+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Land of the Samurai - Japanese AAR

Land of the Samurai - Japanese AAR

"No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -- John Donne

What is Land of the Samurai ?
    An Alternate History AAR where the Samurai not only survived, but won the Bushido Wars, an actual period of riots and rebellions by Samurai during the Meiji period of Japan.

What's up with the image ? Will Germany, Britain and Japan work together !?!?

That is correct. Keep in mind though, this is a different history with a different Japan and a very different Germany.

How Often Will You Update ?
    The Depends. Possibly once every three days. I don't want to get to a point where I am rushing my writing and dragging down the level of the AAR.

Will we see Historical Characters ?
    Although this is an alternate history AAR, you will see Historical figures. However, circumstances will have changed some of their personalities.

The Samurai couldn't have won the Bushido Wars ! Right ?
    In this timeline, America and Britain were in a cold war-esque phase in the late 1800's. When America took an interest in Imperial Japan, Britain took an interest in the Samurai. The rest is history.

When are you starting the scenario ?

So the war will begin in 1939 ?
    No. You'll have to wait and see.

Will You be playing as Japan for the entire game ?
    I wish. When I modded my files, I wasn't sure if the AI would do what I wanted for the scenario so I played as France for the first few year or so. that left me with an unprepared Japan for what I need.

This is pretty cool ! What are we going to see ?
    Samurai. A totally unrealistic France (). A fractured Commonwealth. An Alliance on the verge of collapse. A lonely Japan.

Why aren't you playing with DAIM or setting this to Very Hard ? Say, what difficulty is this ?
    This will be my first game with this mod and my second game as Japan. It will also be my third full length game. Therefore, if your looking for DAIM, go look at Democracy's Last Legs (In fact I recommend you do anyway) I'll be struggling against the mass of enemies I have. . As for the difficulty, I will be playing on Normal because I would collapse against the IC of my enemies if I did not.

When will you make the first post ? I can't wait !

I will be posting on November 3. Both because I want to write more updates before I begin posting and because it will coincide with the release of Dragon Age Origins. Yes I am paying homage to Bioware.

Your last AAR didn't have many pictures. Will this one ?
    Yes it will. They will be either story pictures (actual historical photos) or they will be game play pictures. As the AAR progress' though there will be fewer pictures. I've played ahead and decided not to grab as many because the situation remained largely the same.

What type of AAR is this ?
    This is a narrative / character AAR.
    Index ~
    Prologue ...

Where we begin ...

What fate has stored ...

One man can change the World ...

Awards ~

- Best Character Writaar of the Week : 15/11/2009

Main Characters ~ Bold names are Living

Allied
    - Katsumoto Takamori ; Japan ; In Argentina with Catherine
    - Einglen Feurersturm ; Germany ; Within Berlin

- Winston Churchill ; Britain ; Within London
    - Neville Chamberlain ; Within London
    - Erwin Rommel ; Germany ; Planning the next moves of the Deutscher Landsmänner
    - Catherine ; France ; In Argentina with Katsumoto

- Carl Friedrich Goerdeler ; Germany ; Forced to sign German Surrender, Executed by French Bloc

Bloc
    - Pierre Laval ; France ; Celebrating the Downfall of Germany
    - Erica I ; Sweden ; Killed by Katsumoto
    - Colonel Bjorn ; Sweden ; Killed by Miura Anjin
    Last edited by TemplarComander; 21-04-2010 at 23:15.
    Land of the Samurai - Character WritAAR of the Week | Of Their Own Accord - United States of North America AAR
    I, Alexei - WritAAR of the Week | Flight of the Eagle - German MDS AAR
    Spotlight ; United We Stand - European Union AAR - Favourite Narrative AAR { AARland Awards 2011 - Round 2 }

Inducted into the Order of the Large and Intimidating Robert for I, Alexei : 31 - 1 - 2011
    TemplarComander's Cookie of Achievement

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron III

awesome Count me in Love japan AARs Looking forward to the Modern Samurai kicking butt! Read my AAR as well !

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourVictoria 2

So... history will still be normal to some degree yes? Like is their a Russian Empire or a Soviet Union?

Quote Originally Posted by Xesan View Post
    So... history will still be normal to some degree yes? Like is their a Russian Empire or a Soviet Union?
    History is very much the same up until 1929. So there is a Soviet Union, Germany lost WW1, Statute of Westminster went ahead. The only difference before then was ... well you'll find out in the first post, along with a different fate of a World War 1 Veteran.
    Land of the Samurai - Character WritAAR of the Week | Of Their Own Accord - United States of North America AAR
    Spotlight ; United We Stand - European Union AAR - Favourite Narrative AAR { AARland Awards 2011 - Round 2 }

Inducted into the Order of the Large and Intimidating Robert for I, Alexei : 31 - 1 - 2011

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2500k club

Blog Entries
    Looks interesting.

