• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have a quick feature request I wasn't sure where to post, so I guess I'll do it here and hope it gets seen?

Not exactly knowing how POPs will work, I'm running under the assumption that they'll be a little bit similar to Vicky. I'd like to see a POP mapmode that shows all the types of POPs in a province on the map, like a small icon for each type, and something to indicate their number. I know something like that would have been immensely helpful in managing POPs in Vicky, but again no idea if it would be useful here.

Please do not make a map the scale of HOI3 map. It will predetermine the game to failure as modern computers and human programming skills will not be able to handle it. No need for more hard evidence than HOI3.

The game really does not need more than 1000 land provinces, and for everyone to be happy... make it 2000 land provinces and a 500-1000 sea zones.

I'd rather have a game I can play and enjoy than countless land hexes that look the same as the next one, break down basic game concepts and in the end turn into nothing more than micro-clicky annoyance.

Bottom line. Don't ruin it before even starting development.

Please do not make a map the scale of HOI3 map. It will predetermine the game to failure as modern computers and human programming skills will not be able to handle it. No need for more hard evidence than HOI3.

The game really does not need more than 1000 land provinces, and for everyone to be happy... make it 2000 land provinces and a 500-1000 sea zones.

I'd rather have a game I can play and enjoy than countless land hexes that look the same as the next one, break down basic game concepts and in the end turn into nothing more than micro-clicky annoyance.

Bravo!

Paradox it will be nice if you could create the 7 not 5 Canary Islands in the Victoria 2 map. The capital will be in Las Palmas, they were very important to the sea trade of the British Empire in that time, and specially the city of Las Palmas due to the portuary infraestructure the Puerto de la Luz had for the trasportation of coal and other materials from the british colonies to Great Britain.

Here a pic of how it should be done in the map ;)

map_of_canary-islands.jpg

Last edited:

i like the scale of the HOI3 map

if Vi2 was like HOI3 but accurate, that would be best. a HOI3 scale map would allow for pretty cool 19thC campaigns.

other stuff like POPs and factories could stay at province level for easier management

Paradox it will be nice if you could create the 7 not 5 Canary Islands in the Victoria 2 map. The capital will be in Las Palmas, they were very important to the sea trade of the British Empire in that time, and specially the city of Las Palmas due to the portuary infraestructure the Puerto de la Luz had for the trasportation of coal and other materials from the british colonies to Great Britain.

Here a pic of how it should be done in the map ;)

map_of_canary-islands.jpg

excelente! ;-)

I endorse this post. I think Victoria could use a few more province, but anything approaching the map of HOI3 is ludicrous.

I was always deeply concerned for the mental health of those who saw the 10,000 provinces "feature" of HoI3 as something to look forward to
In fairness, it does make sense in a wargame in that it presents the player with more room to manoeuvre. But I agree that such a number of provinces would be completely unnecessary for V2

I think alot of people will be very happy with the map we'll do for Victoria2.

I'll even promise that it is likely to be the most accurate map we've ever made for a game.

And i bet the more accurate it is the more people will complain about "their" province. :rofl:

why not this for HoI 3? :(
The preference to accuracy is probably due to the consumer. The HoI series is far more mainstream than Vicky. But on the flip side of that Vicky's consumers tend to be much, much more picky about accuracy. Compare HoI II to Vicky, even though Vicky is two years older its map is far more accurate that HoI II. But many of the consumers of HoI II will hardly notice.

One annoying thing regarding the number of provinces in old Vicky, especially in the US, was the high amount of BB you received by taking many, yet almost completely POP-empty, provinces.

One annoying thing regarding the number of provinces in old Vicky, especially in the US, was the high amount of BB you received by taking many, yet almost completely POP-empty, provinces.

I think that you shouldn't get as much BB penalty for taking colonial provinces from other civs (although you should certainly get more than the zero you get from taking them from uncivs). That would go a long way toward solving the problem. Right now it is kind of crazy how pissed off Europe gets at you over just taking some random African provinces from another civ...

Or heck, is the BB system even going to be in Vicky 2?

Please Paradox, do not make the same mistake as in HoI 3 with South Africa on the map, like totally misplacing towns, forgetting them (where is Pretoria) or using names who only exist with the government (you called Pietersburg 'Polokwane', but it is still Pietersburg). I really like ot play with the Transvaal and OFS in Vic 1 so I hope the map is atleast what it was in Vic 1.

Thank you :).

good point.

I think that the problem of Hoi2 is graphics rather than the number of provinces.

And he's talking about HoI3, which has a huge number of provinces!

...and blaring mistakes.

I liked the Victoria map a lot. More than HoI2's map to be honest. I'd like to see the new map have more provinces than Victoria, but not half as many as Hearts of Iron III.

It is true that in a strategy game where precise military moves are important, as in HoI3, a more detailed map is maybe more important than in case of Victoria 2.

But also here a map with more provinces would have one decisive advantage:

In early 19th century there were a lot more smaller states (look at Germany, Italy, and especially the British satellite states in India!). A rather fine-grained map would allow for including many of those into the game.

Look for example at this quite accurate map of British India before 1947: http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/9730/193447indiabs1.gif

The non-blue areas actually were semi-independent states, which could be represented as satellites in Vic2. At least I can tell from me that I would really LOVE to have this represented more or less accurately!

Of course, it may be fun to have those small states in game, but it may not be fun to include them. But I am not saying that the developers necessarily should do this. Just I would appreciate it very, very much if you would look at historical maps of Germany, Italy, Nigeria, India, etc. and orient the distribution of provinces and the borders on the historical ones.

Then the crazy modders that WOULD like to have the Indian princely states would get a chance to mod it at least. That would be great!

PS: A very nice map of Germany is found on Wikipedia: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Deutscher_Bund.png