• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
coz, I suspect it is because Trempwick is sensing that Nell is drifting away, that indeed she was truely supporting Hugh. He has quenched that part of her quite effectively by telling this story, as he probably predicted.

Nice update indeed, now Joc needs to show up, and Nell is all set to be queen, as her last idea for supporting Hugh is based on him being named Heir ;)

Avernite said:
Nice update indeed, now Joc needs to show up, and Nell is all set to be queen, as her last idea for supporting Hugh is based on him being named Heir ;)

Yes, but to find Eleanor, Jocelyn probably begins with going to Hugh (dangerous) or Trempwick (more dangerous). Scotland is far away, and roads are not at all safe. Jocelyn is able to protect himself and the letters against open force, but Trempwick is more used to dirty tricks. Thrilling.

Coz1, Matilda is the eldest daughter, married to the Holy Roman Emperor. Just like a different Matilda in a different timeline.

Great updates, Froggy. Ignore the disdainful customers and don't read books of authors who annoy you. It just sours your taste. Haven't read Eddings in years. I think I might sell of my Jordans. I also hope he recovers. And I should have known better than reading a series in progress....

Take care of yourself now, hear?

DW

The King of Scots finished his showing off outside, did a bit of showing off inside his palace, and the came to rest in his main hall, still showing off. He sat on his throne at the dais, his court gathered about him – that much was a familiar sight to Eleanor. It was the way the man did it that was so obnoxious. Take his crown, for example. He wore his full state crown instead of his lesser one: gold, more gold, gems, more gems, some more gold, some more gems – it had chinstraps like a helmet so it could be secured to his royal little head. England’s crown had never needed that, because it was tasteful, balanced, and did not contain enough gold and stones to fund three sizeable castles. According to Anne he had had it made specially, replacing the original crown, which, apparently, he had found too mundane for his grand majesty.

Eleanor wished she had not worn her own crown. The simple band of plain gold was cast into pall, and it seemed likely people would see it as cheap rather than discerning. It hadn’t been her choice or design anyway! She’d just been given the thing and told to say thank you. The crown she’d had as a child hadn’t been any different, just smaller and, in the end, when it had been let out too many times, melted down and added to the metal required to make this one.

Malcolm lounged at his father’s right, on a throne smaller and lower than his father’s. Dressed from head to toe in black with only the white of his shirt at his throat and the colour of the decorative bands at neck and hem to provide variety, crowned with a band of gold with a few gemstone and fleurons rising at front, back and sides, he presented a sight quite in contrast to his father.

The thump of a staff on the tiled floor told her it was time. Three ponderous thumps and the king’s herald announced, “Her royal Highness, Princess Eleanor of England, lady of Towcester, seisined of Greens Norton, Warmington, Ketton, and Barrowden.”

As announcements went it was not to Eleanor’s liking; better if they had left out her meagre possessions.

Alone she proceeded down the central space of the hall. She dropped her curtsey before the dais, not a fraction deeper than necessary. She did not wait for him to give her leave to straighten; she was not his underling, and only marginally his lesser … sort of.

Anne’s father was not precisely the sort of man you’d expect to find under a crown like that. Or perhaps then again he was. In appearance he was entirely unremarkable. The most remarkable thing about him was the beard, a long thing of straight hair, tortured into curls at the tips to match his equally tortured long hair, a style England had abandoned when William Rufus collected an unexpected arrow to the chest in the New Forest. The tip of a scar poked out onto his cheek above where the hair stopped growing, and likely provided the reason the beard had been grown. “Ah. Our cousin of England. We are most pleased to receive you.”

Forewarned, Eleanor managed to keep her face set into pleased graciousness without trouble. King Malcolm was one of those who believed he spoke for all, and so pluralized. Cousin was more interesting. Reigning monarchs were ‘cousins’, usually, a convenient term which had everything to do with being one of God’s anointed and very little to do with the tangled web of marriages; cousin by role and not by blood. Yet very occasionally the term was applied to all royalty, extending the ‘family’. “Thank you,” said Eleanor.

“We were most saddened to hear of your father’s demise. We mourn him for himself, as well as for our daughter’s sake. A great man, and one we found respect for, and liking, though we had cause to do otherwise.” With an ironic smile the king touched the scar on his cheek; he had collected it in the only major battle fought between the two realm in his rule, a battle which had been a sound defeat for the Scots. “We are told you wish to renew the alliance between our holdings.”

“I am here to do so on my brother’s behalf, yes.”

“Business is a thing for later. For now we do celebrate our return to our beloved capital, and this meeting with our guests.” One beringed hand rose to rest on the arm of the chair next to his. “Pray you, be seated.”

“Thank you.” Eleanor sat, not liking where she was positioned. She was in his wife’s place.

The other ranking members of her party were announced and came forward for their brief introductions. Without Sir Miles the party lacked in prestige, made up now of people who, while important and holding land, were primarily royal servants, such as the chief clerk.

When Fulk’s turn came king Malcolm’s eyes lit up. “Ah. We have heard much of you. We find you must be the son of a great man.”

Still on bent knee, Fulk looked up. “Sire, I would hope any son who has had a good father would say so.”

“Yes.” The word dragged out. The had which had been stroking the royal beard extended to Fulk in an invitation to kiss the royal ring. “We do name you our friend.”

Eleanor tried not to let the sight of Fulk doing what looked very like homage to the King of Scots annoy her. It was an empty action, and if the man thought he could gain advantage by making her party seem shabby and claiming her famous knight, well she would find a way to make use of it and prove him wrong. Somehow. If only Miles were here – he had been intended to lead, and she to follow and learn. Diplomacy and its sort were learned one quarter in theory and instruction and three quarters in witnessing and doing, and one quarter as natural talent, bringing it to a total of five which, Trempwick had always said, made about as much sense as most of the mandatory compliments.

When he’d finished kissing the ring Fulk was given leave to remain standing. King Malcolm said, “We have given thought to a tournament, and would greatly like this, and find it a diversion and entertainment fitting to honour our cousin of England. A tournament of peace, in the most gentle manner. We shall require the two teams be mixed, that it not be said our two nations are pitted against one another. It is our wish that you lead one team, as foremost of your lady’s knights.”

Fulk’s face turned incrementally, to look at Eleanor. She gave the slightest of nods. What other option was there, except to demand he refuse the honour, and with no grounds to do so?

As soon as the word ‘tournament’ had been mentioned, the younger Malcolm had stopped lolling and started to pay attention. Now, eagerly, he said, “With your permission, my lord, I shall lead the other.”

It seemed the older Malcolm heard Eleanor’s prayers, for he turned on his son. “No.”

“I would be quite safe, and acquit myself with honour. I am a belted squire.” One of the boy’s hands came to rest below the mouth of his sword scabbard, the other on his opposite hip where the slanting sword belt joined his waist belt.

Softly, the king promised, “Not nearly as belted as you can become.”

The boy blanched. His hands tightened their grip, knuckles going as white as his face. “Any other father,” he said in a low, controlled voice, “would be proud for his son to lead. He would not try to hold him back, and coddle him like a girl.”

“You may leave, Malcolm.”

Flinging himself from his chair a rosy flush spread over Malcolm’s pale features. “How’s it feel, to know that at not even half your age I’ve more guts and balls than you’ll ever manage to dream of, old man?” The resounding silence said a lot about a court which was forced to a split, fearing the future king and having a duty to the current one which could not yet be passed over.

“My son, I do find you most amusing.”

“’We’, father, not ‘I’. You forgot your bloody plural. You’re still poncing about before the court, not in private.” The boy caught his crown from his head and swept a bow, the arm with the crown arm extended in a flourish which nearly touched the ground, so low did he dip. He marched out; it impossible to see how any could think to call him ‘The Lame’ unless it were an paradoxical acknowledgement of his grace.

For Eleanor’s ears alone the king said, “Sometimes I find it a great pity it is beneath both of our dignities to have that boy scourged. But royal blood is precious, and none of decency should be marked like scum.”

Marked like the very worst scum and known to be so, Eleanor said nothing, suspecting a dual purpose to her companion’s words: truthful comment, and dig at his dead rival.

Malcolm the elder began to stroke his beard again, hand gliding down the hair and catching the end of the strands between his nails to give them a brief a brief tug. “Well, we shall see when his brother has a few more years. Then we shall see. But for now I shall have him thrashed, methinks.”

Fleuron = one of those little flower shaped thingies that appear on the top edge of some crowns. As opposed to a trefoil, which is simply a three-pointed/leafed shaped thing which appears on the top edge of some crowns.

“I am a belted squire.” […] “Not nearly as belted as you can become.” Excuse me while I grin evilly, because I do like that, nasty as it is. Also loving Trempy’s comment on diplomacy.

Coz1: Dead William is correct about Matilda.

As for why Trempy waited till now to tell Nell, it is because she is Nell. Our kind and gentle felia regis is not the easiest of gooseberries to stick on a throne. It will take a lot to make her seriously consider it, and more to make her do it. She has not been brought up to the idea – it was not possible, however much he may have wished it. Instead she has been brought up with the idea one of her brothers will be king, and she will support him. As we all know, she does not think she could rule, and she does not think it would work too well.

Trempy had to be careful. The timing had to be right. He had just begun to introduce the idea and a few bits of necessary history oh so carefully when public rift between himself and Hugh was forming. He ran out of time – Hugh had him thrown from the palace. If you remember, as they dragged him away he had just begun telling Nell about Hugh’s status, in a way he didn’t want to and far sooner than he wished to. As they dragged him out he said, “Hatred is a good mask for love, Nell. Exile allows what ordinary life would not, and gives secrecy.” He then shouts back, “You were chosen!” Since then he has been trying to get her back, and he would have told her all in a suitable manner. Except he failed, and failed again. So now he has taken a very poor alternative, as it seems the only way to communicate with her in the near future.

If he had told her any of it too soon, it all could have gone to ruin. She has a habit of saying stupid things when her temper gets the better of her. She might have found it harder to act as she needed to when her father was still alive – if she knew she was going to replace him what might she have done, rash and terrified of him as she was? Or if she had wanted some part of her due, and become more focused on getting the mass of lands and incomes which she should have but (even now) does not? Or if she had decided she wanted no part in it, because Hugh could still be accepted and all could go smoothly, believing this because deep down she wants to and because she had not seen proof that people would support her and damn Hugh? What if she betrayed him? He has never trusted her completely, and she has tried more than once to pull free of his grip; the whole Fulk affair (pun semi-intentional) was only the latest attempt.

Cliffracer: Good news. When they patch the game I might begin to look at it to see if it is appealing, if I have time to play it. Not until then, not after Morrowind’s release version. Do let me know what you think of it. :)

Avernite: We shall have to hope Joss doesn’t pawn the ring and use the money on wine and women. :eek:o

Scrooge: Thrilling indeed, and when he is done Joss can write a travel guide, thus making a fortune and impressing his wife … assuming it doesn’t detail all the low dives and such like, and instead focuses on shrines and other nice places. :D

Dead William: I’m impressed with your memory. Or did you look the answer up? :p In which case I am impressed with your dedication; 839 pages is a lot of text. :D

Nice update, Froggy!

