[The Resistance] Statistics and General Discussion Thread

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You wanted a spy on a team instead of me who had been cleared. You were wrong. Nothing to be frustrated about. You were wrong.

Except there was nothing wrong with having a spy on that mission? I knew there would be and it was still the safest team we could have. Only you and Aedan actually knew what your role was, why would any of the rest of us trust you? You argued with me completely unnecessarily and should have just got behind a team that you yourself thought would probably work too. You spent the entire game acting like a spy and frankly hurt the resistance more than you actually helped (at least from my point of view as you made me doubt who the actual spies were). If it had been a tougher game for the resistance you could easily have cost us a win.

I wasn't wrong about anything. I said that TNT and pjsn were probably spies along with Videon before you started arguing with everything I said. I also said that my team would have one spy on but would almost certainly succeed - which it did. What was I wrong about?

I wasn't a spy. I therefore did not act spy like. That you make broad strokes with your suspicion paint brush does not make my style of play inferior. What you perceive as me being spy like was not spy like, all of what I did clearly belongs to the repertoire of a resistance player too. You misinterpret reality, and that is not my fault.

I disagree. You said that me and Glio were spies then went and got Aedan who I said might be your spy mate to clear you with the OC rather than using it on something useful. Those are major spy indicators right there. Plus fighting against a team that by your own analysis would work is another spyish thing to do. I just found it hard to believe that any resistance member would actually be as difficult as you were being. Despite all that I did think Videon was more likely to be a spy than you and Aedan but I saw no reason to take a risk and have you on the team rather than Videon.

I wasn't a spy. I therefore did not act spy like. That you make broad strokes with your suspicion paint brush does not make my style of play inferior. What you perceive as me being spy like was not spy like, all of what I did clearly belongs to the repertoire of a resistance player too. You misinterpret reality, and that is not my fault.

You were paranoid, stubborn to a fault, completely incapable of seeing JPR's position, and apparently failed to understand that just because Aedan knew your role you could not assume that particular piece of information would make you cleared in the eyes of anyone other than Aedan.
So yeah, obviously resistance :D

There were arguments you could have made to point out that JPR wasn't entirely in the clear either, but you didn't quite make them. Instead, you called his arguments confused nonsense (which they weren't) and resorted to calling him a confused puppy. Argument by insult really isn't a way to win such a discussion, you know.

Last edited:
There were arguments you could have made to point out that JPR wasn't entirely in the clear either, but you didn't quite make them.

Yeah, the only valid argument against my team (which nobody ever used) was that it was possible Glio and I were spymates. That could have explained why team 2 was sabotaged but not team 3.

Now join my game Randy! No more observing.

The spies lost the game in round four, and thus a spy would have had all the reasons in the world to go toe to toe with anyone about the composition of the fourth mission team. There were two people who did that, you and me. I knew I wasn't the spy. Also you still won't admit I had a point. You were unhelpful by being overly specific about the composition of a team that could include one spy.

When I'm not a spy and you detect spy signals from me, that is cause your spy-dar is malfunctioning. From now on

is no longer a spyish thing to do. I did it when I wasn't a spy.

Just because you did something as resistance does not mean it's something a spy wouldn't do. I maintain it's something that a spy is far more likely to do than a helpful Resistance member. Doesn't mean my 'spy-dar' is off. Just means you decided to act very dodgy for no discernible reason.

Just because you did something as resistance does not mean it's something a spy wouldn't do. I maintain it's something that a spy is far more likely to do than a helpful Resistance member. Doesn't mean my 'spy-dar' is off. Just means you decided to act very dodgy for no discernible reason.

Spy-dar sounds like an evil giant spider.

Just because a spy does something that doesn't make it spyish. A spyish thing is something that a spy is more likely to do than a resistance member. I am saying that having an argument drag on in the main thread is not a good spy detecting proxy. It results in too many false positives. If the odds of a spy sign revealing anything are fifty fifty, then cause there are more resistance than spy players, it will result in false positives most of the time. That makes it next to useless. Next game go with something else. Can't use that idea any more.

His argument against you wasn't about your behaviour at all. Not initially, at least.
Initially, his argument was that with three possible people who could have sabotaged, and one of them in the clear due to plot cards, the chances you are a spy were 50-50. Which is an entirely logical chain of thought, and a perfectly valid reason to exclude people from a team.

If anyone is really creative, they could come up with an Avalon game with their own original roles.

I want the next game to be an Avalon game, I liked that variant better than plain vanilla Resistance.

I didn't. I like resistance as all roles are equal. Everybody contributes equally to their team winning (at least in theory). In Avalon if you don't have a special role, you basically have to put your trust in those that do. There's very little chance of actually working out who the spies are without the help of Lancelot and Merlin.

But Avalon is nice to have every now and then just for something different.

Maybe instead of Merlin, all Resistance are given a pair of players in PM, and are guaranteed that one of them is Resistance?

Still no PM between players, of course.

Maybe instead of Merlin, all Resistance are given a pair of players in PM, and are guaranteed that one of them is Resistance?

Still no PM between players, of course.

What would stop everyone saying who their pair is, adding up the number of times a person's name appears and then know the people who are most likely spies?

We definitely need to come up with our own variation. I'm just not creative enough to do it.

I think jpr123 is the man for the job.

Jpr just ran the last one.

What would stop everyone saying who their pair is, adding up the number of times a person's name appears and then know the people who are most likely spies?

It might be possible to give some of the same pairs to more than one player, or include pairs that include both as Resistance. Just to confuse things, you see. There's not much to keep Spies from try to make their own claims, too.

At least I'm trying to come up with something. :(

What about if instead of one resistance player trying to guess Merlin, you had them all send in their guess and if the real Merlin had the majority, the spies win? That would at least make it harder to guess the Merlin by random chance.

How about if Octa gets Merlin, the resistance still wins and the spies still lose, but Merlin losses and Octa wins. That way, Merlin doesn't take the resistance down with him if discovered, but still can't just spill the beans, because if he did, he would lose.

Merlin would still be quite disappointed, though.

Not to mention all of the other Spies but Octa.

How about if Octa gets Merlin, the resistance still wins and the spies still lose, but Merlin losses and Octa wins. That way, Merlin doesn't take the resistance down with him if discovered, but still can't just spill the beans, because if he did, he would lose.

I actually considered that but then rejected it. Because if you have those rules all Perceval needs to do to win is to publish his two names. That way Octa would immediately know who Merlin is, and could then simply tell the village who else is in his spy team. After all, he doesn't need *them* to win anymore ..

Merlin would still be quite disappointed, though.

Not to mention all of the other Spies but Octa.

You would reward the villagers for trying to figure out in public who merlin is, too. Since if Octa knows who merlin is he can just out his spy team..

I actually considered that but then rejected it. Because if you have those rules all Perceval needs to do to win is to publish his two names. That way Octa would immediately know who Merlin is, and could then simply tell the village who else is in his spy team. After all, he doesn't need *them* to win anymore ..
Good point, I hadn't thought of that. Anyway, I'm sure one of these ideas will pan out.