• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ahh, I like how Fulk handled that. Spoiled brats sometimes need to be put in their place, yep!

Though Malcolm is getting a bit too close to the truth, so I suppose it's good of them to be heading off soon.

The simple melody of the monks’ singing rose and filled the chapel, flying up to heaven on wings aided by architecture. One choir, one collective voice raised in plainsong.

The King of Scots said, “The newer polyphonic chants are glorious to the ears and to God, yet I find that single-line melody sung in unison by all has a certain soothing quality. All joined to one, working to one collective purpose; ordered. It is an encapsulation of perfection.”

This was his latest game. He had commanded monks to sing their hymns for the good of his soul; he had ‘invited’ Eleanor to sit with him in the balcony overlooking the chapel’s altar and listen. Hawise, one of Eleanor’s men, and a page waited in view at the stairs which went back down to ground level, in sight for the sake of propriety and deaf to all that happened, another side effect of the singing. This was her last day here; knowing that he must come to terms now or not at all put her in a state of anticipation, and of fear – what would he demand, and what if he did not? Negotiation itself could only begin from a reasonable start.

“Myself I have always had a preference for the polyphonic; I relish the complexity. The things two halves of a choir can do with a ‘glory halleluiah’ is quite astounding.”

The king beckoned to his page; the boy came running. As he knelt the king leaned down and whispered something in his ear. The boy bowed, and shot off, disappearing down the stairs.

Shortly thereafter the hymn branched off into a polyphonic version, one group singing the main line, another carrying an underlying melody, a third, softer set lending a supporting voice, the same tender words of reverence now possessing a rich depth.

Eleanor closed her eyes. “That is more worthy of being called soothing. You could lose yourself in it, if you but closed your eyes and let yourself drift.” Not that she disliked plainsong, or did not understand why some preferred it. With a rueful smile, knowing what choirs could and often did with this style of singing, Eleanor added, “Well, unless they move on to vigour, power and glory, or cheerful.”

They listened for a while. She kept her eyes closed, easier to let him think her mind wandered, and easier to think. Near-seamlessly the monks moved from the end of one song to the start of the next.

The sound of a throat being cleared reopened Eleanor’s eyes, in time to see the king’s hand reaching out to her a little before it came to rest on her arm. “You were not to have been the negotiator, I know this. You were to stand at this dead Miles’ shoulder and lend the weight of your blood to proceedings, watch and learn, and to be bartered away if it came to that.” Eleanor opened her mouth to correct him as to that last; he held up his other hand to forestall her. “No, whether you were informed or no, it is so. That apparently you were not informed and did not agree I find unsurprising, I must admit, and a sad abuse of you. It says much. I fear there is much in your male relations I do not appreciate, for all that I married my daughter to one.”

“And that in turn says much of you.”

Anne’s father removed his hand from her arm to smooth his moustache. “Doubtless.” The hand settled back on her arm, nearer her hand this time. Under two layers of wool Eleanor’s flesh crawled. “In recognition of all this, and of your intellect, I shall speak as plainly as the merchant my son accuses me of being. To support your bother – half brother? – I want much. I want the border, I want land, and I want money. I want the security of a bond of blood; you shall marry my son. This last is not negotiable.”

Eleanor tweaked her arm out from under his hand, conquering a grimace. “None of it is negotiable – it is a nonsense, oft repeated and always refused. It is unreasonable, and I shall not yoke myself to that monster of yours, and, as you appear to forget, it is judged by many that I already have a husband.”

The king took his hand back, expression wounded. “Someone needs must yoke the boy, lest he run wild.”

“You are his father, and it should have been done long ago.”

He chuckled, raised a hand to waggle a finger at her. “Yes, we have heard a considerable deal of your family’s opinions in such, and of its deeds in that sphere.”

“And again it says much of you that you would press your daughter to marry into that.”

“Ah,” the king mused. “My Anne did warn me of your claws. Consider this, though: you are but a kitten as yet.”

“I grow.”

“I do not doubt that you do. Truthfully, it is growth I am concerned with, desiring to nurture, if you will.” He indicated her brow. “Where is your crown?”

“I do not see a need to wear it presently.” Because she was not an insecure showy ponce, she added silently.

“No, not that cheap bauble,” he said impatiently, “your true crown. Where is it? Let me tell you. It is in England, with a thief’s fingers closing over to grasp it and take it from you. You refuse to stake your claim; your bastard brother runs loose, your supporters lack you, and all over there are many who take no side, waiting for something to push them one way or another. Here you are, asking for my help for that thief. Why, I do wonder, and the only answer I find is that you are too afraid.”

“Hugh is the rightful heir. He was named, groomed, and he is the only surviving son. He was declared regent in England during our father’s absence. My father’s intent as to the succession can be no clearer.”

“The first step is the hardest. From there all becomes easier. I too was once afraid; I believe near all of us who come to a crown fear at the very start, all except the Neros of the world. It is a great responsibility, a very great burden. But a rewarding one! To shape one’s people, to guide the ship of state, to have one’s decisions followed and bring sweet fruits. To see the mighty drop to their knees before you because they caught your eye …”

“The plots against you,” Eleanor picked up, in the same near-bland tone as he had used, “the threats to life and all those held dear, the endless struggles to hold the powerful in their place, the fighting. The responsibility for peace and the greater course of the realm, things so crushingly big-”

“That to deal with them is invigorating, the mark of one’s true worth, as ordained by God and confirmed in holy oil at the anointing. To be above all others-”

“And apart from all others, forever alone and never again wholly human.”

“To be something more.”

“And something less. To be a prisoner of a gilded cage. To needs must always be on the move, on progress over an entire realm, not a mere collection of holdings. To have to listen whenever someone wishes to speak with you; to have to give judgements, and ones which are approved of as well as just. To have to provide for the succession, and to endlessly have people eying you expectantly for the least hint of a child, to have them blame you for each daughter, for each miscarriage, for each stillbirth, for each hope which was raised and dashed by the lack of an heir.” Eleanor had watched Hugh suffer under it for a long time now, and Constance alongside him.

“To know that whatever the matter, whatever the circumstance, one’s will shall affect matters, not glance off or go unheeded.”

“To know that when disaster comes it rests on your shoulders, and happened because somewhere, somehow you chose poorly. That every death, every life shattered lies at your feet. That, ultimately, you will seldom be the one to suffer for your mistakes; others will bleed and die for it, not you.”

“To hold a place of import in the world.”