Ummmm, I am afraid it is the memory thing... Ith helps her name is the same as the real Matilda who married a HRE.

DW

Actually, frogster, I knew Matilda was one of the sisters, and I figured it was the elder. I didn't KNOW she was in the HRE, but I knew she wasn't in Spain or France, so I could've worked it out too ;)

Anyhow, it seems this king is a bit pompous, which Fulk seems to like and Nell seems to hate. I am getting this nagging suspicion that in the end, they will break up :(

This is getting pretty interesting. I agree the king seems pompous but I think I like him more than lil Malcolm. I wonder if the king might have a little something up his sleeve for Fulk in the tournament or after it.

It would not surprise me to see the King or Malcolm show up in the tournament unannounced. Fulk is on his horse and as he turns to salute his opponent he sees the royal colors. What to do? What to do?

Young Malcolm continues to provide high entertainment. What words to speak in public to his father! The cheek of the boy! But entirely within his character. As evil as the little git is, I kind of hope you have him on the winning side at the end. He seems too rich in character to perish in the final denoument.

Ah yes, but quick tempers often find themselves on the wrong end of an unfriendly sword. (payback's a b****, really bad thing)

“Perhaps you might inform us as to what is occurring in England,” the elder Malcolm asked Eleanor. “All we hear is … muddled.”

The audience had continued until it was time for dinner to be served. Then, and only then, had the King of Scots condescended to set aside his crown – Jesù! The thing rested on a shelf built into his throne, still hovering above his head – and relax the formality of the hall. Not that the meal had been without its disturbing aspects; Eleanor had found herself once again occupying the place of the king’s absent wife, seated as his dining partner. At least that had put the father between herself and Malcolm the younger; the prince had reappeared in good time to lounge into the second most honourable seat at the high table.

The meal had passed, a feast in truth, and yet another display of royal power and wealth. With not even a day’s warning the kitchen had assembled a lavish banquet, a good part of it from animals still alive that very morning. Eleanor decided the king must have decided to hold this feast on his way here and given some very secretive orders; it might amaze the naive but she was well acquainted with the many tricks used to impress.

The tables had been cleared, the hall broken up into the serious business of enjoying a good party. The two Malcolms and Eleanor remained alone on the dais, a lengthy gap between the foot of the platform and the start of the people. Between the gap and the noise their words were as private as if they were spoken in a closed room.

Now, finally, it appeared the king was ready to discuss business.

“You will explain first,” the king continued, “about your husband.”

Down in the hall Eleanor’s husband was being dragged into a game of Hoodman Blind by a group of laughing young bloods, a goodly portion of them female. Not that Fulk was putting up much resistance; a girl hanging off each arm he smiled and laughed and tried to finish his drink before it spilled, allowing himself to be guided over to the playing area. Eleanor reminded herself that she had ordered him to enjoy himself tonight. He deserved it; if she hadn’t ordered it he’d have been keeping a careful eye on her all night again, watching what he drank, being watchful of everything he did in case it took him away from her or hampered his guard. He’d been doing that for months. It was not as if he had sought the women out, and there wasn’t anything in it to criticise even in a married man. The sinking feeling came from knowing that Fulk was considered single, and would be treated as such; all she could do was watch. Or try not to.

“I have no husband,” Eleanor said. Sometimes it did feel that way. “Trempwick lies.”

“He has presented proof, and witnesses in good number.”

“Money will buy much, and village girls are free for those with the rank to take.”

The younger Malcolm chuckled, slouching down in his seat and sprawling his legs wider in what might have been a decent imitation of an obnoxiously virile man if only there were more to him than raw bones and skinniness. “Free for anyone, actually. They’re lacking in discretion and virtue both. Famous for it.” If his father had carried out his promise to have someone thrash the boy it didn’t show. Knowing how much a display of normality could cost in such circumstances, Eleanor hoped he was sitting very uncomfortably.

Anne’s father ignored his son; worrying away at his beard again. Close up it was possible to see that the russet of the hairs was peppered with tiny flecks of white where strands had split and broken, proving the habit a strong one. “Words; words alone against proof and witnesses. A contract, also. It seems most clear as to which way a court would decide, if the matter were taken to one.”

Fulk twisted away from the flailing hands of the blindfolded woman at the heart of the game, tugging at her hair and clothing and escaping her time after time. He was still laughing. Eleanor wished she could dodge as well in the game she played. “He lies, and I can prove it. I have consummated no marriage.”

The king grunted.

His son slid upwards in his chair to sit decently, insolent smirk melting from his features. “Fucking hell!”

“You claimed,” Malcolm the elder stated, blocking anything else his son might have said, “to be here on your brother’s part.”

“I am.”

“Whereupon it then follows the cause in your name …”

Eleanor finished the leading statement, “Is not mine, no.”

One of the men playing Hoodman Blind planted his hands in Fulk’s back and gave a shove, sending him crashing into the woman. She squealed, and lost no time in securing her grasp on his tunic, spare hand groping for his face. Once she found his crooked nose the woman must have known who he was, and that was likely why she extended her search for clues to cover as much of Fulk’s body as possible. He endured, laughing again now his voice wouldn’t give his identity away. The woman made her guess at who she had caught; the blindfold was pulled free and wrapped around Fulk’s eyes.

Spun around several times to disorient him, the knight was loosed and the game began again. Snatches of the song celebrating Fulk’s rescue of her made their way to Eleanor’s ears as some of the players shouted a line or two as they baited him, showing off with their risk-taking by increasing the likelihood Fulk would know them if his blind hands closed on a body. Not knowing many people here Fulk was at a tremendous disadvantage. Other hands, far from blind and very female, were closing on his body, some of them in locations far from seemly. Eleanor’s nails bit into her palms. This was a part of the game – it was much of the point. With the excuse of being blind, and of taunting the blind, one could do much that would normally lead to either a quick marriage or an irate spouse; it was a brief, harmless release from the demands of status. If she’d cared to play Eleanor could have joined in without the slightest reproach. Which helped nothing.

The king laid his hands on the arms of his throne; he leaned his head back to rest against the carved back. “We expect two teams of forty per side to be managed for our tournament. As it is to be a joyous event, not a serious one, it is in our mind to set the ransom for a captured knight at six marks, four for a man at arms. We will not have men lose horse and harness, and beggaring themselves when their swords may be of use.”

Six marks would beggar Eleanor’s new knights and her men at arms. Six marks would make Fulk struggle, assuming he received the rents of the lands he supposedly held, which was far from assured and one of the items on her list of things to apply her resources to on returning to England. Six marks was a trivial sum to any of better status than they.

He continued, “The teams shall be selected on the day, by lottery, all except the captains. The side not led by your knight will be led by Sir Fergus of Kilfinan, a man of honour and deeds.”

Whom Eleanor knew next to nothing about, other than that he was a experienced fighter who had stood long at his king’s side. Caring far less for this tournament than the purpose she had come here for, Eleanor ventured, “My brother is most eager to renew the alliance.”

“The time does not suit. Business is not for now.”

The prince’s lip curled, revealing a hint of incisor. “What you mean, old man, is that you haven’t decided which side to back yet.”

Being as the king was not yet thirty-seven and any visible signs of advancing age Eleanor found the boy’s liking for calling him old a sign of a stunted imagination.

The king’s gaze settled directly on Eleanor for the first time all evening, not looking past or to the side or above or anywhere else but truly at her. The hairs on the back of her neck stood up; that gaze dismissed her as nothing, a curiosity, a thing. Majesty discarded, the man asked softly, “Are you Queen of England, do you make that claim?”

“I do not.”

Then she was freed, forgotten as the man spoke to his son. “You see?”

The boy’s reply was grave. “It does not matter. We are honour bound.” It seemed he could speak nicely when he chose; the words were as precisely formed as one might expect of a noble.

“You are young and rash, and delude yourself with notions honour instead of practicality, asking for what you want and calling it right as you hide the fact you want it.” One hand made a chopping motion, rings sparkling in the candlelight. “Enough. We will discuss this later.” The king inclined his head to Eleanor. “All of it. At the appropriate time.” He clapped his hands, and from the background two pages brought forth a small table and a gaming board. “I hear from my daughter you have taken up tafl, and are proving adept.”

Fulk captured another player, the second time he had done so; this time it was a man. Once again he failed to guess the player’s identity and was left to stumble on.

Board set up, Eleanor found herself given the attacker’s side. Anne’s father did not have himself set up as her opponent; he had Malcolm take that role. The boy sprawled at a better angle to study the board, yawning widely, eyes hooded and mouth drawn into a flat line.

Eleanor made her first move, a man at arms out to threaten one of Malcolm’s point men.

The boy reached out and shoved a piece over to stand next to hers, acting without deliberation.

Eleanor considered, countered, bringing out another piece so he could not capture hers and endeavouring to limit movement along two files of squares.

Again he moved as if by rote, slamming another carved soldier into position to harry her.

Fulk’s probing hands banged into a body; Eleanor smothered a scowl. What did it matter if her knight happened to paw a lady’s chest while completely unable to see what he was doing? Besides, since it was Godit it was likely her contrivance. She had joined the game but minutes ago, after Fulk had failed to win free the second time. The little slut couldn’t refrain from giggling as Fulk’s arms closed clumsily about her, which gave her away. Freed, Fulk reached up to untie the blindfold. Before he fastened it into place on Godit he bowed over her hand and kissed it.

Well, if he was going to be a fool then she would ignore him. It was all the broken-nosed, idiotic, lack-witted, rust-brained oaf deserved!

Several turns passed in their game of tafl. Malcolm never once paused to consider; Eleanor did so frequently, putting her patience to training.

The King of Scots said, “Our daughter is most insistent that she will return to England with you, that she may wait for her husband’s remains to be brought back. She will not hear otherwise. We shall allow it.”

“My father would have liked that. He was very fond of her.”

Malcolm demolished another of Eleanor’s pieces. Tossing the little carved figure from hand to hand he told his father, “Oh, shut the hell up, damn you. You’re ruining her concentration, and so the game.”

The unpleasantness Eleanor expected didn’t come. Malcolm the elder said evenly, “Then play.”

The remainder of the game was short, brutal. Malcolm stormed all over her, aggressive and daring in his tactics, sending his defending side at her in an onslaught which battered right through her formations and let the king piece escape to one of the marked corner squares.

“Not bad,” Malcolm declared. He picked up a cluster of her fallen warriors and started to juggle them, sending them flying about in a single loop. His voice swung up into a shrill midway through his words as he said, “If a man’s going to be a general then he needs to think strategy and the like. So I’ve made a study of it. All of it. Chess, this, and all the other games, even the shitty little children’s ones. And I’ve practiced on the field too. I’ve even led in a tournament, once.” Giving his father a pointed look, Malcolm missed his catch of one piece and it bounced across the table. “God’s bones!” he swore.

