however,if someone is going to return the option,we will have to pay for it,as the HoI2 Patch Project is limited to only fixing the bugs,and Paradox probably wont make another patch for Armageddon as their attention has shifted completely to EU3 and Rome.
@Cueball:I am making a fantasy themed mod for DD,so could you make those sprites?

So far the simple rule of the HOI2 Patch Project has been.....

If you use the word Add.... then it probably will not be included.

a few months ago i've written a small modification wich allows you to give every planelevel an unique sprite.
looks like this:

106_dmpragnarkbild1wi5_1.jpg

I HOPE that this will possible on all the other units soon, because by making that possible and fixing just one other bug ( level 10 model icon bug ) will give us the possibillity for endless new units - Helicopters, strategic Submarines, Camel Cavallry or all the other things we can imagine.

In my newest modproject i've added torpedoboats and EBoats. All i need now are multilevelsprites.

So many things could be done with only thhe possibility for multilevelsprites.

I am afraid that if the code isnt there.... you are going to have to look to an expansion pack for multi level sprites....