“To know that in holding that place I have destroyed hundreds of years of tradition. It is no light thing to break ‘what is, was, and shall always be’. People set their faith in it. May as well have the sun rise in the west; the change could be survived, yet the harm it would do. Things would never be the same again.”

“Almost you make rulership sound a chore.”

“It is. Like unto the little man who bails out a boat in a storm is a king.”

“Again, Anne had warned me.” The king tapped his fingers on the arm of his chair, giving the appearance of thought. “You will not consider it? My terms for supporting you are far more reasonable, as you would put it.”

“I have, many times over. I will not usurp my brother’s throne. I have been bred to support my brother, not supplant him; I lack the skills and the inclination. A woman on the throne would be a disaster; the nobles would use every opportunity to try their strength, taught as they are that it is a man’s place to rule over women. Then too there is the matter of trust; who could I give my army to? The necessity of having men fill roles belonging to the ruler too would be troublesome, taking power from the crown and giving it to men who already possess an abundance of it, putting them in a better position to try their hand at rebellion and thus making them more likely to do so.”

“One with the correct skills, and support, could overcome this and go on to great things.”

“Yes,” agreed Eleanor. “But I have neither, and I have a brother.”

“Then it falls to my third and final offer. This one I feel will be more to your liking, centring primarily as it does on renewing an existing arrangement …”

The product of a tired frog writing late into the night instead of sleeping like a sensible amphibian :yawns: There’s the problem with finally reaching the start of the sequence which contains loads of those scenes which pester frogs over and over, demanding to be written.

Avernite: Fulk says that he’s learned a lot about dealing with royalty from his various experiences, and he put that into practice with Malcolm. The key is not to show fear, to stand your ground, to keep a hold on your temper, and, every once in a while, threaten to warm their rears. :p :froggy shakes her head in despair at the knight’s lack of gravity:

Cliffracer: They don’t have his support. He’s playing with them for his own gain, that much they have worked out. What they (and readers) don’t know is why and with what end. Being a frog I know, and can say that soon it should all become clearer …

damn cliffhanger! :mad:

:p

Will Joc be in time for Nell to be proclaimed heir in Scotland? :D

Well, Nell is holding her own there. Not that surprising to me about her seeming unwillingness to grab for the throne of England. She has never seemed to me to be that interested in power. Happiness, Fulk, of course. But power over so many lives, no. Smart, tough as she is, she also realizes that the throne is indeed a gilded cage one can never escape. The seemingly ultimate freedom is in reality a constricting maze one must make their way through that trecherous thing every single day, with many hoping and some actively seeking to topple the monarch. Precariously the crown sits on an ever swiveling head with one's eyes narrowed in suspicion at the courtiers mouthing soothing platitudes while plotting to knife you in the back.

I can't blame her for not being all the eager to ascend to the top of such a vulcanic mountain, simmering and a roiling boil just under the surface ready to explode. No thanks, not interested. Can't blame her for wanting to avoid such. Good for her...

It's more than five o'clock in the morning, my eyes are burning, and yet i find myself still wandering around this... AAR (?), about to decide if going to work tomorrow is worth the feeling of me missing the story.

Eventually I would go to bed, because I'm such an irremediable love-theme addicted person and I was just reading the few updates after Fulk left ; I'm slowly beeing convinced (whereas this could as well be a nightmare of mine if you ask me) that the whole Fulk-love-story is about to be ended.

(Yes ; I'm at some point of the story that you wrote like one year and a half ago... yet I can't delay this post any longer. It's been for several days now that I spend every spare time I can find to read your story, Froggy... If you kept on writing only to a small percentage of your early rate of update I might as well be doing the same thing for a month from now and still wouldn't have reached the current ones.)

So I won't know for sure if this Fulk theme is truly ended right now (shall I keep on resisting to the temptation to give a faintly detached glance at the last updates) but I am highly suspicious that you really let this happen, even if my torned heart can not belive this true.

Anyway... my point was not to complain about the way it went, but to give this novel - I guess we can call it that - an immense praise. I may not have the english vocabulary, nor grammar, to write a decent one, but I'm quite confident in my ability to recognize talent for what it is. Hell, french was forbidden in your court, so I had to learn a lil bit of english and forge an opinion on my own :p

The story is addictive, to say the least. The characters are truly impressive, in their detailed behaviours, detailed thoughts and... err... well... characterisation (omg I feel like an ass trying to put my words in such close proximity to yours, really, but a slighlty proud ass, nevertheless :rolleyes: ). The details, speaking of which, are plenty, brilliant, never boring and more than often entertaining with most humor. Dialogs are nothing but a delight, especially beetween Nell and the poor Fulk. And the way your words come together... I'll probably never be able to know how it sounds to the ear of an english mothertongue reader, but to mine this is pure gold.

I won't lean over the last pages of the thread before long, hence I won't know if you managed to finish this book you were speaking of, but if not I wish you the best of perseverance and luck, as your work truely deserves to be acknowledged.

Well... I shall leave you now, with some kind of a secret Fulkish jealousy for those readers who kept up to the posts while you were writing them, right from the start, so they have most of your attention now. (but I shall consider myself lucky not to have known the agony of waiting after previous updates ^^)

PS : In addition to the aforementionned jealousy, to any of you readers who showed sympathy for Trempy : "I just hate you, plainly" :p

Last edited:
TiPiou said:
PS : In addition to the aforementionned jealousy, to any of you readers who showed sympathy for Trempy : "I just hate you, plainly" :p

Tssk. That comes bustin in here suddenly telling us what we have to think.. :p

Nice to hear another reader get hooked. Back when Froggy caught me, it only took 2 days to read all the updates till then, I can only imagine how long it'd take now ;)

Fortunately I was here from before the begining. I started with Red Hand until it was most rudely interupted by some legal issues. (Not your fault Froggy) But I am now not sure which would be better. I have been waiting with (sometimes) patience for each update and then as soon as I have read wished for more. Is that really better than being able to sit and read the whole thing through? I just don't know. But you are correct in that it is a superb story with excellent characterization. I am amazed that Frog finds the time to write as much as she does.

Eleanor looked up when Hawise reappeared with Fulk.

To her bemusement the knight struggled down to one knee in the middle of the solar and bent his head, but not before she spotted a purpling bruise on his cheekbone the size of a knuckle. “I’m sorry. You’ve troubles enough without me adding to them, and dangers enough. I shouldn’t have let him goad me.”