Eleanor caught the piece on its second bounce. With deliberate care she set the little man back down on a starting square on the board. With a flick of a hand she sent the piece airborne again, joined by two others. Unlike Malcolm she didn’t miss her catch; the three pieces were worked into a loop, one more grabbed and added as she juggled. The loop became two rows bouncing up and down from each hand. Smiling at her audience the pieces returned to a loop, two more snatched up and added. She increased the speed. This had been one of Trempwick’s early teachings; she could keep more complicated patterns going almost as well as a professional. It suddenly seemed important to make the point she was better at something than they, and something unexpected may make then consider her more carefully and worry what other talents she may be hiding.

A few more showy tricks and Eleanor ended the performance, catching all the pieces and dipping into a shallow, seated bow. Tempted as she was, Eleanor refrained from adding that her next trick would be to make a knight disappear, herself along with him.

A smattering of applause came from the hall, growing in strength when it was seen the king did not object.

Fulk, sat at a game of draughts, gave her a wink when she met his eye.

Hand busy on his beard the king muttered, “I could have married you, some years ago.”

As that would not have suited Trempwick’s plans, let alone her own, Eleanor very much doubted it. Painfully aware of whose place she was occupying, this reached a new high of disturbing.

The ends of several strands of hair splintered free in his fingers; Malcolm the elder brushed them on the floor and kept on worrying away. “Demark was judged more use. You will not have met my wife?”

Eleanor confirmed with a shake of the head.

“One wishes the same could be said of oneself. Ingleberd has the figure of a spear shaft, mated with the hips of a starved cow. Her face may be tolerable, but her voice is a high, nasal whine which cuts right through a man.” He shivered, the trembling of his flowing hair and beard making the motion seem far larger than it was. “With hindsight I fear I may have done better to go English.”

Malcolm the younger snorted. “Thing about hindsight, old man, is that it applies to the past. The done. The undoable. You chose her; you’re stuck with her. So enjoy. Or better yet, don’t – makes my position so much more secure.” Standing, he held out his hand to Eleanor. “I’m sick of this sitting about; I’m going to dance. Something decently modern too, not all this carole crap. Coming?”

Ye gods, what a bounty of wonders she had to choose from, between father and son! Since the son’s open antagonism was less disconcerting than the father’s … whatever it was, Eleanor chose him.

Hand clamped about hers Malcolm all but dragged her down to the floor of the hall, shouting, “Music! We wish a dance, and make sure it’s something decent.”

The court fairly tripped over itself in its hurry to oblige.

The dragging didn’t stop when the music started; Eleanor found herself tugged, flung, yanked and hauled through the opening steps of one of the new dances designed for couples. To observers they surely looked like a good pairing, going at it with youthful energy; it was either than or be sent spinning out of control to crash into one of the other couples.

The boy took advantage of one of the parts where he had to hold her close to say quietly, “Some advice from the devil, if you’ve the wit to heed it. There’s three sides here. Your half-brother’s. Yours. Trempwick’s.” Bounced away to arm’s length and spun through a slow circle Eleanor had to wait to hear the rest. “He’s a merchant’s heart, not a king’s. He’ll sell where there’s the best profit, and he’s a bloody craven.”

“You are telling me this because …?”

Malcolm’s grip tightened on her fingers, crunching them together into a painful bundle. “I’ve a damned sight better understanding of being a king and what it means than that old man, and of honour – real honour, not the bloody game usually called that. Let some bastard on your throne and it devalues my own. Let some grasping turd make off with royalty and it might happen to me and mine.” They separated for a few steps. He brought her back close with a savage yank. “I won’t have that.” As they launched into a series of rapid sidesteps the boy said, louder than the rest, loud enough for others to hear, “We’re family, cousin, by rank and through my sister. I look after my own. Always. A slight to you is one to me, and I don’t sit idly by when I’m slighted.”

When the dance called for it he dumped her on a new partner and took off with one of his own.

Three partners later the dance was over. It was either join the next one or return to the dais and the king; Eleanor caught her breath and grabbed the first nobleman to hand.

A couple more dances and Eleanor let the next one pass without her involvement, seeking a drink as a reason to avoid returning to the King of Scots. Thank heaven it appeared to be beneath his dignity to come down and mingle with ordinary mortals, unlike her beloved regal ancestor or Hugh.

Thinking it unsafe to linger at the sidelines, Eleanor rejoined the fray. She ended up passed on to Malcolm as the final partner of that dance, meaning she had to start the next one with him.

It was during the second dance that Eleanor found herself passed on to a most unexpected partner.

“You have no idea,” Fulk murmured, “how much planning this took, so it looks like coincidence.”

“Well done, crook-nose.”

They’d never partnered each other, thanks to the gulf in their status. It was enjoyable, in the way many things were if only you added a certain knight, even if it was short and unsafe to repeat.

The evening wore on. Eleanor grew sufficiently weary that she departed the floor in search of another means to avoid the king. She found it in a small group of nobles speaking with enthusiasm about the coming tournament. A few careful questions and a lot of listening won her a fair bit of information on what Fulk was likely to face.

Then one of the men pointed off to one of the alcoves. “Isn’t that your knight?”

It was, and he was in a fight. Over Godit. The bushy-faced hulk of a Scot Fulk faced drew his eating knife, shoving Anne’s maid away behind him and snarling something. Fulk drew his own knife, leaning away from the man’s first thrust. He parried the second, stepped away from the third, making no effort to counterattack.

Heart in her mouth, Eleanor locked her knees so she couldn’t run towards the group and locked her face so nothing would show.

A pair of royal guardsmen got there quickly, drawing swords and ordering the two men apart. Fulk obeyed immediately, replacing his knife in its sheath. The Scot was more reluctant; he was loud enough now the background noise had reduced she heard his indignant words, “That bastard’s meddling where he’s got no business! He’s impugned my honour.” A gentle prod from a sword tip persuaded him that whatever Fulk had done it didn’t actually necessitate killing him on the spot; the knife was put away.

“No business?” Fulk crossed his arms. “It’s any decent man’s business when another sets on a woman-”

“We’re practically betrothed,” roared the Scot.

“But not actually. So you’ve no right.”

Godit had crept around to shelter behind Fulk. “I won’t marry you, Angus! Never. I’ve told you that before. It’s none of your business what I do. And don’t get fool ideas – I’m under my mistress’ protection.”

Behind the fuzz of beard Angus went bright red. “And I wouldn’t have you! Not now. I want a wife I can trust.”

From the dais the king’s voice commanded, “Put him out. No one breaks my peace, and no one attacks one of my guests.”

Things returned to normal as the Scot was escorted from the hall.

It was late by the time Eleanor and her party returned to her rooms. In the solar, before they had had time to do much more than close the door, Hawise said to Fulk, “Waltheof knows a lot about the men likely to take part in the tournament. You should talk to him.”

Waltheof, one of the recently recruited young knights, and likely the same grave-faced man Eleanor had noticed Hawise in rapt conversation with several times during the evening.

Fulk nodded, a lot. “I will.”

Eleanor reached up and seized his ear between finger and thumb. She started to tow him towards her room. “If everyone else is finished playing with my knight, I should like a turn.” Playing with, trying to kill – whichever.

She didn’t get a chance to say a word – half a word! – due to the tiny little fact that as soon as they were alone she found herself crushed in his arms and being kissed with no small amount of enthusiasm. Which was nice, but not quite what she’d had in mind. Not just what she’d had in mind. He’d been drinking hippocras with a bit too much nutmeg for her liking; she could taste it. One of his hands crept up and removed her crown, sending it skimming onto the bed.

When there was opportunity for words he pinched it, starting to speak while she was still trying to recover. “I’ve been wanting to do that for hours. Loved your juggling, by the way.”

“Oh. Um …” Her musings on the best way to politely demand to know what the hell he had been doing with that Godit creature were trampled underfoot by more enthusiasm on his part.

Some time later he saw fit to pronounce, “I’ve missed you.”

“I would never have guessed.” Eleanor relented a little. “I missed you as well.”

He kissed her again, briefly. “It’d probably be chivalrous to warn you I’ve had a bit too much to drink and I’ve been sleeping alone for rather too long, and I’m still your smitten worshiper. So if you want to be rid of me any time soon, your best chance is five minutes ago.”

Eleanor sighed; some knights should probably not be allowed holidays, for the good of humanity. “How much did you have to drink?”

“Oh, not enough that you need worry. I can still use my sword.” For some reason he found this hilarious. He stopped laughing to smooth away her frown with a thumb. “Slightly too much. I just get very genial and friendly and a bit silly, but if I have a lot too much you can tell because I start falling over and singing. I did miss you.” Which served as an excuse for further enthusiasm.

With an expression that belonged on a puppy begging for scraps he said, “Can I stay? Please? Oh outstandingly majestic and highly kissable one?”

She was obviously going to get no sense out of him while he was like this. If she refused him he might go looking for someone else; heaven knew there was no shortage of interested parties, and he’d just spend the entire evening amidst that interest. Besides, he was her husband and he was not asking for anything she had a good reason to refuse.

A feeling of resignation settling in the pit of her stomach Eleanor pulled her braid over her shoulder and started to untie the ribbon.

He’d dozed for a bit; it couldn’t have been long, as the night candle was still more than half intact. The fug of wine was clearing from his head, along with the feeling half his wits had been stolen. The frustration, however, remained, so Fulk didn’t get back to sleep. He knew Eleanor was awake and equally unhappy; he doubted she’d gone to sleep at all.

She had been … dutiful. After dragging him in by his ear and making that comment about playing with him, and responding to his embrace and kisses, she’d gone dutiful. He clenched his teeth remembering it; so much for slowly winning her around. She had refused to part with her shift, as usual, so it got in the way, as usual. The things she normally liked had no effect, simply because she seemed set on having a miserable time. New tricks either met with stoical endurance or protests that they were annoying or not to her liking in some vague way, then finally the terse statement that she had liked what he did before well enough – the same damned things which were having no effect - and he could stick to that for now. Much as he’d yearned for a repeat of their mutually satisfactory encounter from that night he’d accidentally seen her back, he’d have given up entirely except for the strong suspicion she would have taken it as a sign he didn’t truly find her desirable. Afterwards he’d had the feeling she wanted him gone, but when he’d made to sit up she’d turned clingy, so he’d settled back down with his arm around her. This, at least, had turned out to be acceptable.

Fulk had no idea how long they lay there in the near-dark, motionless and wordless.

