• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Late reply, but I would agree with Charlemagne as a carrier name. Suitably pan-European.

Not sure about Titan though. Wasn't there a big ship with a similar name that was famous for sinking? Not a good omen.

Charlemagne is a nice one. Not sure on which ones I'm going to go with though.

I'd say famous battles for Carriers, cities for Cruisers and distinguished persons for Destroyers and Frigates.

mmm. I might go with something along those lines - mostly for new ships though as I don't think I can come up with 90 odd names for surface ships ...

Obviously this has been modded, but how extensively have you modded this? Have you already got events for this in mind, or are you just going to do this as you go along?

I have modded as little of the game files as I can, so instead almost all of my mods have been done through events so that I can go back and play the regular MDS if I want. That boils down to about 120 events written so far to produce what is currently happening, and some parts of early 2004. Most of these events are simply set up for the game though - as I wound up adding different aspects to the countries over time.

As for events I have in mind, I have quite a few more event strings I'm working on, but most of those set off story events and don't influence the set up of a country any more. I will also be adding more as I go along probably.

I also wound up modding some original events to include the EU in the response, such as the Bam Earthquake.

Nouvelles d'Union Fédérales
Broadcasting from Paris, District of France, European Union

fb95c00870139bb4_Picture_3.png

"Bonjour et - welcome to Federal Union News. It is 9:01 on September 11, 2003. We greet you this morning with breaking news. Earlier today, at 1:07 our time, a massive explosion tore through a Russian oil rig within the Arctic Circle. Reports indicate a near total loss of life on the rig, though some unconfirmed reports state that fire fights had broken out on board several minutes before the explosions, which sent the rig plummeting into the frigid waters below. Federal Union News has been unable to confirm these reports, and no footage or images of the events or its aftermath have been released as of yet by the Russian government."

"The President has already extended his condolences to the families of those lost, even as rumours circulate that this was not an accident, but instead a deliberate attack. If so, this could signal the rise of a new terrorist organization targeting rigging platforms. Meanwhile, other rumours speculate that the oil rig was being used for weapons testing by the Russian government that malfunctioned, or that a foreign power was involved in the attack. Again, none of this is confirmed and is merely speculation."

"We will continue to update you as this story develops. Moving on, a frightening report released by the Armed Services Bureau indicates that the European Union is falling behind in a major international arms race between China, Russia and the United States. Other heavily armed nations mentioned in the report include India and the United Kingdom, with a smaller section focusing on the extremely heated arms race of the Republic of the Crescent and the Islamic Republic of Iran."

U102P28T3D918911F326DT20051206113511.jpg

"The report indicated that currently, China is home to the largest Land Force in the world, with approximately 134 Brigades and Divisions under the command of the People's Liberation Army. These immense armed forces are supposedly augmented by numerous reserve forces and a massive population capable of fielding, what some speculate, could be the largest land force in the history of the world. The report also indicated, that India is competing for prominence in Asia with China with around 90 Brigades and Divisions at the ready. These forces also supposedly augmented by the forces of Russia which fields 89 Brigades and Divisions, according to the Russian Ministry of Defence in a report earlier this year."

Bundeswehr_580_430_80.jpg

"The European Union was ranked at fourth place, with a total of 79 Brigades and Divisions under LANCOM, however it was stressed that the majority of these units were needed to protect coastal areas from foreign powers. Trailing behind us, is the United States with 59 units under its Army Command. The United Kingdom, highlighted for its numerous carriers and moderate navy and air force, was ranked far lower in the report, with only 15 units under the command of Prime Minister Blair."

navy_RLqUN_24429.jpg

"The report also ranked the naval forces of numerous nations. The report ranked the United States as the Premier Naval Power in the world with 255 warships under it's command. It also made note of the 12 Super Aircraft carriers within the United States Navy, pointing them out as specific threats to European Naval and Air Power and Power Projection. Close behind the United States, the Russian Federation was suspected of having as many as 209 warships in its arsenal, with only a single standard Aircraft Carrier. Much more startling however, was the supposed 94 Submarines under the command of the Russian navy. These were marked as a severe threat to European shipping and naval power in the event of war between the powers."