When had she last seen him play knight to her princess in private? Not for a long time. What had he done?! “If I admit I have no idea what you are talking about,” Eleanor asked, “will you think me ignorant, or merely a little behind? And do stop that kneeling, you will do your knee no good at all.”

When Fulk had regained his feet she was treated to a brief story of Malcolm being his usual charming self. “It’s not so bad,” Fulk added once the telling was done. “There was no other response I could make, not in public. A knight can’t stand such treatment without answer, and he can’t let his lady be slandered. If he does then he is no knight, instead a craven. The damage done to both our reputations would have been greater then.”

Reputation: what a thing to think of when the sadistic little rat had a new grudge. “Very pretty. How long did it take for you to think of that?”

“It came to me about the time I saw Hawise descending on me with grim purpose,” he admitted ruefully. He limped over to the bench she sat on, and plonked himself down at her side. Taking her chin in his hand he turned her face this way and that, peering at her. “Hmm. I was right. You’re not getting enough sleep; you’re getting dark smudges under your eyes.”

Eleanor jerked her chin from his light grip. “Charming. Next you shall tell me I have lines appearing, caused by stress.”

“Actually …” He smoothed the outer corner of her right eye. “But they should go without trace if you only stop fretting.”

Eleanor caught his hand, straightened the fingers out flat with her other, and placed it on his leg. A pat to make sure it stayed in place when her hands left it, and she said sternly, “I believe I called for the leader of my bodyguard, not my fool. I have summoned my council, such as remains of it.”

“Only Miles died,” Hawise pointed out.

Eleanor waved at the maid to sit somewhere. “The councillors Hugh gave me will be of no use; I can guess their answers, and those answers are detached from my goals. Of Anne the least said the better. She no longer has a place here.”

“What has she done?”

“Betrayed me,” Eleanor replied succinctly. Coming from such an unexpected quarter it had got in under her guard, and hurt. There was a chance the girl had meant well, a chance which relied on Anne being idiotically naïve and as brainless as a feather pillow.

Hawise sat down like her knees had buckled. “Never! She looks up to you-”

“Nonetheless.”

Fulk had become a duplicate of a statue of a knight on a tomb: motionless, expressionless, and in some way empty of the spark which made a thing look alive. He understood. He saw his own grave yawning at his feet.

“They do say like father like daughter, and we may only hope that I can exhibit a little of that. My beloved regal ancestor nearly always managed to twist gain from anything, including his own disadvantage.”

Fulk murmured, “She was our witness.” The only person they had trusted with the secret of their marriage.

Flooded with feeling for him Eleanor put a hand on his shoulder. “It is not over yet. We do have choices still, and if I have the temper and eyes then I must have the ability to twist also.”

His own hand came up to clasp hers like a lifeline. “I hope to God you do.”

“The King of Scots has made this offer. I can refuse it, and already I have driven his terms down to something more bearable. It is …” To describe in blunt words what it was would be pitiless, to use kinder ones understate the hideousness of the situation. Whatever she longed for, whatever she felt, she couldn’t think of it otherwise. That would be to blind herself and claim grass was blue, and then wonder at the green stains it left and be dismayed that no other saw it as anything less than green.

Eleanor removed her hand from him; if things went one way he would spend the span of his days hearing such things. Better for him to make his decision without being sheltered. “It is obscene. I have never heard of the like, never. It is unprecedented. Not only will it ruin me utterly but it will taint my entire family, for generations to come. Taint?” She produced a bitter, bitten off laugh. “Coat in dung would be a more apt term, save that it is still much too mild.”

Fulk’s stillness shattered. He caught her arms in his hands, holding on with a death grip. His expressionless face didn’t alter. “What did he offer?”

“For Alnwick, Rothby and Rochester, and the lands five miles to the south of those strongholds, eight hundred marks paid within a month of the treaty being signed and a further ten thousand to be paid in instalments over three years, and my marriage to his named man he is willing to renew the alliance and aid Hugh. The lands gained will be combined into a new earldom, and the holder of it shall be titled the Earl of Alnwick. The title shall be conferred onto the man he has chosen before our match is announced. Should I agree.”

He was strong, Eleanor’s arms ached at his grip. “Who is this man?”

“You.”

His hands spasmed, loosing and clamping back with more pressure than before, then dropped away. Colour fled from his face. Through numbed lips he said, “I don’t think I heard that correctly.”

“We do not have to, we do have the choice. We can refuse. If desired our existing marriage can be dissolved without difficulty or blame, unconsummated as it is.”

Hawise mouthed “Existing marriage!!” and gaped like a fish at them.

“We do have a choice,” Eleanor repeated. What she would do if he didn’t want her she didn’t know and hardly cared; very little would matter anymore. “He had this in mind from the beginning. He has been building for it. A false lineage would be announced for you; it is all carefully woven already. You would be the bastard son of William de la Bec, the Archbishop of York two men prior to our current. He died on his way to Rome to take up a post there. A very good family, now extinct.”

Hawise made her first contribution to the council. “It wouldn’t be believed.”

“It is not meant to be,” Eleanor replied. “If it were then it would reduce the damage. Our host wants his full pound of flesh. People would pay lip service to the idea here, in public, and for his aims that is all that is needed.” Pound of flesh? Damn it, the man had smiled as he told her that her father had ruined his face and now he would return the favour. As if her beloved regal ancestor had wielded the blade which cut the bearded git’s face personally! The attention to detail the wretched crowned ponce had shown was boggling, the slightest aspect turned to his favour, old traditions dug up, and all in the name of helping to disprove Trempwick’s claim on her and providing as much safety for them as possible.

Fulk leaned his elbows on his thighs and hunched down, staring at the floor. “Deny my father, who only ever loved me and wished me to be his heir. Slander my mother, assuming she’d still be that, by making her the five minute amusement of some unruly churchman. Go on, what else.”

“Married with full ceremony before hundreds of witnesses and the church as we will be, holding half the border as you will be, and possessing a rival claim as I am, Hugh would have to be constrained in his dealings with us. True, very few would follow me after this, but it would suit Scotland to have a laughingstock of a queen on their neighbour’s throne, one reliant on their support to keep her crown. Left with no other choice, I would have to raise my standard against Hugh. Pushed too far and you will go to Scotland for support. Imprisoned or murdered and Scotland will again have a legitimate reason to march; weak as Hugh’s position is he cannot afford that risk. Whether they will or not is not the point, the risk that they may is. But Hugh could never welcome us, assuming he wished to, which he will not. So he would always have cause to worry about our loyalty, and could never free himself of it, or of the scandal. He would always need to concern himself with a border which, until now, has been strong, secure from all but raids and the unlikely prospect of sieges where no relief can be provided from the rest of the country.”

Fulk’s head bobbed slowly as he thought all this through. “Jesù, we’d be exiles stuck in our own country. A pair of morbid curiosities. There’d be plenty who’d have nothing to do with us, others who …” He shrugged, a simple little rise and fall of his shoulders which spoke elegantly of what their life would be like. “They’d look on us the same way they would the criminal they’ve gone to watch executed.”

It would be bad. Eleanor knew that however often she tried to imagine the worst she would not cover a tenth of how it would be. It took other people’s inventive maliciousness to make a hell, a single mind could never manage the breadth of possibilities nor find its own unidentified sensitive points. Imagination could not tell how the endless parade of tiny little near-nothings could grind the spirit to dust. “We could not be sure of what Hugh would do, only that he would damn himself if harm came to us.” Eleanor added in a small voice, “But sometimes death is a mercy compared to life. And it would not be Hugh alone, but everyone.”

“I remember …” Fulk stood and began pacing about the room. His limp reduced as if he no longer cared about the pain his knee gave him. “I once asked my mother why she hadn’t wanted me. I was really young, but I knew that and I knew she adored me, and didn’t see how the two could be at the same time. She told me that she didn’t want to bear children who had no place in the world, who would have to win everything themselves or be stuck on the outside. That too I didn’t understand then.” He stopped, leaning one arm against the wall and letting his weight sag off his injured leg. “But which would it be, if we did this?”

Eleanor nearly answered that she did not know. “The outside, more than likely.”

He whirled, stumbling as his hurt leg took his burden and nearly failed. “How am I to hold half the north?” he cried. “How!? The nobles will have none of me, the common soldiers won’t be much better. I’m not trained for it – I’m no lord, no general.”

His answer came from the direction of his elbow, Hawise. “But you are becoming famous, and a skilled warrior. That, and money, would go some way with the men at arms, wouldn’t it?”

“A little way with some, not a long way with hundreds, and not when the nobles stand against me.”

“Fulk.” When he returned his attention to her, Eleanor said not unkindly, “Do not ask questions to which you already know the answers. How do you think you would hold it? With that.” She pointed at the sword he wore belted at his side. “How else could you? As for the rest, you will learn or you will die. No different to any other new-made lord taking land which does not want him. Yes, a far worse start. But the same path. More dangerous, harder, yes. The chance of success is slim. Yet it is there. At least your lady will be at your side, not wanting you dead so she can have her lands back and be free of your hated presence. I promise you that anything I can do to support you I shall. You will have my army, and support from the King of Scots; you shall have to talk warfare with him to determine what.”

“If I failed you’d be doomed along with me.” He limped over and dropped to his knees before her, taking her hands in his. “Beloved, oh ‘loved, you would be throwing away your future! Think of all that you would lose. You might not want the crown now, in the future you may. Even if all were to go as perfectly as possible you would still have lost your respectability, your chance at power, you’d still be reviled-”

“I know,” Eleanor said gently. “And I say again, we do not have to.”

He finished the thought for her. “But it is very probably our only chance.” He gazed at her hands, his thumb stroking the cheap twist of gold ring he had chosen for her more than half a year ago. “You would agree to it?” Fulk shook his head in dismissal of his words. “No, if you wouldn’t you would not have told me of the offer. Dearest, have you not thought of what it means?”

“It took me hours to call for you. From here the decision is yours.” It did require hard thought. Love, whatever storytellers said, did not frequently overcome insurmountable odds; it was a very great risk, and much of it dealt with unknowns which could only be bounded as not being to either extreme of the good/bad scale. Love died easily under the kinds of strains they would encounter if they accepted the deal. Continuing as they were they might preserve what they already had. And it was in no way certain that such sacrifices had to be made no matter how deeply one was in love, indeed it was possible to argue that from one point of view the most devoted thing to do would be to walk away and leave the other safe.

“I can’t ...” His protest died. Fulk licked his lips. “No, I’d have to, wouldn’t I? To try and play earl I’d have to make important choices, often. So if I can’t manage this first one …” He glowered at her from under his brows. “You’re a very underhand gooseberry.”

Eleanor glowered back. “I was thinking no such thing! I thought it unfair to decide your life for you, or to place you in such danger without it being of your own will. Which, to twist your own recent words, is why I would not make a good queen.”

“My God,” he breathed, “but we are in trouble.” He glanced at Hawise. “Anything sensible to say?”

The maid had recovered from her earlier shock sufficiently that she no longer resembled a halibut on market day. Now she was the perfect picture of serious calm. Eleanor envied her. The maid shook her head vigorously, and said a little louder than her usual softness, “No!” Perhaps the composure was not as extensive as it looked. “I don’t think sensible is possible in this, I really do not. He’s offered you what you want most and can’t get otherwise with the things he wants most attached so it’s all or nothing. There is no sensible in there; either way is its own folly. In any case, it is none of my decision to make. I’m her Highness’ maid, and will continue to be so as long as I’m wanted, whatever happens.”

Fulk worked his way back to his feet, giving himself a push up with Eleanor’s hand and the leg it rested upon. “I think I began to fall for you that evening when we first came to Woburn, when I found what you’d done to save my life. It’s been a very long drop, and I’m convinced you stuck out a foot to trip me as I innocently approached the precipice to look over and see what it was.” His crooked half smile died. “Seems a shame not to see what’s at the bottom.”

Eleanor’s stomach declined to cease its nervous fluttering, the world didn’t change, nothing happened. Which all went to prove that those stupid stories were entirely detached from reality - when people who might or might not be described as true loves condemned themselves to marriage they did not pause for a few minutes to engage in a bit of celebratory kissing, no angels appeared, the maid didn’t start exclaiming banal clichés of joy, and no mysterious strangers burst in to announce that someone was heir to a lost kingdom.

Hugh was going to kill her when he found out. Metaphorically speaking. So would Trempwick.

Eleanor tugged the hand Fulk still held, insisting he sat down to rest his knee. He would need to be in good fighting order as soon as possible. “You crept your way into my heart while I was not looking, and by the time I noticed you had set up a neat little fortified camp complete with archers in towers on the perimeter.” She sniffed. “It was hardly chivalrous.”

Yes, I know I said they couldn’t marry. Which is true – it requires something Incredibly Astoundingly Miraculously Extraordinary (but hopefully not something which feels like it is convenient or wouldn’t happen in reality), like a king bent on using them for his own freakish blend of revenge and power-gaining based on information gained from a chattering 13 year old dreamer.

You know, I admit I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what people will think of this development. None.

And the King of Scots said, “You must be the son of a very great man …” And the frog echoed his silent addition so that now the readers could hear, “Like a former Archbishop of York who was also one of the last de la Becs … or whoever else is opportune.” :gring:

Obviously there is loads more to say. Either I tell it now, or I show it as we go. The latter is by far preferable; one multi-page extra lengthy dull bit of exposition per 1,000 pages is more than enough, and that was used up back when Nell announced Trempy was a traitor. So a bit of patience when judging will be appreciated. I think I have this working in a believable way …

The being kept dangling for well over a week wasn’t intentional. Work. More work. Some more work. Seven days and no day off or proper half day. Gah! When I tried to write I either didn’t have time or was too tired. Look, I can sum up how bad a week it was if I simply say I read one (1) book in the entire time, rather than the usual 5 or more. It was horrible - to get to this part in the story at long last and to be unable to do anything at all!

Now, I shall depart! :froggy jumps on the horse she had standing by and rides at top speed to her secret frog castle, which has been newly strengthened with a second moat, a third curtain wall and a whole load of ballista towers. Hiding in the keep she settles down to eat, sleep and read (all three at once if possible, separately if not ;p), knowing she is safe from angry mobs trying to gut her if such should prove the case:

Avernite: I believe the Joss question just got all the more complex. :D

Amric: Some neat turns of phrase there, makes me wish I’d thought of them first and used them in the story. And the mental image of Nell perched on a volcano as it quakes and rumbles, the tremors threatening to shake the crown right off her head is quite hilarious! :rofl:

Welcome, TiPiou :) Here’s the traditional eyedrops :hands over eyedrops: I’m glad you are enjoying it so far, and hope you continue to do so. You made me blush with all that praise.

Hold on to that willpower, don’t peek at the current events of the tale! You would spoil things so badly.

Don’t worry about your English – it’s fine, more than. :)

Igaworker: All that waiting should be doing wonders for your patience. Either that or you’re getting twitchy and people are slowly staying further away from you as you mutter to yourself, “Need more, got to have more, been four days, FOUR!! Got to be time for another dose now, got to be …” ;)

Crusher Neko: Crusader Kings? Heh, it’s been over a year since I loaded it up; not even on my PC now. It couldn’t and didn’t do what I hoped it would.

Muttering? Me? Well, the nice lads in the white coats don't seem to mind my mumbling at all. They give me water that tastes a little funny, but it always seems to calm my nerves. ;)

I must say that I did but didn't see this coming. I really did figure that there would end up some way that the two could be married on the "up and up". However, this was not the way that I had pictured it at all. I didn't really have a clear picture, but the hazy one that was there didn't look anything like this. I am afraid that this way will lead to some uncomfortable writing for Ms. Frog though. I see a lot of war/fighting in Fulk's future and I know that is not your most favorite thing to write. But as you have said, the story goes where it wants and you don't have a lot of say in it. Good work Froggy!

Good heavens, this is still going on? Looks like I might want to do some (read: a massive amount of) catching up and start following along again, althought that might take a while (that's an understatement).

I'll especially have to see how Trempy's doing these days. ;)

I saw this one comming a while ago. The offer to support her is she wanted to take the crown, I wans't expecting. I would guess it was an attempt to stir up the civil war in England. Hmm... All of the offers seem to directly weaken Trempwick's position. I would guess that having him on the throne would be generally bad for Scotland

:eek: :wacko: :eek: :eek:o :confused: :wacko:

yeah, that about describes my reaction.

I'd never, EVER expected it. I presumed they would stay secretly in love untill she was queen, at minimum, and maybe even then be stuck in semi-publicity.

Essentially, they renounce all they ever held dear, their parents, their country, their reputation, for the SLIGHT possibility that it could work out.

I sure hope Joc is running north. Because I think it'd be a letdown if they both get killed by a simple armed rebellion.

i can't say i'm surprised, but then again, i can't say i was expecting that either.

heh... i've been remiss. i have been reading this for quite some time, but only got around to creating an account in the last few weeks, and to saying hello in here today :)

.... words fail me when discribeing this ... novel? heh. it's just that good. heck, a lot of the time when our froggy author is complaineing about how something doesn't flow right, or looks wrong...

i read it and it looks great. of course, that means nothing when it isn't what you were trying for in the first place, but still.

i can remember only one update, i think, where i was left sitting there thinking that there was somethingw rong with it, and i can't for the life of me remember which one it was.

but, yeah, this is really really good. keep it up :D

oh, after rereading my post a bit I think I should add this:

I've never had an impossible love yet :p

The stone ball sailed through the air. It hit the castle’s outer wall. The barely visible chip in the facing of the wall might have enlarged marginally. Or not – Trempwick couldn’t tell. His hand shaded his eyes from the sun. It did nothing for aiding detail over the long distance.

The trebuchet crew started to haul the throwing arm back down.

The second trebuchet launched its missile. The result was the same.

Chester castle was strong. One of the keys to the border and the seat of the Earl of Chester. The Earl was in residence. Letting his hand drop Trempwick made his decision.

Chip, chip, chip away. The castle would fall. Eventually. After a boring siege where his talents would be wasted. The bastard’s forces were severely weakened along the Marches. It would be time before – if – reinforcements could be sent them. The Welsh could handle this.

Nothing yet from Nell. He wondered if he would get a reply. Surmised possibly not. Not a written one, not a spoken one. Too many days had passed. He worried for her. His reply would come in deeds? He had spilled out his heart in a way he rarely did. He deserved some reply.

He would return to London. Make sure all was right there. Then do something.

When he entered the common room one of the English men at arms, seated facing the door, rapped his mug on the table and pointed. Heads turned, bodies shifted. Then faces broke into welcoming smiles. Two men seated at the high end of the long trestle table came to their feet so quickly that they knocked into each other; they retreated a couple of steps backwards, both offering their stools to Fulk with a light bow.

Fulk accepted the rightmost seat, conscious of the triumphant look the man whose place he’d taken gave the other as they went to find new places on one of the long benches. A drink was poured and handed up the table, placed in easy reach with a murmured, “My lord.” He drank, hiding his shock behind the earthenware rim. It grew, and every tiny growth never failed to surprise him. From welcomed as a man amongst men when the first men were recruited in England to … this, some sort of celebrity. More than that – he was respected.

Alfred asked, “Do we stay or leave, my lord?”

Fulk drained his cup before answering. “We stay. For now.”

Luke leaned forward. “So he’s finally put forth a decent offer?”

“I couldn’t say. But we’re staying, for now.”

At the middle of the higher end of the table Waltheof steepled his hands. “It was good to see someone stand up to the Nefastus, my lord.” The Scottish knight’s mouth hardened. “There is a bright point to my situation – I’ll perhaps not have to pledge fealty to him.” Waltheof was originally the second son of his family, sent to train for the clergy at seven and home again at twelve to train as a knight and heir, a change of career granted by his elder brother’s death. Then his father had died, his mother remarried; the lands had been held in jointure, Waltheof would only inherit when his mother also died. A new brother appeared in due course, and the stepfather had done his all to make his own son the heir. Waltheof had been thrown out with horse and armour the day after he was dubbed, that being done as soon as could be managed with decorousness. When his mother died he would have to appeal to royal justice for his lands, or return home with an army and chase his half-brother out. There was no certainty to either approach.

Someone barked with laughter. “The little runt fair near soiled himself!”

The room laughed or grinned, excepting Fulk.

Luke jumped up, hunched down to half his height and shook a fist up at an imaginary person. “Damn you! I’ll crush you! I’ll break you with my bare hands!” He hopped up and down a few times, miming trying to strangle someone far taller then he. “Damn you!”

The corner of Fulk’s mouth lifted. “It wasn’t that bad.”

Luke hopped once more, then stood up properly. “My lord, you didn’t see it.”

“Besides, the lad’s of good height for his years.”

Waltheof mused, “In truth that is so, and you are of no more than average height and build. Still, isn’t it said that a man’s stature comes from many things? And in the contrast between callow youth and experienced man such things would only further the gap, wouldn’t they?”

The room sat in a contemplative silence.

Waltheof’s neighbour gave him an amicable punch on the shoulder. “God damned escaped Scottish monk!”

Eleanor reviewed her letter to Hugh, skipping over the opening preliminaries, and felt newly grateful to Trempwick for insisting she learned to write, a menial task usually delegated to a clerk.

The missive was brief. It grovelled, and she hated it. Begged for his understanding, pleaded with him to wait for her personal explanation before forming judgement or acting, implored him to see the many advantages. It reminded him of his words to her before she left, that she give any marriage she were offered serious thought. It listed those advantages before Fulk was named, at the very end, as the husband she would take, and listed them in a servile way founded on Hugh’s own gain. No longer could she be seen as his rival for the throne. No longer could Trempwick claim her as his wife, and the claim would be proven as false before numerous witnesses of excellent birth. The rebellion would be gutted in a single stroke. The lands yielded to Scotland would as good as stay within English control; a good part of the money paid over to be granted to the new Earl of Alnwick, who would in turn give it back to the crown. The border would remain secure. Eleanor cast the document down, unable to read more. To see herself sum up her marriage without the barest mention of affection or happiness made her uncomfortable, as though the words might curse it.

It wouldn’t help. But better he heard it from her than another, and better she try and plant the speeds of gain in his mind than not. Constance might help nurture those seeds and calm the outrage; Eleanor prayed her sister-in-law would not abandon her completely or, failing that, would help prevent further damage for the sake of her husband and unborn child.

She took up her quill again, her hand wavered over the space at the end. Letter by letter she inscribed her plain signature at the end. The quill returned to the table; she scattered sand over the wet ink.

The letter was rolled, tied and about to be sealed when she changed her mind. Spreading the sheet back out she grabbed her quill and added five words beneath her name, feeling and her haste to get those words added lending her hand some character. “Brother, he is my soul.”

Hawise answered the knock on Eleanor’s bedchamber door. One of the two men assigned to guard duty in the antechamber stepped in with a deep bow. “Your Highness, princess Anne is here and requesting to see you.”

Eleanor had done all there was to do, waiting for the hour of None and the audience with the king that awaited. She may as well get this over with. “Send her in, then see we are not disturbed.” Soon she would be able to exempt Fulk from that without it looking very strange.

Anne hardly waited until the three of them were alone before she burst out, “It is wonderful, isn’t it?”

Eleanor raised an eyebrow. “Is it?” She said to Hawise, “Let us have a third opinion, to break the tie. Is it?”

Anne sat down next to the maid and her embroidery. “Oh, of course it is! You get to marry him, and he becomes an earl, and the treaty is made again without either of my families paying too much, and so everyone is happy.”

The very many things Eleanor had planned to say to the girl evaporated before a flare of anger at her situation and how she’d ended up in it. Reduced to near incoherence she snapped, “Of all the ways to sink, done in by attempted help stemming from my kindness!”

Anne quailed, looking close to tears. “But you get to marry him, and this is the only way that you ever could, really.”

“Yes, I do, and yes, it is.”

“So you get what you wanted.”

“I wanted,” Eleanor gritted out, “a nice peaceful life with a knight with a crooked nose, living mostly forgotten but doing the odd bit of work to help Hugh and keep life from getting dull. Fat chance of that now. Did you ever think of what our lives will be like?”

“You will be together.”

“Which we already were. Granted, it might not have lasted, granted it was limited. And you promised us you would never say a word – now I cannot trust you with anything, one of my very few allies and only friend in Scotland as good as gone. Though I suppose it is only what I deserve for being idiot enough to trust someone so naive.” Eleanor massaged her temple, willing her temper to fade; being pitiless with Anne would only make her feel guilty later. “Oh, enough! For now I have had enough of trying to bail out the boat while a sea monster chomps at the hull and lightening toasts our sails. Set up the tafl board or something.”

The appointed hour came and Eleanor went to give the King of Scots her answer. With Fulk at her side.

Fulk said, his voice – he hoped – filled with confidence and power, “The lands are not enough. You would offer me an earldom – I want an earldom. Not a few cast offs.” Jesù, he was split between terror and wonder and trying to bargain with a king who was offering him his heart’s desire. His heart’s desire had given him some very strict instructions; he saw the sense in them and his reeling wits had done their own work to add and alter. Having done much of what she called her part, Eleanor sat silently at his side; she said it was time for him to begin playing the lord. Together they had gone through everything and decided upon what they could and couldn’t offer, what they had to have, what they needed in varying degrees of import. They? Fulk had deferred to her judgment in all save the military aspects.

The King of Scots raised his eyebrows. “Cast offs? Three key holdings along the border.”