He’d a message to pass on to her. Except now wasn’t a good time; mention of Godit would be as much an intrusion as mention of Trempwick. In the morning, when they were up and about, he’d pass along her warning about the King of Scots being the dangerous one here, for all he didn’t look it. Fulk didn’t see it himself; it might mean more to Eleanor, and if it raised her guard then it could do no harm even if it were false aid.

Thinking about the message set Fulk thinking about the events which had led to it, cursing. He knew he’d been in demand all evening because of his fleeting fame, his treatment as an almost-equal and hero dependant on that fame and lasting only so long as it did. It had punched right through to the part of his heart which longed to be more than a baseborn bastard nothing, made more alluring precisely because it was temporary. There was a hangover from the boy he’d been that he hadn’t managed to purge. So he’d found himself playing a game, trying to identify people he didn’t know well enough, trapped an at the mercy of a gaggle of over-exited females and jealous men, until Godit threw the game and saved him. Hence the lordling her family had marked out for her having a jealous fit and attacking her when he’d no right to. Hence his rescuing her, that and an inability to do nothing when he knew that here and now he could act, that he did not have to turn his eyes away and let it pass. Eleanor would understand, she had to; she knew what it was to wish for someone to protect her. And so Godit had given him the message, as a brand of thanks which acknowledged the tie to Eleanor she deplored but knew he valued. That gave it considerable worth.

Yay! A frog-sized episode!

I have but one thing to say on the matter of stock takes: GAH!!

Dead William: I remain impressed :)

Phargle: Thank you. I’m blushing. :)

I think we need some sort of Malcolm event now. Hmm …

Avernite: But everyone knows the heroine has to end up with her true love, which Fulk absolutely has to be because he is handsome and loves her!! It’s practically the law!! To do otherwise would be different!! Non-clichéd!! Surprising!! Why, you practically accuse me of being unpredictable!!!!! :eek:

Bigdan: That king has very big sleeves, owing to the fact big sleeves use more material, thus costing more, thus making him look richer. Installing special pockets to store tricks in would cost extra, and so he probably has done so.

Igaworker: Well, speaking from a personal point of view, one might hope he sent Malcolm sprawling in the dust with a broken nose and a few very good bruises. Might knock a bit of calm into the brat.

Coz1: Ah, but people on the winning side could die, and losers survive. History is a remarkably untidy thing. :D

I am weally weally sowwy, pwease do not huwt me! I will nevew evew claim you to be unpwedictable again! Pwease? :(

Anyway, young Malcolm has a good grasp of politics, it seems, and the will to do something. The 'old' man is, I think, much more carefull and unpredictable, thus indeed more dangerous.

eggy sized, indeed! And a wonderful court scene. I do believe Malcolm and Jocy would make quite a pair in assisting Fulk against Trempy. But you keep me wondering where everyone will end up.

And the scenes between Fulk and Nell - still a little uncomfortable. When will they ever be able to simply just be together without all the worries? I do hope at some point soon. But if that happens, it probably means we are nearing the end and that is sad unto itself.

A sleepy-eyed Fulk picked at his morning bread, balling up little lumps of the soft inside and dropping them onto the table.

Setting a good example with her own breakfast, Eleanor advised him, “I would not worry.”

With exquisite care he balanced his latest ball on top of several others. The squat tower collapsed as soon as he withdrew his hand, foundation balls rolling away and leaving the raised one to tumble down. “Wouldn’t worry?” he repeated sceptically.

“Certainly not.” Eleanor received her drink from Hawise, and sipped at it. “This King of Scots is playing at being great, as he has been doing since the beginning. Midnight announcements of a hunt for a white stag the next day are quite normal, for those obsessed with showing off and lording it and with an important guest to entertain.” It had been a scramble, but everyone had been in their proper place in reasonable time for the messenger to deliver the invitation to the hunt into her hands. The slight delay would easily pass as the time taken for her to make herself decent. Thank the saints for the antechamber, and the pair of trusted guardsmen always on duty there; without that Hawise would have been left to answer the door, or to fetch Fulk out, either as damning as the other.

“And by coincidence-”

“Yes. By coincidence. Which means nothing.” Nonetheless, he would now be staying firmly outside her door. A bread missile shaped by Eleanor’s own fair hand bounced off the front of Fulk’s tunic. It was childish, maybe, but so damned tempting. He was sober, he was awake, and she had waited more than long enough. “Anyway, after the way you all but announced an interest in Godit last night no one could be fool enough to think you might care for – or be cared for – anyone else who was present.” Her second attempt was hasty, the bread so misshapen it didn’t fly true. It did cling to his hair with a nice comical effect.

“Eleanor-” His words cut off as a piece of bread bounced off the end of his nose. Knocking the spent missile away, he said with strained humour, “I feel like a castle under siege.”

An illusion Eleanor was happy to aid. Her next lump was far larger.

He’d just got rid of that bit when another hit. That one disappeared inside his fist, crushed. “Do that again and you’ll regret it.”

Eleanor arced an eyebrow; he was grumpy this morning. She hefted her crust, and lobbed it. “I do think not.”

The previous bit of bread fell onto the table, imprinted into a cast of the space inside his fist. He started to get up, mouth opening, only to catch sight of Hawise fervently trying to be invisible and not notice a thing. He sat back down again.

Eleanor smiled at him, very nicely. And chucked the other half of her crust at him.

She knew he was fast, but that fast in application to herself combined with a flat start and no warning was not something Eleanor had considered. It was, she concluded, as he shot around to her side of the table and picked her up, a slight tactical error on her part, as was overestimating the protection Hawise’s presence offered. One knightly hand snared in the collar of her clothes and a knightly arm fastened firmly about her waist, Eleanor found herself hauled up off her seat and travelling towards her bedchamber before she could do much more than kick at thin air and order him to put her down.

“I wouldn’t make too much noise,” he told her with unmissable smugness. “Else you’ll have the other guards in, and then think of the trouble trying to explain.”

Tactical error number three. Eleanor constrained herself to a loud whisper, “Put me down, you complete and utter bastard!” Lashing out backwards with her heels she managed to catch him a few glancing blows but nothing useful. As she was ported to the door and twisted about so Fulk could depress the latch handle with his elbow, Eleanor caught sight of Hawise, heroically attempting her mistress’ rescue by … doing nothing. “Some help you are!”

Hawise said, “Looks like a private quarrel to me. I’ll try and keep you from being disturbed.”

Still sputtering at that, Eleanor was carted into the room and dropped back to her feet.

Fulk leaned his back on the closed door and folded his arms. “There’s definite advantages to a knight’s training, and being able to carry a princess with ease is one.”

“Carry off, more like!”

“That too.”

“You …!” Eleanor aimed a punch at a delicate part of his anatomy. Fast as she was, he’d been expecting it, so she got nowhere near. The hefty stomp on his foot, now that he hadn’t expected; as his toes flattened, Fulk winced.

“Used to be I thought God had made you so delicate-looking on a whim. Now I know it was to stop me harming you!” His voice was hard.

“I am not delicate!” Eleanor shouted as loud as she dared, which was not very. She leaned as much of her weight as possible on the foot trapping his, relying on his hold on her arm to keep her balance.

Fulk wriggled his trapped boot about, trying to free it. “Now, what’s that proverb? The one about sheep, hanging, and stealing?”

“What!?”

“Never mind; it’ll come.” When his quieter efforts to free his crushed foot didn’t work, he took hold of her and lifted her up enough that she could no longer apply much force. Rescue completed, he let her weight fall back and let her go.

A favour she returned by trying to slap him. She counted it a minor victory her fingertips managed to brush his cheek when he blocked; he’d had too much warning. “What in hell do you think you are doing?” she demanded.

“The other proverb I do remember. The one about so many stones breaking a man’s back.”

“Lady’s back,” she corrected in a growl. “Most definitely lady’s.”

He growled back, “You act like a spoiled child.”

“Because I do not turn a blind eye to your hounding after that slut? Again?”

“No! And I wasn’t hounding her.”

Eleanor whipped her arm downwards, twisting it in his grip. It came free easily enough. “You all but announced you have an interest in her, before everybody.”

“I saved her from a lout who picked a quarrel because she had the decency to help me. No more.”

“That is not what people will think.”

“Does it matter?”

“Of course it matters,” she cried.

“As it matters to me what people think of you. You know how opinion goes at present.”

“So you are trying to balance the score a little-”

“Don’t be foolish,” he snapped. He’d been glaring at her for a long time, watching her every move. Now the glare softened into a stare. “What a mess secrecy does make of us. Without it there’d be none of this. And you’re not cringing.” This last he observed with a miniscule raising of the corner of his mouth.

Thrown out of her stride, all Eleanor could do was gawk, “What?”

“You’re not cringing. You’re fighting.”

“Your brain is addled,” she informed him tartly. “And mine shall become so, if I try and make any sense of you.”

His smile was creeping wider. “Ah, yes; I remember that proverb now. ‘If you’re going to hang for a sheep, you may as well take the whole flock.’ I’ve stolen my sheep.”

“I am not a sheep, damn you!”

“Oh no. You’ve got fangs, to be sure.” Grinning, now, he was - grinning. “I believe I said some rather rash but heartfelt words about not throwing that bread at me.”

His mind was gone. That had to be it. The strain of rational thought had unhinged him. Eleanor began to creep away, one tiny part-step at a time, a certain feeling of foreboding building.

“Stone that breaks the man’s back. Funny how it’d be bread of all things, after potentially life-endangering disobedience and sleeping drugs.”

“You are beginning to worry me.”

Fulk crooked a finger. “Come here, oh gooseberry mine.” He started to advance, at the same slow pace. He made it seem ominous.

In what she hoped was a soothing voice Eleanor said, “Now, take a nice deep breath and try to stop thinking complex thoughts …”

“If you’ll fight me and forgive me after my bit of sheep-stealing – sorry, princess-stealing – then I imagine you’ll forgive a bit of justice. So long as it’s that.”

“Obviously all these years of helmet-wearing have taken their toll-”

“You never dared fight back against them, did you? Because you couldn’t trust them to be reasonable.”

“Er …” A wall, there was always a wall to back into eventually, and Eleanor’s back informed her she’d just found it.

“Whereas me, you argue, you struggle, you fight. Because you know you can. You know it’s safe.”

“Er …” Believed might be a more apt word, given the doubts she was having.

“Which it is. Because, unlike some, I’ve a very vested interest in your well-being, a kindly soul, a placid nature.” He halted, an arm’s length away. Smirking. “Also a certain duty-”

“Oh, bugger!” Eleanor made a dive for it.

Fulk stepped sideways and caught her, wrapping his arms around her in a friendly hug. A secure friendly hug. “And rather than hating or fearing me, it appears the worst that will happen is that I end up a mite bashed myself, which I can tolerate.”

“No,” Eleanor insisted loudly, trying to wriggle and not even managing that. “I shall hate you. A lot. For a very long time.” Even she didn’t believe it, but given the short notice and circumstances finding better reasons was not easy. There wasn’t much defence against ignoring his warning in the certainty he wouldn’t actually do anything. For good measure she added, “You will have to buy me some very expensive presents before I even speak to you!”