USS-John-C-Stennis-CVN-74-0059.jpg

The EUS Europa.

"The report ranked the European Union in third for naval power, with 160 warships in service. This includes a single Super Aircraft Carrier and four standard Aircraft Carriers. Closely following us however, is China with 156 warships in the People's Liberation Navy. This includes one Super Aircraft Carrier and three standard Aircraft Carriers."

"The report makes special note of the British Royal Navy, ranked fifth in terms of manpower, it is designed for a limited but incredibly powerful deployment, with 8 standard Aircraft Carriers at its disposal. India, lags behind in this area however as she is augmented by only 78 warships, though these include a single Super Aircraft Carrier and four standard Aircraft Carriers."

airforce.jpg

"The United States, is again given prominence in terms of Air Superiority, with a total of 135 Air Wings under its command. This force, almost double that of the European Union, includes 12 strategic bombers which far exceeds the current capabilities of our own Air Force. Close behind, once again, is Russia with an air force of 130 Air Wings, augmented by 11 strategic bombers, again exceeding European capabilities."

b2_6.jpg

"In third place, the report ranks China with 112 Air Wings at it's disposal and 7 strategic bombers. Coming fourth, is the Air Force of the European Union with 78 Air Wings serviceable. Finally, in fifth, is the Republic of the Crescent, with 52 Air Wings under its command."

"Specific notes were made of the trailing Air Forces of the United Kingdom, and of India, who posses 42 and 49 Air Wings, respectively, under their command."

IDF_DRIILS_2007JULY_SHIZAFON.jpg

Specific Attention was given to the Arms Race between the Republic of the Crescent, and Iran.

"Of specific concern to the Report, was the incredibly heated Arms Race in the Middle East. Even as Iran and the Crescent produce weaponry against each other, they are also increasingly producing weaponry for various terrorist groups around the world, and within one another."

"As of 2003, it is noted that the Crescent is far outnumbered in terms of Land Forces, with only 37 unites capable of combat against the 52 units of the Iranian Armed Forces and Revolutionary Guard. At the same time however, Iran is increasingly outdone in the air, with the Republican Air Force of the Crescent, commanding 52 Air Wings, while the Revolutionary Air Force of Iran is in command of 33 Air Wings. In terms of naval power as well, Iran is outnumbered, with 42 warships capable of fighting the Republican Navy of 51 warships."

"To further add to tensions, both navies include Super Aircraft Carriers and receive immense international backing. The Republican Navy however, is also in possession of two standard aircraft carriers which the Revolutionary Navy is lacking."

"The final section of the report included a list of all nations in possession of Aircraft Carriers."

aircraft_carrier_USS_John_C_Stennis_HMS_Illustrious.jpg

A specific notice listed all nations in possession of Aircraft Carriers.
Super Aircraft Carriers:
- United States : 12
- European Union : 1
- China : 1
- Iran : 1
- India : 1
- Republic of the Crescent : 1

Standard Aircraft Carriers
- United Kingdom : 8
- European Union : 4
- India : 4
- China : 3
- Republic of the Crescent : 2
- Russia : 1
- Brazil : 1
- Italy : 1
- Thailand : 1

"The report ended by calling for increased ties and co-operation between the European and Chinese forces, and a revival of the alliance between China and Europe, in the face of international tension and the growing strength of Russia, the United States, and India."

autobahn.4oxitayxlvcwgcsogcoo8w4gg.6uwurhykn3gokwo0808sc4k88.th.png

"A separate report issued by the Minister of the Economy and Production, Peter Struck, commended all the workers and members on the Iberian Transportation Project for proceeding ahead of schedule on the project and for superb work quality. He also confirmed the government's stance to extend the Euro-Star into Iberia, making stops at Barcelona, Madrid, and Lisbon. The idea of extending the train to Gibraltar is, according to reports, being negotiated with the British government."

