• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, Bruce, very nice.

I just did a little wandering back to Book II. I'd forgotten all about Sean and Forster.

And the origin of Constance, for that matter.

Last edited:
Excellent recap LD :)

Could oyu refresh my memory, where did the attack on Venice take place? The one that had Guillaume ousted and Sforza caught before the gates?

V
I'll have to dig into that, V. Too much lore to remember. Where's Driftwood when you need him? :)

HG: Yeah, to think that a major character like Constance came out of a simple post by Forster. Just goes to show how writers run with things and add to the Free Company's colourful history.

A note to Veterans: Any of you have OOBs from Books I to V? I lost all that during the great HD crash a few years back.

Nothing beyond what you posted on your website or in the various OOC threads

I did some read back and noticed something funny. I actually think that my writing got worse in the last book best in the middle and strangely enough, my best parts was when i wrote for mrT's pasha when he disappeared :D

V

EDIT, LD how did you get your avatar back up in here?

EDIT, LD how did you get your avatar back up in here?
I begged :).

The Admins are slowly getting around to sorting out some problems from the update.

I'm reading over the first few posts in Book V that recap Last Bastion, and Constance wrote this: We learned that Venice had risen against our dear friend Francesco Sforza, and inflicted a crushing defeat - a defeat that had cost the life of Guillaume, friend of Syban and my husband.

It's amazing from reading the OOC thread for Book V just how alive and enthusiastic everyone was, and how many new faces came on board. I hope we can recapture that here.

Excellent recap LD :)

Could oyu refresh my memory, where did the attack on Venice take place? The one that had Guillaume ousted and Sforza caught before the gates?

V
Here you go: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1443446&postcount=1283 and http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1444121&postcount=1292

These were from Book IV, when Mr.T as Sforza and Secret Master as Doge Foscari squared off. There's more, but they are interwoven into the main siege of Constantinople storyline.

I'm reading over the first few posts in Book V that recap Last Bastion, and Constance wrote this: We learned that Venice had risen against our dear friend Francesco Sforza, and inflicted a crushing defeat - a defeat that had cost the life of Guillaume, friend of Syban and my husband.

It's amazing from reading the OOC thread for Book V just how alive and enthusiastic everyone was, and how many new faces came on board. I hope we can recapture that here.

Indeed.

I've been reading Book IV. That was a lot of fun. And there was a lot I'd forgotten. I don't suppose anyone has a quick synopsis of what happened to Venerio/Akbar after I was through with him?

I'll need to read through Books V and VI, of course, but there might be something workable there.

Bruce, you never answered my question....Is there a particular part, Infantry/Cavalry/Scout that you would like me to create a character for?

Bruce, you never answered my question....Is there a particular part, Infantry/Cavalry/Scout that you would like me to create a character for?
Sorry, been trying to juggle a hundred things and I'm not sure until I see that OOB redwolf is supposed to send me. Off the top of my head the main NPCs joining the group are Kent and the heavy cavalry (though there's only a few of them left ATM), LeClerc and the infantry and Lochlan and the scouts. Give me a few days to get the feel for what's what before I can give you something more solid.

Bruce, let me dig around and see if I've got any OOBs or anything of use.

I don't suppose anyone has a quick synopsis of what happened to Venerio/Akbar after I was through with him?

I do. I may be the only person who remembers. ;) I'll shoot you a PM -- which I need to do in respect of the rest of the Syban family anyway. ;)

I’d be itching to participate if you’d have me and I have given it a good and long thought. It’s just that I am afraid that my own rather slow and ponderus method of working isn’t really fit for an undertaking that requires thinking and writing on your feet. Adding to this the time-zone issue, slight as it may be (thanks for all the replies), and the fact that it is very likely that my job will in February take me into Turkey and away for access to the net, it would be irresponsible giving in to my urge to apply. Sorry. :(

If that'd be possible, I'd be delighted to join, if you would have me.

I guess that a master gunner, provided the FC has artillery, could be good choice, as such a guy remains a bit aloof and detached from the majority of the soldiery.

This is embarrassing, but I can't get my books straight and the LibrAARy seems to be linking two seperate books as one. Book IV was Constantinople, yes? And then there was one subsequent Book or two? That is, was Spanish Road (i.e., Saul and Amina Plagiarize The_Hawk) Book VI or Book VII? Originally?

Or, er, now it's Book X. I suppose that means it was originally Book VII, unless the spinoff is Book VII. If so, does somebody have a link to the actual Book VI? The one I think I wasn't involved in at all but definitely need to read, given how things appear to be shaking out. I think it's called For Whom the Bells Toll. The LibrAARy link sends me to Bloody Retribution, which (I believe) was Book V.

This is embarrassing, but I can't get my books straight and the LibrAARy seems to be linking two seperate books as one. Book IV was Constantinople, yes? And then there was one subsequent Book or two? That is, was Spanish Road (i.e., Saul and Amina Plagiarize The_Hawk) Book VI or Book VII? Originally?

Or, er, now it's Book X. I suppose that means it was originally Book VII, unless the spinoff is Book VII. If so, does somebody have a link to the actual Book VI? The one I think I wasn't involved in at all but definitely need to read, given how things appear to be shaking out. I think it's called For Whom the Bells Toll. The LibrAARy link sends me to Bloody Retribution, which (I believe) was Book V.

Check The_Hawk's signature - he's got them all linked and numbered.

Perhaps we can convince you with a few guest spots... We require a couple of antags with limited exposure.
That could be interesting, certainly :)

Oh, this is niftier than I thought it was at first glance. May I get in? I guess I need to offer up a company-member, eh? Something ala the Black Company? I'm doing a hard, Conan-esque mercenary pencil-and-paper mercenary game at the moment (always as a gm, never as a player) so this is intriguing to me. Are there many limits on the role I might pick? I am thinking some kind of unpopular hard luck case with a crossbow, maybe an older smart guy.

The_Guiscard: Glad to have you aboard. I like your idea. I'll PM you so we can knock it around.

HG: I did it all on purpose to screw with your head. You know that, right? :) I'll fix up the entries when I get the chance. I renumbered The Spanish Gold to Book X because it took place 120 years after the events of Bells. This leaves me wiggle room in case there is the possibility of a Book VIII & IX. I have to revisit my Inkwell spot too.

stnylan: That's great news. I'll get you more details ASAP. We're getting slammed with 3 snowstorms over the next 5 days so real life will be interfering...

Mettermrck: Great to see you! First there will be a series of pre-determined posts that set up the storyline. After that we open it up and start the story in a tavern setting so you can ease in your character. Typically I use the first few days to allow the writers to get used to their characters, to mingle with other characters, and get used to the idea of feeding off hooks that other writers leave. It may sound daunting, but it's surprisingly easy, and there will always be someone to answer questions or offer help from this OOC thread if needed.

phargle: Thanks for checking this out. The FC is a great way to work on characterization, conflict, collaboration, etc. But being a GM you are probably familiar with that. A The Black Company fan, eh? Wonderful. My favourite fantasy series. You character idea sounds fine. As I mentioned to Mett, you'll have time to work him in. Part of the fun of the FC is watching your character develop over the course of the Book, make friends, enemies, get drunk, chop off heads, shoot them through the liver, whatever. Speaking of The Black Company, are you familiar with their Pen & Paper RPG? Or is that the one you are using?

Last edited:
Ok put my name down for a minor role. I'll have to think up a character now. What type of characters do you need if any?