“No, or you’d have done so the moment I picked you up. Too late, oh disinclined one.”

Hawise tapped on the door. “If you have finished trying to murder each other, the hunt is beginning to form up.”

Saved!

Eleanor’s premature sigh of relief turned into a squeak when Fulk’s hand introduced itself to her rear with less gentleness than was customary.

“No more bread throwing, dearest, if you please.” He let her go.

Grumbling and rubbing her affronted backside, more for possible effect on his conscience and hope of sympathy than any actual hurt, Eleanor scowled at him. “Next time I shall hurl the soup.”

He laughed. “There wasn’t any, ‘loved.”

“Oh, so now I am not worth the effort of ‘beloved’, and must make do with an abbreviation.”

“I happen to like my creativity, ‘loved.” He advanced a tentative step. “Am I forgiven?”

“I suppose so,” she allowed grudgingly, grudging more the admission than the lack of ill-feeling. As expected he took this as a hint that a kiss might be acceptable. Eleanor looped an arm around his neck to pull him close, waited a few moments, then struck. Holding some important objects in one hand she had his full attention, reinforced by a light squeeze. He froze. He slowly drew his head back. He didn’t move any other muscles, not even a twitch.

Sweetly, Eleanor said, “But no more Godit incidents, if you please, my luflych little knight.”

Trempwick spurred his horse along the line, armour shining in the weak light of the early spring morning. As he passed men raised their weapons, or clashed them on their shields, or shouted, “A Trempwick!” or “The Queen!”. Now and then he raised his hand in acknowledgement.

He drew rein at what he felt was the middle of his centre.

It began.

Trempwick raised his arms. The noise died away. “This morning,” he shouted, his words slow and clear so they would carry as far as possible, “I rose from my empty bed. I dressed in my empty tent. I ate my breakfast alone. I said my prayers, alone. I had no farewell. No one prays for me. No one waits for me.”

He paused. Heard the babble of his own words being repeated. Many voices, throughout the army. The petty command, handing his speech on. Simple words. Simple ideas. Simple concepts. Simple, for simple people. Human … hounds. Not cattle, these. They had teeth. Simple to inspire. Inspired, they would stand. Standing, they would win. Victorious, they were useful. The nobles did not need inspiring. That had been done last night with much made of the Queen and the future she offered. Separate tastes, separate needs, seen to accordingly.

Filled his lungs with the frosty air. “I will return to that empty tent. Eat alone. Sleep alone. No one will be glad to see me. No one will celebrate my return. My squire will tend my wounds. Why?” He bellowed the question with all he had. Paused. Waited for the inevitable.

It came. An anonymous voice. So predictable. “Because you need a good whore!”

A grin would not carry. So he laughed. Because it was what they wanted. Soldiers. Scum. Simple minds. Simple pleasures. As if he would stoop to a whore. As if that would be a sound idea given his position.

His horse sidled, fidgeted. A destrier, one of his several waiting to be used this day. High-strung, eager, knowing what came in its animal way. Like these men. Shouted, “Why am I here, when I could be warm at home, seeing to my affairs and thinking of what celebrations to hold for Easter?” Pause. “Because my home is an empty.” Pause. “I am a husband without a wife.” Lower, more ragged tone, “And you know why.” So much truth in it. The space Nell had left, had occupied for so long … And he missed Elgiva, the total relaxation he had with her.

Men began to shout again, a muddled, disorganised din. Aimed against the Bastard. He let it go on for a time.

Trempwick held up his hands again. Noise faded. “I would storm the gates of heaven itself to get her back. Her, not her crown nor anything else. Just her.” Romantics always fell well. Simple minds, simple lusts, and a simple longing to believe their betters had more. “I press her rights, yes – what good husband wouldn’t? But let me tell you this, it would take a colder man than me to think of crowns when with his love.” This won the expected laughter.

Time given for the carrying back of his words to finish. “Today we do not storm heaven. Today we are the wall. Today we break them.” A touch to his stallion moved him a quarter-turn to the left. Trempwick flung out an arm to indicate the opposing force. A snake of sun reflections on metal. Of coloured liveries and clothes, mixed into a chaos. Of fluttering standards, banners, pennants. His scouts’ tally ran to three thousand; midlanders, some of the bastard’s close cronies, mercenaries, Marcher lords. More than the force he held here, a mere two thousand and not quite three hundred. “There is half the army the Bastard raised to deal with the west. They want to join up with the other half, some hundred-and-ten miles from here. We are in their way. I have put us in their way. They must go through us. Because the other part of our force is behind them, blocking their retreat. So they must come at us swift and carve their way through, or die. Or die minced between two forces, trapped. So all we must do is stand. Stand, and we win. Our reinforcements will be here before noon. Stand and hold them so long, and we win and they will be nothing but fragments scattered on the wind. Stand, and we strike a telling blow for our queen. Stand, and there will be an army’s worth of loot and ransoms; you will be rich men.”

Which always proved popular. Trempwick rode back to his chosen place to the sound of cheers.

A few hours in the saddle, ambling along at a relaxed pace near the front of the cavalcade which formed the hunt for the white stag, and Eleanor had to admit she was enjoying herself.

The day was clear, the sun out, the air blessed with a gentle chill, a few birds tentatively chirped in the bare trees – spring was here. If the sun hung too low and got in everyone’s eyes unless they kept their backs to it, and if the threat of intermittent and violent rain squalls overhung the day, well, it seemed a fair enough trade.

The whole court had turned out, almost, dressed in colourful finery sufficiently hardly to survive the day, mounted on a herd of fine horseflesh the cost of which could have financed a small war. No one had brought serious weaponry; there was no point in killing if the meat could not be eaten. The hunt was more an excuse to ramble about the countryside, following a trail laid down by the king’s huntsmen. Judging from the way the dogs shot about, and from the few times they had turned and doubled back, the trail was a complex one.

Eleanor ran a cautious knuckle over the soft feathers covering the belly of her falcon. The bird was still hooded; given their mutual unfamiliarity and her lack of handling practice, it had seemed prudent to limit the chance of them embarrassing each other. Armida was loaned from Hugh – along with the four hounds who padded along ahead of her, on leash and held a pair each by two handlers, the falconer himself, and much else – or perhaps more accurately from Constance, since the bird was a merlin, as was correct for a lady of rank, to cover for her own lack on occasions such as this. Eleanor was less happy about the name bestowed on the bird; Armida, Latin for ‘Little armed one’. True, yes, but ugly, and she didn’t like the reminder of that wicked beak and its threat to her fingers.

Riding along at Eleanor’s side with her own hawk resting on her gloved fist, Anne giggled. “She won’t bite, you know. Not while the hood is on.”

Eleanor tilted her head very slightly towards the king and his son, where they rode some twenty or more paces in front. “I wonder if the same could be said …?” Anne’s father had swapped his crown for a caped hood, to protect his long hair and beard. It was prevented from blowing back by a jewelled circlet.

“Ah. Probably no.” Anne fished a bit of meat out of the special pouch she wore and fed it to her bird; it was unhooded, watching the passing world through bright eyes. Smoothing the feathers ruffled by the bird’s stretching for the treat, Anne said quietly, “It is not easy, you know. Being of two families. If William were still here it would be easier; my first loyalty would have to be to him and his, and I would not be here anyway. But he is not.”

“I thought you wished to return to England.”

“I do.”

“And so there lies your answer, it seems to me.”

“I like you. I like Constance, and I like Hugh, and I liked England, and Waltham, and everything. I want to see Constance’s baby, and Hugh’s coronation, and Constance’s coronation, and peace, and summer, and the lands William left me, and your lands, and all the rest of England, and Normandy, and Brittany, and the other French lands, and Westminster again, and I want to see you settled and happy, and to see William again in whatever way I must even if it is just his funeral.” The girl’s rush ended, most like because she had insufficient wind for more. Eying her saddlebow, Anne admitted, “And I want justice for Trempwick. For Mariot, and William, and you, and everything else.”

“So no small list, then,” Eleanor said dryly.

Laughing, Anne asked, “Well, is yours any smaller?”

“That … is a good question.” Armida shuffled along Eleanor’s wrist, moving blindly towards her closed fist; she tried not to wince at the thought of those razor sharp talons and the single layer of thick leather which kept them off her skin. Hoping it would quiet the bird before it shuffled sufficiently far to drop off – surely the feathered bag had more sense than that? - Eleanor set about stroking it again.

“This tournament. You need not worry about Malcolm; he would not farm out his revenge, because then he would not enjoy it as much. Like when he executed the Dunning brothers.” Anne nudged her placid palfrey in closer to Eleanor’s. “I heard quite a lot about last night, from Malcolm. They did not let me go, you know, even though I wanted to and should have - they made me eat with grandmother in her rooms. He said that you had said …” From the way the girl turned pink Eleanor could guess precisely which bit of polite conversation she referred to. “Well, you know how he puts these things, and makes it all sound so horrible, and is so crude and nasty about it, and he was going on about it quite a lot really. He is so horrible! Grandmother tried to shut him up but he just started shouting and getting cruder.” Anne seemed to realise she was veering off on a tangent; she took a breath and the blush began to fade. “Well, anyway, they will make you prove it, now you have said it like that. They will, even though it is dishonourable and insulting, and the last thing they should ask of you. Not publicly, or anything,” Anne added quickly. “Just for them.”

This was beginning to sound faintly obscene, thanks to Anne’s poor choice of words. “They kept quoting Trempwick’s ‘proof’ at me. I had to counter. Little as I like it. I had hoped decency would keep them from asking for more. After all, they have not seen Trempwick’s either.”

Anne frowned, chewing her lip. “They are my family, and this is my country. Was my country. I hardly know any more which, likely both. But … well, I was Queen of England, and I was supposed to help bring peace between the two kingdoms – that was the whole point of the marriage, after all. And I do not like this. Malcolm is evil and my father is letting a lifetime of bitterness go to his head – he is normally a good man, I swear it.”

Acquainted with others in Anne’s company of good men, Eleanor felt a certain doubt as to whether this improved her opinion of the King of Scots any. It may in fact lower it.

“They will wring everything they can from you,” Anne said. “They will humiliate you, as much as they can. For years - for ever maybe - England has been bigger, richer, stronger, more powerful, more prestigious, with more and better lands, more men, more resources than we can ever hope for. We have always had to be careful, even when we have won battles and wars we have not had enough of an upper hand to feel safe. Except now …”

Eleanor summarised, “Now we have Hugh being Hugh, and Trempwick has firmly stuck his oar in the water.”

“Yes. Now they have the chance, they will make you and Hugh pay for everything, years and years of it, going back generations.”

“Then they may find themselves somewhat disappointed. Better to continue alone than to sell overmuch, and temporary disadvantages are only that.”

The centre held. The right flank slowly advanced. Too much! It may isolate itself. Trempwick held up a hand and one of his gallopers came to his side. “Tell Sir Geoffrey to hold his position. He advances too far.”

The rider already had his horse turning and moving away as he confirmed, “Lordship.”

The left held.

The land found for this battle was not of good value. The hill was small, more a gentle slope. No waters or land formations protected his force or provided anchoring points. But no trees interfered, no bogs, no quagmires, nothing to hamper his cavalry. Or the enemy cavalry. The small slope was sufficient to give his men the ease of the fighting. To allow his archers to see as they loosed over the heads of the infantry wall. To allow him to see over all, from his position with the reserve. Waiting. Commanding. Waiting.

Some held it that a general should lead from the front. Others, that he should hang back. Both could work, depending on skills, situations, lieutenants. But there was this, and Trempwick had always minded it well: when the general fell the battle was lost. So, sometimes, were entire wars lost.

The kneeling man spoke … and it made no sense. To call it gibberish Hugh knew to be unfair, though to his ears German may as well be precisely that. What he held no reservations about was the deliberateness of it, and thus the rudeness. The presumption that here, in this meeting, that tongue belonged to the superior and should be spoken by all of sufficient education!

Leashing his displeasure, Hugh answered in Anglo-French. “I am anxious to hear why my sister thought to send over a thousand men in arms to my kingdom.” He must tread with care despite provocation; an army of vengeful Germans ravaging Dover was the least of his present needs.

“Sire,” the man bowed again, “Her most magnificent Highness, The Empress, sends her regards to her brother of England-”

Hugh held up his hand. “I care only to hear why you are here, with these men under arms on my lands, unasked for, with no warning. I wish to know why I needed to lift the siege I was conducting and rush my army here, to guard my port from men who reason says should be friendly but appearances say clearly otherwise.”

“Sire.” The German bobbed again, and offered a sealed letter.

The letter proved to be from Matilda herself, dictated to a clerk with lavish handwriting and signed with her own hand. On reading it, it was all Hugh could do to prevent himself crumpling it in his fist and hurling it onto the brazier. Damn her arrogance! To be spoken to – dictated to! – in such terms! By his sister! A sister who had no place, no part in his realm and had held none for a decade and a half! A sister, he added blackly, who could not even manage a son, where he himself, whatever his other lacks, had managed. To be treated a beggar grovelling for scraps from the mighty, to claw back the hold he had bungled on his inheritance!

Through clenched teeth he said, “I asked her for nothing.”

“Sire, the Empress heard of your need, and sought to fill it. These men are paid from her own treasury, and many sworn to her service.”

“Is she so sure of our father’s death? Still word here is confused, with no proof either way.”

“Sire, before she began to raise troops the Empress declared her lord father must be dead. Else she would not have sent them you, but instead gifted them to him.”

“Does she have proof?” How could Matilda have proof when none here did? She could not, most assuredly.

“Sire, the Empress said it.”

The implication, therefore, that it was true, on that sole basis and with no judgement. By the cross, what conceit! And she dared bid him to take Eleanor firmly in hand and restore her to the righteous path, cull her pride and break her wilfulness! Hugh found himself most solidly in the belief that someone needed to do much the same with his sister the Empress, and with far sterner hand.

He needed the men. The most tragic, the most abjectly shaming aspect of this entire affair was that. He could not reject them. He had prayed morning, noon and night for aid in his plight, and here it had come. In its coming it humbled him, and demanded further abasing of his pride. Pride, which was a sin, and so to be hunted down and cleansed.

Except there was a thought which tickled at his mind, over and over and harder with the passing days. To be a king, how could a king be humble? Another of the unending parade of paradoxes, as if he did not have his fill of them already, a torment, a plague, a pestilence of them.

“I accept my sister’s kind offer of help.” He did not accept, however, the yoke she attempted to place on his shoulders. England’s links with the Empire would remain as they were, as they would find when his hold was steadied and they sought to utilise him to some end. Fight they would, on his terms. Foreigners, brought here to fight under his banner against his native people; to oppress and cast them down, to grow rich on their stolen chattels and ruin the honour of the women, it would be said.

No. Foreigners, brought here to fight under his banner, and die so his native men did not. They could have the danger, along with the mercenaries he had contracted. Then, at the end, his army would remain as strong as could be, and it would be others who were depleted. Others he would have to pay, or who may be used against him.

God forgive him.

Killing. Wounding. Maiming. Blood. Noise. The press of bodies. The grunts of men struggling for their very lives. The crush of horses. The smell of offal and sweat and blood and excrement.

Trempwick smashed a helmet with his mace; blood sprayed from the eyeslots and vents, began to seep from under the rim. The man fell from his horse, a ransom lost to death. Trempwick was already sending his destrier on at the next.

The right had stalled, as asked. Then it had begun to struggle. Pressed back. The enemy gaining heart at what they saw as his men tiring. With new heart they surged back to the attack. And began to win.

Battle. A gamble. The ultimate gamble. Good generals avoided it whenever possible. There was no dishonour in avoiding battle, none. Only a few young hotheads with eyes full of gain from ransom, loot, ‘glory’ thought otherwise. They were few enough. Sieges and pillaging and the control of castles and land – this was the good general’s war. But sometimes there was no other choice. And sometimes battle was good. This time it was – he had shaped it to be so.

But so unpredictable! This was the danger.

Unpredicted: his right advancing. Ordered: the stall. Mostly expected: the pressing back. And so he countered, to take advantage.

His cavalry reserve had the enemy left flank from the side, his right flank had them from the front. His presence gave heart. The cavalry gave heart.

And the enemy were dying.

Fulk felt like singing; he confined himself to whistling softly instead, so others wouldn’t think him cracked in the head. They’d think him that if they knew why, too. It was a beautiful day, he was pleased to be on a hunt for the first time since France, and in a very good mood after his fight with Eleanor. It had cleared the air a deal and - better yet - been damnably enjoyable. It was impossible to put into words the sense of comfort that gave him, that they could argue seriously and come to blows and still end well. So many couldn’t, and fell apart because of it.

Blows; try as he might, Fulk couldn’t restrain a bright grin. Poor Eleanor, if she knew he found her attempts to harm him amusing she’d really try to do him an injury. It was like wrestling with a puppy, if a puppy had a very nice body and could posses that ‘I’m going to kill you!’ look he adored. Whatever she might insist, she didn’t really want to hurt him, else he’d find himself brained with a chamberpot or stabbed; Eleanor knew very well she didn’t have the strength to better any trained man in a fair … mostly fair fight. He might be trying to cure her of the bad habits her family had taught her, but this tendency he’d leave well alone.

Godit asked, “And what on earth’s the matter with you?”

Fulk landed back on earth with a thump, to find his companions on the spread of cloth that served as a picnic blanket were all staring at him. That meant five pairs of eyes: Eleanor, Anne, Hawise, Adele, Godit. “It’s spring,” he replied affably. “I’m happy.”

“Spring,” remarked Eleanor. “It goes to the heads of all male creatures, and makes them quite demented.”

Godit covered her mouth with a hand, giggling and trying to swallow her food at the same time. “Oh, I don’t know if head is quite the right word.”

A chorus of very feminine amusement followed.

Then the natural order re-established itself and rivalry between princess and queen’s maid resumed. Godit said, “Still, if he were not kept so closely stabled …”

“He is not closely stabled at all. He is free to roam at will, so long as it does my name no harm.” Eleanor turned to him, so open and innocent butter would have frozen in her mouth, not just forborne to melt. “Is that not right?”

The memory of her hand threatening to crush his manhood was fresh, if not totally unpleasant. “Yes. Perfectly,” Fulk lied.

Godit bit into a piece of dried fruit. “He probably already loves someone. Someone who can’t see his worth and doesn’t care. He should forget her and find someone better.”

“Really?” Eleanor’s eyebrows rose. She leaned across Hawise and patted Fulk’s hand. “Poor Fulk. You should tell me who, and I shall do what I can to see she takes a bit of notice.”

“Oh, I think I’ll wait a bit. Bide my time. Make myself more obvious. Win honours in the field. Wear brighter clothes. Get a catapult and demolish her house. The usual.”

Hawise said gravely, “You’re very patient.”

Fulk shrugged. “Well, I suppose I could pick up my damsel, carry her off, argue with her and beat her into submission, then ravish her.” He very carefully did not look in Eleanor’s direction at all. Pity there hadn’t been a bit more time this morning. He reached for an eel chewette, tossed it from the claiming right hand to his left and back again, to say with a flourish, “But have you any idea how embarrassing it is when you get started on that ravishing, only for her to say thanks but no thanks, as she prefers the squinty-eyed clerk who does the household accounts?”

This won him a nice round of laughter.

Godit indicated Hawise, herself and Adele with a gesture. “Well, here’s three you can kidnap at any time.”

“Not me,” protested Hawise at once. “He’s too silly. I couldn’t put up with it.”

“Nor me,” said Adele. “I’m betrothed and I like him, even if he does obediently trot off on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land with his father instead of staying here and marrying me. He had best bring me back some very good gifts.”

The bite Eleanor had raised to her lips lowered again. “Pilgrimage?”

And so the conversation turned safely away from him. Fulk ate his fill, and lay down on his back, one arm flung across his forehead to shade his eyes from the sun, listening with one ear to the chatter and watching through slitted eyes a certain lady in blue. She wasn’t wearing her crown today, which he liked.

His heart felt full to bursting. Such a simple thing, her not being afraid earlier, and yet it made the whole day seem much brighter. Always she’d cowered before, no matter how careful he’d been. Typical Eleanor that she’d finally overcome ingrained habit when he’d been more angry then before, all previous grudges and unhealed wounds boiling together with a hangover, a bad night and a very bad scare. And to the great ease of his mind, she was taking his playful smack very well.

The rest of the hunt was scattered about the grass on similar blankets, grouped by friendship rather than rank. The servants, having done their part in setting up the individual dining parties, had withdrawn to eat their own meal. The beast handlers had gone to a separate edge, like to like, with dog handlers in one place, falconers in another, grooms again slightly separate.

When Eleanor finished eating she moved to the perch where her borrowed merlin rested, picking up the falconer’s gauntlet and drawing it on. Taking the jesses in her gloved fingers she encouraged the bird to transfer onto her fist and came to sit by Fulk’s head. “This,” she said companionably, at a normal pitch so others could overhear, “is Armida.” Armida sat there as if she didn’t care two dead mice for introductions to minor barons, no matter how beloved.

Fulk moved his arm back a bit and opened his eyes properly. “Very nice. Suitably snooty for a royal bird.” Nice? The bird was as lovely as its perch!

“I have an impression you know something about hawks.”

“A bit.” Fulk sat up, combing his hair back into order with his fingers. “I had a hawk when I was a boy, like any legitimate son would have, and while I was with Aidney I’d the loan of a bird if he hawked or a set of spears if he hunted.”