Subcribed!
    You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word - Al Capone

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum (If you want peace, prepare for war) - Pvblivs Flavivs Vegetivs Renatvs

Stopping the 40 day plan: A French 1914 AAR Completed
    pAARallel Universes: A Germany 1936 Grand Campaign Abandoned
    • Cookie from DoomBunny for recognizing Dr. Strangelove references

Arsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIISupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2

What's up with the image ? Will Germany, Britain and Japan work together !?!?
    That is correct.
    I'm in
    WritAAR of the Week 10/25/09

Hmm...this looks very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by TemplarComander View Post
    ...along with a different fate of a World War 1 Veteran.
    That kinda narrows down the field, doesn't it?
    "In America, anybody can be President. That's one of the risks you take."
    -Adlai Stevenson

The Presidents: The Vietnam War Edition
    President of the United States in 1962: Henry M. Jackson (Democrat-Washington)

Nostalgia Bombs Researcher Asalto's Avatar
    Darkest HourSupreme Ruler: Cold War

Cinnabar Island Military Research Facility
    Nice to have another AAR from you. Your concept is very interesting, let's see what will be path of modern Samurai like.
    Officer of the Royal and Imperial Order of the Sacred Pizza (awarded by Kurt Steiner)
    Weekly AAR Showcase Winner 29-3-2009 / 12-2-2012 / 2-3-2014; Fan of the Week 15-12-2013
    Heirs of Weltkrieg - Kaiserreich in 21st Century / It's a Long Way to Paris: National France in 21st Century
    Sweet Home Manitoba - KR Canada in Modern Day / Wrangel's Empire
    ''Nothing is true, everything is permitted'' - Alamut

Pantomacatalasecesionanis ta

Blog Entries
    Awesomeness at great deal I feel in this AAR!

So here I join!
    Fan número uno de Ailee para el resto de la eternidad y un poco más.
    "Pequeño Padawan Kurtizacoal, por qué me has salido tan cabrón?" - me dijo mi Maestro.
    Palo Dixit: posible Anticristo, vacalentacialanonanista, Culé y Salido que provoca manifas por donde pasa.
    Palo Dixit redux: Escatológico bipolar

AARs en curso o acabados -Ongoing and finished HoI2 AARs-
    WritAAR of the Week:16-03-07/5-04-09/13-09-09/19-09-10/28-10-11 - Fan of the week 25-03-07/29-10-07/06-04-08/29-12-08/13-09-09 - Canonized 02-12-07 - Best Character WritAAR of the Week:03-04-09- Showcased 01-05-2010/10-12-2010 - Mi blog: Confesiones clandestinas: El baile del hombrepanda [Actualizado 11/04/2014]

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Victoria 2

This seems to be very interesting, count me in.
    >>> Weekly AAR Showcase 27|04|2009 <<<
    "May the sun of june be as bright as the sun of may!" - King Juan I.

Back from the dead FlyingDutchie's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 Complete

Sounds promising. Count me in.

So Saigo will be the founding father of modern Japan instead of Ito and the Meiji-Emperor?

Hope that Japan has modernised despite the samurai, although an army of katana-wielding samurai chopping up enemies would be Epic .
    Some old works:
    The plot against Britain - a Kaiserreich mystery (on hold) - Character writer of the week (23-5-2010)
    Reconquista! - the exploits of the House Barcelona
    A Short History of the German Empire
    Assorted trophies: - Fan of the week (4-4-2010) - WritAAR of the week (18-10-2009) - Character writer of the week, (25-10-2009) - Joined first place AARland choice Favorite Comedy AAR 2009 (Q4) - Character writer of the week (11-4-2010) - Lord Strange Cookie of British Awesomenesss

Quote Originally Posted by humancalculator View Post
    Looks interesting.

Subcribed!
    Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Der_Leprechaun View Post
    I'm in
    Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Madien View Post
    Hmm...this looks very interesting.

That kinda narrows down the field, doesn't it?
    Kind of. Mind, a lot of important people in WW II were vets of WW I so the question of who it is remains.

Quote Originally Posted by Asalto View Post
    Nice to have another AAR from you. Your concept is very interesting, let's see what will be path of modern Samurai like.
    Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_Steiner View Post
    Awesomeness at great deal I feel in this AAR!