“Two keys and one useful minor castle. Three holdings on a tiny strip of land barely enough to support them, with one city and one town and miscellaneous other settlements in need of protection. I’d never be able to man and supply the three castles – let alone the rest - fully, nor live the life I’d been raised to, nor keep my wife in decent state.”

“So greedy, for one offered so very much.”

“Greedy?” Fulk cocked his head slightly to one side. “Because I refuse to enter a death trap? That’s what this would be – I’d be torn to bits. I’ll need men, supplies, well maintained walls, and the promise of such continuing well into the future. And I’ll never put Eleanor at risk.”

He got the impression the king was laughing at him and hiding it. “Is that so?”

Fulk set a hand on Eleanor’s arm, protective with a hint of claiming which made him giddy with elation – and with terror. He felt her muscles coil, his emotions echoed by her. After so long of hiding this first show of honesty was no small thing. “Yes. Married we face new dangers, it’s true. But if all is done right I can guard her from them, and from older ones I couldn’t do anything about before. You want things done rightly, it benefits you. If we die or fall then so it all ends; as we live so too does the effect we’ll have.” It was all so much posturing. Eleanor had told him – and Fulk could see it for himself – that much was left to be negotiated to the final terms. The lands named, the support offered, and much else, all of it needed thrashing over into something acceptable to both parties. It was their job to wring as much as they could from the king.

The King of Scots stroked his beard. “If more lands were yielded then we may be persuaded to assign them to the new earldom.”

“No.” Fulk set his right hand down on the tabletop, spread flat. Jesù in His blessed heaven! He was arguing with a king! “No. I will not have it said I came to my bride with nothing but lands taken from her. You would have me be your earl? Then give me something of yours also. You would remake the border? Then do so; don’t just nibble a bit away from the old one and partition it off as something separate.”

If Fulk had ever thought the transfers of land between kings and the creation of earldoms a glorious thing then this hammering out of his earldom relieved him of his belief. It was like bargaining for a new horse at a market, only far slower and with the fetlocks replaced with towns, the gait with people, the spirit with resources, and over all the eerie awareness that the lives and places they were speaking of were very much like those he’d grown up with and in. Once he could have been passed along to a new lord as easily as this.

The final result saw him set to gain lands seated within a rough circle, starting at Embleton on the north coast, arcing gently westwards and southwards to Rochester, south to Bellingham, and then eastwards to Ashington, once again on the north coast. The lands had been taken from both kingdoms, the contribution being around equal. It had roughly trebled his earldom’s size, something Fulk observed cynically. Thus inflated Alnwick could be no more than a third of the size of the existing earldoms in both kingdoms. A third of the size and destined for a great many more troubles.

The King of Scots said to Eleanor, “Your castellans will surrender to their new earl when requested?”

“They will. If I go in person.” The majority of the border lands in question were property of the English crown, overseen by castellans selected by the former king. Knowing that the handing over of some or all of them may be required, Hugh had endowed Eleanor with the power necessary to her role as figurehead for the mission, and sent orders to them to open their gates and hand over control if told to by her; a very specific set of key words and sentences were to be used to ensure the handover was in no way compelled by threat. The other lands were held by lords, many of them currently sided with Trempwick. As traitors they stood to lose their lands if Hugh did not show clemency. The faithful lords would be offered new lands elsewhere along with compensation. Then same combination of royal held lands and brought off lords applied on the Scottish side.

Fulk held little hope of it all going smoothly.

“You will do homage before the full hall for your lands.”

Fulk replied easily, “There is no problem with that.” All the better to have so many witnesses. Eleanor had told him to play things there so her little attempt at a twist was unforeseen.

Malcolm the elder stated, “I will loan you five hundred men, to help you assert yourself, and thence to march under your banner against Trempwick.”

Five hundred. Too many to make him anything other than this king’s creature, under his wing and standing close and therefore an enemy in the eyes of the English. Too many to make him popular with any of his new subjects; loyalty to either kingdom was generally more flexible here in the north, and many claimed themselves to be of the North rather than English or Scottish, yet an army was an army – the only time you wanted it near your home was when it was protecting you. Too few to be the aid Hugh wanted. Too few to seriously oppose Trempwick’s power in the North.

Five hundred men paid by and sworn to someone other than him, selected by that other, serving only as long as that other permitted.. Unreliable, in every sense of the word.

Fulk’s palms were slick with sweat; a trickle ran down his back. His mouth was so dry, his sips at the wine provided did nothing to alleviate this and he dared not risk fuddling his wits by the tiniest measure. Frequently he asked himself what he thought he was doing. “Your offer is generous, but I’m afraid I must instead ask you for money with which to raise my own force.”

“You will be my man; I support my own. I will not have it thought otherwise. I understand your desire to control your own and begin to build the retinue with which you will maintain your hold on your lands. Forty pounds, and four hundred men, and not otherwise.”

The haggling went on for … Fulk couldn’t hazard a guess, save that it was a long time and felt like more. He’d take two hundred and fifty men and ninety pounds. Too many men and not enough, too much money and not enough. A Scottish force of three thousand would raise rapidly and head into Northumberland to harry Trempwick.

The King of Scots refilled his goblet, hording the vessel of wine close so that if they wanted more they would have to ask his leave. “I must say I find you most disappointing, the pair of you. I hear all I hear, and find my mind strained to imagine such a depth of the attachment, and begin to find myself curiously eager to witness this manifestation of a Tristan and Iseult, or whomever. What do I see? Two people who might not care a jot for one another. No different from that which you ever were in my eyes.” He ran a finger around the rim of his gold cup, then flicked the rim with a fingernail, setting it ringing. “This will stop.”

Under the table Eleanor slipped her hand into Fulk’s. “If you are saying what I think-”

“I am saying that when the secret is revealed you will act like the pair of true loves you are meant to be. I will not be made to look a fool.”

With difficulty she kept tight rein on her temper. “And nor will we. We are not an exhibition. All will be as it should be, according to our choice. Not yours. That is not alterable.”

“I believe my point is made clear.”

The double doors flung open with such force that they rebounded off the wall and nearly hit Malcolm as he passed through. He took in the threesome gathered. “So it’s true,” he accused. “Anne was right. God, to think I said you wouldn’t sink so bloody low.”

The King of Scots rose. “Malcolm-”

“You lying bastard!” The boy advanced to stand toe to toe with his father. “You lied! You promised her to me!”