“Good.” Eleanor dropped the bait pouch into his lap. “Because she should probably be fed at some point.” With a delicately exaggerated shiver she said, “I have visions of her falling off my fist in a faint.”

Fulk rubbed the bridge of his nose, smiling. “Simple enough; take her hood off, then offer a bit of meat. Easy.”

“I value my fingers.”

“Hold the food at the end, then let go as she takes the last bite.” He waited, and so did she. “Well, go on then,” he encouraged.

Pulling a face, Eleanor gingerly unlaced the hood and pulled it off. Armida blinked a few times and tossed her head, fluffed her feathers, and settled back down.

Chin minutely tucked in, eyes intent and on the bird, lips slightly apart Eleanor looked as if she expected it to explode into a shower of feathers.

Fulk unfastened the pouch and offered it to her. She took one of the little bits of dried meat with her bare hand, holding the very tip of the strip between the lowermost parts of her thumb and forefinger. Slowly she brought the bit around so it dangled above the merlin’s head and began to lower it.

Fulk found himself laughing; when the bird took its first bite the strip pulled free of Eleanor’s pathetic hold and hit it on the head, both falcon and princess squawking in surprise. Charitably he explained the obvious, “You have to hold it better.”

Her eyes flashed, bringing back pleasant memories of this morning. Picking the meat back up Eleanor looked set to cram it down the bird’s beak and damn the hazards. “Thank you, I think I may perhaps have noticed that.”

This time it all went smoothly, and by the third bit of meat she was as relaxed about it as the falcon. Running a finger over Armida’s feathers with a tenderness which made Fulk feel quite jealous, she said, “When I was, oh, ten, I begged Trempwick every day for more than a week for a hawk, I wanted one so badly. In the end he sat me down, told me that the creature would eat his messenger birds, and … encouraged me never to so much as consider asking again.” He heard the slight emphasis on ‘encouraged’ and tilted his head in askance. She explained, “I had been pestering him very badly, I suppose, looking back, and I definitely should have known better than to press after the first day’s first refusal.”

Fulk elected not to comment on her excusing Trempwick refusing her something she should have had by simple fact of birth. He choose to share his happy remembrances of his own bird, and tried not to feel that in this, as in so many other areas, his childhood had been far richer than hers. “I called mine Hector; he was only a goshawk, fitting to my place as a squire. Had him for years. My father taught me to fly him, instead of leaving it to the falconer. When I’d the knack of it we went out to hawk together at least once a week.”

A piercing shriek rang about the area, followed by another.

Fulk was on his feet, hand on his sword and searching for threats. “Stay down,” he commanded when Eleanor started to rise. She obeyed decently enough and transferred her hawk back to its perch unhooded, fastening its jesses to the woodwork so it could not escape. Now he felt justified in wearing his sword instead of a borrowed hunting knife.

Other men across the sprawling picnic had done as Fulk had, not as many as he’d expect or think warranted. Something was off here.

The source of the screams came into view, a young woman in bright green supported on either side by squires in the king’s livery. “The Black Knight has kidnapped my sister!” she wailed.

Fulk made a noise of complete disgust and sat back down. “A game.”

Anne said, “He likes to imitate the deeds of King Arthur and his court. Like this hunt for the White Stag. The Christmas before last I got to be kidnapped by a giant, which was fun.”

Fumbling her falcon’s hood back on, Eleanor commented, “Someone should tell him King Arthur was English.”

The call to the rescue had gone out, and the hunt was scrambling to its feet, men and ladies alike. Grooms rushed horses over to their owners, servants came in to tidy up and load the remains of the picnic onto the sumpter horses, and the maiden in green sobbed and shook in a convincing manner. There was no question of any lingering back; the chaos resolved into a hunt formed up as it had been before it stopped to eat.

The Black Knight’s camp was a convenient distance west, ten minutes ride at a walk. It had a nice black tent, a jolly campfire with a pot hanging over it, and a black warhorse hobbled and cropping at the scanty grass. A plain black shield hung from the branch of a tree, ready for challengers to strike it.

The hunt arranged itself in a crescent so everyone could see, the king and his foul son - and their pet screaming girl - at the centre and slightly forward.

Reining his horse about, the King of Scots addressed his court. “Who will challenge the Black Knight to rescue the fair and gentle lady Muriel?”

Fulk sighed, echoing Eleanor.

A clamour of names and volunteering shouts replied, so many and so muddled none could be understood.

Right on cue the Black Knight emerged from his tent, ‘dragging’ a fair young thing in white along behind him. He let her go a few paces out from the tent’s mouth, helmet bobbing as he snarled at her to stay put.

In an undertone Eleanor said, “If I were her I would run. Not tied or hampered in any way, and he would never catch up in full armour.”

Anne and Hawise giggled. Adele was scandalised. “But you are supposed to be rescued!”

The Black Knight was speaking again, voice raised and rumbling in an earnest effort to sound villainous. “One shall challenge me. One! I care not to waste all day on children. Defeat me and you may have her back, and my horse and arms as ransom. If I win then lady Muriel becomes my wife, and I shall take her away to my fortress.”

“Huh,” muttered Eleanor. “Sounds like a cheap wedding to me. Her family should be pleased; a landholder, rich, and not costing them a penny.”

“Then,” the King of Scots said loudly, “we must send the best of our company.”

Fulk rolled his eyes and sank down unobtrusively in his saddle. He had a bad feeling about this.

Prince Malcolm spurred his horse forward to cut before his father’s. “I will go.”

“No!”

“I can win! I know I will-”

“You are not a knight.”

The prince’s face screwed up; his grip on the reins vicious enough that his horse had to rear its head back to reduce the pressure on its mouth. “Then you go, old man, if you think you can do better. Go on – see if you can remember how to draw your bloody sword. Then see if you can’t manage not to bungle it.”

The only movement about the older Malcolm was his tunic, rippling in the light breeze. “The king does not fight.”

“Not this one, no.”

“Clear the way, Malcolm. Or we shall order you from our presence, to languish far from us until you recall your manners and come to plead for forgiveness.”

The boy leaned in close to his father. “I have my own household, my own lands, my own court, and believe me I wouldn’t be bloody languishing,” he growled. “But I’m not about to leave you to piss up my inheritance.” With that he wrenched his horse out of the way.

Fulk heard Anne comment softly to Eleanor, “He is never sent away. He always pushes just a tiny bit too little.”

One of the lords near the king spoke up, “Perhaps we should let our guest have the honour?”

As heads turned towards Fulk he tried to wish himself invisible.

The King was delighted. “Yes. A knight of whom we have heard very much, who has proven himself an honourable man and a great rescuer of beleaguered ladies.” A polite titter ran about the gathering. “Well? How does this suit?”

Fulk bowed in his saddle, knowing that he had been selected when this stupid game was set up. But why – that worried him. “Sire, you do me far to much honour. I’m not worthy. There are many here better than I.” With sudden inspiration he tried to turn the focus away from himself. “Let your son prove his valour.”

Briefly – oh so very briefly – Malcolm looked surprised. Then his face twisted into a sneer and he laughed his crudely raucous laugh … which might have had an edge of bitterness. “What damsel wants to be rescued by me?”

Fulk found himself being cheered for by most of the court, demanding he act as champion. They were following the King’s clearly expressed will. There was no way out. Slowly he dismounted, handing Tace’s reins to Hawise, trying all the while to see what the trap was. That depended on the King’s aim. He was completely unarmoured; his opponent was covered from head to toe in mail and wearing a full helm, not a single bit of skin showing. But if he were killed or wounded in this game it would discredit his hosts considerably. Then what? The damsel? They might try to marry him off to tie him to this court. He dearly hoped that was it; it’d be simpler and safer to slip from that snare.

A pair of swords and shields were brought out by the Black Knight’s page, real shields and wooden swords painted to look like metal. As the challenger Fulk was offered first choice; he examined the selection very closely, looking for signs they were otherwise than they should have been. Nothing; as far as he could tell they were all sound. He picked at random and moved to the clear patch of grass set aside for the duel.

Making practice cuts to warm up it occurred to Fulk that this might be nothing more than a chance for the Scots to see how he fought in earnest, outside of the training ground. What they learned they might use against him. Unlikely. All the same he resolved to mislead if he could.

The girl he was supposed to be rescuing came to give him her favour, a veil she wrapped several times about his bicep and tied on his shield arm.

The Black Knight took up a ready stance. “First contact wins. To battle!” he roared, snapping his shield up and speeding towards Fulk.

Shield held loosely out on front, Fulk paced quickly to meet him, sidestepping at the last to get into the large blind area made by the bucket-like helm. His backhand slice was already gathering as he began the dodge; it slapped the Black Knight on the back.

The court were so delayed in recognising that the brief fight was over that they only began cheering as the Black Knight cast down his sword and cursed vehemently.

Fulk prised the grateful prisoner off himself, returned her veil, and went to bow to the man who’d organised this. “Sire.”

“Excellent!” The king clapped his gloved hands in the same shower of sparkling reflections he managed the previous day in his regalia; the gloves were sewn with gold thread and set here and there with stones in imitation of rings. “Truly excellent. We have never seen the like. A man born of a most excellent father indeed.”

It had been a lousy match – the Black Knight had fought like a fool and been constrained by the game to arm to a disadvantage in foot combat. Anyone with a fraction of understanding could see it. “You are too kind, Sire.”

“We do grant you your prize with good heart, and do add to it this.” He raised a finger, and a page came forward with a bulging purse.

Fulk accepted the money and bowed again. “Thank you for your generosity, Sire.” A bribe? It was a heavy purse and added to the rest it made him considerably richer.

Dismissed Fulk thought it best to show a token interest in his other prizes. He grabbed a squire and made arrangements for the destrier and armour to be collected up and returned to the palace, the horse to be stabled with his and the armour to be given to Luke for inspection.

He rejoined Eleanor’s group, mounted up, and shortly after the hunt moved out, once more searching for the White Stag they would not find.

Eleanor dropped back to ride at his side instead of Anne’s. “Whatever we are hunting, it is not a stag, white or otherwise. I think he just won something.”

“Yes. But what?” Fulk asked, his words as soft as hers had been.

His work on the right flank had not taken long. As soon as it was stabilised he had pulled back. The reserve was a reserve. And he was the general. His infantry would do their job now; killing while holding a weakened foe.

His centre worried more. The line was thinning, growing weary. It had been bearing the brunt for too long. Half the infantry reserve had been sent in, some half hour(?) ago. They had shored it up, but they were too few to ensure its survival.

If the centre went, all went. The two flanks would be isolated and shredded.

Temptation: Take his cavalry and smash an enemy flank, so extra men could be committed to the centre. Too dangerous. If the reserve should be needed in the centre … If the left flank should press too far forward … If his men should break and pursue the routers …

He did not have the men. The smaller force must hold together. The line must hold. The formation must hold.

