[The Resistance] Statistics and General Discussion Thread

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
PMS would have to be banned or allOwed else what happens when a villager PMS a residence member

Well, there are still issues. I just came up with the idea right now. I've got to mull over the fine details.

It seems like this would collapse under its own complexity and would result in total chaos. That said it sounds awesome and regardless of outcome it will be memorable. I will definitely join.

I still don't know why we can't have pms in Resistance, there are problems it raises, but they can be avoided. We had the same debate in WW Micro, that usually didn't have pms, several people were against adding pms.
But we eventually put them in. Randy GM'ed, and me, AOK, EURO, Jonti-h and jacob-Lundgren played the greatest and only really memorable game in WWM history.

If you had to fulfil both sets of winning conditions to be considered to have actually won, I doubt we will have many winners at all.
There are only four different combinations, so on average 1/4 of the players alive at game start will have the winning conditions, although some will be dead. Still, I'd say roughly 1/8 of people will win.

just the other.day I was thinking about a werewoof game where no PMS were allowed
2005 called. They want The Gonzo back.

There are only four different combinations, so on average 1/4 of the players alive at game start will have the winning conditions, although some will be dead. Still, I'd say roughly 1/8 of people will win.

It depends on whether the werewolf or the resistance game finishes first. If it's werewolf we tend to have between 1-5 winners. Only 60% of them will be resistance so I guess an average of 0-3 winners each game.

I also think that hunts will completely screw up the resistance side of things. If we either lose 2-3 spies without any resistance members dying or vice versa then it will be very easy for the other side to dominate teams. I mean if spies get to the point where they outnumber resistance, then resistance can't possibly win.

It depends on whether the werewolf or the resistance game finishes first. If it's werewolf we tend to have between 1-5 winners. Only 60% of them will be resistance so I guess an average of 0-3 winners each game.

I also think that hunts will completely screw up the resistance side of things. If we either lose 2-3 spies without any resistance members dying or vice versa then it will be very easy for the other side to dominate teams. I mean if spies get to the point where they outnumber resistance, then resistance can't possibly win.
Don't let all the spies know each other.

Another problem is in terms of getting players, is that you can't just have werewolf players and resistance players in the game. You need people who are experienced in both and there just isn't a very large resistance player base or depth of experience.

Don't let all the spies know each other.

But then what's the point? Winning the resistance part of the game just becomes complete luck for both sides.

I think an easier game would be combining Avalon with normal resistance. Stick with Avalon rules but scrap Merlin and Octa and throw in the cards from regular resistance. So the main difference is a single spy unknown to everyone and the swapping Lancelots. There might be some issues that need ironing out but I think this game could be interesting.

For the record, I don't care for the cards.

I think what we need is an Avalon with a reconfigured role setup. But it's more complicated that what jpr proposes. If you get rid of Merlin, that makes Perceval somewhat useless. And that makes Morgana far less meaningful.

So, you're stuck with the Lancelots, if the GM uses them, and maybe the Ysbaddaden role.

Maybe Merlin gets X number of scans per game (limit of 1 per round though), instead of the near total list of the Spies, and Octa (perhaps with a renamed name for the role) gets an equal number of chances to block those scans? If the two play the scan and block on the same round, the scan is blocked. When used, they're gone for good whether or not the scan or block was a success. To spell it out, if a scan is blocked, it is essentially wasted. If a block is played, but Merlin did not scan, the block is wasted. Lancelots are invisible to scans. Might be worth a try. Make it so they would have to play the scan THE ROUND BEFORE the one they want to use is upon so it doesn't cause problems, ie waiting 3 days to confirm the baddie doesn't want to use a block. Exception is made for the 1st round, of course, as a practical matter.

But even then, the Perceval and Morgana roles would be contingent on Merlin, so one has to wonder if they ought to be modified, too.

Marty, that assumes all of the people alive at the end were in that group.
I suspect it's perfectly possible to have a game like that end with no winners ;-)

Marty, that assumes all of the people alive at the end were in that group.
I suspect it's perfectly possible to have a game like that end with no winners ;-)
No, it doesn't. Re-read the post.

But then what's the point? Winning the resistance part of the game just becomes complete luck for both sides.

I think an easier game would be combining Avalon with normal resistance. Stick with Avalon rules but scrap Merlin and Octa and throw in the cards from regular resistance. So the main difference is a single spy unknown to everyone and the swapping Lancelots. There might be some issues that need ironing out but I think this game could be interesting.
Interesting. You disagree with me, then propose the exact same thing I was thinking of. I thought it was pretty obvious I meant an Avalon type variation.

I thought you meant don't let the spies know each other within a werewolf/resistance set up.
"Don't let all the spies know each other". Most spies will know most other spies, but there will be some information blindspots, just like in werewolf, just like in Avalon.

I still think we should do Weresistance. :happy:

Beats me.

Maybe have two Merlin who know all the baddies between each other in some combination, but they don't know one another and the Octa has to guess them both?

Beats me.

Maybe have two Merlin who know all the baddies between each other in some combination, but they don't know one another andthe Octa has to guess them both?
Sounds interesting. It may need balancing, but I think it could work.

I think something along those lines is the starting point.

Or even try this: No Merlin, Morgana, Perceval or Octa, but keep the Lancelots and ALWAYS include Ysbaddaden.

That guarantees 3 players will have a role and still forces strategic play.

Technically speaking, an Avalon game needs Merlin and the Assassin (who seems to have been given the name Octa around here...) and that's it.

Adding Percival aids the good guys.

Adding Oberon (Ysbaddaen??? Where'd that come from?) also aids the good guys.

Adding Morgana aids the bad guys (but only if we already have a Percival).

Adding Mordred (Spy whose identity is unknown to Merlin) also aids the bad guys.

Lancelots are assumed to be somewhat neutral, as is Excalibur.

The Lady of the Lake mechanic also helps out the good guys.