“If you cannot win your intended bride over-”

“Shut UP!” he bellowed. Malcolm jabbed his father in the chest with a finger. “Liar! It’s obvious you never intended her for me! Like you never did put that clause in Anne’s marriage contract. You bastard!” He gave the older man a hard shove with both hands. “You knew I’d never allow it, so you lied. You said that he couldn’t touch her until she was older, but you lied!” The king reeled back another step as his son lashed out again. “It wasn’t him who broke the contract – you never added the bloody clause!”

Fulk found himself restrained by Eleanor’s hand on his arm, clenched about his bicep and pulling him close to her. She must have seen him tense, ready to defend either of them if the prince turned in their direction and mistaken it for an intent to aid the king.

The older Malcolm drew himself up with remarkable dignity. “It is not for you to decide anything. I am king, and your father; you are subject to me.”

Malcolm spat in his face. “There aren’t words to describe such a creature as you!”

The king wiped the spittle away with the back of his hand, and cleaned that hand by hitting his son across the mouth. “Boy, if you had the sense to see then you would learn much from what I do.”

Malcolm stumbled back, face showing white above the hand he clapped to his mouth. “Finally dirtied your own hand? Bah! In a few more years your balls might even drop, and a few years from then you might be something worth calling a man.” He removed his hand, checked it for blood and dabbed at his mouth. “Oh, I see. I see that you’re mating royalty to shit, debasing all that we are by doing so, and helping a fool squander her chance at the crown, instead letting some bastard shit have it. I see that you’re giving the things you promised me to an English nothing, and I see you’ve deceived me for too bloody long!” He took another backwards pace, looking over his shoulder at Eleanor and Fulk. “And I see I can’t stop it. Not now. It’s too damned late. Jesus bloody Christ, but I’d stop it if I could, anything but let this fucking travesty go ahead!” And another step. He stood with his chin in the air, left hand holding the scabbard of his long dagger below where the hilt met the case. “I’m leaving. Going back to my own damned lands with my own court, back out from this pissing stuck up collection of lack-moraled bastards of yours. Don’t know why I bothered to come in the first place; it’s always the same, your honourless scuttering about makes me bloody sick to the very core. And I won’t have a part in your ‘war’, if you ever bloody well thought to let me, which you won’t have, being so damned set on holding me back and treating me like something weaker than a puling girl.” He pointed at his father. “Hear this, if nothing else goes through your bloody deaf ears: marry Anne off again like that before she’s old enough and I’ll raise my banner against you. I swear it. And don’t you fucking dare to harm my future any more than you already have; someone has to repair all that you’ve bloody been gone and done.”

The king said calmly, “Your rebellion would be crushed, Malcolm.”

“Maybe. Maybe not. At least I’d have tried. That’s what you’re too bloody afraid of – failing.” Malcolm stopped his walk out level with Eleanor, pausing with the table between them. “He’ll use you until there’s nothing left, then drop you. But I think you’re not stupid enough to be a passive victim. You or your future… husband.” He said the word as though it burned his tongue. “So. If you want an ally, I might be interested. Possibly. But you’re still so unbelievably God-damned fucking stupid for agreeing to this. But then it’s well known women let their emotions rule them and seldom think; bloody weak-minded.”

Some dreams went on and on, the dreamer aware and restive and unable to banish the scene that was drearily real and unsettlingly unreal at once. Usually it was the unpleasant dreams which did this, longevity in proportion to their disagreeableness. Being stuck in one while waking was a rare thing; Fulk couldn’t find a better way to describe this council, now drawing to its end. Hours had gone by, that much he could say with certainty, passed in a formless expanse measured only by the diminishing of the sun and the burning down of the lights lit thereafter.

Fulk found some cheer in the fact that his many dreams of marrying a gooseberry had never managed to be half as boring as this reality, or half as terrifying, or half as dangerous. Or half as wonderful.

The king rose, ending the meeting saying, “The alliance will be announced tomorrow morn, early. At the celebratory banquet I shall raise my earl, and set the marriage in motion, according to the design we have discussed. The muster of the two armies shall begin the day after.”

Blergh, I’m a very tired frog, and it appears amphibians in dire need of a holiday don’t write too well. Talk about your uphill (failed) struggle to add some pep into this thing. My eyes are so tired the screen makes them burn.

Those who have read the whole thing through recently and take notes on everything including the slightest detail (I don’t actually expect there to be anyone doing that!) will have noticed a short time ago that something wasn’t tallying between William’s, Anne’s, Malcolm’s and the King of Scots’ accounts of the Anne/William wedding and contract. There you go, the discrepancy is finally cleared up, and brought to the eyes of everyone else.

Now I’m going to go and try to catch up on my reading. Or, more likely, fall asleep with a book crushing my nose. Reading lying down might be more comfortable but it does have its downsides.

Igaworker: Actually, it’s the wedding and all which will be the worst to write. Probably the worst bit of the entire story. Warfare and the like I don’t mind doing, I just know I am not very practiced at it and that it is very easy for it to be boring or repetitive.

You know, my own vision of where they would end up didn’t look anything like this either. Remember some months ago … er, more like a year or more ago I suppose, I said that the characters had broken free and changed the story dramatically? This was part of those changes. The original plot came from the characters, but as they grew and developed then the story changed with them.

Judas: Long time no see :D Yep, still going. 902 pages long in Word now.

Crusher Neko: The offer to put Nell on the throne was a go at a better resolution for the King of Scots. Imagine, Nell on the throne because of him, reliant on him to keep it, and very probably married to Malcolm, meaning his son being ruler of England in all but name and some detail and his grandson (if one can be managed) legitimate king of both. A long shot, and win condition number 2 (as I call the Nell/Fulk marriage) is still good.

Avernite: Not all they held dear – they still have each other. :p

Chargone: Welcome. Here’s the eye drops :hands them over: It’s very good to hear that even my off key moments work :) Shame you can’t remember which update it was, but never mind; don’t let it worry you.

Cliffracer: Yes, she’s finally going to marry Fulk publicly.

Well, Nell marrying an earl with the blessing of a king is good enough for my old-fashioned mind--even if it is in Scotland. :rolleyes: :D. Looks like this still is going to get messy, though...

EDIT: And no gutting Trempy, please. I'll take responsibility for him when the time comes. ;)

I find myself agreeing with Malcolm the younger, and I hate it.

I hereby renounce my Nell, Fulk and Anne fanclub membership. Trempwick for the win!

I mean, seriously, he's the only alternative now to the failure that is Hugh...

And where's mister Jocelyn being held up? Will the North march for Nell if she is announced heir now? I doubt it...