He could dismount and fight on foot with his bodyguard in the centre. Boost morale, add fresh bodies with the best training and equipment …

So he did. His banner flying over his head, his sword red in his hand, Mauger at his left shielding the lord he’d trained.

“Oh, God’s bones!” Jocelyn crawled back into his bunk on the ship, the stench of the pot and the vomit sloshing about in it still filling his nostrils. Filling the whole damned poky cabin, actually – bloody thing slid about scattering its foul perfume like an incense pot waved in a procession. The deck heaved, and so did his stomach. “Squall?” he raved, voice harsh from a raw throat and green belly. “Bloody storm, more like. Holy Jesù!”

From the corner where he huddled, Alain raised his pale face to look at his lord. “At least. At least. God save us all!”

Serious travel, Jocelyn decided and not for the first time in his twenty-eight years, was terrible. You rode hard for miles, day after day, each night pitching up in whatever lodgings you could find, mud splattered and weary. You paid too much for bad food. If you couldn’t find a noble household or abbey to claim hospitality at you made do with a good inn, and if you couldn’t find something decent you ended in a damned flea infested rat-house. Then you finally reached the coast, paid too much to board a tiny little flimsy wooden thing, and got stuck in a big storm, which the God damned crew cheerfully told you was just a little squall and nothing to worry about. Burn them in hell, bastards! He’d been across the Narrow sea a few times before, and it’d never been like this. Damn it, he’d hardly even gotten queasy back then.

“Oh, Jesù!” groaned Alain, diving for the pot.

The sound of him throwing up made Jocelyn feel like another go himself. He clenched his teeth on the urge and repeated inside this head a little mantra dear Tildis had imparted before he left, with the assurance it would help with seasickness. “I’m not going to be sick. I’m not going to be sick. I’m not going to be sick.”

Next thing he knew was he was shoving his squire out of the way in his haste to get to the pot. Yes, well, not even an hour later the bitch had gone and announced so his everyone could hear that he was a crap lover; of course her damned advice was poison, damn her! By now she would be all warm and cosy back in Saint Maur with the children. Lucky cow.

“Do you think we’ll sink?” asked Alain, when they had both wiped their mouths and settled back into their misery.

“No,” replied Jocelyn shortly. To make sure of it he rattled through a few good prayers and promised to pay for a pilgrim to go the Holy Land in his name if he survived. Not that he thought you could bribe the Almighty, of course. No, perish the thought! Just to be on the safe side he said a few Hail Marys in penance for even accidentally thinking that word. And a few more for the whore last night. Then a few for the woman the night before. And some for all the others on the trip. The noisy one he said more than a few for, just to be really very safe about things; four times in one night had nearly killed him then and it’d be a shame if it killed him now.

The ship rolled, kept on rolling, kept on dipping Jocelyn backwards, backwards, still backwards. He whimpered and drew a cross over his breast; they were going to capsize!

Or not; the ship righted itself a good deal faster than it had leaned over.

Taking the hint Jocelyn dropped to his knees and clasped his hands before him, closing his eyes. In a rapid mutter he managed a rather confused and repetitive mishmash, “Oh Lord, forgive me, a sinner. Mary, Gentle Lady, full of grace, forgive me and help me. Blessed Jesù, look on me kindly. Forgive my weakness. Forgive my mistakes. Forgive me for my language, and help me to mend. Forgive me for my blasphemy, and help me to mend. Forgive me for straying, and help me to mend. Forgive me for my unkind thoughts, and help me to mend. Forgive me that I kill, and help me to mend. Forgive me for not being a better husband, and help me to mend. Forgive me for my drunkenness, especially last Tuesday, and help me to mend. Forgive me my pride, and help me to mend. I shall confess and do penance as soon I hit land. I repent all, with all my heart. I’ll do pilgrimage to the shrine of Saint Edward the Confessor while in England. I commend my soul to you, oh Lord.” Crossing himself he levered himself back into his bunk. On the floor Alain was praying likewise, lips moving and words lost to Jocelyn’s ears.

It was all Richildis’ fault anyway, damn her! If she hadn’t said what she did he wouldn’t have needed to go to such lengths to prove her wrong, thereby imperilling his soul to stop those knowing little sidelong looks he suspected his men kept giving him when they thought he wasn’t watching. And it was her fault he’d nearly crippled himself with that damned noisy bitch and all. Four bloody times, and all that din had given him a headache, as well as a worn out cock and a painful lack of sleep which made the next day on the road hell, and his men had all been tired and glaring at him for being the cause of the disturbance. Huh, so had the other damned inn patrons, for that matter. Well, if they hadn’t probably kept looking at him like that in the first place then he wouldn’t have needed to, so it was their own fault. Not that he was trying to prove anything anyway, damn it! The stupid woman’s lies didn’t deserve even that little recognition!

Actually … Jocelyn’s eyes went heavenwards. They came back to earth, slowly. The ship pitched again, as it had been doing all too damned much since they left port.

He was back on his knees so fast they bruised, crossing himself and muttering away again.

Problem with God was that He knew everything, including - especially – the bits you didn’t want Him to. Wasn’t even safe to complain about your own damned wife, bless her soul!

One of the men he’d left to watch carried the message to him. Trempwick shouted the news aloud, battlefield bellow hushed by bone-deep weariness. Heard it carried on in breathless voices.

His bodyguard closed about him, Trempwick continued to fight. Fight an enemy with no heart, also hearing the news.

His reinforcements were here.

The enemy army was ground to weeping red pieces, trapped between his two forces.

The hunt was out all day, returning a little before dusk to a light supper, a meal so small couldn’t be called a meal at all, and so it didn’t break the fast.

Seated again in the queen’s place Eleanor picked at her food and wracked her brains. What had the hairy fusspot next to her gained with his game? What could he possibly have won from it? Something, that much she felt certain of.

Abruptly, Anne’s father spoke. “We have given much thought, and we find this fair and reasonable. We shall be most pleased to be your brother’s close friend and ally, as we were to your father before him.”

Hope that Anne had been wrong shot through Eleanor, made greater by the pause. The pause was so slight she could not have gotten a word into it if she had tried, which she did not, not trusting and expecting even in hope that she was not about to hear reasonable terms.

“The bond of blood shall be renewed; you shall marry Malcolm. The Archbishop of Glasgow himself shall annul the impediment and bless the union. You will bring with you as dower Alnwick and Carlisle, and all the lands between them, and all the lands south for sixty miles, and fifty thousand marks. Our army shall keep all it captures, be it of no value or great. However, we do allow that you may buy back certain items if they be of great import. In friendship we do ask that you supply another ten thousand marks to pay our troops, for it is well known England is by far the richer of our two realms and, however willing our spirit, our army does march as any other and have the same needs.” A hand – rings restored – rose to stroke that beard.

Eleanor waited to be sure he was done. Then she answered, gravely and with due thought and as much diplomacy as she could muster. She laughed. “A good joke; it rounds out the day’s entertainments well indeed.” So he wanted a tame extraordinary claim to the English throne he and future generations could produce at will, half the north, obscene amounts of money which amounted to several years of revenues for the crown, a bride for his disgusting son, and a chance to go to war to extend his ill-gotten lands still further while being paid so much that he would have money left over when the war was done. “I would suggest that you forgot to ask for the one true cross, restored to one piece from its fragments. However, I do find myself distressed you would make a joke of such a serious matter while showing reluctance to speak of it properly.” Time to try and put an end to his avoidance by being honest. “I shall not remain here forever; if I judge my mission here to be a failure I will go and put my resources to something which may be of good.”

The hand stroking the beard began making longer strokes, from chin to ends of the hairs. The edges of his mouth rose fractionally, Eleanor thought, though the flowing moustache made it hard to be sure. “We shall speak in due time.”

Alone in his empty tent, Trempwick sat on his folding chair and sipped a goblet of ice wine. His squire had cleaned the few gashes, put balm on his many bruises. Then left. His meal was for one. His drink was for one.

Outside the camp was noisy. Celebrating. Men at arms and poor knights gathered around fires, laughing, drinking, eating, reliving their victory blow by blow. The better sort splintered off into friendship groups doing the same, in better style. The inevitable whores would be in fine profit tonight. The same could not be said of the women captured from the other army.

In a while Trempwick threw off his outer layers and climbed into his empty bed. He slept with cold sheets and his hurts for company.

Phew! 17 pages!! 17 pages before spacing! 23 after! That is a frog-sized episode and a half! What a gamut it does run. Hmmm :squints at it all dubiously: It didn’t come out as planned. It was supposed to run about the thread of Trempy’s battle, with the others flashing in as brief but important scenes to contrast. Except Nell and Fulk on are fine form, relaxed, teasing and happy as they haven’t been in a long time (er, barring that wee tiff at the start), and … at least now it feels like that is needed. It feels right that there is some of their ‘fun’ stuff here; it balances things out, here and on an overall scale. I think. :scratches head:

Not perfect though. The humour is the thing which feels perfect here, and the Fulk/Nell bits. Trempy’s bits are mostly just right. The rest … varies.

The frog has been ill. Again. :sigh: Violent food poisoning. I was stupid enough to buy a sandwich instead of making one. Well, four days later and I’m mostly recovered. Could have posted this earlier, but the forum was broken.

If anyone cares to know what Fulk looks like to me, find a good version of Titian’s ‘portrait of a young man’. I had never seen the picture before in my life, yet the similarity is uncanny. All he needs is the crooked nose, hair which is more chestnut brown, and the correct clothing. Here’s a rubbishly tiny version (scroll down a bit; he’s the portrait, not the big scene ;p Alas, there is no good-sized image on the web; this is the best I could find) It just doesn’t look right unless it’s very large; the one I saw was A4 sized, in a new book we are stocking. Imagine my shock as I flicked through to see what was in the book, only to come face to face with Fulk. There’s a whole load of detail in the portrait, you see, and it is what gives the bone structure, the tiny laugh and frown lines on his face, the mellowness of those brown eyes, and the fineness of the overall features. On the small image versions he doesn’t look quite right. I brought the book, in the end, because I couldn’t find another good copy.

Avernite: I should hope so!! Why I ought to … :gives up: I just don’t have the energy left to continue that feeble joke. Me likes unpredictable :)

Coz1: Wait and see, wait and see. :D

:eek:

that took long to read. Seems like Joc is being himself again, Trempy is beating up Hugh again, Hugh is being annoying again, and the Scots are greedy buggers.

Oh well, it'd be nice and predictable if not for Fulk and Nell, who offcourse were being the strange people in the story. It was a nice story though, and I liked Fulk in it, a lot. Nell just had that part coming! :rofl:

It seems Anne's family is full of tests (hoops to jump through) for Fulk. Joust, Save the damsel, etc. If he is able to pull through them all with a bit of panache I think that his standing could rise, and perhaps he will close the status gap between Nell and he.