So here I join!
    I am glad that a reader of my first (and ongoing) AAR is looking forward to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Treppe View Post
    This seems to be very interesting, count me in.
    Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingDutchie View Post
    Sounds promising. Count me in.

So Saigo will be the founding father of modern Japan instead of Ito and the Meiji-Emperor?

Hope that Japan has modernised despite the samurai, although an army of katana-wielding samurai chopping up enemies would be Epic .

You know Japanese history. Yes, Saigo will have founded the modern Japan, however Ito and the Meiji-Emperor were present.

In 1936, Japan is as modern (industrially) as it had been in the original 1936 scenario. Culturally, it never entered the period of 'Westernization' - ergo the phrase "Abandon Asia, go for the West" never emerged - and is very similair to the pre-World War I Japan save for a strong pro-alliance attitude with Britain and a strong anti-American attitude.

There will be more information in an update somewhere along the line.

200k clubEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

I'm in. I wonder what a modern samurai looks like...
    Brittania: A Saga of Albion - Hiatus
    AwAARds
    WritAAR of the Week 11/23/09
    Character WritAAR of the Week 03/08/10
    Showcased 24/04/2010
    Favourite CK History Book AAR 07/06/2010 and 01/02/2011

Lord of Slower-than-real-time El Pip's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyDeus VultHearts of Iron IIISemper FiSword of the Stars

Interesting, most interesting. *Looks for decent beard-stroking smiley in vain*
    The Butterfly Effect: A British AAR - The finest and most spectacularly slower-than-real-time British AAR on the board. Updated 11th February 2014 featuring Soviet prop shafts, begging Italian admirals and spicy Royal Netherlands Navy indecision.

Inevitable Defeat - Slovakia '44 - The award winning characters Tiso and Tuka attempt to save Slovakia from defeat and destruction. It probably wont end well. It definitely did win an AARland Choice Comedy Award. Updated 16th September 2013. Voting is still technically ongoing in the 'Which Malar' mystery, but it has been for quite some time.

Furious Vengeance - A 1944 UK AAR - My actual best work - Winner of the 2009 Iron HeAARt Award

The other works

Quote Originally Posted by Vesimir View Post
    I'm in. I wonder what a modern samurai looks like...

You left yourself so open for that.

As an aside, Subscribeeeed!
    Earth Needs You!
    OPERATION BLUE DANUBE, SIGN UP TODAY!

Wild Machines!!!
    A CK 2 mod... (?!)

Quote Originally Posted by TemplarComander View Post
    In 1936, Japan is as modern (industrially) as it had been in the original 1936 scenario. Culturally, it never entered the period of 'Westernization' - ergo the phrase "Abandon Asia, go for the West" never emerged - and is very similair to the pre-World War I Japan save for a strong pro-alliance attitude with Britain and a strong anti-American attitude.
    I wonder what kind of impact this will have on technological research.
    "In America, anybody can be President. That's one of the risks you take."
    -Adlai Stevenson

The Presidents: The Vietnam War Edition
    President of the United States in 1962: Henry M. Jackson (Democrat-Washington)

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserMuffin View Post

You left yourself so open for that.

As an aside, Subscribeeeed!
    Modern samuri????? That's more futerustic. Someone post a pic of samurai jack
    Current President of the United States of America

"Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" The unalienable rights of man. The united American party
    stands for rights of all man or woman!

Join the United American Party in E Pluribus Unum
    today! Social Group here

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Supreme Ruler 2020 Gold500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by kovan09 View Post
    Modern samuri????? That's more futerustic. Someone post a pic of samurai jack
    Hahahaha, that's an american square faced famurai
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both. -Benjamin Franklin

Owner of the Portuguese Speakers Community (PSC)!

Domination of the Draka for Darkest Hour

200k clubEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

:P

I can imagine a "Bondish" character in a tuxedo. A .357 magnum or desert eagle hidden in his jacket and a highly decorated katana in his hand. In my imagination they look kinda like Yakuza bosses.
    Brittania: A Saga of Albion - Hiatus
    AwAARds
    WritAAR of the Week 11/23/09
    Character WritAAR of the Week 03/08/10
    Showcased 24/04/2010
    Favourite CK History Book AAR 07/06/2010 and 01/02/2011

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron III

How about a Samurai with a gun on his back and a Katana at his waist that seems much more like the Modern day samurai... Or like gun samurai in Rise of nations

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast