• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Speaking of The Black Company, are you familiar with their Pen & Paper RPG? Or is that the one you are using?

Yeah. It's a massive, massive book. My wife likes to say that Glen Cook doesn't really get roleplaying games, so he gave the developers permission to make one book, and the result is a massively-bloated setting offering. We didn't buy it - it was also too expensive for a game we were unlikely to play - and I use GURPS and my own awful imagination for our mercenary game instead. We borrowed heavily from the sensibilities of the Black Company, though.

When do I have to post more on my character for this?

Count me in - I've been hovering on the edge for too long, it's time to stop wavering and go for it.

Two questions:

1) Should the character be an established member of the Company in Ancona, or will you be picking up recruits in St Malo?

2) What's the political situation in 1450 France in the FC-verse? If I go by history, the French should be mopping up the last English holdings in Normandy and Brittany (including St Malo) will be allied to France (and not very interested in any land grants made by Henry V), but the Free Company have changed history before, so how do things stand?

Haha, it seems I have beaten to the punch with all these characters :D

But it would be upmostly sweet to still participate. With so many participates I suppose I could do a fill-in scene kinda like the prologues of George RR Martin, those are always fun to read.

Oh shoot, my mind has already been sent wandering...

Tylo Dirsk, a german fanatic, sounds interesting...

HG: Patience, my man. I've been shoveling snow all day :). I'll send you a PM shortly.

The Swert: Excellent. Though the pace can be breakneck at times, you'll find your own speed. We work to accommodate everyone. I'll post a 'sitrep' as soon as I get the chance--hopefully tonight. That should give you some ideas.

phargle: I almost picked up the rulebook last year, but I'm kind of in no-man's land re: people interested. I have the same problem finding critique buddies that don't live 200+ miles away :). I don't need your bio right away. I still have some more background info to post. Give it a few days. I'll likely post a bio of my characters first, to open the gates.

merrick: Great! I was hoping you'd give into the dark side. Question 1: Either. Details to follow (hopefully) tonight. Question 2: You been peeking? :) I'll lay out the political situation in a future post. It won't be entirely historically accurate, as you alluded. Damn that Free Company buggering up history, anyway... :)

EDIT: comagoosie: Didn't see you. Tylo Dirsk? Hmm... :)

This is a good time to mention the Free Company's association with the Preview Reply button. You will find the Preview Reply button your best friend during busy times, and save you a lot of grief before posting something that contradicts the post that went in just before your :). I'm sure there will be testimonials from a few of the vets about this...

Last edited:
For evidence of the above, one need only browse the Books for the various places where MrT's posts are credited to me, my posts are credited to StNylan, StNylan's posts are credited to Driftwood, Driftwood's posts are credited to RathJones and RathJones' posts are credited to MrT.

For evidence of the above, one need only browse the Books for the various places where MrT's posts are credited to me, my posts are credited to StNylan, StNylan's posts are credited to Driftwood, Driftwood's posts are credited to RathJones and RathJones' posts are credited to MrT.

I think I got a bunch of LD's somehow in Book VI? But, yes, consider this my testimonial. ;)

Good to see a lot of life! I think we're going to have a quality contribution to the FC legacy here...

LD, I'm thinking of at least one character....Wilhelm a double bladed axe wielding heavy cavalryman in his thirties. Still thinking about the other one and whether to do scouting or back to the infantry...I'm leaning more toward scouting as it would be something different than Amric, of course.....:)

LD, I'm thinking of at least one character....Wilhelm a double bladed axe wielding heavy cavalryman in his thirties. Still thinking about the other one and whether to do scouting or back to the infantry...I'm leaning more toward scouting as it would be something different than Amric, of course.....:)
Something other than a duel-bladed whirling dervish sergeant with attitude and no balls definitely sounds good. Not that I have anything against Amric... :) (the character, not the member, folks...)

I got caught up with a few things, so I didn't have a chance to prepare what I wanted. Regardless, here's a brief setup outlining the rough composition of the Company that journeys to St. Malo.

In essence, about 200 Company members land in St.Malo to reprovision for a trip to England. The Company people break down like this: 100 infantry, 50 light cavalry, 25 heavy cav and 25 scout/rangers. This includes existing characters, NPCs and one body (sorry, the body's taken). You can either create a character that fits into one of those groups, or you can come up with someone that arrives at the 'tavern' to sign on. The latter gives you a bit more flexibility in choice (archer, crossbowman, axeman, berserker, etc). Nationality is no problem. If you want to PM me a character so we can talk it over, fine. I usually don't ask to preapprove someone, unless it's a historical figure. Historical figures are usually worked out ahead of time.

Also note that St. Malo was awarded to the FC by Henry V, so they have a legal claim to it. One character, Derek Pullem's Otto, was a cannon master. It's been mentioned that captured ordinance that couldn't be used or sold was shipped back to St. Malo, so there's a good chance a few pieces guard the walls along with some veteran cannoneers.

This should give some of you a bit more to work on. More later, including the political situation and the existing characters that went East and can't be used.

Not that I really mind axe wielding cavalry men as such... but it fits the description of Johan almost to a fault.......

