• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(157789)

Major
1 Badges
Aug 23, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron III
Title.gif

"No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -- John Donne

What is Land of the Samurai ?
An Alternate History AAR where the Samurai not only survived, but won the Bushido Wars, an actual period of riots and rebellions by Samurai during the Meiji period of Japan.

What's up with the image ? Will Germany, Britain and Japan work together !?!?

That is correct. Keep in mind though, this is a different history with a different Japan and a very different Germany.

How Often Will You Update ?
The Depends. Possibly once every three days. I don't want to get to a point where I am rushing my writing and dragging down the level of the AAR.

Will we see Historical Characters ?
Although this is an alternate history AAR, you will see Historical figures. However, circumstances will have changed some of their personalities.

The Samurai couldn't have won the Bushido Wars ! Right ?
In this timeline, America and Britain were in a cold war-esque phase in the late 1800's. When America took an interest in Imperial Japan, Britain took an interest in the Samurai. The rest is history. ;)

When are you starting the scenario ?

So the war will begin in 1939 ?
No. You'll have to wait and see.

Will You be playing as Japan for the entire game ?
I wish. When I modded my files, I wasn't sure if the AI would do what I wanted for the scenario so I played as France for the first few year or so. that left me with an unprepared Japan for what I need.

This is pretty cool ! What are we going to see ?
Samurai. A totally unrealistic France :)p). A fractured Commonwealth. An Alliance on the verge of collapse. A lonely Japan.

Why aren't you playing with DAIM or setting this to Very Hard ? Say, what difficulty is this ?
This will be my first game with this mod and my second game as Japan. It will also be my third full length game. Therefore, if your looking for DAIM, go look at Democracy's Last Legs (In fact I recommend you do anyway) I'll be struggling against the mass of enemies I have. :). As for the difficulty, I will be playing on Normal because I would collapse against the IC of my enemies if I did not.

When will you make the first post ? I can't wait !

I will be posting on November 3. Both because I want to write more updates before I begin posting and because it will coincide with the release of Dragon Age Origins. Yes I am paying homage to Bioware. :p

Your last AAR didn't have many pictures. Will this one ?
Yes it will. They will be either story pictures (actual historical photos) or they will be game play pictures. As the AAR progress' though there will be fewer pictures. I've played ahead and decided not to grab as many because the situation remained largely the same.

What type of AAR is this ?
This is a narrative / character AAR.

Index ~
Prologue ...

Where we begin ...

What fate has stored ...

One man can change the World ...

Awards ~

- Best Character Writaar of the Week : 15/11/2009

Main Characters ~ Bold names are Living
Allied
- Katsumoto Takamori ; Japan ; In Argentina with Catherine
- Einglen Feurersturm ; Germany ; Within Berlin

- Winston Churchill ; Britain ; Within London
- Neville Chamberlain ; Within London
- Erwin Rommel ; Germany ; Planning the next moves of the Deutscher Landsmänner
- Catherine ; France ; In Argentina with Katsumoto

- Carl Friedrich Goerdeler ; Germany ; Forced to sign German Surrender, Executed by French Bloc

Bloc
- Pierre Laval ; France ; Celebrating the Downfall of Germany
- Erica I ; Sweden ; Killed by Katsumoto
- Colonel Bjorn ; Sweden ; Killed by Miura Anjin

Last edited:
So... history will still be normal to some degree yes? Like is their a Russian Empire or a Soviet Union?

History is very much the same up until 1929. So there is a Soviet Union, Germany lost WW1, Statute of Westminster went ahead. The only difference before then was ... well you'll find out in the first post, along with a different fate of a World War 1 Veteran. ;)

Looks interesting.

Subcribed!

Nice to have another AAR from you. Your concept is very interesting, let's see what will be path of modern Samurai like.

Awesomeness at great deal I feel in this AAR!

So here I join!

Sounds promising. Count me in.

So Saigo will be the founding father of modern Japan instead of Ito and the Meiji-Emperor?

Hope that Japan has modernised despite the samurai, although an army of katana-wielding samurai chopping up enemies would be Epic :D.

Looks interesting.

Subcribed!

Thanks !

Thanks !

Hmm...this looks very interesting.

That kinda narrows down the field, doesn't it?

Kind of. Mind, a lot of important people in WW II were vets of WW I so the question of who it is remains.

Nice to have another AAR from you. Your concept is very interesting, let's see what will be path of modern Samurai like.

Thanks !

Awesomeness at great deal I feel in this AAR!

So here I join!

I am glad that a reader of my first (and ongoing) AAR is looking forward to this one. :cool:

This seems to be very interesting, count me in.

Thanks !

Sounds promising. Count me in.

So Saigo will be the founding father of modern Japan instead of Ito and the Meiji-Emperor?

Hope that Japan has modernised despite the samurai, although an army of katana-wielding samurai chopping up enemies would be Epic :D.

You know Japanese history. Yes, Saigo will have founded the modern Japan, however Ito and the Meiji-Emperor were present.

In 1936, Japan is as modern (industrially) as it had been in the original 1936 scenario. Culturally, it never entered the period of 'Westernization' - ergo the phrase "Abandon Asia, go for the West" never emerged - and is very similair to the pre-World War I Japan save for a strong pro-alliance attitude with Britain and a strong anti-American attitude.

There will be more information in an update somewhere along the line.

Interesting, most interesting. *Looks for decent beard-stroking smiley in vain*

In 1936, Japan is as modern (industrially) as it had been in the original 1936 scenario. Culturally, it never entered the period of 'Westernization' - ergo the phrase "Abandon Asia, go for the West" never emerged - and is very similair to the pre-World War I Japan save for a strong pro-alliance attitude with Britain and a strong anti-American attitude.

I wonder what kind of impact this will have on technological research.

modernsam.jpg

You left yourself so open for that.

As an aside, Subscribeeeed!

Modern samuri????? That's more futerustic. Someone post a pic of samurai jack