french_navy8.jpg

"The Armed Services Bureau also announced the names of the ships that had been open to public suggestion. The Super Aircraft Carrier will keep the name EUS Europa, while the two new standard Aircraft Carriers will be designated EUS Tannenberg, and EUS Austerlitz. Both named for famous European battles. The Guided Missile Cruiser has also received a new name, and is designated as the EUS Berlin. In tandem, they also announced that future Aircraft Carriers will be named for Famous Battles, future Cruisers shall be named for cities, and that future Super Aircraft Carriers will follow the naming system set by Europa, in taking the names of districts."

"My name is Reynold de Burgundy, and that's the state of the world. Weather and Sports, after the break."

Why would Iranians and Cresent need carriers let alone Super Cariers? All waters they would need to defend are within reach of land based airforce (ESPECIALLY Persian Gulf). Also Persian GUlf is way too small for carrier action. Missile crusers would have been MUCH better investment.

Why would Iranians and Cresent need carriers let alone Super Cariers? All waters they would need to defend are within reach of land based airforce (ESPECIALLY Persian Gulf). Also Persian GUlf is way too small for carrier action. Missile crusers would have been MUCH better investment.

Both have dreams of becoming super powers and are in arms race with the other. The carriers may not necessarily be practical, but it is a matter of national pride to join the carrier club. Besides, any war that comes along is very unlikely to be limited to the Persian Gulf and the parties in the Arms Race.

A similar question could be asked of the pursuit of nuclear weapons by third world states, they will have a limited capability to use them and would suffer total annihilation if they ever did, but it is a matter of pride to join the nuclear club. Here, it is much more about the carrier club. As for how Thailand wound up with a carrier, I have no idea.

Oh dear, no good will come out of that oil rig explosion; the Russian response won't be pretty, I tell you

No, no it won't. If you check the first recurring character on the first post I made, you'll see who had a hand in the explosion and relatively how it came about.

Why are parts of European Union called districts (like District of France) ? Isn't system like this a bit too centralized?

Both have dreams of becoming super powers and are in arms race with the other. The carriers may not necessarily be practical, but it is a matter of national pride to join the carrier club. Besides, any war that comes along is very unlikely to be limited to the Persian Gulf and the parties in the Arms Race.

A similar question could be asked of the pursuit of nuclear weapons by third world states, they will have a limited capability to use them and would suffer total annihilation if they ever did, but it is a matter of pride to join the nuclear club. Here, it is much more about the carrier club. As for how Thailand wound up with a carrier, I have no idea.

Yeah, but they wouldn't need Supercarriers (neither should they be able to build them without first experimenting with normal carriers.), normal cariers would be fine. The nuke paralel doesn't excatly hold. Nukes are used as deterant. No two countries that have both in range of nukes, want to start a war, because they know tens of thousands will die.
On the other hand, carriers aren't a deterent, AND taking into acount the possible seas of deployment, aren't really usefull (I full expect both to sink during any kind of hostilities in Persian Gulf).

I guess the EU navy has to specialize in two things: anti-sub warfare, and a way to take out the Supercarriers.

The Thailand thing is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTMS_Chakri_Naruebet -> some say it is an oversized royal yacht :D

Furthermore I would also stress indeed that the EU would be quite decentralized in some stuff so no districts but really countries, but that is up to you of course :) I can imagine that the EU took the highly centralized route.

I guess you slowly have to take sides, against Iran and other warmongering nations. A three / four way war could easily occur I believe, China vs Russia vs EU vs USA :D

Tim

Why are parts of European Union called districts (like District of France) ? Isn't system like this a bit too centralized?

Originally, I had intended for the district to have overtaken the term state and have the EU organized like the United States of America in terms of the division of powers because it is so widespread and diverse in terms of language, customs, heritage, etc.

Whether I should reform this into a more centralized federation is something I am considering.

Yeah, but they wouldn't need Supercarriers (neither should they be able to build them without first experimenting with normal carriers.), normal cariers would be fine. The nuke paralel doesn't excatly hold. Nukes are used as deterant. No two countries that have both in range of nukes, want to start a war, because they know tens of thousands will die.

On the other hand, carriers aren't a deterent, AND taking into acount the possible seas of deployment, aren't really usefull (I fully expect both to sink during any kind of hostilities in Persian Gulf).

They may not necessarily be useful, but, again, it was mostly a drive of national pride and maintaining the illusion that they can compete with nations like America, Russia, China, India and the EU in terms of influence and military power. They aren't very practical but useful for propaganda, and should one side gain advantage over the other, useful for operations against the other.

As to how they built one, both sides have massive support from their patrons and could have called up some favours in return for cheaper oil or something similar.

I guess the EU navy has to specialize in two things: anti-sub warfare, and a way to take out the Supercarriers.

The Thailand thing is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTMS_Chakri_Naruebet -> some say it is an oversized royal yacht :D

Furthermore I would also stress indeed that the EU would be quite decentralized in some stuff so no districts but really countries, but that is up to you of course :) I can imagine that the EU took the highly centralized route.

I guess you slowly have to take sides, against Iran and other warmongering nations. A three / four way war could easily occur I believe, China vs Russia vs EU vs USA :D

Tim

Interesting about Thailand's carrier. Also with the EU naval priorities, carriers and subs are the main threats - that is definitive.

Again with the centralization issue, I had intended for the district to have overtaken the term state and have the EU organized like the United States of America in terms of the division of powers, if not be a bit more decentralized, because it is so widespread and diverse in terms of language, customs, heritage, etc.

Whether I should reform this into a more centralized federation is something I am considering.

This guy knows where the goods are :D.

:p

Damn. I looked only at one end of the arrow. :rofl:

I had the same problem when I first looked at it. :p

I just finished reading the recurring character post and I commend Mr Liberius' abbility for destruction & scape. The thing here is who gets the blame for this; an European agent doesn't waltz into an oil rig and blows it without leaving some sort of evidence pointing towards someone else. In Vicky terms, EU gave Russia a huge causus belli if they find out the truth about this...

It feels like aircraft carriers are the MDS equivilent of sports cars. Not always very useful, but highly desired by those who need to show off.

Looks interesting Templar. Can't wait to see how it turns out :D

subscribed!

As for ship names (if it isn't too late)

For the carriers:

EUS Praetor ( ;) )

EUS Barbarossa

EUS Conquistador

EUS In Varietate Concordia (United in Diversity, the official motto of the European Union)

For the cruiser:

EUS Velox (Latin word for Swift, quick, fast)

EUS Validus (Latin word for "the strong", "the powerful")

EUS Andcus ( :cool: )

... ignore... just saw the ship names :(

Last edited:
I just finished reading the recurring character post and I commend Mr Liberius' abbility for destruction & scape. The thing here is who gets the blame for this; an European agent doesn't waltz into an oil rig and blows it without leaving some sort of evidence pointing towards someone else. In Vicky terms, EU gave Russia a huge causus belli if they find out the truth about this...

Indeed. I it will certainly come up again, no worries. I may also wind up editing and revising that post from the other story to fit in the timeline of this story. Brings back good memories to see it though.

Ah, the good old days.

It feels like aircraft carriers are the MDS equivilent of sports cars. Not always very useful, but highly desired by those who need to show off.

Exactly. Unlike sports cars however, they aren't highly sought after by men/nations with an inferiority complex ... oh wait :p

Looks interesting Templar. Can't wait to see how it turns out :D

subscribed!

As for ship names (if it isn't too late)

For the carriers:

EUS Praetor ( ;) )

EUS Barbarossa

EUS Conquistador

EUS In Varietate Concordia (United in Diversity, the official motto of the European Union)

For the cruiser:

EUS Velox (Latin word for Swift, quick, fast)

EUS Validus (Latin word for "the strong", "the powerful")

EUS Andcus ( :cool: )

... ignore... just saw the ship names :(

Andcus! It's been too long old friend. You will certainly recognize some of the coming recurring characters. Think back to Pretorian's Division goodness and some stuff of Knights Europa ... oh my ... it takes me back.

Only fitting that we should both be here for this AAR, hmmm? ;)

PM me some time!

European Intelligence Bureau
Operation Myotis - Christopher Liberius (Recurring Character)
00:56 - Paris Time

A gentle wind blew around him, sending shivers down his spine as he hung beneath the rig, dangling precariously on his makeshift suspension system. Far below him, the waves of the Arctic Sea smashed precariously into the support pillars of one of the Russian's supposedly newest oil extractors, and weapons testing and observation platform. For the last several months, the EIB had been watching this station as it was finished, celebrated, and then vanished from the public view as military personnel and researchers flocked to the rig to study new weapons systems that were undergoing their final stages of tests.

draupner-oil-rig.jpg

The oil rig designated as 'Station Khrushchev' by the EIB.

Truth was, nobody was sure if it really was an oil rig, or just an elaborate cover. Theories ranged from a cover, to a purely new oil rig - to a mix of being an oil rig with sparse interruptions of weapons testing. Chris didn't really care what it was, just as long as it was gone. After all, that was the mission. The mission always came first.

He drew the final pack of C-4 from his ruck sack and slapped it onto the final pillar. His fingers barely felt the explosive, numb as they were from a night on the underside of the rig. At least no one had noticed. Even the workers directly above him had carried on their conversation throughout the night.

He pulled himself along the ropes until he reached the meshed covering of one of the various maintenance holes on the lower walkway. A cacophony of machinery and noise on the upper levels of the rig muffled the scratch of the mesh as he pushed it up, and off of the hole. Poking his head up briefly, he scanned the platform. The two workers who had been above him before, were still standing off to his left.

He pulled himself up from his position, and drew the KM2000 combat knife from its sheathe, angled across his chest. The blade glimmered in the dim light from above as he crept towards the men. In a single motion, he wrapped his arm around one of their necks in mid-sentence, as he sliced the jugular of the second man. His blade, sharp as a scalpel, cut through his neck like a hot knife through butter.

A few mumbled gurgles were the only resistance he had to offer as he dropped to the floor, while the man held in Chris' grip grasped at his arm briefly, kicking his legs out as Chris pulled him backwards and drew his blade across the mans neck. Blood flowed down the man's work outfit, and a few sputters dripped onto the Russian uniform Chris was wearing.

"Two down." he whispered.

As if nothing was the matter, he wiped his blade on the trousers of the second man as his life spilled from his throat, before returning the knife to its sheathe on his chest. Without so much as a glance at the man who was gazing up at him, Christopher turned and followed the walkway to the stairs, calmly moving up and looking around the large room.

As he had hoped it was empty, and he followed the signs, fluent as he was in Russian, to a hallway. Following the hallway, he climbed another flight of stairs, passed a Russian who was oblivious to what was happening, and continued out into another room and along an outer walkway. From there, he followed another stairwell before coming out on the main level of the rig.

"Going somewhere?" asked a thick Russian voice from behind him.

"My shift is over, I'm turning in for the night." He said, turning to face the man. From the shadows beside the stairwell exit, a man of about 6 foot lumbered into the light. His uniform was not that of the normal guards on board. He was clad in a brown, orange and black camouflage and on in the center of his helmet, a glossy red star demanded reverence. His face was harder to make out, partially hidden by his helmet, with only a small area around his graying beard visible in the orange light peering around the corner.

"Right, Mr.?"

"Vladistok, Mikhail Vladistok. Yourself?"

"I am Captain Dmitri Taylor. Head of Security, on this rig."

"Taylor? An odd name for a serviceman of the Motherland." Chris said, trying to keep his cool in front of a man who most certainly knew he was lying.

"The Motherland doesn't care what my name is. Only that I do my job." He said, taking a step closer.

"Now, Mikhail. I would suggest, you surrender your weapons before things get ugly." He said, raising his AK-47 squarely at Chris chest.

"Of course, Sir." The agent responded, taking his sheathe from his chest with slight difficulty. He was needed a distraction. Hell, he needed saving. As he handed over his prized dagger, a couple of guards rounded the corner, deep in conversation. Without having noticed him, they bumped into him and fell, dragging Chris with them.

He seized his chance, knocking the AK to the side as he drew his USP, switching off the safety in a single quick motion. Instinctively, he fired a round into the leg of the Captain who buckled on impacted, and fell down the stairs. Rolling onto one of the Russians, he shot the one to his left, the bullet passing through his throat as the man underneath him broke into a frenzy and wrestled for the pistol.

As the wounded man writhed around the walkway in pain, and cries broke out over the rig, no doubt wondering what was happening, Chris was rolled off the man beneath him, smacking his head hard into the rail. Dazed, he struggled to make sense of the situation as the second Russian got to his feet and ran, ignoring the yelling of the Captain.

Unfortunately for the man, he was not fast enough, and with a quick raise of his pistol and the pull of a trigger, the Russian fell to the floor, a bang and a spray of blood bursting from his right shoulder marking his end. Chris turned back to the top of the stairwell, and grabbed his knife, still resting where the Dmitri had dropped it. Chris set the knife and its sheathe back across his chest, and slowly pulled the detonator from his inside pocket, just above his heart.

A simple click would start the timer for the explosives, each one delayed from the previous. A countdown to his escape. He didn't have long until the first one went off. Chris sprang down the walkway, barreling over the Russian laying flat at the turn of the corner. Shouts echoed ahead of him as he ran towards his only exit. He was getting closer. Just a bit farther. One-hundred and fifty meters up stairs, through hallways and the barracks to reach the landing pad.

oil-rig-explosion.jpg

On the far platform, where many of the workers and the mining took place, one of the charges he had set yesterday went off, engulfing the near pillar of the platform in flames. The scream of metal in agony stretched out over the rig and the ocean as in the distance, the gentle beats of a helicopter's rotors could be heard.

For a moment the shouting ceased as the metal of the far rig screamed in its death throes. It was soon joined by the orchestra of creaks and snaps, tears and groans of the bridge. Ten seconds. He barreled round a corner and a group of Russians watching the explosion caught sight of him. He didn't have time to stop. He didn't have time to fire back as automatic rounds riddled the space he had filled moments ago, striking and bouncing off machinery.

The shouting was following him now, the odd burst of gunfire tore up the hallways as he raced through them. The dull gray carpet, and the cheap sheet metal walls were torn apart as the AK rounds made impact. Pictures of Russian cities and leaders of men were blown apart in the chaos. Five seconds.

As he rounded another corner, Chris ducked inside one of the dark office rooms that had it's door open. He heard the shouting draw closer as he readied his USP and his blade. Another burst of gunfire rattled through the hallway, though he was safe in the room.

"Keep going!" one of them yelled as they sprinted past the door. In an instant, Chris was in the hallway with his dagger plunged deep in the chest of the guard in the center of the group. The man screamed in pain as Chris spun, dropped to one knee and fired a pair of rounds into each of the two guardsmen behind him. They both fell to the floor, dead before they could react. The man in front was spinning round now, even as Chris was gliding around the center guard for cover.

A hail of bullets dug deep into the man Chris had stabbed. One of them, he swore left an exit wound and crashed into the rear of the hallway. Unfazed, Chris fired a round into the skull of this final guard as he came round to the other side of the guardsman.

The man who had lead his comrades, dropped like a stone, and Chris snatched up his dagger from the central guard, rushing onwards to the final stairwell and his rescue. Turning another corner in the labyrinth of the rigs innards, he felt the rumbling of another explosion. This one, would have gone off on the bridge, cutting one platform off from the other.

He was running out of time now. Five Seconds.

Finally, he came upon the end of the hallway, and kicked open the door before him. Up above, he could hear the beating of the helicopter rotors coming in to pick him up. It was going to be close. Without hesitation, he ran out into the open space before the stairwell to the helipad.

Fewer shouts were ringing out across the rig now. Most were dead or contending with the fire. Still, a single voice came from across the helipad. A sole Russian yelled down at his comrades and turned to face Chris.

Chris stopped in his tracks, his breathing heavy as the two men looked at each other, recognizing the same intent in the other. The man raised his rifle in a flash of gunfire, just as Chris fired off a shot towards him. Despite a quick roll behind an electrical box, the Russian kept firing. Chris brought his pistol up and squeezed the trigger again, barely hearing the click of an empty magazine.

As the realization of his predicament dawned on him, the final set of charges erupted on the other platform in unison with a pair of charges on the main platform. The platform upon which he was currently standing.

With a tremendous roar, the other platform burst into flames as the ground beneath Chris feet rumbled and shook with terrible force. As the ground shook and the metal beneath him groaned its final lamentations, Chris managed to break from cover, and dove towards the Russian who was struggling to keep his balance as the rig tilted to the right at 30 degrees.

A quick strike from an open palm knocked the AK from the hands of the Russian as Chris rolled and brought round his leg for a roundhouse kick, connecting squarely with the head of the bent over man. He was knocked from his feet as Chris tried to regain his footing. Drawing his dagger, Chris was prepared to go for the kill.

The man before him, however, was spared as the rig dropped another 15 degrees to the right, leaving them both struggling to find their balance on the shaky platform, and Chris defenceless as his knife skidded across the rig deck. The Russian was the first to his feet, much to Chris' surprise as he felt a vice grip come round his throat, and then several blows connect with his face.

Instinctively, Chris brought his feet up to his chest and then kicked out, into the chest of the Russian, knocking him back on his ass. Scrambling to reach his knife before the Russian could get to his feet, Chris sprang across the platform as it fell to a 60 degree angle, the metal roaring at the unrelenting pressure.

He reached his blade just in time, as the Russian was drawing his pistol. A quick roll back, and a slice to the jugular finally put an end to his opponent as he drew the signal flare for the helicopter. Blue smoke rose from his hand, even as the secondary platform collapsed into the sea, its farewell tune the searing cry of dying steel.

The Helicopter came in low now, the rig rumbling ever more as it drew closer.

"Come on!" Chris yelled to his compatriots as the helicopter came down for a pick up.

The prototype Eurocopter Super Cougar drifted cautiously closer to Chris as the rig yelled at him to get off. Frankly, he couldn't have asked for more himself.

With a quick grasp of the arm of one of the flight crew, Chris was pulled aboard the helicopter as the men onboard shouted at each other over the noise of the dying Station Khrushchev.

"Is it done?" asked the flight lieutenant. Chris responded with a turn of his head, looking out at the oil rig as a final explosion marked the collapse of the main platform. A brilliant fireball sprung out from the sea, captivating the air crew as it leaped high into the sky, and danced across the waters.

"Il est fini."

rigx-wide-community.jpg

OOC : I apologize for putting you through all that reading. That is however, a reduxed and updated version of the events at the oil rig, originally written in an End War fan fic in 2008.

This marks the return of Christopher Liberius to my writing, one of my favourite characters, and also the return of the first of many characters that I have done before but hope to bring up for one final send off before I settle on writing my book.

Hope you enjoyed the read.​