Ofc if he has Amric's temper and nosyness (is that a word? :p) and gets into every possible part of the action he will be Johan's complete opposite :D :D

I'll need to find out if Johan follows or stays in Ancona, if he stays I'll figure out a different char at some point :p

V

Well, hell, V...I forgot Johan used an axe...but since they are both German it wouldn't be that much of a stretch that they both use an axe...He won't be like Amric...Wilhelm drinks, he'll have his balls, and he can't be EVERYWHERE, 'cause the heavy cavalry isn't everywhere....:)

My biggest thing with Amric is that when I was new I WANTED to be everywhere and into everything...Nowadays with Journey I have people in different places so that someone is always in the action, as it were....

Just so people can get an idea of things, I have created a short bio for Wilhelm so that new people get a general idea.....I didn't put in everything as it is nice to let a character develop as the story goes along....There is much more to learn about this man....

Height: 5’ 10”

Weight: 190 lbs

Physical Characteristics: Short cropped blond hair, blue eyes. Heavily muscled arms, shoulders and torso. Well muscled legs.

Weapon on choice: Double bladed axe.

Languages: German, English, Italian, French, a smattering of Hungarian.

Bio: Wilhelm is a long time vet of the Free Company, having joined them just before the Hungarian campaign that culminated at Belgrade. His overly muscled body has developed due to the great strength required to swing his mighty axe in battle.

Okay, I'm going to post a pre-lim character...let me know if this doesn't (or does!) fit the bill!

"One Eyed" Gunther

Height: 5'10"

Weight: 170lbs

Physical Characteristics: bald crown, the rest of his close-cropped hair is steel-grey, as are his large muttonchops. Physically, he is un-imposing though he does seem fairly strong.

Weapon of Choice: Gunther carries a halberd and a short-sword. He also has a steel breastplate.

Bio: Gunther claims to be a veteran mercenary whose previous employer recently disbanded his army. He also claims to have lost his eye in combat. Both his impressive muttonchops and his breatplate are well cared for and both are worn with great pride.

following the trend...

Tylo Dirske

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 165

Physical Characteristics: Slim young man, classic example of a man from German peasantry. Though slim he is sinewy from working on the farm.

Weapon of Choice: English longbow that he used his life savings on. Also has a cheap composite bow to pratice with.

Bio: Hearing of the FC while a boy (maybe by a relative who retired form the FC?) he vowed that he would some day become a member. He knew that he would have to pratice during the night after he put down the plow to become accepted. Knowing that swords and lances were too expensive he inherited a simple bow from his father. Devoting all his available free time to hone his skills he soon became an outcast in society, as he didn't seem to fit with the peasantry. He then saved up all the money he had earned and set out to find the FC. Using one half to buy a used long bow and the other to buy a trip to St. Malo. Personally admiring Amric from all the stories he has heard, Tylo desperatly wants to be accepted and will stop at nothing to be.

Last edited:
Thanks Amric. That's excellent. The part about letting the character develop is key. Let me just add to that...

Create as much info and backhistory about your character(s) that you want, but introduce it sparingly through actions and conversation. There's no need to infodump all at once. Trust me, it works better this way.

Also, regarding numbers, sometimes a character will come along with a retinue (say if he's a landless knight). For this story I'd like to keep any retinue below 5.

Nice, AP. The touch about the breastplate and muttonchops is just the type of thing that other writers can work from.

I like your idea, comagoosie, including the fact he's young and ambitious. A lot of the existing mercs are tired old vets, so young blood adds something that can be utilised. One suggestion, though. It's not common knowledge the FC has gone to St. Malo. I would make his appearance there a happy coincidence. On the other hand, I have an idea forming in the back of my ancient head. Let me work it out and I'll PM you in a few days.

I have been thinking of a new character for me. Do we have a priest in this group, yet? I was thinking of Father Aleksy Strophski, a 26 year old young Eastern Orthodox priest of Russian descent.

Height: 5'8"

Weight: 132

Physical Characteristics: Bookish young man with no practical experience. He is the fifth son of a boyar from the Pskov region with no hope of inheriting the title.

Weapon of Choice: Strophski is very handy with the staff in close combat.

Bio: Strophski was the dreaded fifth son of a boyar and as such had the air of importance with none of the power. He can be arrogant and snobish but if you befriend him, he will be loyal to you for ever. He is a very emotional character who loves to drink and tell tall tales of his great Russian ancestors.

Well, there are Fathers Falkenberg and Holmes. They're getting on in years by now, though, I should think (as are most of the officer corps. ;))

Well, there are Fathers Falkenberg and Holmes. They're getting on in years by now, though, I should think (as are most of the officer corps. )

That is what I thought. They are both probably too old to campaign.

Besides, it might be interesting to have an Eastern Orthodox priest along...

Dietrich Langschwert

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 200

Physical Characteristics: Tall burly man with especially strong upper body. Long flowing blonde hair, green eyes.

Weapon of Choice: Bastard Sword, Buckler and backup Katzbalger sword

Bio: Part of a long line of warriors from Kassel, Dietrich used to serve the Landgrave of Hesse but became bored with the peaceful nature of his liege. After offering his services around Germany for several years he headed West towards France.

Languages: German and French

Last edited: